From “History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and
Representative Citizens,” by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902.
Typed by Laurie Birks Dean
Henry W. REDMAN, of the firm of Redman & Company, proprietors of
large machine shops in Wheeling, West Virginia, is regarded as one of
the most prominent business men of this vicinity, which has been his
home since 1840. Mr. Redman was born in England, April 18, 1830, and
is a son of John and Mary (Exley) Redman, both of English nativity.
Mr. Redman’s parents came to this country while he was young,
and settled in Wheeling, where the father found employments as a
teamster. Later he did gardening for prominent and well-to-do
citizens of this city. His death took place in September, 1862, at
the age of sixty-seven years. Fifteen years later he was followed to
the grave by his widow, whose birth occurred about the year 1800.
This worthy couple reared the following children,eight in all:
Thomas, deceased; Henry W.; Eliza, deceased, who married James R.
Cockran; Subina, wife of George Hibbard, of Wheeling; Bathia, the
wife of H. D. Delaney, of Brownsville, Pennsylvania, who died October
29, 1901; and Elizabeth Ann and Mary Jane, deceased.
Henry W. Redman was principally reared and educated in
Wheeling, where he attended private institutions of learning. After
leaving school he entered the machine shop of Arthur Philips and
served a full aprenticeship, completely mastering the machinist’s
trade in all its details. He remained in the employ of Mr. Philips
for a period of twenty-one years. He subsequently spent a brief
period in Pittsburg, but returned to Wheeling and embarked in the
machine business for himself. About thirty-five years ago, in
company with Edward Martin, the foundation of the present business
was begun. They rented a small repair shop on Market street, between
Sixteenth and Seventeenth streets, and did general repair work. The
business increased and some time afterward the old shop of Miller
Morehead was rented. This plant was fitted out with machinery. A
little later the Fisher foundry was rented, new machinery purchased,
and the company did work at that stand several years. The business
was then moved to the Bodley Building, which was a wagon shop, etc.,
and was conducted there about fourteen years.
The firm of Redman & Company was organized in the early
“seventies” by Henry W. Redman, Edward Martin and G. G. McKown.
About twenty years ago William J. Hamilton was admitted into the
business. Later Mr. Hamilton sold his interest to Albert Redman and
Isaac Frey. The latter sold to William Hobbs, so the present members
of the firm are Henry W. Redman, Albert Redman, his brother, G. G.
McKown and William Hobbs. These gentlemen are all expert machinists,
and several of them are actively engaged in other enterprises several
additional men are also employed.
August 25, 1890, the firm signed indentures, and commenced
erecting the present building, which is 100 feet front by 135 feet
depth, including the blacksmith department. The front part of the
building has two stories and is well equipped with machinery for
repairs, and for the manufacture of engines. The firm have
manufactured engines quite extensively.
The subject of this sketch married Nancy C. Haymaker, who was
born at Winchester, Virginia, June 18, 1833. Six children have
blessed this union, as follows: Mary Jane, who married James
Robbins, a resident of Martin’s Ferry, Ohio, who is employed as a
heater in the steel works; John B., who was a successful plumber of
Clarksburg and died November 2, 1901; Henry Thomas, also a plumber at
Martin’s Ferry, Ohio; Harriet Ellen, the wife of Charles Morris, a
glass-blower of Wheeling; Bathia Chambers, who resides at home; and
Charles Howard, also of Martin’s Ferry, Ohio, who is employed in the
Laughlin Tin Mill as a machinist. The family residence is at No. 118
Fifteenth street. Mr. Redman is a member of the North Street M. E.
Henry W. Redman was reared a Democrat, but his last Democratic
vote was for Buchanan. He next voted for Lincoln and has since voted
the Republican ticket. Fraternally he is a member of Wheeling Lodge,
No. 9, I. O. O. F., which he joined fifty-one years ago; he has
filled all the chairs. His son Henry is a Knight Templar, and also
belongs to the I. O. O. F., and to the K. of P., of Martin’s Ferry,