Tag Archives: 6

William A. Lucas

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 196

William A. Lucas. Among the alert and enterprising men who during the past
several decades have utilized the opportunities offered at Huntington for
business preferment and attained thereby a full measure of success is William
A. Lucas, whose career is typical of modern progress and advancement, and who
as a man of affairs ranks among the contributors to his community’s
betterment. Mr. Lucas, who is engaged in the real estate business, was born
at French Camp, Choctaw County, Mississippi, December 6, 1875, and is a son
of John and Margaret (Carter) Lucas.

John Lucas was born in 1836, at Chester, South Carolina. When the war
between the states came on he enlisted under the colors of the confederacy,
his commanding officer being General Longstreet. Under this leadership he
fought throughout the period of the war, establishing a splendid record for
bravery and faithful performance of duty. At the close of the struggle he
moved to Choctaw County, Mississippi, where he passed the rest of his life in
agricultural operations of some extent, and died at French Camp in 1901, when
sixty-four years of age, respected and esteemed by all who knew him. He was
a stalwart democrat in his political convictions, was fraternally affiliated
with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and belonged to the Baptist
Church. Mr. Lucas married Miss Margaret Carter, who was born in 1850, at
french Camp, where she died in 1895. Six children were born to this union:
Minnie Lee, the wife of Charles A. Torbert, a banker of Ackerman,
Mississippi; James Walter, M. D., a physician and surgeon of Moorehead,
Mississippi; Hattie, who died at French Camp when but three years of age;
William A., of this review; Edna, who died at the age of three years; and
Margaret, the wife of Porter W. Berry, superintendent of the agricultural
school at Senatobia, Mississippi.

The early education of William A. Lucas was acquired in the public school at
French Camp, following which he pursued a course in the academy there, and
then enrolled as a student at the University of Mississippi, from which he
was graduated as a member of the class of 1898, receiving the degree of
Bachelor of Arts. While attending college he was a member of the Phi Delta
Theta Greek letter fraternity. After his graduation Mr. Lucas became an
instructor at Jefferson Military College, Washington, Mississippi, and
remained with that institution for a period of eleven years. In 1909, he
came to Huntington, West Virginia, and embarked in the real estate business,
a field in which he has gained something more than ordinary success. His
offices are situated at Nos. 1204-1205 First National Bank Building, and he
is secretary and treasurer of several land companies and enjoys the full
confidence of his associates in his various ventures. In political matters
Mr. Lucas supports the principles and candidates of the democratic party. He
is a member of the Huntington Chamber of Commerce, and has been a generous
supporter of worthy civic enterprises.

On June 14, 1905, Mr. Lucas married, at Washington, Adams County,
Mississippi, Miss Fannie Belle Raymond, daughter of Dr. Joseph S. and
Margaret Paxton Raymond, of Rockbridge County, Virginia, both now deceased.
Doctor Raymond was for forty years president of Jefferson College. Mrs.
Lucas is a graduate of a young ladies’ seminary. Three children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Lucas: William A., Jr., born May 29, 1906; Margaret
Raymond, born August 3, 1908; and Minnie Lee, born May 3, 1913.

W. C. Wickham Renshaw

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 21, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 79

W.C. Wickham Renshaw is a leading member of the bar at Huntington, former
representative in the Legislature, and is a man of unusual gifts and
accomplishments. Prior to becoming a lawyer he was in the civil engineering
profession.

Mr. Renshaw was born of American parents but his birth occurred in a foreign
land. He was born at Oratava, Teneriffe, Canary Islands, November 19, 1882.
His grandfather was William Renshaw, a native of Madrid, Spain, of English
ancestry. For many years he was in the British diplomatic service, and some
of the more important posts which he held were in Spain and Venezuela. He
married a Spanish lady, Miss Beatrice De Medicis. Robert H. Renshaw, father
of the Huntington lawyer, was born at Bristol Pennsylvania, in 1833, but was
reared at Caracas, Venezuela, where he aquired his early education. He
graduated A.B. from Harvard University in 1855, and for several years practiced
law at Baltimore. During the Civil War he was a captain in the Confederate
Army, and following the war he settled down to farming in Clarke County,
Virginia, where he remained until 1900 and then retired to Charlottesville,
where he died in 1910. He was a democrat, a member of the Episcopal Church
and the Masonic fraternity. His first wife was Miss Lucy Carter, a native of
Virginia and their only child, Charlotte, died in infancy. His second wife was
Maria Carter, of Philadelphia. To this union were born two children: Charles
C., now sales agent for a coal company in Philadelphia, and Maria deceased.
The third wife of Robert H. Renshaw was Anne Carter Wickham, who was born in
Hanover County, Virginia, in 1851. W.C. Wickham Renshaw is their oldest child;
Frank is a civil engineer at Huntington; Robert is a road building contractor
in Snow Hill, Maryland; and Julia is the wife of Alfred R. James, and
architect at Cleveland, Ohio. Mrs. Renshaw was married in 1920 to Dr. W.E.
Byerly, retired professor of mathematics of Harvard University, and now lives
in Waverly, Massachusetts.

W.C. Wickham Renshaw grew up in Virginia, attended private schools, including
the Clay Hill Academy in Clarke county, and in 1902 graduated Master of Arts
in the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. He is a member of the
Alpha Tau Omega Greek letter fraternity. For three years he taught at
Chattanooga, Tennessee, and then followed his career as a civil engineer, a
profession that engaged him in various districts of Tennessee, Virginia, and
West Virginia. He first came to West Virginia in 1899.

Mr. Renshaw continued his profession as a civil engineer until 1914, in which
year he was admitted to the bar and since then has been busy with his work as
a lawyer. He is a member of the firm Vinson, Thompson, Meek & Renshaw, with
offices in the Holeswade Building.

Mr. Renshaw was elected to represent Cabell County in the House of Delegates
in November, 1916. During the session of 1917 he was chairman of the taxation
and finance committees, and a member of the judiciary, mines and mining,
labor and other important committees. He was elected as a democrat. He is a
member of the Episcopal Church, the Kiwanis Club of Huntington, the Guyandotte
Club, Guyan County Club of Huntington, The West Virginia and American Bar
Association, and is a director in the Huntington Development and Gas Company
and president and director of the Guyan Big Ugly & Coal River Railroad.

His home is at 1105 Eleventh Street. In November, 1911, at Richmond, Virginia,
Mr. Renshaw married Miss Martha Chaffin, Daughter of Richard B. and Sarah
(Harvie) Chaffin.

Harry E. Webb

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
April 13, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 407

HARRY E. WEBB, of Huntington, is one of the efficient
and popular executives of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad,
his official position being that of superintendent of the
Huntington and the Logan divisions.

Mr. Webb was born in Kanawha County, this state, not
far distant from the City of Charleston, and the date of his
nativity was November 17, 1881. His father, Benjamin H.
Webb, was born in the Virginia County that is now Gilmer
County, West Virginia, in the year 1847, and died in the
City of Charleston, October 27, 1921. Benjamin H. Webb
was reared in Gilmer County, and there continued his resi-
dence until the early ’70s, when he removed to a farm near
Charleston and became one of the leading members of
the bar of that city. As an able lawyer he built up a
large and important practice, he was a loyal advocate and
supporter of the cause of the democratic party, served sev-
eral terms as justice of the peace, was a soldier in the
Confederate service during the last year of the Civil war,
was affiliated with the United Confederate Veterans and the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and was an earnest
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, as is
also his widow, who still resides at Charleston. Mrs. Webb,
whose maiden name was Almira V. Barbour, was born in
Franklin County, Virginia, in 1857, a daughter of Capt.
William C. Barbour, a member of the Thirty-fourth Volun-
teer Infantry, Company C, Wise’s Brigade, Lee’s army. He
was killed in action a few days before Lee’s surrender.
Of their children the eldest was Della, who became the wife
of John H. Thompson and who died near Charleston at the
age of twenty-five years, Mr. Thompson beng [sic] now a resident
of the City of Chicago; Arian is the wife of Charles W.
Brown, train dispatcher for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
in the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Harry E., of this
sketch, was next in order of birth; Naomi is the widow of
Mark O. Jarrett, who died in Kansas, in 1918, and she now
resides with her widowed mother in Charleston; Kathryn
is the wife of Allen T. Peyton, a contractor and builder
at Charleston; Mary is the wife of Cabell Pearse, mine
superintendent for the Carbon Fuel Company, with resi-
dence at Jochin, West Virginia; Louise is the wife of E. C.
Hanna, auditor and treasurer for the Carbon Fuel Company
at Carbon, Kanawha County.

The rural schools of Kanawha County afforded Harry E.
Webb his early education, and in 1900 he graduated from
the Capital City Commercial College at Charleston. For
two years thereafter he held a clerical position with the
Kanawha & Michigan Railroad, and he next was engaged
in clerical work, for eight months, for the Cardiff Coal
Company at Oakley, Kanawha County. On the 10th of
June, 1904, he initiated his clerical service in the Hunting-
ton offices of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, and on the
1st of November, 1914, he was advanced to the position of
train master of the Clifton Forge division, with head-
quarters at Clifton Forge, Virginia, where he remained until
November 1, 1916, when he was transferred to Logan, West
Virginia, as train master for the Logan coal district. May
1, 1917, marked his promotion to the position of superin-
tendent of the Logan division, and since March 1, 1919, he
has been superintendent of the Huntington and Logan
divisions, with headquarters in the City of Huntington. He
is a stockholder in the Junior Oil & Gas Company, the
Huntington Development & Gas Company and also the
Scrantoneed Container Corporation of Huntington. He is a
member of the American Association of Railway Superin-
tendents and is a democrat in politics. In addition to his
modern home property at 805 Lincoln Place, Mr. Webb is
the owner of other realty in Huntington, and also at Logan.

At Griffithsville, West Virginia, August 25, 1915, occurred
the marriage of Mr. Webb and Miss Harriet W. McClung,
daughter of James and Mary (Rosson) McClung, the father
having been a retired employe of the Adams Express Com-
pany at the time of his death, in the City of Huntington,
where his widow still resides. Mrs. Webb graduated from
the Huntington High School and thereafter attended the
University of West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Webb have
three children: Harry E., Jr., born December 9, 1916;
Mollie Rosson, born September 26, 1918; and Barbour
Hays, born October 2, 1920.

William H. F. Dement

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
“John “Bill” Wheeler”
wheeler@gru.net
December 10, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume ll.
pg. 115-116

William H.F. Dement. During the ten years required to advance himself from
the rank of messenger to cashier of the Huntington National Bank, Mr. Dement
manifested an unflagging devotion to his work and the ideals of service
exemplified by that institution. His influential and useful place in the
business community is a reward of merit, a distinction well worth the effort
required to achieve it.
Mr. Dement was born in Proctorville, Ohio, June 4, 1889. His paternal
ancestry came originally from France and Germany. His grandfather, William
Dement, was born in Noble County, Ohio, following the trade of blacksmith in
Lawrence County, and died near Wilgus in that state. His great-great-grandfather
carried the first mail in a canoe, from Mariette to Cincinnati, Ohio. Henry E.
Dement, father of the Huntington banker, was born near Wilgus, in Lawrence
County in 1853, grew up there on a farm. became a blacksmith at Bradrick, Ohio,
where he married, and since about 1880 has lived at Proctorville. With the
development of the automobile he adapted his trade to the requirements of that
industry, and for a number of years he has owned and operated a public garage.
Since 1919 he has owned a farm and large apple orchard in that section of Ohio.
He is a republican. His wife, Cors J. Forgey, is a daughter of James Gorey, a
captain on the Mississippi River during the Civil War. She is a granddaughter
of Gen. A.F. Fuller of the war of 1812. Mrs. Dement was born at Bradrick, Ohio,
in 1860. Of their children, Ruby D., a resident of Huntington is a widow of
Charles Heinz, who was a blacksmith; Carl is manager of the home farm at
Proctorville; Orla E. is associated in business with his father; Roma is the
wife of Charles E. Rose, a millwright at Guyandotte, West Virginia; William H.F.
is the fifth child; Velmer is also associated with his father in business; and
Valgene is connected with the home farm.
William H.F. Dement graduated from the Proctorville High School in 1907,
and soon afterward came to Huntington, graduating from Booth Business College
of that city in 1910. Mr. Dement on October 29, 1911, began his service with
the Huntington National Bank as a messenger boy. His increasing experience and
ability brought him successive promotions, and he did the work of individual
bookkeeper, discount bookkeeper and general bookkeeper, was promoted to
assistant cashier and on August 1, 1921, was elected cashier, Besides his
executive duties with this large and important bank he is interested in the
home farm and orchard.
Mr. Dement is a republican, is affiliated with the Proctorville Lodge No.
550, A.F. and A.M., Huntington Lodge No.313, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the Tri-State Credit and
Adjustment Bureau. Recently, in 1922, he completed one of the excellent homes
in a restricted residential section at 51 Ninth Avenue.
The only important interruption to his service with the Huntington National
Bank came in the World War. June 14, 1918, he enlisted, was sent to the
Training Detachment Public Schools at Hughes High School in Cincinnati, was
there two months and was then transferred to the one hundred and fifty-fourth
Depot Brigade at Camp Meade, Maryland. On August 14, 1918, he was assigned to
Company H of the Seventy-first Infantry in the Lafayette or Eleventh Division
and later was transferred and assigned to the personnel office. He received his
honorable discharge January 31, 1919, with the rank of Corporal. Mr. Dement is
unmarried.

William Carter Wickham Renshaw

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

746

RENSHAW, WILLIAM CARTER WICKHAM.
(Democrat.) Address: Huntington, West Va. Born
November 19, 1882, at Teneriffe, Canary Islands, was
educated at the University of Virginia and received from
that institution the degrees of B. A. and M. A.; is a
practicing attorney; received his professional education
at the University of Virginia and the University of West
Virginia; was elected in 1916 as one of the delegates from
Cabell county; in 1917 was made chairman of the com-
mittee on Taxation and Finance and filled the position
in an able and satisfactory manner; served also on the
Judiciary, Labor, Elections and Privileges, and Mines
and Mining committees.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

William Nathan Clay

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 733

Members of the House of Delegates.

CLAY, WILLIAM NATHAN. (Democrat.) Address:
Barboursville. Was born in Wayne county, West Virginia,
April 3, 1865, and received his education in the public
schools of that county; farmer by occupation; elected Jus-
tice of the Peace of Barboursville District in the years 1904,
1908 and 1912; elected as one of the representatives from
Cabell county in the House of Delegates in 1916; in the
sessions of 1917 was assigned to and served on standing
committees, as follows: Elections and Privileges, Insur-
ance, Humane Institutions and Public Buildings, Edu-
cation, Executive Offices and Library.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Marshall A. Maxwell

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: MAXWELL, Marshall A. (published 1923)
*******************************************************************
Submitted by
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 15, 1999
********************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 208

MARSHALL A. MAXWELL, assistant to the president of the
A. J. King coal interests, with headquarters at Huntington,
is an electrical and mechanical engineer with twenty years
of experience in mining and public utilities in different
parts of the United States and Canada.

He was born at St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada,
January 14, 1875, son of Joseph Henry and Emily (An-
drews) Maxwell. Both parents were of United Empire
Loyalist stock, the families being originally settled in Vir-
ginia and Connecticut. M. A. Maxwell was educated in
the common and provincial normal schools, spent some time
as a teacher, and in 1902 graduated from McGill Univer-
sity at Montreal with the degree Bachelor of Science in
electrical and mechanical engineering.

The same year he moved to Easton, Pennsylvania, became
assistant to the chief engineer of the Easton Power Com-
pany and was promoted to superintendent the same year.
>From 1904 to 1908 he was a member of the firm Beadle &
Maxwell, consulting engineers, with office at 82 Beaver
Street, New York. From 1908 to 1910 he was at Boston as
general superintendent of the Massachusetts Lighting Com-
panies, a group of gas and electric public service properties.

Going to Alberta in Northwest Canada in 1910, on ac-
count of his health, Mr. Maxwell formed the engineering
and contracting firm of Maxwell & Mackenzie. This firm
covered a broad and successful field of operations until the
outbreak of the war, when the entire personnel enlisted with
the Canadian Expeditionary Force except Mr. Maxwell, who
was rejected on account of age and physical condition.
While in Northwest Canada Mr. Maxwell was instrumental
in the development and operation of the Round Hill Col-
lieries, Limited, of which he was managing director, the
Spicer Coal Company and the Stoney Creek Collieries,
Limited, of Alberta, in all of which he is a large stock-
holder.

Mr. Maxwell in February, 1915, came to Logan, West Vir-
ginia, as general manager of the Logan County Light &
Power Company, a corporation organized to supply electric
power to the coal fields of Logan County and vicinity. This
company was successfully developed, and was sold to the
newly formed Kentucky and West Virginia Power Company
in 1919. At that date Mr. Maxwell retired and has since
been associated with A. J. King in the administration of
coal properties, and is also interested in various other
public service corporations.

Mr. Maxwell is an associate member of the American
Institute of Electrical Engineers, the Engineering Institute
of Canada, is an executive of the Kentucky and West Vir-
ginia Mine, Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and is a
member of fifteen years’ standing on the Engineers Club of
New York. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and
the Masonic Order. In December, 1902, he married Edna
Beatrice Clinch, of St. Andrews, New Brunswick.

William Presley Mcaboy

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 727

McABOY, WILLIAM PRESLEY. (Republican.) Ad-
dress: Huntington, West Va. Born at Rutland, Ohio, Sep-
tember 12, 1858; educated in the public schools and at Rio
Grande, Ohio; spent most active part of his life on farm and
teaching school in Putnam and Cabell counties; elected
Sheriff of Putnam county in 1900; is now cashier of the Twen-
tieth Street Bank, Huntington; elected to Senate from the
Fifth District in 1914; served on the following committees in
sessions of 1917: Prohibition and Temperance (Chairman) ;
Public Library (Chairman); Privileges and Elections,
Finance, Counties and Municipal Corporations, Banks and
Corporations, Insurance, Forfeited and Unappropriated
Lands, Public Printing, Rules, Virginia Debt.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Marshall College

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 6, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 441

MARSHALL COLLEGE, which is Huntington’s largest institu-
tion contributing to the reputation of that city as an
educational center, is primarily a teachers’ college, pre-
paring students to teach and supervise, but a great many
men and women have received a portion of their general
education there in preparation for business or professional
careers.

The present institution is the outgrowth of Marshall
Academy, established in 1837, shortly after the death of
Chief Justice John Marshall, of the Supreme Court of the
United States, in whose honor the school was named. It
was organized as a private institution. In 1856 the work
of the Academy was enlarged and reorganized, and the
name changed to Marshall College.

The Civil war greatly affected the fortunes of the school.
So serious was the situation at its close that a number of
leading citizens in this section of the new state of West
Virginia succeeded in having the Legislature take it over
as a state normal school; normal in name, but wholly
academic in organization and in fact, and such it remained
with varying fortune, save a little teaching of pedagogy,
school management, etc., until 1897, when a practice school
of one grade was organized; but the state refused to sup-
port it, and, accordingly, this nucleus was abandoned after
two years of unappreciated effort to develop the normal
training feature, and the school continued as an academic
institution as before.

In January, 1902, the department of education was or-
ganized, and a model or practice school for teachers was
opened. This was the first step toward normal school work
in the state, and the school has since then been officially
known as Marshall College.

The school was established on the site of the present
eastern section of College Hall thirty-four years before the
founding of the City of Huntington. None of the records
of the school during the period of time it was an academy
are preserved. During the time of the war they were lost
or destroyed, and it has been impossible to bring together
any reliable data concerning the early days. All reliable
statistics with reference to Marshall College date from the
year 1867.

The president of Marshall College is Frederic R. Hamil-
ton, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin. The vice
president and professor of literature is C. E. Haworth, a
graduate of Colgate University.

William Joseph Quinn

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 321-322
Cabell

WILLIAM JOSEPH QUINN, president of the General Coal
Company at Huntington, has secured standing as one of the
progressive and substantial business men of the younger
generation in this city. He was born at Girardville, Penn-
sylvania, April 7, 1894, and is a son of William Joseph
Quinn, Sr., and Lucy (Griffiths) Quinn, both natives of the
old Keystone State, where the former was born in 1863
and the latter, in Schuylkill County, in 1866. The father
became fire boss for coal mines in the district near Girard-
ville, Pennsylvania, and was only thirty-three years of age
when he met his death in a mine explosion at Lost Creek,
Pennsylvania, in 1896, his widow being still a resident of
Girardville. Mr. Quinn was a stanch republican, was affi-
liated with the Knights of Columbus, and was a com-
municant of the Catholic Church, as is also his widow. Of
the children the subject of this review was the fourth in
order of birth, and he was two years of age at the time of
his father’s tragic death; James is a resident of West
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and is a railroad employe;
Thomas is superintendent of the A. D. Cronin Coal Com-
pany at Accoville, West Virginia; Anna is the wife of
Arthur Brown, of Girardville, Pennsylvania, Mr. Brown
being an electrician in the service of the Philadelphia &
Reading Railroad Company; Robert S. is superintendent of
the U. S. Block Coal Company, with residence at Woodville,
West Virginia.

William J. Quinn graduated from the high school depart-
ment of Girard College in June, 1910, and thereafter he
worked in various clerical capacities until 1912, at Girard-
ville and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Atlantic City,
New Jersey. In 1912 he became a clerk for the Berwind
Lumber Company at Berwind, West Virginia, and six
months later became shipping clerk for the New River &
Poeahontas Consolidated Coal Company, which one year
later transferred him to similar service in the City of
Charleston. In 1914 he accepted a position as salesman with
the Winifrede Coal Company, the mines of which are in
Kanawha County, this state, and he was a representative
of this corporation at Cincinnati, Ohio, until 1917, when he
organized a company to take over the properties and busi-
ness of the Ruffner Coal Company of Accoville, Logan
County, West Virginia. He was concerned in the operation
of the mine of this company until August, 1920, and was
vice president and general manager of the company. In
1920 the Ruffner Coal Company sold its mine and business
to the A. D. Cronin Coal Company, in which Mr. Quinn
retained an interest and was made general manager, a posi-
tion of which he is still the incumbent. In 1919 the
Ruffner Coal Company acquired the .Franklin Mine in Boone
County, and this mine likewise is now owned by the A. D.
Cronin Coal Company, the aggregate output capacity of
whose mines is 175,000 tons of coal annually.

In 1919 Mr. Quinn purchased the U. S. Block Coal
Company’s mine and business, the mine having a capacity
for the production of 50,000 tons of bituminous coal a year,
and this property he still owns. In 1919 also he effected
the organization of the General Coal Company, for the
handling of the output of the mines with which he is iden-
tified, and of this sales company he has since continued
the president. He is president also of the U. S. Block Coal
Company, and his executive offices are at 918-919 Bobson-
Prichard Building in the City of Huntington. Mr. Quinn
is a stanch supporter of the cause of the republican party,
and is affiliated with Huntington Lodge No. 313, Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.

In March, 1920, at Covington, Kentucky, was solemnized
the marriage of Mr. Quinn and Miss Vivian Brown, who
was born at Millersburg, that state, and who is a popular
factor in the social circles of Huntington.