Tag Archives: 15

Herbert Madden Brenneman

Submitted by
Valerie Crook
September 12, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 230-231
Hancock County

precedence as one of the most important centers of fruit
culture in the State of West Virginia, and apples here
raised are known far and wide for their superiority, with
the result that they always command the maximum mar-
ket prices. The fine fruit farm owned and occupied by
Mr. Brenneman is here situated two miles distant from
Arroyo, an important shipping point, and is the place on
which his birth occurred, the date of his nativity having
been April 24, 1877. He is a son of Charles Christian
Brenneman, who was born at Kendall, Pennsylvania, in
October, 1836, a son of Jacob Brenneman. Christian Bren-
neman, his great-grandfather, who became a pioneer set-
tler in what is now Hancock County, served as a soldier
in the command of Gen. Andrew Jackson in the War of
1812, and incidentally walked home from New Orleans,
where he had been stationed with his command. He mar-
ried a daughter of Jacob Nessly, who was one of the very
early settlers of the present Hancock County and of whom
mention is made in other reviews in this history. Jacob
Nessly owned a very large tract of land along the Ohio
River, and it was on a portion of this land that Christian
Brenneman settled after his marriage, his old homestead
being the place now owned by George G. Brenneman, who
is individually represented on other pages of this work.
Christian Brenneman finally sold 209 acres of his land, and
his grandson, Charles C., repurchased the property shortly
after the close of the Civil war, the remainder of his life
having been here passed and his death having occurred on
the 1st of June, 1901. He married Mary Frances Brown,
daughter of Charles Brown, who was a son of Sir Richard
Brown, the latter having come from Scotland and settled
in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. Charles Brown came to
West Virginia when his daughter, Mary F., was eight years
old, and purchased a part of the Jacob Nessly farm, ad-
joining the home place of Austin H. Brown. There Charles
Brown remained until his death, at the patriarchal age
of ninety-six years. His sons, Robert and William, became
owners of the old farm and at the death of Robert Brown
the property passed into the possession of Charles Brenne-
man, a son of John, another brother of George and Charles
C. The present house on this fine old homestead was
erected in 1823, heavy hewed timbers being utilized in its
construction, and hand work of the old-time enduring order
being in evidence throughout the structure. The house was
remodeled and modernized in 1915 by its present owner,
Herbert M. Brenneman, subject of this sketch. In con-
nection with the raising of cattle and sheep Charles C.
Brenneman here early began the development of an apple
orchard, and in the same there is still remaining one tree
that was planted in 1813 and that is still bearing fruit
of excellent quality. This venerable tree is one of the
original “Willow Twig” apple trees of a section now
renowned for the production of this fine type of apples.
Charles C. Brenneman planted an orchard of 5,000 trees,
and from his orchard he received in 1896 a yield of 6,000
barrels. It was a matter of great pride to him that he
lived to see the development of his orchard into one of
the most productive in this section. The present owner
maintains the integrity of the orchard by a careful system
of resetting or replacement, no vacancy being permitted to
appear in the lines of trees, and he having precedence as
the most extensive commercial fruit grower in his native
state. He has held to the celebrated “Willow Twig”
variety as the best type of apples to be raised under the
excellent conditions here in evidence, and no better or
more enduring type is to be found anywhere in the world.
The Brenneman orchards give an average yield of 2,500
barrels, and the place has storage facilities for the accom-
modation of 6,000 barrels. Mr. Brenneman buys from
other fruit growers of the locality sufficient quantities of
apples to reach the limit of his storage capacity. He for-
merly exported apples to Germany, Scotland and England,
but the product of his orchards is sold throughout the
United States almost exclusively since the close of the
World war. His fine farm comprises 209 acres—the origi-
nal tract owned by his father. The store house on this
model fruit farm is a stone structure, one of the finest
houses for the storing of fruit in the United States, and
preserves an even temperature. Mr. Brenneman has made
other improvements of the best modern order, and has rea-
son for taking pride in his splendid hillside farm, which
produces apples of finer flavor and color than do those
grown in the river bottom lands of this locality.

Mr. Brenneman was formerly retained as buyer for lead-
ing wholesale fruit dealers in Pittsburgh and New York
City, and in this connection he visited the fruit-growing
districts in all sections of the United States, with the re-
sult that he has become a recognized authority in this
field of industrial enterprise. He is a citizen of vital
progressiveness and liberality, has been influential in the
promotion of the good-roads movement, and raised through
private sources funds to improve a road in his native
county and district. He was reared in the faith of the
Methodist Church and his wife is a member of the Presby-
terian Church.

In 1902 Mr. Brenneman married Miss Anna Elizabeth
Unkel, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and her death oc-
curred ten years later, the one child of this union being
Gladys Elizabeth, who is a member of the class of 1923
in the high school at Newell. In June, 1915, was solemnized
the marriage of Mr. Brenneman and Miss Amy Viola
Cope, of Wellsville, Ohio, where she was born and reared
and where her father, the late Samuel S. Cope, was engaged
in the hardware business fully fifty years. Mrs. Celestia
Ann (Snowden) Cope, mother of Mrs. Brenneman, was
born at Hookstown, Pennsylvania, and still resides at Wells-
ville, Ohio. Mrs. Brenneman was for twenty years actively
associated with the business established by her father, and
was secretary and treasurer of the Cope Hardware & Supply
Company, in which connection she developed exceptional
business ability. Her social charm is equally pronounced.
and she is the popular chatelaine of one of the beautiful
and hospitable rural homes of Hancock County.

In conclusion is entered brief record concerning the
brothers and sisters of Herbert M. Brenneman: Alice B.
is the wife of E. W. Hewitt, of Arroyo, Hancock County.
Charles Howard, who died in 1916, at the age of fifty-
three years, was at the time proprietor of the Brenne-
man Baking Company in the City of Columbus, Ohio.
Jacob Edward was but a lad when he went to Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, where he made remarkable advancement and
eventually became the executive head of the Brenneman
Wharf & Bridge Company, which has done a large amount
of important work, including the erection of the wharves
of the navy yards at League Island. He is still presi-
dent of this corporation. Clarence likewise left the parental
home when he was a youth, and he is now secretary of
the Peerless Biscuit Company in the City of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania. Willard was seventeen years of age when
he went to Pittsburgh, and there he is now president and
general manager of the Peerless Baking Company. Rev.
George E. attended Mount Union College at Alliance, Ohio,
and is a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church, he
being at the time of this writing, in 1922, pastor of the
First Methodist Episcopal Church at New Kensington,
Pennsylvania. Robert Baird, the next younger son, died
in 1918, he having been a principal in and general manager
of the Seaman, Irvin & Brenneman Construction Com-
pany of Homesdale, Pennsylvania, Herbert M., of this
sketch, was the next in order of birth. Frank Lawrence,
a traveling salesman for the Peerless Biscuit Company, of
Pittsburgh, died in December, 1917. He inherited a life
interest in the Robert Brown estate in Hancock County,
West Virginia, and was here maintaining his home at the
time of his death. Mrs. Eva C. Gardner, the youngest of
the children, resides at Columbus, Ohio. Each of the sons
made a record of substantial and worthy achievement, and
all have honored their native county and state.


Charles L. Campbell

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
September 26, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 258
Hancock County

CHARLES L. CAMPBELL. In length of service Charles L.
Campbell is the oldest member of the teaching admin-
istrative staff of the Butler District of Hancock County.
His experience has covered nearly all the improvements in
school facilities from the crude one-room schoolhouse to a
real school system and educational plant. He is principal
of schools in the incorporated village of Holliday’s Cove,
which is included in the Butler school district, embracing
the unincorporated adjoining town of Weirton. Weirton
and adjacent community are the subject of more extended
comment and description on other pages. The postmaster
at Holliday’s Cove is D. M. Shakley, also president of the
Butler District School Board.

Mr. Campbell was born at Holliday’s Cove April 9, 1876,
son of George and Alice (Hammond) Campbell, still liv-
ing at the old homestead. The Campbells are one of the
oldest families in this section of West Virginia. George
Campbell’s father was Robert Campbell, and his grandfather
was Alexander Campbell. The pioneer of the family in this
section of Virginia was James Campbell, who secured a
grant of land from Patrick Henry, then governor of Vir-
ginia. Some of the old estate is still owned by the family.
Robert Campbell died at the age of seventy-eight. George
Campbell is now seventy-one.

Charles L. Campbell attended high school at Steuben-
ville, Ohio, the National Normal University at Lebanon,
Ohio, and also the State University at Morgantown. In
1898, at the age of twenty-two, he began teaching, taking
charge of the school at Holliday’s Cove when he was sole
teacher with about sixty pupils, all in one room. Prior
to that time there had been a school house of two rooms
with an opening making them practically one, and used
both for school and church purposes. This was replaced
by a one-room building on the site of the present eight-
room school house. That in turn was followed by a four-
room frame building erected in 1902. Mr. Campbell after
teaching at Holliday’s Cove taught in other schools of
the district, but in 1907 returned to his home community.
For three years he was a teacher in the Weirton School,
and since then has been in regular service at Holliday’s
Cove. The present eight-room brick building occupies the
site of the old frame school house which was burned. While
the main building contains only eight rooms, the school
population has so increased that fifteen rooms are now re-
quired, necessitating the leasing of temporary quarters.

Mr. Campbell married Ora Shimer, a native of Ohio.
They have six children, Leslie. George, Harold, Ruth, Wayne
and Alice. His family is affiliated with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and has held the chairs in the lodge.
For eighteen years he has been an enthusiastic advocate of
wholesome athletics in this community, and in the school
has encouraged a base ball team and otherwise stimulated
athletic competition.

Jacob Nessly Porter

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770



PORTER, JACOB NESSLY. (Republican.) Address-
Newell, West Va. Representative from Hancock county.
Born at New Cumberland, August 28, 1885; educated in
the public schools and at Wellsville, Ohio; his ancestors
settled at what is now Arroyo, Hancock county, in 1785,
and they and succeeding generations were intimately
associated with the progress and development of the
county. Mr. Porter is now extensively engaged in the
manufacture of paving and fire brick, and also gives con-
siderable attention to fruit growing and stock raising;
elected to the House of Delegates in 1914, succeeding his
father, re-elected in 1916; committee assignments 1917:
Taxation and Finance, Insurance, Election and Privileges
and Labor..

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

David E. Mayhew

Submitted by
Valerie Crook
September 12, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 222-223
Hancock County

DAVID E. MAYHEW. The prosperous stockman and
farmer illustrates by his experience the ups and downs
of his vocation, its fascinating promises of fortune and its
equally abundant opportunities for failure. He has his
full measure of both, as a rule, but if he possesses the
qualities which make for success he emerges on the top
wave and achieves a permanent place among the substan-
tial men of his section. Among the agriculturists of
Hancock County who have been successful in their life
work, one who is well esteemed in his community as an
agriculturist and a citizen is David E. Mayhew of Pugh-

Mr. Mayhew was born at Pughtown, June 21, 1856, a
son of James N. and Mary Jane (Crawford) Mayhew.
James N. Mayhew was born near Florence, Washington
County, Pennsylvania, in 1827, and was seven years of age
when he came to West Virginia with his parents, John and
Elizabeth (Jackson) Mayhew, the family settling in Han-
cock County, adjoining the Village of Fairview, now Pugh-
town. John Mayhew, a farmer with about 340 acres of
land, lived in a brick house which still forms a part of
the residence on the property. He died when past ninety-
three years of age, while his worthy wife passed away
when seventy-five years old. They were the parents of the
following children: Rebecca, who died as Mrs. Albaugh;
Eliza, who married a Mr. Buchanan and had a son, John
Buchanan, who was an attorney at Beaver, Pennsylvania;
James N.; David Simeon, who removed to Illinois; Nancy,
who married a Mr. Fulton and died at the age of ninety-
six years, being the mother of Rev. W. P. Fulton, a noted
Presbyterian divine of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; John
W., who died in Beaver County, Pennsylvania; William,
who was last heard from in California; Elizabeth, who
married a Mr. Travis; and Mary, who married Mr. Caster.

James N. Mayhew received a public school education and
as a youth engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he fol-
lowed throughout life, being one of the well-known and
highly-respected men of his community. He married in
Columbiana County, Ohio, Mary Jane Crawford, and they
became the parents of thirteen children, all of whom are
living at this writing, in 1922: Thomas C., a resident of
Nebraska; John H., of Chester; David E., the subject of
this sketch; William Lucas, a resident of Lisbon, Ohio;
Nancy Jane, widow of Wesley Herron, of Pughtown, who
has thirty-two grandchildren in 1922; James L. and Charles
C., twins, the former mayor of Chester, West Virginia,
and the latter a resident of California; Ella, the widow of
Howard Warren, of Cleveland; George, of Sebring, Ohio;
Ira, residing on the old farm home; Frank, of Salem, Ohio;
Elizabeth, now Mrs. Emanuel Thomas, of Salem, Ohio;
and Noah, of New Brighton, Pennsylvania. All of the
members of this remarkable family still survive, the young-
est being now in middle life.

David E. Mayhew has passed his entire career on the old
farm and at the village nearby. He received a country
school education and when given a choice of vocations de-
cided upon agriculture as his life work, and has had no
reason to repent of his decision. He is now the owner of
a property of sixty-seven acres, on which he has made
modern improvements and erected substantial buildings,
and his progressive methods, industry and good manage-
ment have served to gain him a worth-while and well-
deserved success. His standing in the community is that
of a man of integrity, and his good citizenship has never
been questioned. A democrat in politics, he follows the
family inclinations, as nearly all of the Mayhews have
been supporters of democratic principles and candidates.
In 1896 fourteen votes from this immediate family alone
were cast for the candidacy of William J. Bryan for presi-
dent, including father, sons and sons-in-law.

Mr. Mayhew married Miss Lida A. Sproule, daughter of
Hugh and Nancy (Donehoo) Sproule, and granddaughter
of Hugh Sproule, of Ireland. Both Hugh Sproule the
elder and younger were agriculturists all their lives and
were men of probity and integrity, both being elders in the
old Plats Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Mayhew’s father
passed his entire life in Hancock County and died at the
age of seventy-five years. Her mother, Nancy Donehoo,
was a sister of Dr. R. S. Donehoo, the oldest physician in
Hancock County. Mrs. Mayhew was reared on the home
farm and educated in the public schools, and was eighteen
years of age at the time of her marriage. There were
two children born to Mr. and Mrs. Mayhew who died in
infancy, and they have a foster son, Hubert S. Mills, Mrs.
Mayhew’s nephew, who was taken into their home and
hearts at the age of 2-1/2 years and has been given every
advantage. He has passed his life on the farm and is now
twenty-three years of age, and accounted one of the capable
and industrious young agriculturists of the community.
The family are members of the old Presbyterian Church,
although Mr. Mayhew was reared in the faith of the Metho-
dist Protestant Church, of which his parents were members.

James A. Purdy

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
September 26, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 256-257
Hancock County

JAMES A. PURDY. One of the most active and progressive
men of Holliday’s Cove, James A. Purdy, has contributed
to the growth and development of his community a sound
business ability, high principles of business practice and
commendable ideals of the responsibilities of good citizen-
ship. During his career he has risen from small beginnings
to a leading place among the men who have achievements
to their credit, and at this time is senior partner of the
prosperous general merchandise firm of Purdy & Marsh.

Mr. Purdy was born on a farm in the Holliday’s Cove
community, July 20, 1869, a son of James and Mary Jane
(Knox) Purdy, the latter a native of the same community.
James Purdy was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsyl-
vania, and at the age of four years was brought to West Vir-
ginia by his father, John Purdy, who was a cabinet-maker
by trade, but who in 1824 purchased a farm on which he
spent the remainder of his life in agricultural pursuits.
James Purdy early took charge of the home farm in partner-
ship with his brother, John Purdy, who later retired and
went to Iowa, but James continued as a farmer, cattle
grower and sheep breeder until his death at the age of
ninety-one years. He was an active democrat in politics,
was a great reader, and a man who was well and thoroughly
posted on all worth-while subjects of the day. He kept
open house, entertaining every traveler who visited the com-
munity, and became widely known for his generous and
kindly hospitality. His word was as good as his bond,
and he was a faithful member of the Presbyterian Church at
the Cove, of which his wife had become a charter member
in her girlhood. She died at the age of fifty-two years,
and was greatly mourned as a woman of many admirable
characteristics and qualities of both mind and heart.

James A. Purdy had to leave school as a lad in order to
take charge of the home farm. His father had married
very late in life, and as James was one of the younger
children he was little more than a boy when he accepted the
responsibilities of a man. With his younger sister, Saman-
tha, as his housekeeper, he remained on the home farm until
the death of his aged father, in the meantime having added
the breeding of swine to the other activities of the farm
and becoming widely known as a raiser of Berkshire hogs.
Farming, however, he felt was not his forte, and when the
elder man passed away and the estate was settled Mr. Purdy
left the farm and became a clerk in a grocery store for
one winter. Subsequently he spent a few months in North-
western Idaho and then went on to the Pacific Coast, bnt
in 1910 returned to Holliday’s Cove, where he rented a store
and installed a general stock of merchandise. His original
stock was valued at $1,700, bnt during the first year he had
sales of $25,000. At the present time he carries a stock of
$15,000, and does an annual business approximating
$160,000. He sells close and depends on the volume of
business for his profits, and this necessitates the employ-
ment of six assistants. In 1914 he built the present build-
ing, which he has since sold, being now a renter. In 1920
Mr. Purdy admitted to partnership G. H. Marsh, and the
business has since been conducted under the firm style of
Purdy & Marsh. Mr. Purdy was one of the original directors
of the Bank of Weirton, and still holds a place on the board.
>From young manhood he has been interested and active in
civic affairs. While still residing on the farm he served as
a member of the School Board of Bertha District. After
locating at Holliday’s Cove he was elected mayor, but re-
signed from that office to act as a member of the Draft
Board during the war period, having been appointed to
that position by Governor Cornwall. He has also served
several times as a member of the City Council. Fraternally
he affiliates with the Knights of Pythias, and as a means
of recreation enjoys the sports of fishing and horseback
riding. All in all, he is one of the most active and progres-
sive men of the community comprising Holliday’s Cove and

Mr. Purdy was united in marriage with Miss Lura Bux-
ton, who was born in Brooke County, West Virginia, daugh-
ter of J. H. Buxton, who is now deceased, and to this
union there were born two sons: John, in the fourth gene-
ration of the name; and James G., the third generation to
bear the name.

Ralph M. Cowl

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
July 23, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 580

RALPH M. COWL is proprietor of one of the largest fruit
farms in Hancock County, an orchard developed by his
father, the late Rev. John Cowl. This place is at Cowl
Station, at the mouth of Tomlinson’s Run, three miles north
of New Cumberland.

Rev. John Cowl was born in Cornwall, England, in 1818,
and at the age of three was brought to the United States,
his father, John Cowl, locating at Maryland and some years
later coming to Wheeling, where he followed his trade as a
shoemaker. John, the son, was first bound out to learn the
trade of making sandpaper. The second time he was bound
out to a blacksmith, and had a six years apprenticeship.
He educated himself, and having early committed himself
to the ministry he diligently studied Latin and Greek and
other subjects in the intervals of his hard working days,
and at the age of twenty-eight entered the ministry of the
Methodist Protestant Church. He filled pastorates at Wheel-
ing and other places in the Pittsburgh Conference, and
about 1856 preached at Nessly Chapel, his home being at
Fairview. He continued to carry the burdens of serving a
circuit of several churches until past sixty, and even after
retiring was frequently called to preach funerals. About
1866 he bought land at the mouth of Tomlinson’s Run, and
kept up his plantings on the 150 acres until about half of
it was in bearing fruit. On this farm he spent his remain-
ing years and died in 1898. Rev. John Cowl was a man of
tremendous vigor and enthusiasm, gave himself heart and
soul to every undertaking, and was a thoroughly positive
character. He was a republican in politics.

Rev. John Cowl married Elizabeth Hunter, of Washington
County, Pennsylvania, and she died at the age of eighty-
four. They had seven children: William R., who became
a minister after serving as a soldier in the Civil war; John,
who went to Oklahoma and acquired a large farm; Water-
man, who was in the grain and coal business in Iowa when
he died; Sumner, who became a minister of the Methodist
Protestant Church and died during the first year of his
pastorate; Ralph M.; Sadie, living in California, widow of
J. O. Miller; and Mary, wife of George Brenneman.

Ralph M. Cowl was born in Allegheny County, Pennsyl-
vania, October 7, 1860, but since he was six years of age
has lived at the old homestead in Hancock County. He
married Kate Stewart, daughter of Samuel Stewart. They
have three sons. John S. was in service in France from
September, 1918, to July, 1919, with the S. O. S. Depart-
ment, and after returning home spent one year in the
Carnegie Steel Company’s plant at Clairton, Pennsylvania.
He graduated from Washington and Jefferson College in
1918. Ralph H., the second son, was a member of the
Students’ Army Training Corps during the war while at the
university at Morgantown. Stewart, the youngest son, is in
his first year at Washington and Jefferson College.

David M. Peterson

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
September 26, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 272
Hancock County

DAVID M. PETERSON. A business experience covering a
number of years is honorable or otherwise, according to
its nature, but in either case it develops capacity and
broadens the outlook upon life. While every honorable
career must include certain qualities to attain success, that
of the banker finds those qualities indispensable which rest
on a higher plane than in many other lines and for this
reason, if for no other, the banker occupies a position in
a community of a distinctive character. While he is still
comparatively a young man, David M. Peterson has hail
sixteen years of honorable experience in the banking busi-
ness, and at the present time occupies the position of vice
president of the Bank of Weirton.

Mr. Peterson was born at Steubenville, Ohio, May 24,
1888, a son of one of the successful and influential busi-
ness men of that city who lived in retirement for some
years before his death. The education of David M. Peter-
son was acquired in the graded and high schools of
Steubenville, and when he was only eighteen years of age
he began his banking career as a minor employe in the
National Exchange Bank of Steubenville, with which in-
stitution he remained for six years, during which time he
gained not only promotion but valuable experience. In
]912 he came to Weirton to become cashier of the Bank
of Weirton, of which he has since become vice president.
This institution was chartered in 1911 and was opened for
business in April, 1912, with a capital of $40,000, those
active, in its organization being E. T. Weir, president;
and Cyrus Ferguson, the first vice president. At the pres-
ent time the officials are: E. T. Weir, president; D. M.
Peterson, vice president; H. E. Hawkins, cashier, and
E. D. Rothrock, assistant cashier, the board of directors
consisting of: E. T. Weir, D. M. Weir, C. Ferguson, W. J.
Hudson, G. L. Buchanan, J. A. Purdy, F. S. Loeb, D. M.
Peterson and J. C. Williams. The bank now has resources
of $1,500,000, and has paid dividends regularly. In 1921
a modern banking house was constructed by and for the
bank, which includes all the latest devices and appurte-
nances for the insuring of absolute safety for the deposi-
tors’ money.

Mr. Peterson is one of the popular men of Weirton,
both among his business associates and the depositors of
the institution which he represents. He is a thirty-second
degree Mason and member of Aladdin Temple of the
Mystic Shrine at Columbus, Ohio, and in polities supports
the republican party’s candidates. He is unmarried.

Frank P. Beaumont

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie Crook
September 19, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 248-249
Hancock County

FRANK P. BEAUMONT, M. D. It is not unnsual for the
male members of a certain family to follow the same
profession or vocation through several generations, and
this is particularly true in the medical profession, where
son frequently inherits a predilection for the calling and
passes it on down to a son of his own. In this connec-
tion it is interesting to note that four generations of the
Beaumont family have practiced medicine in Hancock
County, and that the name is one that is prominent and
highly esteemed in medical circles and held in the high-
est of confidence by the people.

In the third generation of Beaumonts who have be-
come physicians and surgeons is found Dr. Frank P.
Beaumont, of New Cumberland, a skilled and thorough
practitioner and a man of prominence and influence. He
was born at New Cumberland, August 5, 1865, a son of
Dr. Godfrey L. and N. A. (Campbell) Beaumont. His
grandfather, Dr. William Beaumont, was born in England,
where he received his education and as a young man came
to Lisbon, Ohio, where he engaged in the manufacture of
woolens. He was likewise a minister of the Christian
Church, in which he preached for many years, but eventu-
ally came to New Cumberland, West Virginia, where he
applied himself to the practice of medicine until his death,
which occurred in old age.

Godfrey L. Beaumont was born in Ohio, but as a youth
was brought to New Cumberland. He inherited a love
for the medical profession, and prepared himself partly
under the teaching of his father and partly by attend-
ance at a medical school. In 1869 he commenced the
practice of his profession, and applied himself thereto
assiduously and without interruption until his death in
1891, when he was but fifty-four years of age. His wife,
a member of the well-known family which formerly owned
a large part of the land upon which is now located the
town of New Cumberland, has spent her entire life here
and still survives at the age of eighty years.

Frank P. Beaumont was given the advantages of a high
school education at New Cumberland, following which
he entered upon his preparation for the following of a
medical career. He did some preliminary work prior to
entering the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, where
he pursued a full course and received his degree of Doctor
of Medicine, and later took postgraduate work in New
York City. Doctor Beaumont commenced the practice
of his profession at New Cumberland in 1887 in associa-
tion with his father, and this connection continued until
the elder man’s death four years later. Doctor Beau-
mont has risen to a recognized place in the ranks of his
calling in Hancock County, and has adhered closely to the
Eclectic teaching He belongs to the Eclectic medical
societies, both state and national. He was a member of
the Board of Pension Examiners for many years, served
as county health officer for twenty years and has been
a town health officer for a decade. During the World war
he also acted on the Draft Board, and since the close of
that struggle has been an examiner in connection with the
Veteran’s Bureau. In politics he is a stanch republican.

Doctor Beaumont married Miss Maggie B. Joseph, who
was reared at Toronto, Ohio, a daughter of John A. Joseph.
Four children have been born to this union: Dr. Dudley
H., a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia,
and now engaged in the practice of medicine and sur-
gery at New Cumberland; Helene L., a graduate of Bethany
College; Frank C., a student in the dental college of the
University of Pittsburgh; and Godfrey L., who is attend-
ing high school.

Dr. Dudley H. Beaumont, while a graduate of the
regular school of medicine, uses much of the Eclectic sys-
tem, and since 1921 has been associated in practice with
his father. He is in the fourth generation of doctors of the
Beaumont name to practice in this community, and attends
the same families as have his father, grandfather and
great-grandfather before him. For about seventy years
a Doctor Beaumont has been counselor and medical ad-
visor at birth, through life and during the last illness
of dozens of families, amounting to thousands of individ-
uals. Fraternally Dr. Beaumont is a Mason and religi-
ously is a Presbyterian.

Robert Shields Donehoo

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
March 19, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 361

ROBERT SHIELDS DONEHOO, M. D. In the development
of a career that has been characterized by faithfulness
to duty, integrity in all of life’s affairs and the achieve-
ment of merited success the younger generation should
take interest, for in this way lessons of incalculable value
may be learned. Such a career has been that of Dr.
Robert Shields Donehoo, of Pughtown, who enjoys the dis-
tinction of Being the oldest physician and surgeon in Han-
cock County. Throughout his life he has given his best
services to his profession and the people among whom he
has lived and labored, and now, in the evening of life,
he may be content in the knowledge of a career well spent
and appreciated.

Robert Shields Donehoo was born in the Village of Cross
Creek, Washington County, Pennsylvania, August 14, 1848,
a son of James Donehoo. His father was born in County
Armagh, Ireland, and as a child was brought to the United
States, the family settling in Allegheny County, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1800. Later James Donehoo removed to Wash-
ington County, Pennsylvania, where he died at the age of
seventy-four years. Robert Shields Donehoo grew to man-
hood in his native locality, and after attending the public
schools pursued a course at Cross Creek Academy. He
then taught school for three years in Pennsylvania and
for a time was teacher of the Shady Glen School in Clay
District, Hancock County, West Virginia. Resolving upon
a career in medicine, he began reading for that profession
under the preceptorship of Dr. J. N. Boggs, an early Pitts-
burgh physician, following which he enrolled as a student
at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from which he
was graduated as a member of the class of 1874, receiving
the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Among his classmates
were Dr. John D. Campbell, of Wheeling; Dr. James P.
Baldwin, president of a hospital at Columbus, Ohio; and
Dr. John B. Roberts and Dr. Ed Montgomery, both of
whom afterward became professors at Jefferson Medical
College. For a short time Doctor Donehoo practiced at
Beaver, Pennsylvania, in association with an uncle, and
then went to Dallas, Texas, where he also remained for a
short period. Returning in December, 1876, he settled at
Pughtown, where he has been in continuous practice to the
present, and is the oldest physician and surgeon in Han-
cock County. He has a large general practice, to which
he continues to devote himself whole-heartedly and unself-
ishly, and in addition to the confidence of his patients
has their unqualified esteem and affection. He belongs to
the various organizations of his calling and stands high
in the regard of his fellow-practitioners. A democrat in
politics, he has taken an active interest in public affairs,
has stood stanchly by his party and at various times has
been a delegate to conventions. He is an advocate of out-
of-door life and believes in baseball and other forms of

In 1882 Doctor Donehoo was united in marriage with
Miss Alice M. Flanegin, of Pughtown, daughter of A. M.
C. Flanegin, for years clerk of both the County and Cir-
cuit Courts of Hancock County when the county seat was
located at Pughtown. He died when past seventy years
of age. Doctor and Mrs. Donehoo have been the parents
of four daughters and one son: Eunice, who married
John Mayhew and died young; Ella, who is the wife of
Dr. Fred H. Riney, of Mingo Junction, Ohio; Alice, the
wife of Rex H. Jones, a mining man of Huntington, West
Virginia; Elizabeth, unmarried, who formerly taught at
Newell and Chester in Hancock County, and at East Liver-
pool, Ohio, and now teaching at Mingo Junction, Ohio;
and Robert S., Jr., who served for a few months in an
army camp during the late war and is now associated with
his uncle, W. W. Flanegin, in an insurance agency at

George G. Brenneman

Submitted by
Valerie Crook
September 12, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 229-230
Hancock County

GEORGE G. BRENNEMAN. Seven miles north of New
Cumberland, the county seat of Hancock County, and near
the Village of Arroyo, is situated the splendid fruit farm
owned and actively managed by Mr. Brenneman, who is
one of the most extensive and successful fruit growers in
this section of West Virginia. He was born on his present
homestead farm, on the 10th of May, 1847, and is a son
of Jacob and Margaret (Brown) Brenneman, the latter
a representative of an honored and influential pioneer
family of which mention is made in other personal sketches
in this publication. Jacob Brenneman was born in Penn-
sylvania and after his marriage he and his wife con-
tinued to reside on the farm that is now owned by their
son George G., this being one of the fine places on the
Ohio River in Hancock County and comprising 318-3/4 acres.
Jacob Brenneman showed marked progressiveness and initia-
tive ability in here developing one of the best of the early
apple orchards of Hancock County, where his father, Chris-
tian Brenneman, has obtained a large tract of land and
divided the same ultimately among his three sons, Jacob,
Richard and Cyrus. Richard Brenneman developed a fine
landed estate of 300 acres. One of his sons, Dr. R. E.
Brenneman, is a representative physician and surgeon at
Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania, and another son. H. C., resides
at Point Pleasant, Mason County, West Virginia. Cyrus
Brenneman sold his land to his brother Jacob, and even-
tually he became a railroad agent at Empire, Ohio. Jacob
Brenneman was seventy years of age at the time of his
death and his sons Cyrus E. and George G. succeeded to
the ownership of the old homestead farm, which they equit-
ably divided, Cyrus having later died, at the age of fifty-
six years, and, with no children of his own having willed
his property to his brother George, who thus retains the
old homestead in its entirety. To the property George
G. Brenneman has added by the purchase of an adjacent
tract of forty-three acres. He specializes in the fruit-grow-
ing department of farm enterprise, has an orchard of 100
acres, devoted mainly to apples of the best grades, many
of the trees having been planted by him and the annual
yield from the great orchard averaging about 20.000 bar-
rels, the while he has storage facilities for the accommoda-
tion of 14 000 barrels and is thus enabled to regulate
effectively the placing of his fruit on the market. He is
still extending his orchard, and he limits his production of
applies to four standard varieties, in which he gives prefer-
ence to the popular “Willow Twig” type. Mr. Brenne-
man’s farm is situated in the finest apple-growing section
of the state, soil, water and drainage being such as to
insure the maximum returns from orchards and to make
the industry one of major scope and importance.

Mr. Brenneman is liberal and progressive in his civic
attitude but has had no desire for political activity or
public office. He married Miss Mary Cowl, and they became
the parents of six children: Elizabeth H. is the wife of
Frank Goodman, of Cleveland, Ohio; John C. and Jacob N.
are associated with their father in the fruit-culture busi-
ness, under the firm name of G. G. Brenneman & Sons;
Miss Margaret remains at the parental home; Girard G.
died at the age of twenty-eight years; and Sadie O. is the
wife of Alexander E. Mahan, of whom individual mention
is made on other pages of this work.