Tag Archives: 13

William Francis Mcclung

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM FRANCIS McCLUNG – owner of 130 acres of land in Blue Sulphur district,
is farming some portion of the land, and grazes twenty head of cattle yearly.
He was born in Greenbrier County, June 21, 1833, and his first wife was Martha M.
GEORGE, daughter of William GEORGE of this county, and was born May 28, 1840, and
died September 17, 1877. Their children were: Allie J., born June 10, 1862, lives
at home; Lulu R., August 18, 1864, is a school teacher, living at home;
Elizabeth C., June 26, 1867, lives at home; Walter G., April 18, 1871, died
July 18, same year; Joseph F., July 18, 1873, is at home. The grandfather of
Martha M. GEORGE was Thomas GEORGE, who built the first house in Grassy Meadows,
and whose hunting exploits are elsewhere given. The paternal grandfather of
William F. McCLUNG was also a noted hunter and prominent among the early
settlers of Greenbrier County. Samuel and Jane (KINCAID) McCLUNG, who were
born in Greenbrier County, were the parents of William F. His father is still
living at Grassy Meadows, his mother died in 1846. In Greenbrier County,
March 23, 1880, William F. McCLUNG was joined in marriage with Martha S.
FEAMSTER, who was born in this county, March 17, 1840. William and Mary
(TYREE) FEAMSTER were her parents. Her father, born in Greenbrier County,
is still a resident here, with post office address at Asbury; her mother
was born in Fayette County, now West Virginia, and died in February, 1877.
W. F. McCLUNG may be addressed at Palestine, Greenbrier County,
West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie F. Crook, , 1999.

William Hampton Caldwell

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM HAMPTON CALDWELL, M. D. – was born in Lewisburg, Greenbrier
County, May 10, 1858, a son of Dewit Clinton Bolivar CALDWELL and Sarah
Jane CALDWELL, and a grandson of Joseph Franklin and Ann (TYLER) CALDWELL.
Dr. Joseph F. CALDWELL, his grandfather, came to Greenbrier County in
1820, and in Lewisburg established the first newspaper published west
of the Blue Ridge, in the same year – The Palladium of Virginia. He
also established the first stage lines through the State, from Lewisburg
to New Bern, North Carolina, and Guyandotte, Charleston, etc. This was
in 1837 or 1838, the mails prior to that date having been carried by a
man on horseback. He was a member of the West Virginia legislature in
1867, and introduced a bill relative to incorporation limits of Lewisburg.
He was mayor of Lewisburg, president of the board of registration, and
always a citizen prominent in the interest of the town, county, and
State. Dr. H. Clay CALDWELL, son of Dr. J. F. CALDWELL, was assistant
surgeon in the navy for several years, being promoted to full surgeon
a year or two previous to his death, which occurred while home on leave
of absence at the residence of his father, in Lewisburg, December 1,
1859, in the 28th year of his age. He was a young man of brilliant
promise, of very superior mind, and an honor to his profession. The
father of William H., also a physician, was justice of the peace, clerk
of the county court of Greenbrier County, and also United States
examining surgeon for West Virginia. William H. CALDWELL, in addition
to his professional duties, has held the seal of notary in and for
Greenbrier County for the past two years. His residence is in Lewisburg
District, and he owns the “Stone House”, at River Dale, on the Greenbrier
River – one of the first houses built in the county, erected and owned by
Benjamin GRIGSBY, a Presbyterian minister and pioneer of the county. His
address is: Dr. W. H. CALDWELL, Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West
Virginia.

Submitted by Valerie Crook
Email: vfcrook @trellis.net 1999.

William Henry Mcclung

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM HENRY McCLUNG, M. D. – born in Meadow Bluff District, Greenbrier County,
October 28, 1843, and Adaline Elizabeth THOMPSON, born in the
same district April 30, 1843, were there joined in wedlock, on the 15th
of November, 1866. Banzesa, born July 28, 1867, died August 13th following
was their first-born child. In their home are four: Irene Irvin, born
July 28, 1871; Elsie Bird, July 13, 1874; Olive Belle, December 28, 1875;
Willie Kenna, November 19, 1880. The parents of Dr. McCLUNG, are Alexander
and Elenor (THOMPSON) McCLUNG, of Greenbrier County the former born in 1805,
and the latter in 1815. Adaline E., wife of Dr. McCLUNG, was
daughter of Isaac and Jane (BURNS) THOMPSON. Her father died in this county,
March 13, 1876, and her mother is still a resident here. Dr. McCLUNG served
as clerk of the board of registration 1866, and was at the same time member
of the board of supervisors. He was elected representative from Greenbrier County
in 1882, and was elected deputy sheriff in October, 1881. He volunteered
for service in the Confederate army in 1861,and was with Buchart’s company until
that disbanded, when he joined the Greenbrier Cavalry, Company K. He was
promoted to lieutenant and drill master in Honshell’s battalion, and took
part in all the battles of his command. He was three times wounded, twice
severely, first at Frederick City, Maryland, then in front of the “Block-house”
at Washington, while trying to take his wounded brother, John McCLUNG, off the
field. He was captured in Ninevah, but escaped by riding through the Federal
lines, and swimming the Shenandoah river three times, then taking to the
mountains, reaching his command the next evening. He served until the close
of the war. Dr. McCLUNG owns a fine farm on Meadow River, and has been for
twenty years a successful practitioner. His post office address is Meadow
Bluff, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie F. Crook, , 1999.

William Page Scott

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM PAGE SCOTT — is a son of William Hoover SCOTT and Elizabeth Jane (HILL)
SCOTT, both natives of this county. He was born in Greenbrier County, October 24,
1846 was raised in this county, and in Lewisburg is engaged in the livery business.
His business card appears elsewhere in these pages. In Alleghany County, Virginia,
May 18, 1870, Laura Bell BEARD became the wife of William P. SCOTT, and to them
five children were born: Lillian Brown April 13, 1871; Lucy P., February 25 1873;
Andrew E. August 22, 1875. Samuel F., December 7, 1876; Julia G., July 7,
1881. Samuel F. is deceased and the others living with their father. The wife
and mother departed this life March 18, 1882. She was born in Greenbrier
County, September 18, 1852 daughter of Andrew and Eliza (BROWN) BEARD, both
now deceased. The father and three brothers of Mr. SCOTT were Confederate
soldiers in the war between the States, and two of the brothers, Thomas and
Frank died of the measles while in the service. William P. SCOTT’s post office
address is Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1998.

William R. Livesay

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM R. LIVESAY – owns a farm in Lewisburg District of 1,500 acres of Blue
Grass land, well watered and stocked. He is also the owner of LIVESAY Mill,
on the Lewisburg and Williamsburg pike. His birth was in Falling Spring District,
this county, January 6, 1817, and all his life has been passed here. He has
been one year president of the board of supervisors and two years justice of
the peace. May 5, 1855, in this county he married Ann Elizabeth PATTERSON,
and they had two sons: George, born May 5, 1857, died January 7, 1858;
William Crawford, born July 12, 1860, lives at home, engaged in farming.
Ann E., wife of Mr. LIVESAY, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, came to
Greenbrier County about the age of twelve years, and died on her husband’s
farm July 19, 1862. She was a daughter of John and Jane (CRAWFORD) PATTERSON,
and her parents, natives of Augusta County, are deceased. Her father died in
Augusta County, and her mother in Charlottesville, Virginia. September 8,
1864, William R. LIVESAY married Elizabeth Groves HERN, who was born in Augusta
County, Virginia, May 28, 1829. She was a daughter of Joseph and Barbara
(STRICKLER) HERN, who came to Greenbrier County when she was a girl, and
died in this county, her father on the 7th of July, 1869, and her mother
on the 20th of March, 1873. Joseph HERN was born in Shenandoah County,
Virginia, in 1787, and Barbara, his wife, was born in Rockingham County,
Virginia, October 7, 1797. William R. LIVESAY, who was born near Blue Sulphur,
this county, December 14, 1780, and in Pocahontas County married Mary SWITZER,
who was born on Little Levels, Pocahontas County, August 3, 1786. They resided
in Greenbrier County until death, and both died on the farm now owned by William R.
George LIVESAY died March 21, 1865, and his wife died February 26, 1857.
The brothers and sisters of William R. LIVESAY were Thomas, John, Rebecca,
Andrew, Joseph, Elizabeth, Allen, Melinda Mary, Washington, Lucinda, and
Harvey. William R. LIVESAY’s postoffice address is Richlands, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1999.

William Parks Rucker

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM PARKS RUCKER – attorney and farmer, has been a resident in Greenbrier
County since 1869. He was born in Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, November
9, 1831, son of Clifton Hedley RUCKER and Mary Jane Stark (STAPLES) RUCKER, now
both deceased. His father, born in Amherst County, Virginia, died in that county,
and his mother, born in Appomattox County, Virginia, died in Lynchburg. In Campbell
County, Virginia, October 28, 1852, were recorded the marriage vows of William Parks
RUCKER and Margaret Ann SCOTT, and the children of their union are recorded;
Hedley Scott, born September 13, 1853, lives in Huntersville, West Virginia;
W. W., February 1, 1855, lives in Keytesville, Missouri, as does James S.,
born November 23, 1856; Mary Clifton, born July 22, 1858, died September 28, 1861;
Edgar Parks, born December 23, 1861, lives in Rothville, Missouri. Thomas Hazlewood
SCOTT, born in Campbell County, Virginia, and Margaret Parks (BURKS) SCOTT, born in
Amherst County, Virginia, were the parents of Margret A., born in Campbell County,
January 31, 1832. Her parents both died in the county of her birth. In 1867-8, in
Nicholas county, West Virginia, William P. RUCKER filled the office of justice of
peace: in 1865-7 he was a notary public in and for the same county. In the years
1870-2 he was prosecuting attorney for Greenbrier and Pocahontas Counties. He was
major of the 13th West Virginia Infantry (Federal), but never served with the
regiment, being assigned alternately aid-de-camp with Generals Seigel and Crook.
His residence and post office address are Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1999.

Milton Wylie Humphreys

Source: The South in the Building of the Nation, Volume XI.
Richmond, Va.: The Southern Historical Publication Society, 1909.
Volume XI, page 527

HUMPHREYS, Milton Wylie, educator: b. Greenbrier county, Va. (now West Virginia),
Sept. 15, 1844. In 1869 he was graduated from Washington and Lee University,
and in 1874 received the degree of Ph. D. from Leipzig. In 1862 he entered the
Confederate army and served in the artillery from that date until the close of
the war. From 1867-75, with the exception of two years in Germany, he was at
Washington and Lee University as assistant professor of Latin and Greek (1867-70),
and adjunct professor of ancient languages (1870-75). From 1875-83 he was
professor of Greek in Vanderbilt University, and from 1883-87 he was professor
of Latin and Greek in the University of Texas. In 1887 he became professor of
Greek in the University of Virginia, which position he still holds. In 1880-82
he was vice-president of the American Philosophical Association, and president
of that organization in 1882-83. He published editions of The Clouds of
Aristophanes (1885) and The Antigone of Sophocles (1901), and for ten years
served as American chief editor of Revue des Revues, appended to Revue de Philogie,
Paris. Dr. Humphreys is one of the leading classical scholars of the United States.

Submitted by Valerie F. Crook
Email: , 1999.

T. Hickman Jarrett

T. HICKMAN JARRETT – is descended from the JARRETT family who were pioneers of the
first country settled west of the Blue Ridge, and his grandfather, James JARRETT,
was born at Keenys Fort, mouth of Mill Creek, when the pioneers of Greenbrier
County were assembled there in anticipation of an attack from the Indians.
James JARRETT, father of T. Hickman, was born in Greenbrier County, April 25,
1815, and his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth HICKMAN, was born on Big
Sewell Mountain this county. She died in January, 1858. The subject of this
sketch was born in Blue Sulphur district, June 25, 1851, and in this district
has a farm of 800 acres, mostly in sod for grazing purposes, to which he gives
the most of his attention. In Sherman, Texas, October 5, 1877, T. Hickman
JARRETT was united in marriage with Georgia (MORGAN) BUSTLE, and they have
one son and two daughters: James H., born February 25, 1879; and Leake, born
August 9, 1880. The youngest is unnamed, born September 15, 1883. The wife of
Mr. JARRETT is a daughter of Jesse and Julena J. (KASEY) MORGAN, who are
residents in Bedford County, Virginia, the place of their nativity. Her
father was born May 5, 1795. Her birth was in Bedford County, Virginia,
December 29, 1852 the date. She was a widow at the time of her marriage
with Mr. JARRETT. Blue Sulphur Springs, Greenbrier County, West Virginia,
is the post office address of T. H. JARRETT.

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

Submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1999.

Newton C. Darnall

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

NEWTON C. DARNALL – is a son of John S. and Mary J. (McDOWELL) DARNALL,
of Greenbrier County, and was born in this county, July 29, 1855. In
Greenbrier County, in 1879, Newton C. DARNALL and Elizabeth BOONE
recorded their marriage vows, and their home is in Ronceverte, where
Mr. DARNALL is successfully conducting the business of shoemaking.
His wife was born in Greenbrier County, as were her parents, Alexander
and Margrine (JACKSON) BOONE. They are still honored residents here.
Newton C. DARNALL’s post office address is Ronceverte, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Valerie Crook
Email vfcrook@ trellis.net 1999

Thomas G. Clay

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

THOMAS G. CLAY, M. D. – son of Marston and Sarah (DEARING) CLAY, was born in
Campbell County, Virginia, June 19, 1817. His parents were Virginians, his father
born in Dinwiddie County, and his mother in Campbell County. Both died in Campbell
County, the mother in 1851, and the father in 1857. In the fall of 1846, Dr.
CLAY cast his fortunes in with the people of Greenbrier, and in 1848, in Monroe
County, (then) Virginia, he married Nancy JOHNSON. She died without children,
and his second marriage was consummated in Greenbrier County, in October, 1852.
Margaret JARRETT, who then became his wife, was born in Greenbrier County,
August 3, 1826, and the ten children of their wedlock are recorded: Marston,
born July 14, 1854, deceased; James, August 3, 1855, is in California; Odin,
October 13, 1857, residence in Bloomington, Illinois; and four at home:
Thomas, born January 31, 1864; Sally A., May 25, 1865; Mary E., April 18, 1867;
Joseph G., June 30, 1869. James and Ruth (GWINN) JARRETT, the parents of Mrs.
CLAY, were born and died in Greenbrier County. Her father was born in 1780,
and died in 1870, and her mother was born in 1785, and died in 1862. Dr. CLAY
has been in the practice of his profession for thirty-seven years, a graduate
of Richmond Medical College. He has also been farming and cattle-raising since
the war, and has 200 acres of good land. His dwelling is on Muddy creek,
Blue Sulphur district, and his post office address is Palestine, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.

[Dr. Thos. G. CLAY died of erysipelas on Aug. 18, 1887, at age 70. He is listed
as the son of Marsden CLAY, and his death was reported by his son, John H. CLAY.
Greenbrier County Death Records, Vol. 1A. vfc]

Submitted by: Valerie Crook
Email: vfcrook @trellis.net 1999