Tag Archives: 35

William White

From “History of Wheeling , Ohio County, West Virginia and
Representative Citizens,” by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902.

Typed by Carol Taylor Lanza.

Pages 829-833

WILLIAM WHITE, a prosperous carpenter of Valley Grove, Ohio County,
West Virginia, was born June 13, 1851, is a son of Madison White and
grandson of James White. The latter, who was born in Scotland, of
Scotch-Irish parentage, came to this country in the eighteenth century,
and became an extensive land owner and farmer. He was eighty years old
at the time of his death. Madison White, father of the subject of this
sketch, was born in Ohio County, near Roney’s Point. He resided on a
farm near Bethany, Brooke County, West Virginia, at his death, which
occurred from typhoid fever at the age of thirty-five years. He chose
for his wife Margaret Jane Howard, and to them were born four children,
as follows: William; Mary Jane, widow of George Murphy, residing in
Independence, Washington County, Pennsylvania; James M.; and Martha,
widow of G.F. Wharton, residing in Columbus, Ohio.
William White followed the occupation which his ancestors chose,
that of a farmer, but in later years he has followed the trade of
carpenter. He has always been very successful, and is prominent among
the leading residents of Ohio County. He was married in 1877 to Agnes
Miller, a daughter of George W. Miller, who is a farmer of Washington
County, Ohio. Our subject and his wife have been blessed with six
children, namely: George C., who was born May 18, 1878, and is baggage
master for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company, served one year in
the Spanish-American War as a member of Company G, 4th Regiment
Immunes; Charles M., who was born June 22, 1880, is now at work on the
telephone line; Ira M., born January 31, 1883; Laura B., born April 3,
1885, who is clerking in a general store at Valley Grove; William H.,
born April 18, 1890, and died September 1, 1890; and Letha M., born
October 16, 1891, who is living at home.
James M. White, the brother of our subject, was born March 27,
1855, and for the past seventeen years has been conducting a portable
sawmill at Valley Grove. In 1880 he married Maggie Raines, a daughter
of Robert Raines. Five children were born to James M. White and his
wife: Nina, born November 24, 1881, married William P. Collett, a
carpenter residing in Valley Grove, who is at present employed on the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad; James G. Blaine, born May 10, 1884; Maggie,
born September 8, 1887; Bertha, born November 22, 1889; and Joseph
Lehrman, born November 28, 1891. James M. White is a Republican.
Religiously, he is a Methodist. He is a member of Lodge No. 966,
I.O.O.F., of West Alexander, Pennsylvania, having passed through the
various chairs and having represented the local lodge at the Grand
Lodge held at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1892.
William White, subject of this sketch, is a Republican in politics.
He is a believer in the Methodist faith. Fraternally, he is a member
of Lodge N. 966, I.O.O.F., of West Alexander, having joined that
organization eighteen years ago, and has passed through all the chairs.
He has also belonged to Encampment No. 293, at Claysville,
Pennsylvania, for the past six years.

MRS. MARGARET A. (WHITNAH) VAN METER, a highly respected resident of
West Liberty, Ohio County, West Virginia, was born near Martinsburg,
West Virginia, and is a daughter of John G. Whitnah. The latter was
born near Martinsburg in 1787, and became a soldier in the War of 1812,
after which he engaged in farming until his death, in 1854, at the age
of sixty-seven years. His father, Henry Whitnah, was a soldier of the
Revolution and a pioneer of New Jersey. He also followed farming and
lived to reach the advanced age of ninety-two years, a man who enjoyed
the respect and highest esteem of every one with whom he was
acquainted.
Margaret A. Whitnah was joined in marriage in March, 1845, with
Vincent H. Van Meter, who was born on the old Van Meter homestead in
Ohio County, in 1817. He was the son of Joseph and Margaret Van Meter,
and grandson of Abraham and Elizabeth (Burns) Van Meter. Elizabeth
Burns was born in Scotland, where she belonged to a prominent family of
that name, and came to America at an early day. Abraham Van Meter was
born in Virginia, and fought in the Revolutionary War. Joseph Van
Meter was born in Berkeley County, Virginia, and moved to the farm now
owned by our subject in 1809. Vincent H. Van Meter, who had two
brothers, Joseph and Robert, always lived on the old farm and in the
house built by his father. The house is located on a rise of ground
and commands an excellent view of the surrounding country. He engaged
in agricultural pursuits, and made a specialty of raising fine horses
and sheep. He also bought and sold cattle extensively. He was a man of
estimable character and commanded the respect and admiration of his
fellow men. He died April 24, 1901. Mrs. Van Meter resides on the old
farm and has many intimate friends in her section of the county, in
which she has lived for so many years. A pleasing feature of this old
estate is an excellent orchard, which was planted more than a century
ago, and still bears abundantly, many of the trees being from 18 inches
to two feet in diameter.
Jan Gysbesten Van Meter, who founded the Van Metre (or Van Meter)
family in this country, emigrated to New York in 1663 from Bommel, a
city of Holland. Governor Gooch of Virginia gave a grant of 40,000
acres of land to two of his descendants, Jan (or John) Van Metre and
Abraham Van Metre. Their descendants settled in Ohio County, West
Virginia, and in Kentucky and Ohio. Of those settling in Ohio County,
Joseph Van Metre, a great-uncle of Vincent H., built Fort Van Metre.
John Van Metre, his brother, took up the land where West Liberty now
stands, and left a man in charge by the name of Black, who built the
place known as Black’s Cabin. Abraham Van Metre afterward owned the
land where West Liberty is, and sold two acres to Ohio County for $20.
Joseph Van Metre, father of Vincent H., had five brothers: Abisha,
Josiah, Asahel, Abraham and Isaac, and three sisters: Ruth, Naomi and
Elizabeth. Joseph Van Metre was killed or drowned in the Ohio River,
when on his way to the Ohio side of the river to hunt; his gun was
found in the river forty years later.

W. W. Mcconnell

From “History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and
Representative Citizens,” by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902.

Typed by Laurie Birks Dean.

pp. 582-583
W. W. McCONNELL, who has been a member of the board of education since
January, 1895, is a well-known business man of Wheeling, and is
proprietor of a box factory and of the Pittsburg Coal Yard, with his
office at the corner of Thirty-fifth and McColloch streets. He was born
in Wheeling in 1844, and is a son of Richard McConnell.
Richard McConnell was born at Wellsburg, Virginia (now West
Virginia), and came to Wheeling in 1832. He was a cooperage
manufacturer, established one of the first plants of the kind in
Wheeling, and operated it throughout his business career. He died in
1887, at the age of seventy-three years. He married a Miss Holmes, who
was a native of Virginia, and died before her husband. Eleven children
were born to their union, but three of whom are living, namely: J. W.,
who is in the employ of his brother; Ella, who lives with the subject
hereof; and W. W., whose name appears at the head of these lines.
W. W. McConnell, having had some experience in connection with his
father, established a business for himself in North Wheeling, in 1863,
at the age of eighteen years. After three years he moved to East
Wheeling, and to his present location in 1880. He has developed a large
business, and does contract work, principally in the city, supplying
barrels, casks and boxes for packing. He employs 25 hands, and at times
traveling men, traveling some, also, himself. He has several teams to
do his hauling for the factory and also to deliver coal from the yards.
His present building was erected in 1888, having a floor space of 24 by
175 feet where the office is located, and 73 by 73 feet in the box
factory. He is also a director of the South Side Bank of Wheeling. He
has always been a public-spirited citizen, and has taken a deep interest
in the growth and development of Wheeling, where he has lived all his
life.
Mr. McConnell has been thrice married, his first union being with
Margaret Kinghorn, by whom he had two sons and two daughters, all of
whom died in infancy. He was again married, to Mary E. Dillon, who
died, leaving one daughter, Clara. He then married West Virginia
Dillon, a sister of his second wife and a daughter of B. B. Dillon, an
old resident of Wheeling, and a bricklayer by trade. This union was
blessed by the birth of five children, namely: Ethel; Sarah; John
Wesley; Frank; and Willard. In politics, Mr. McConnell is a Republican,
and in 1895 was elected a member of the board of education.
Fraternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, and was one of the first members of the Zane Street M.
E. church when it was organized in 1866.

John Yeasted

From “History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and
Representative Citizens,” by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902.

Typed by E. J. Heinemann

p. 705

JOHN YEASTED, who is practically retired from business activities and
resides at Elm Grove, was elected on the People’s ticket in January,
1900, a member of the town council and was chairman of the committees
on streets and alleys, and petitions. He was born in Germany,
September 19, 1851, and is a son of Peter Yeasted.
Peter Yeasted was born in Germany, and came to this country in
1853, and followed the occupation of farmer. Careful and saving in
habits, he finally purchased a farm which he owned until the day of his
death, at seventy-two years. He was united in marriage with Elizabeth
Schonedice. Besides John, they had another son, Adam.
John Yeasted was two years of age, when in 1853 he was brought to
this country by his parents. His early mental training was obtained in
the common schools, and at the age of seventeen years he began working
out by the day, which he continued until his marriage, in 1873. He
then worked the old home farm, and after his father’s death purchased
the outstanding interests of the heirs. He now owns the old place and
resided upon it until 1898, when he purchased land in Elm Grove, and
built a handsome 10-room residence. His home is modern in all its
details, and is equipped with all modern conveniences. He has also
built other houses in Elm Grove, which he rents. He is a man of high
standing in his home town, and enjoys the esteem and respect of all.
April 17, 1873, Mr. Yeasted was joined in matrimony with Lourena
Jane Betzer, who was born January 5, 1853, and is a daughter of Andrew
and Eliza (Edwards) Betzer. Her father was born in Germany, and early
in life came to this country and became a successful farmer. Her
mother was of English descent; both are deceased. Fraternally Mr.
Yeasted is a member of Mystic Lodge, No. 24, K. of P., having joined it
in 1884. Religiously he and his wife are members of the Stone
Presbyterian church.

John E. Wright

OHIO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
July 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 465
Ohio

JOHN E. WRIGHT was born at Wheeling, December 19,
1862, his father, the late John Wright, having been one of
the twenty-three men who in 1852 organized the LaBelle
Iron Works, long one of the leading industrial concerns of
the Wheeling District, he having been a practical man in
the business and having had charge of motive power, as
superintendent, from the time of the erecting and equipping
of the original plant. He retired from active service in
1876, but retained his financial interests in the business
until his death in 1907, at the venerable age of eighty-five
years. John Wright was born at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
and came to Wheeling in 1852, at the time of the organiza-
tion of the LaBelle Iron Works. He was an expert iron
man, he having learned his trade in one of the largest of the
old-time iron mills in Pittsburgh. He was also a director
of the Jefferson Iron Works at Steubenville, Ohio, and was
active in political affairs, first as a whig and later as a
republican, though he had no ambition for public office.
His wife, whose maiden name was Eleanor Madden, was
born at Cincinnati, Ohio, and their companionship of more
than fifty years was severed by her death in 1903. They
became the parents of seven children: Anna Virginia,
widow of F. J. Hugens, resides at Wheeling; Miss Eliza-
beth died in 1921; Eleanor G. is the wife of C. A. Robinson.
of Wheeling; William F. died at the age of twenty-three
years; John E., of this review, was the next in order of
birth; Margaret is the wife of C. L. Taylor, of Los Angeles,
California; and Carie M. is the wife of Thomas Stewart, of
Wheeling.

John E. Wright gained his early education in the public
schools and as a youth he became a skilled operator of a
nail machine in the plant of the LaBelle Iron Works. Later
he was made paymaster in the office of the concern, and he
continued his advancement through various grades until
ho became president of the company in 1898. He thus con-
tinued until 1903, when he sold his interest in the business.
In the following year he engaged in independent business
as a broker and contractor, devoting five years to the iron
and steel brokerage business and to contracting in public
work. While president of the LaBelle Iron Works he pur-
chased the Jefferson Iron Works at Steubenville, Ohio, re-
built the plant and made the business a success, the same
being still a subsidiary of the LaBelle Iron Works.

Mr. Wright wedded Miss Bessie Baron, daughter of
Abraham Baron, and her death occurred nineteen years
later, in 1914. She is survived by two children: Mary
Eleanor is the wife of David W. Sloan, of Baltimore, Mary-
land; and John E., Jr., is superintendent of a plant at Elm
Grove, a suburb of Wheeling.

William S. Stenger

OHIO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 5, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg.66 & 67

WILLIAM S. STENGER. One of the, most successful concerns in West Virginia
handling motor trucks and equipment is the Stenger Motor Company of Wheeling, a
business founded and built up with steadily increasing prosperity by William S.
Stenger, a young business man of great energy who has had the faculty of doing
well anything he undertook. He is a member of a very well known family in the
Wheeling District.

He was born in Ohio County, West Virginia, May 20 1885. His grandfather, John
Stenger, was born in 1837 in Pennsylvania and soon after the Civil war moved to
the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia and spent the rest of his life as a
farmer in Ohio and Brooke counties. He died at Beech Bottom in Brooke County in
1897. His son, John J. Stenger, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, in February
1862, spent his early life there, married in Wheeling, and for twenty-five years
was employed in the sheet department of iron and steel rolling mills. Since 1907
he has been busied with his farm at Short Creek, West Virginia. He has grown a
large acreage in wheat and also has a peach orchard of twenty acres. John J.
Stenger is a Catholic, a democrat, and member of Carroll Council No. 504,
Knights of Columbus, Wheeling. He married Jane Myles, who was born at Wheeling
in August, 1862. Of their children the oldest is Catherine, wife of Bernard
Baker, a stationary engineer living at Warwood, Wheeling. The second in age is
William S. John J., Jr., is associated with the Stenger Motor company. Vincent
J. went overseas with the One Hundred and Eighteenth Engineers and died in
England in 1918, the age of twenty-eight. Herbert M. and Earl are with their
father on the farm. Raymond E. is a student in St. Charles College at Baltimore.

William S. Stenger acquired his early education in the public schools of
Wheeling, graduated from the Cathedral High School in 1904, and during the next
five years be managed his father’s retail dairy in Wheeling. From 1909 to 1916
he farmed on his own account in Ohio County, and in the latter year he opened at
Wheeling a business known as the Sandow Motor Sales Company. In the summer of
1921 changed the name to the Stenger Motor Company, of which he is sole
properietor. His garage, salesrooms and offices are at the corner of Eleventh
and Water streets. The Stenger Motor Company is the local distributing agency
for the Gramm-Bernstein Motor Trucks, Pilot cars, sells tires and standard parts
for motor trucks, and Mr. Stenger has developed a business that is recognized as
an indispensable service to all truck owners at Wheeling.

Mr. Stenger is a republican, a member of the Catholic Church and Carroll Council
No. 504, Knights of Columbus. His home is at 118 Twenty-first Street in Norwood.
November 24, 1909, at Wheeling, he married Miss Sadie E. Smith, daughter of John
E. and Mary Catherine (Raab) Smith, of Short Creek, where her mother lives. Her
father was a farmer and died at Short Creek. Mrs. Stenger completed her
education in the West Liberty Normal School. To their marriage have been born
six children: Ralph, born in September, 1910; Sarah, January 13, 1912; Gertrude,
in May, 1913; Ruth, in November, 1914; Blanche, in August, 1917; and Angela, in
September, 1919.

Wheeling Traction Co

OHIO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
July 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 460
Ohio

WHEELING TRACTION COMPANY. The Wheeling Traction
Company has played an important part in advancing the
civic and material interests of Wheeling and the Ohio
Valley, progressing from the old-time horse ear mode of
transportation to an extensive city and interurban elec-
tric railway system, giving service of inestimable value
to the public.

In 1863 the Citizens Railway Company of Wheeling gave
to Wheeling its first street railway service, consisting of
horse-drawn cars which operated on wooden tracks. The
line extended from South Wheeling to North Wheeling and
from Wheeling to Bridgeport, Ohio. This service was con-
tinued until 1887, when the Wheeling Railway Company
was organized and combined with the Citizens Railway
Company. After this consolidation the lines of the Citizens
Railway in Wheeling were electrified and electric cars were
operated on the old horse-ear tracks.

The first electric cars operated in Wheeling were known
as the Vanderpool type. The motor was in the front
cab and was geared with a sprocket chain running from
the motor to a sprocket wheel on the axle of the car.
These cars could only be operated in one direction and
it was necessary to have turntables or a “Y” at any
point where it was necessary to turn the car. Wheeling
was the third city in the United States to have an electric
street railway system.

The track was constructed with a flat rail similar to
that used on the horse car lines and was laid on a 6 by 6
inch wooden stringer with cross ties every five feet. Power
was conveyed to the ear with two overhead trolley wires,
as no return was used through the rail.

In 1889 the electric railway was extended south into
Benwood. In 1893 the new Back River Bridge was built
and the electric line extended to Bridgeport, Ohio. The
Bellaire, Bridgeport and Martins ferry Street Railway
Company was also organized and built a line during this
year from Bellaire through Bridgeport to Martins Ferry,
Ohio. In 1895 another company was organized and a line
was built from Benwood to Moundsville, West Virginia.
In 1898 an electric line was built from Steubenville, Ohio,
to Brilliant, Ohio, by a number of Wheeling capitalists.
In 1899 the Wheeling Railway Company was re-organized
under the name of the Wheeling Traction Company, and
it took over the interests of the Wheeling Railway Com-
pany, the Bridgeport, Bellaire & Martins Ferry Street
Railway Company, which covered the lines on the Ohio
side of the Ohio River, and the lines between Benwood
and Moundsville. In 1901 the Northern Ohio Valley Rail-
way Company was organized by Wheeling people, which
company was later known as the Pan Handle Traction
Company, and an electric railway line was built between
Wheeling, West Virginia, and Wellsburg, West Virginia.
Two years later this line was extended to Lazearville, West
Virginia. In 1902 the line between Steubenville and Bril-
liant was acquired by the Wheeling Traction Company.

In 1904 a line was built by the Tri-State Railway Com-
pany, later known as the Steubenville, Wellsburg & Weir-
ton Railway Company, from Wellsburg to Steubenville, and
about two years later a line was built from East Steuben-
ville to Weirton, West Virginia. In this same year, or
in 1904, the Wheeling Traction Company extended its lines
from Bridgeport to Barton, Ohio. In 1906 the line was
extended from Martins Ferry, Ohio, to Rayland, Ohio,
and in 1907 the Bellaire line was extended to Shadyside,
Ohio. In 1912 the stock of the Wheeling Traction Com-
pany was taken over by the West Penn Railways Com-
pany of Pittsburgh. In 1917 the West Penn Railways
Company took over the Steubenville, Wellsburg & Weirton
Railway Company, operating between Steubenville and
Wellsburg and Steubenville and Weirton. These last named
lines are now being operated under lease by the Wheeling
Traction Company.

The first power plant was installed in an old skating
rink in South Wheeling, and in later years was moved
to a more substantial building at Forty-second Street,
Wheeling. At the present time power to operate the cars
is largely obtained from the Windsor Power Plant located
at Beech Bottom, West Virginia, about twelve miles north
of Wheeling.

The Wheeling Traction Company has kept up with the
electric railway industries throughout the country, and
today has on its lines double truck steel passenger ears
of the latest design. On the interurban lines large cen-
ter entrance steel type cars are used. There is operated
daily seventy cars on regular schedules; in addition, freight
and express cars are operated daily between Wheeling and
Moundsville and Wheeling and Steubenville-Weirton. The
track and overhead lines have been rebuilt and maintained
in accordance with standard practice of modern railway
construction, and at present the system comprises 101
miles of track.

The company has a corps of about 600 employes, in-
cluding those in the transportation, track and shop de-
partments. The shops and barns of the company are
located on Wheeling Island, McMechen, West Virginia,
Beech Bottom, West Virginia, and at Follansbee, West
Virginia. During the year 1921, 27,000,000 passengers
were carried on the lines of the company.

From the beginning the local stockholders and executives
of the Wheeling Traction Company have been men of rep-
resentative citizenship and financial stability. Through
the untiring efforts of C. P. Billings, vice-president, the
service on the lines has been greatly improved and the
fares charged by the company most equitably adjusted.

Harold R. Markell

OHIO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
September 29, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 367

Harold R. Markell is the president of the Packard Motor Company of Wheeling.
He was born in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, by the beautiful St. Lawrence River,
on June 21, 1887. Mr. Markell completed his schooling at Morrisburg Collegiate
Institute and started his business career with the Metropolitan Bank of Canada.
He later went to the far West and for six years managed several different
branches of the Northern Crown Bank in the provinces of Manitoba and
Saskatchewan. During the latter period of his sojourn in Saskatchewan he
gained his initial experience in the selling of automobiles, and in 1914 became
associated with the Packard Motor Company at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In July,
1915, his company decided to open a branch at Wheeling, West Virginia, and he
was chosen as manager of the new branch. Packard’s business at Wheeling has
enjoyed a steady expansion until in the spring of 1922 Mr. Markell formed a new
$100,000 corporation, of which he is now president and Mr. George Row is
secretary and treasurer. The new Packard Company is, at the time of going to
press, erecting at pleasant Valley, Wheeling, and automobile sales and service
station which will be second to none in the Ohio Valley. The building is to
have a frontage of 135 feet and a depth of 200 feet. It will require an
average working force of about twenty-five employes.

In 1917 Mr. Markell married Elizabeth Cassell Stamm, daughter of Frank H. Stamm
and granddaughter of Peter Cassell, and so is closely related to two of
Wheeling’s oldest and most influential families. Mr. and Mrs. Markell have two
children, Betty Jane and Virginia.

During the past several years Mr. Markell has taken a considerable interest in
club life and is now a member of the Fort Henry and Country Clubs, is a
Scottish Rite Mason, a Kiwanian and director of the Motors Trading
Corporation.

Charles Jacob Massau

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

742 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

MASSAU, CHARLES JACOB. (Democrat.) Address:
Montgomery, West Va. Born in Wheeling, Ohio county,
September 23, 1874; educated in the public schools, with
occupational training on the Chesapeake & Ohio Rail-
way, by which company he is at present employed as a
locomotive engineer. He was only four years old when his
parents came to Fayette county; at the age of twelve he
entered the mines and worked there until 1906, when he
entered the railroad service. Elected to the legislature
in 1916; in the 1917 session, served on the following com-
mittees: Labor (Chairman), Federal Relations, Military
Affairs, Arts, Science and General Improvements, Medi-
cine and Sanitation.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Maxie C. Magee

OHIO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: MAGEE, Maxie C. (published 1923)
*******************************************************************
Submitted by
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 12, 1999
********************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 231-232
Ohio County

MAXIE C. MAGEE, vice president and cashier of the
Wheeling Bank & Trust Company, is one of the younger
men in the financial life of the Wheeling District, and
was called to his present post because of his undoubted
qualifications and wide experience and knowledge of bank-
ing affairs.

Mr. Magee was born at Brookhaven, Mississippi, March
15, 1885. His father was a Mississippi planter. He had
the best educational advantages afforded a son of well-to-
do parents. He attended public schools and graduated
from the University of Mississippi, at Oxford, with the
class of 1909. He combined two years work in one while
at the university. Following his university career Mr.
Magee became traveling auditor for a cotton exporting
firm, visiting various cotton centers in the South. This
was his work until 1915.

In that year he entered the service of the Federal Reserve
Bank at Cleveland. The Federal Reserve system was just
being organized, and the most important part of the task
yet remained to be accomplished, namely, to convince the
individual bank in each district as to the merits and ad-
vantages of membership in the Federal Reserve system.
Mr. Magee was selected as one of the publicity repre-
sentatives of the Federal Bank of Cleveland, and his work
corresponded with that of a traveling salesman without
anything to sell, engaged in an educational campaign to
make the merits of the Federal system thoroughly under-
stood and appreciated. The district of the Cleveland
Federal Reserve Bank comprised all of Ohio, fifty-six
counties in Eastern Kentucky, six in West Virginia and
nineteen in Western Pennsylvania. During the next several
years Mr. Magee visited about two thousand banks in
this district, carrying on his organization and educational
campaign. One of his official visits brought him in touch
with the officers and directors of the Wheeling Bank &
Trust Company, and while he won them over to member-
ship in the Federal Reserve system, at the same time he
left impressions that resulted in their calling him to an
executive place in the bank, and in July, 1920, the day
after he resigned from the Federal Bank of Cleveland, he
accepted his post as vice president and cashier of the Wheel-
ing institution. The Wheeling Bank & Trust Company has
capital of $300,000.00, surplus and undivided profits of
$500,000.00, and its executive officers and directors comprise
the following well known citizens: Alexander Glass, chair-
man of the board; S. W. Harper, president; S. O. Laughlin,
vice president; M. C. Magee, vice president and cashier,
while the directors are W. H. Bachman, C. P. Billings, J. A.
Bloch, A. F. Brady, Jr., R. E. Breed, D. A. Burt, H. C.
Hazlett, W. B. Higgins, C. J. Kepner, Arthur Laughans,
S. P. Norton, A. B. Paxton, A. C. Stifel, C. A. Vaden,
A. C. Whitaker, W. P. Wilson and M. C. Magee.

Mr. Magee is a member of the Fort Henry Club and
Kiwanis Club, and the St. Andrew Society of the Episcopal
Church. In 1910 he married Miss Vera Roberts, of Union
City, Tennessee.

***************

Clem E. Peters

OHIO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
September 29, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 361 & 362

Clem E. Peters has shown fine initiative and constructive powers in his
executive administration as secretary and treasurer of the Conservative Life
Insurance Company of Wheeling, West Virginia, and admirable institution of
which specific record is given in following review.

Mr. Peters was born and reared in the State of Ohio where he received excellent
educational advantages, and he has been a resident of Wheeling, West Virginia,
for a quarter of a century. Here he was for some time employed as clerk in a
drug store, later was here engaged independently in the drug business, and it
was in his sleeping apartment over his drug store that the insurance company of
which he is now secretary and treasurer virtually had its inception, in 1906,
while it has been in large measure due to his resourceful energies and
progressive and careful policies that the company has forged to the front as
one of most substantial, well ordered and beneficent functions-a home
institution of which West Virginia may well be proud. Of the determined spirit
that animated Mr. Peters and his associates in their efforts to build up this
worthy enterprise results speak for themselves, but the casual observer can
have slight comprehension of the heavy responsibilities assumed, the great
obstacles surmounted, and the discouragements set aside in the stupendous
evolution of a solid and noble institution of broad scope and ever widening
influence. The review of the inception and growth of this insurance
corporation, as given in following pages in this publication, should be read in
connection with this sketch of the progressive and representative citizen who
has played so important at part in the upbuilding of the company and business.