Tag Archives: 16

Arthur N. Mckeever

HARDY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 30, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 79 & 80

Arthur N. McKeever is dean of the dental profession at Romney, and in his
professional work and as a citizen has been prominent in that community since
May 1, 1895. His name has been associated with several of the movements to
give Romney a place among the progressive cities of the state.

He was born at Edom, near Harrisonburg, in Rockingham County, Virginia,
February 6, 1874, but represents an old family of Hardy County, West Virginia.
His great-grandfather was one of three Scotch brothers who came from Scotland
and settled in New Jersey. The grandfather, Hugh McKeever, was born in New
Jersey in 1802 and as a young man settled in Hardy County and was a farmer
and tavern keeper at Wardensville. He died there in 1880. Hugh McKeever
married Miss Ogden, who died at Wardensville in 1888, at the age of
eightyy-four. They reared the following children: Isaac, who was a commission
merchant in Washington D.C., when he died; John, who died at Wardensville after
many years of work as a physician in Hampshire and Hardy counties; William, who
was in business with his brother Benjamin and died at Wardensville; Hezekiah,
a Confederate soldier killed in battle at Richmond; Benjamin Warden; Rebecca,
who married Asa Cline and died at Yellow Springs, Hampshire County; Amanda,
who lives at Wardensville, wife of Tilberry Orndorff; Lydia, who married David
Knee and died at Wardensville; and Jennie, who married David Dinges and died
at Wardensville.

Benjaming W. McKeever, father of Doctor McKeever, was born in the Wardensville
community in 1842, and early in the Civil war joined the Confederate army as
a member of the Thirty-third Virginia Cavalry, under General Imboden. Among
other engagements he was in the battle of New Market. He served as a private
and after the war followed merchandising at Edom in Rockingham County, but
finally returned to his native county and established his home at
Wardensville. He was a member of the Hardy County Court, was a democrat and a
Lutheran, and died at Wardensville in 1903, at the age of sixty-one. Benjamin
W. McKeeker married Mattie Neff, who was born in Shenandoah County, Virginia,
in 1854, on her father’s farm between Mount Jackson and New Market. She is
now living, at the age of sixty-nine. She is the mother of three children:
Doctor McKeever; Bernice of Wardensville, widow of James A. Heishman; and
Irene, Mrs. R.L. Husong, of Buffalo, New York.

Arthur McKeever was seven years of age when his parents left Rockingham County
and established their home at Wardensville, the rural village on the east side
of Hardy County, where he grew to manhood. He laid the foundation for his
literary education in the village schools then spent two years in Roanoke
College at Salem, Virginia, pursuing a literary-business course, and from
there entered the University of Maryland at Baltimore, graduating from the
dental department in the summer of 1895. He at once established his office at
Romney, and was the first resident dentist to practice there, and has been the
leader in his profession for nearly thirty years.

Doctor McKeever is a former mayor of Romney. During his administration the
water system was installed and the first concrete sidewalks constructed. He
also organized and was president of the Romney Improvement Company, which
installed the sewer system for the town. He was one of the organizers and the
first president of the First National Bank.

During the World war he was designated by the governor as dental examiner for
the Local Draft Board. Governor A.B. White commissioned him a member of the
Board of Regents of the Keyser branch of West Virginia University and he was
one of the committee for the building of the school at Keyser and served four
years as regent. Governor Glasscock appointed him a notary republic, and he
was recommissioned by Governor Cornwell. He served with the rank of colonel on
the staff of Governor Hatfield throughout his four-year term.

Doctor McKeever is a Republican, casting his first vote for Major McKinley for
President, and in former years attended numerous party conventions and is still
a member of the Second District Congressional Committee. He is a past master
of Romney Lodge of Masons, a past district deputy grand master, a member of
Keyser Chapter, R.A.M., the Knight Templar Commandery at Martinsburg, the
Ancient Order of United Workmen and belongs to Martinsburg Lodge, Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.

At Frostburg, Maryland, September 20, 1904, Doctor McKeever married Miss Katie
Keller, daughter of Joseph and Susie (Brooke) Keller. Her father was born at
Frostburg in December, 1873, and her musical talents were thoroughly trained,
and she finished her education in the Peabody Institute at Baltimore. She was
a teacher of music before her marriage. Doctor and Mrs. McKeever have two
daughters, Martha and Josephine.

John Dixon Chipley

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 733

Members of the House of Delegates.

CHIPLEY, JOHN DIXON. (Democrat.) Address:
Moorefield, West Va. Born in Moorefield, June 4, 1866;
elementary education received in the free schools, and subse-
quently spent one year in college; occupation, fanning and
mercantile milling; has been Surveyor and Sheriff of his
county; also, Vice President of the Hardy County Bank,
the Hardy County Milling Company, and President of the
Branch Mountain Orchard Company and the South Branch
Telephone Company; elected to the House of Delegates 1916;
committee assignments in the sessions of 1917: Claims and
Grievances(Chairman);ImmigrationandAgriculture, Coun-
ties, Districts and Municipal Corporations, State Boundaries.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Charles E. Vance

HARDY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 6, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 421-422

CHARLES E. VANCE is one of the prosperous and success-
ful business men of Moorefield. He is an official in the
Hardy County Bank, has achieved a real constructive
triumph in redeeming one of the run down farms of Hardy
County, and for many years has been in the service of the
Union Tanning Company as woods foreman.

He was born at Upper Tract, Pendleton County, West
Virginia, August 17, 1876. His grandfather, Robert Vance,
came to West Virginia from Mansfield, Illinois, where the
Vance family was a large one. He came to West Virginia
before the Civil war, and in Pendleton County married a
Miss Harman, of a well known family of this state. He
spent the rest of his life in Pendleton County. Benjamin
C. Vance, father of Charles E., was born in Pendleton
County, carefully educated himself, began teaching when a
youth, and completed a record of fifty-two terms of school,
teaching in Grant, Pendleton and Hardy counties before
he retired. He is now living at Fisher in Hardy County
at the age of sixty-eight. While living at Petersburg he
served as a magistrate, and has been an active member of
the United Brethren Church. Benjamin Vance married
Susan R. Lough, daughter of Daniel Lough, a carpenter in
Pendleton County, whose family came from Germany. Mrs.
Susan Vance died at Petersburg in 1918. All her ten chil-
dren are living: Charles E.; Myrtle, wife of Calvin C.
Bensenhaver; Linnie, Mrs. Will Feaster; Bessie, who mar-
ried John Shobe; Kenneth, of Petersburg; Elsie, wife of
B. J. Roby, of Petersburg; Harman, who lives in Montana;
Mary; Chloe, of Norfolk, Virginia; and Leola, wife of
Clarence Emelright, of Winchester, Virginia.

When Charles E. Vance was twelve years of age his pa-
rents left Pendleton County and settled on a farm near
Seymoursville in Grant County. In that locality he grew
to manhood, attended school near Seymoursville, and ob-
tained a part of his education under the direction of his
father. At the age of sixteen he left school and for two
years worked as a farm hand in Grant County, and for
another two years was employed in the woolen mill at
Keyser. He then took up farming for himself at Durgeon
in Hardy County, and remained in that locality for nine
years. He was farming on the shares, and when the owner
of the farm died he had to change locations, and instead of
resuming farming he accepted an opportunity to go to work
for a tannery concern. His first employment was peeling
bark and bossing the bark sheds, but subsequently he was
put in charge as woods foreman, and that has been his
active business responsibility for sixteen years, since 1906.
His individual farming interests are located near Fisher
in Hardy County. It is a grain farm, managed both exten-
sively and intensively as a food producing proposition.
His leading crops are corn and wheat, all of which are con-
sumed on the ground, using the corn for feeding hogs for
the market. Mr. Vance took possession of this land when
it was reduced as a result of years of cropping to a
minimum of productiveness. He tiled the land, enriched the
soil by many successive crops of clover and manure, and
out of the 225 acres he has 135 under cultivation. It is
now recognized as one of the most productive tracts of
land in the county. Its other equipment and improvements
have been greatly added to by Mr. Vance, who has erected
two barns, rebuilt the residence, put up a dairy and ice
house, smoke house and cellar. Mr. Vance is a director and
is vice president of the Hardy County Bank at Moorefield.

In politics he is a republican, and at times has been a
delegate to county conventions and once was a delegate for
the Second District Congressional Convention. His only
fraternity is the Modern Woodmen of America. During the
great war he assisted in the sale of bonds, in drives for
the Red Cross and other auxiliary war funds, and was a
member of the County Council of Defense.

In Oak Grove Church, near Fisher, Hardy County, October
9, 1898, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Vance and
Miss Annie Bensenhaver. She is a daughter of George and
Grace (Bobo) Bensenhaver, her father still living. Mrs.
Vance was born on the farm where she is now living and
where her father was a tenant farmer for a third of a cen-
tury. She is the only child of her father, and was well
educated in the public schools and holds a state certificate to
teach, and spent several years in teaching before her mar-
riage. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Vance are: Grace,
wife of Alfred Hedrick and mother of a daughter, Juanita;
Kenneth Vance, who looked after the farm for his father;
while the younger children are Trixie, Robert, Loring,
Coker, William and Esther.