Category Archives: Wood

Okey J. Stout

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
*****************************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
Frog158@juno.com
December 13, 1999
*****************************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II
Pg. 73

Okey J. Stout has for nearly a quarter of a century been a prospering
business man of Parkersburg, a druggist and also interested in other lines.
He is a brother of Parkersburg’s postmaster, Walter E. Stout, under whose name
a more complete account of the family will be found.
Okey J. Stout was born at Parkersburg, June 18, 1877, and this city
has always been his home. He completed a public-school education and in 1897,
at the age of twenty, entered the retail drug business after two years of
training as clerk in the drug store of W.E. Skirvin. He has concentrated his
efforts along this line and is now interested in two drug stores, and is also
associated with his brother, Walter, in the oil business and is a director
of the First National Bank.
Mr. Stout is a Knight Templar and thirty-second degree Scottish Rite
Mason, a Shriner, a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
belongs to the Rotary Club and is a democrat in politics.

Wells, P. Foster

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

751

WELLS, P. FOSTER. (Democrat.) Address: New
England, West Va. One of the members of the Legisla-
ture from Wood county. Born at Belleville, Virginia (now
West Virginia), August 21, 1847; educated in the com-
mon schools and in the National Normal University, of
Lebanon, Ohio; has been a constable, justice of the peace
and county surveyor; is at present engaged in fanning and
surveying; was elected as a member of the House of
Delegates in 1916; in 1917 served on the following com-
mittees: Immigration and Agriculture, Humane Institu-
tions, Federal Relations.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Monroe J. Rathbone

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Pam Honaker
pam_honaker@hotmail.com
October 28, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
Pg. 465

MONROE J. RATHBONE–WOOD COUNTY

MONROE J. RATHBONE, manager of the Camden Works ar Parkersburg for the
Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, is a native of Parkersburg and
represents two prominent families of the state. He is a maternal grandson
of James Monroe Jackson, of the distinguied family of West Virginia. This
subject im more fully treated on other pages.

In the Rathbone line he is descended from Wait Rathbone, who was a New
England sea captain and also a captain of militia during the Revolution. A
son of Wait was William Palmer Rathbone, a native of Connecticut,
subsequently a business man of New York City, and for a number of years a
county judge in New Jersey. He settled at Burning Springs in what is now
West Virginia in 1843, and finally retired to Parkersburg, where he died in
1862. His wife was Martha Valleua.

Thier son, John Valleau Rathbone, was born in New York City in 1821
and accompanied his father to West Virginia. For several years he and his
brother wer general merchants, and in 1861 he became interested in the
pioneer phases of oil development and was one of the men conspicuously
successful in that industry. It is said that in spite of his wealth he
always remained a plain man of the people, enjoyed the companionship and
fellowshipo of his old friends and acquaintances in Parkersburg, and was a
wit and humorist. He died January 11, 1897, his old home becoming
subsquently the quarters of the Blennerhasset Club. In 1841 he married Anna
Maria Doremus, of New Jersey. She died in the same year and eight months
later than her husband. Of the eleven children the seventh in order of
birth is Francis Vinton Rathbone, who married Mary E. Jackson, daughter of
Judge James Monroe Jackson.

Monroe Jackson Rathbone, a son of Francis V. Rathbone, was born in
Parkersburg July 23, 1874. He was well educated, attending the Parkersburg
High School and the Virginia Military Institute. As a youth he bacame a
runner for the First National Bank of Parkersburg, also had some experience
in merchandising, and for a time was an employee of a local gas company. In
1895 Mr. Rathbone removed to Chicago, and for five years was assistant
manager of the lubricating sales department of the Standard Oil Company.

On his return to Parkersburg in 1900 he was purchasing agent for the
wholesale grocery house of Shattuck-Jackson Company, but in 1904 resuemd his
service witht the Standard Oil Company, and since 1907 has been manager of
the Camden Works. He represents the third generation of a family active in
the oil industry in West Virginia. Mr Rathbone is also a director of the
Citizens National Bank.

Other interests and activities betray the public spirited and
benevolent character of his citizenship. He is a member of the Board of
Governors of the Country Club, a director of the Blennerhasset Club, a
member of the Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, an Elk, is president of the
local council of the Boy Scouts, and during the World war was a member of
the War Labor Board. He is a democrat in politics and a member of the
Protestant Epicopal Church.

October 19, 1898, Mr Rathbone married Miss Ida Virginia Welch, daughter
of W.M. Welch. Four sons were born to their marriage: Monroe Jackson, Jr.,
Richard A., William Vinton, and James Vinton. The youngest died in infancy.

Walter S. Link

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: LINK, Walter S. (published 1923)
*******************************************************************
Submitted by
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 12, 1999
********************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 226
Wood County

WALTER S. LINK, M. D., who died in the City of Parkers-
burg on the 6th of March, 1921, justified in able and faith-
ful service his choice of vocation, and by his sterling char-
acter and marked technical skill honored the profession in
which he achieved high standing and unequivocal success.
He built up a large and representative general practice in
the City of Parkersburg, and held rank as one of the leading
physicians and surgeons of Wood County at the time of his
death, in the very prime of his strong and useful life.

Dr. Walter Scott Link was born in Jefferson County,
West Virginia, on the 13th of July, 1870, and was a son of
Thomas and Elizabeth Jane (Melvin) Link. The lineage
of the Link family traces back to German origin, seven
brothers of the name having come from Germany and
settled in America prior to the war of the Revolution, and
from these founders descend the representatives of the
name now found in various states of the Union. Members
of the family were gallant soldiers of the Continental Line
in the War of the Revolution, and the War of 1812 like-
wise gained loyal soldiers from this family of American
patriots. Virtually every war in which this country has
been involved has claimed members of the Link family as
soldiers. Adam Link, an ancestor of the subject of this
memoir, was a patriot soldier in the Revolution, and in a
cemetery in Jefferson County, West Virginia, are the graves
of soldiers of the Link family who served in all other wars
of the nation in their day and generation. Thomas Link
was a gallant soldier of the Confederacy in the War be-
tween the States, took part in various battles and was
severely wounded while participating in an engagement
near Winchester. After the war he continued his activities
as one of the representative fanners of Jefferson County,
and there both he and his wife passed the remainder of
their lives, secure in the high esteem of all who knew them.
They became the parents of the following children: John
A., Edward M., Thomas O., Jacob Albert, Adam G. (a
minister of the gospel), Davis Beauregard, Charles W. and
Walter S.

Dr. Walter S. Link found the period of his childhood
and early youth compassed by the invigorating influences
of the home farm, and in the meanwhile he made good
use of the advantages offered by the public schools of his
native county. After his graduation in the high school at
Shenandoah he entered the University of West Virginia,
in which he was in due time graduated, with the degree
of Bachelor of Arts. In preparation for his chosen pro-
fession he was matriculated in the Baltimore Medical Col-
lege at Baltimore, Maryland, and in this institution he
was graduated as a member of the class of 1897. After
thus_ receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine he further
fortified himself by an effective post-graduate course in
the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, in which great
institution he served three years as house surgeon. About
1900 Doctor Link established his residence at Parkersburg,
and while his practice was of general order in its earlier
stages, it was as a specialist in the diagnosis and treat-
ment of diseases of the ear, nose and throat that he gained
his major success and reputation. In this special field of
practice his fame far transcended local limitations, and
he gained authoritative status as a specialist along these
lines.

In 1902 Doctor Link showed his high sense of profes-
sional stewardship and his civic progressiveness by estab-
lishing a private hospital in his home city, and to this
institution came patients from the most diverse sections of
the Union to avail themselves of its advantages and of the
able service of Doctor Link.

As was to be anticipated in connection with a person
of so great patriotism and high ideals as those of Doctor
Link, he was among the first to tender his aid to the Gov-
ernment when it became apparent that the United States
must become actively involved in the great World war.
In December, 1917, he enlisted in the medical corps of the
United States Army, was commissioned lieutenant and
later promoted to a captaincy, and his arduous and un-
remitting work in connection with the development of the
nation’s medical department for war service was the pre-
disposing cause of his untimely death. He continued his
service in the medical corps until his impaired health made
necessary his retirement, and in the loved city of his home
he passed the closing days of his earnest and noble life,
loved for his kindliness and abiding human sympathy, and
admired for the splendid service which he had given in
his exacting profession. The Doctor was an appreciative
and valued member of the Wood County Medical Society,
and likewise was actively identified with the West Vir-
ginia State Medical Society and the American Medical
Association, as well as the Southern Medical Society. Doc-
tor Link was an exceptional Bible student and was a zeal-
ous member of the Presbyterian Church. His widow is
a member of the Catholic Church. He was a member of
the Parkersburg Chamber of Commerce, the local Kiwanis
Club, and the Parkersburg Lodge of the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks. In the Masonic fraternity he
received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted
Scottish Rite, his maximum York Rite affiliation being with
the Parkersburg Commandery of Knights Templars, and
his Masonic activities having further been extended by his
identification with the Mystic Shrine.

On the 22d of July, 1902, was solemnized the marriage
of Doctor Link and Miss Mary Eleanor Prendergast,
daughter of Thomas and Julliette Burea (Cummings) Pren-
dergast. Mrs. Link was born in the city of Brooklyn,
New York, was graduated in Chestnut Hill Convent and
the New York Polyclinic Hospital as a trained nurse. Her
career, as was that of her husband, has been one of dis-
tinct consecration to high effort in the relieving of human
suffering, and she has seen much of hospital service, be-
sides rendering aid to those in distress wherever and when-
ever her efficient service was required. She proved a
devoted and helpful coadjutor of her husband in the main-
tenance of his hospital, and was his counselor in all de-
partments of his work. In continued service she finds the
greatest mode of consolation now that her loved companion
has passed to the life eternal. Dr. and Mrs. Link became
the parents of one daughter, Julliette Elizabeth, and the
pleasant home in Parkersburg is known for its gracious
hospitality.

Walter L. Danks

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 4, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg.69

WALTER L. DANKS, whose technical and executive ability need no further voucher
than the statement that he is the efficient superintendent of the Parkersburg
Iron & Steel Company, at the metropolis and judicial center of Wood County, West
Virginia, claims the State of Nebraska as the place of his nativity and is a
representative of one of its sterling pioneer families, though it is to be
recorded that is father, a man of independent means and marked resourcefulness,
did not consent long to endure the ravages wrought by grasshoppers and drought
in the pioneer period of Nebraska history, but soon left that state in whieh
many other pioneers were compelled to remain, as they had no financinl resources
that permitted them to flee from the dcsolation wrought by the pioneer scourges.

Walter L. Danks was born at Cozad, Dawson County, Nebraska, on the 11th of
November, 1875, and is a son of John G. and Elizabeth (Vance) Danks, the former
of whom was born at Mount Savage, Maryland, and the latter at Muncie, Indiana.
Samuel T. Danks, grandfather of him whose name initiates this review, was a
native of England, where the family has been one of not minor prominence, among
its representatives in the past having been one or more distinguished musicians
and composers, one of whom composed music for many of the beautiful chants of
the Church of England. Samuel T. Danks was reared and educated in his native
land and there acquired his fundamental knowledge of the iron industry, of which
he became a prominent and influential pioneer exponent after coming to the
United States. He came to this country about the year 1847, and in 1849 he
became one of the argonauts of California, where the historic discovery of gold
had just been made. He made the long and perilous overland trip to California
and became one of the first to utilize hydraulic power in connection with gold
mining in that state. He did not long remain on the Pacific Coast, however, but
established his home at Mount Savage, Maryland, where he became prominently
identified with the iron industry, as a pioneer in its development in this
country. He was the inventor of the rotary puddling furnace that bore his name
and that did much to advance iron production industry in the United States.
Both he and his wife continued to reside in Maryland for number of years, and
thereafter he became superintendent an extensive iron manufacturing plant in
Cincinnati, Ohio, in which state he and his wife passed the closing years of
their lives.

John G. Danks seems to have inherited a predilection for iron industry, with
which the family name had been prominently identified in England for many
generations. He was reared and educated in Maryland, where he early gained
practical experience in connection with iron industry under the effective
direction of his father. As a young man he became mechanical engineer for one of
the large iron corpoations at Cincinnati, Ohio, where his father was
simultaneously serving as an executive in connection with the same line of
enterprise. After the father invented the Danks Puddling furnace John G., the
son, went to England to superintend the installation of these improved devices
in that country, and after his return to the United States he continued such
installation service, in which he met with much opposition and had many
remarkable experiences on account of the opposition of the historic organization
in Pennsylvania known as the “Molly Maguires.” In the early ’70s he made his
venture in connection with pioneer ranching enterprise in Dawson County,
Nebraska, but the adverse conditions previously mentioned in this sketch led him
to abandon his activities there and to return to Cincinnati. After his retirement
from active business affairs he removed to Los Angeles, California, and there his
death occurred in 1914, his wife having preceded him to eternal rest, and two
children survive them.

Walter L. Danks, the immediate subject of this sketch, passed his boyhood days
principally on a farm owned by his paternal grandfather near College Hill, a
suburb of the City of Cincinnati, and his early educational discipline included
that of the high school and also of a business college, which later he attended
at night. He gained under the direction of his father and grandfather his early
experience in connection with the iron and steel industry, and in this
connection he has well upheld the prestige of the family name, as his entire
active career has been one of close and effective association with this
important branch of industrial enterprise. He was for five years in the employ
of the Inland Steel Company at Indiana Harbor, Indiana, and with the same won
promotion to the position of assistant master mechanic. In 1906 he came to
Parkersburg, West Virginia, to take the position of master mechanic with the
Parkersburg Iron & Steel Company, and this alliance has since continued, while
he has served as superintendent of the company’s extensive plant since 1913.

Mr. Danks is found aligned loyally in the ranks of the republican party, and is
vital and progressive in his civic attitude. He takes deep interest in all that
touches the welfare and advancement, of his home city, and during the nation’s
participation in the World war he was able to give valuable patriotic service
both through the medium of his industrial association and through his personal
efforts in support of the various local war activities. He and his wife hold
membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in the Masonic fraternity he
has completed the circle of the York Rite, in which his maximum affiliation is
with the Parkersburg Commandery of Knights Templars, besides having received the
thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and being also a member of the Mystic
Shrine.

The year 1902 recorded the marriage of Mr. Danks to Miss Hannah Stephens, of
Indiana Harbor, Indiana

Edwin W. Crooks

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Pam Honaker
pam_honaker@hotmail.com
May 21, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II,
page 463

EDWIN W. CROOKS, M.D. WOOD COUNTY

Edwin W. Crooks, M.D., has been established in the successful general
practice of his profession in the City of Parkersburg since the year 1908,
and his character and ability mark him as one the the representative
physicians and surgeons of Wood County. The doctor is an exemplar of the
benignant school of Homeopathy, and has become one of its specially
successful represtatives in his native state.

Doctor Crooks was born at Belleville, West Virginia, on the 15th of
September, 1874, and is a son of Horatio N. and Marian (Muir) Crooks.
Horatio N. Crooks was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, ans was a
child of about one year at the time of the family removal to West Virginia,
his father, Capt. Horatio N. Crooks, having been for may years a skilled and
popular captain of steamboats plying the Ohio River between the cities of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Memphis, Tennessee. Captain Crooks purchased
farm land in the the vicinity of Belleville, West Virgina, and improved the
property into a productive farm, he and his wife having there maintained
their home until the time fo their deaths. On this old homestead their son
Horation N. continiued to reside until the close of his life, and he held
prestige as one of the the substanial farmers and influential citizens of
the community.

Dr. Edwin W. Crooks acquired his preliminary education in the public
schools, and in his youth he began reading medicine by utilizing the medical
library of his uncle, Dr. Edwin W. Crooks, who had removed to California.
Finally he entered Pulte Medical College in the City of Cincinnati, Ohio,
this institution, one of the oldest and best Homeopathic schools in the
West, having been founded by another uncle of the doctor. He was graduated
as a member of the class of 1906, and since thus receiving his degree he has
continued a close student of the best standard and periodical literature of
his profession and thus kept in touch with the advances made in medical
surgical science. As previously stated, Doctor Crooks has been engaged in
practice at Parkersburg since 1908, and this city has been the stage of his
earnest and able representative practice which gives him precedence as one
of the leading physicians of the metropolis of his native county. He is a
member of the Little Kanawha and Ohio Valley Medical Society and the
American Institue of Homeopathy. He gave nine years of effective service as
president of the Board of Health of Wood County, is a republican in
political allegiance, and the the time-honored Masonic fraternity he has
completed the circle of each the York and the Scottish Rites, in the latter
of which he has received the thirty-second degree. His maximum York Rite
affiliationis with the Commandery of Knights Templars in his home city, he
is identified also with Nemesis Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and is an
appreciative and popular member of the Parkersburg Lodge of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.

The year 1917 recorded the marriage of Doctor Crooks and Miss Rebecca Dils,
and they have two sons, Edwin W., Jr,. and Horation N. (III). Doctor and
Mrs. Crooks are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Jackson

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Pam Honaker
pam_honaker@hotmail.com
October 28, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
Pg. 465

JACKSON FAMILY–WOOD COUNTY

JACKSON FAMILY. John Jackson was born near Londonderry, Ireland, in
1719, was reared in the City of London, where he learned the builder’s
trade, and in 1848 crossed the ocean to Calvert County, Maryland. About
1769 he and his family crossed the mountain into Northwestern Virginia, and
made permanent settlement on the Buckhannon River, just below Jackson’s
Fort. Both he and his wife had experiences during the period of Indian
warfare, and in mental, moral and physical strength they were fitted to
become the forebears of an illustrious race of descendants. John Jackson
died at Clarksburg September 25, 1801. His wife, whose maiden name was
Elizabeth Cummins, died in 1825. Of their eight children the second son,
Edward, was the grandfather of Thomas Jonathan Jackson, know to immortal
fame as Gen. Stonewall Jackson.

Their first born son was known as Col. George Jackson. He was born
aabout 1750 and in 1773 entered 400 acres of land in the vicinity of
Clarksburg. He had a sound mental and physcial inheritance, and was a
natural leader, though without the oppurtunities to secure a literary
education. He was with the frontier militia in the Indian wars, was
commissioned colonel of a Virginia regiment by General Washington in the
Revolution, and 1781 joined General Clark’s expedition against the British
at Detroit. The first County Court of Harrison County was held at his home
in 1784. He was elected a member of the House of Burgesses, was a member of
the State Convention that ratified the Federal Constitution, and three times
was chosen a member of Congress. It is said that a speech he made in
Congress caused so much amusement among the members that he announced he
would go home and send his son to Congress, and he would not be laughed at.
His son John, in fact immediately succeeded him, entering the Eighth
Congress.

This son, John George Jackson, was born near Buckhannon, Virginia, and
died at Clarksburg in 1825. He was liberally educated by his father, was
elected a member of the Legislature in 1797, was appointed surveyor of
Goverment lands west of the Ohio in 1793, and as noted was elected to
Congress as successor of his father, serving from the Eighth to the
Fourteenth congressess inclusive, except the Twelfth. He was a brigadier
general of militia and in 1819 appointed United States judge for the Western
District of Virginia, and was on the bench when he died . The first wife of
John George Jackson was Mary Payne, who was born about 1781 and died
February 13, 1808. She was a daughter of John and Mary (Coles) Payne. She
and Mr. Jackson were married in the executive mansion in the White House.
That honor was granted the bride by virtue of her being a sister of the wife
of the President of the United States, the famous Dolly Madison. The second
wife of John George Jackson, by whom is descended another line of the
Jackson family in West virginia, was a daughter of Return Jonathan Meigs, of
the distinguished Meigs family of Ohio.

The only son of the first marriage of John George Jackson was Gen. John
Jay Jackson, who was born in Wood county, Virginia, February 13, 1800. Much
of his early life was spent in Parkersburg. He was educated privately and
in Washington College in Pennsylvania, and by appointment from President
Monroe entered West Point Military Academy in 1815, graduating in his
nineteenth year. As an officer of the Regular army he performed service in
the Seminole war in Florida, and at one time was a member of Gen. Andrew
Jackson’s staff. About January 1, 1823 he resigned his commission and
turned his attention to the law. He soon reached the front ranks of his
profession and was many times elected to public office. From 1830 to 1852
he was prosecuting attorney in the Circuit Superior Court. He was a
brigadier general of Militiia from 1842 until the beginning of the Civil
war. His last public service was as a member of the Convention at Richmnd
in 1861, wher he eloquently upheld the Union. He organized and was
president of the Second National Bank of Parkersburg. He died January 1,
1877.

Gen. John Jay Jackson married in 1823 Emma G. Beeson, who died in 1842.
In 1843 he married Jane. E. B. Gardner.

While without doubt one of the ablest and most useful men in his
generation in Parkersburg and his section of Virginia, Gen. John Jay Jackson
had perhaps an even greater distiction in being the father of five eminent
sons, all of whow became conspicious in the history of West Virginia. These
sons were Judge John Jay Jackson, United States District Judge James Monroe
Jackson, Governor Jacob Beeson Jackson, Henry Clay Jackson and Andre Gardner
Jackson.

John Marshall

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 7, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg 100

John Marshall, a busy Parkersburg lawyer, represents the third successive
generation of that family in the legal profession, and his ancestry
altogether is one that has had a close relationship with the history of the
Western Virginia country from earliest pioneer times.

His great-great-grandfather, Aaron Marshall, was a soldier under General
Washington during the French and Indian war, lived prior to the Revolution in
Soutwestern Pennsylvania, and in 1780 moved to Hancock County, Virginia. His
son John, who was born in 1782 and died in 1859, spent his entire life in
Hancock County. James G. Marshall, grandfather of the Parkersburg lawyer,
was born in Hancock county, November 21, 1826, and died October 6, 1902. He
was an able attorney and served twenty-four years as prosecuting attorney of
Hancock County. He was a republican, and his example in politics has been
followed by subsequent generations. He married Lavina Miller, and her two
sons, Erastus D. and Oliver S., both became lawyers.

Oliver S. Marshall, whose home is at New Cumberland in Hancock County, was
born September 24, 1850. He graduated from Bethany College in 1878, and has
for many years served as a trustee of that institution. He was a member of
the State Senate three times, being president of the Senate in 1899, and was
a delegate to the Republican National Convention of 1892. Oliver S. Marshall
married, September 8, 1880, Elizabeth Tarr, who was born at Wellsburg, this
state, daughter of Campbell and Nancy (Hammond) Tarr. Campbell Tarr was one
of the historic figures in the formation of the State of West Virginia, and
as a delegate from Brooke County withdrew from the secession convention at
Richmond. He was a member of the conventions at Wheeling, served as
treasurer of the Provisional Government, and was the first state treasurer.

John Marshall, only son of Oliver S. and Elizabeth (Tarr) Marshall, was born
July 28, 1881, at New Cumberland He finished his literary education at
Bethany College, where he graduated A. B. and A. M. in 1902, received his A.
B. degree from Yale College in 1903, and graduated in law from the University
of West Virginia in 1904. The following year he began his practice at
Parkersburg, and has gained prominence both as an able business lawyer and on
the public side of his profession. From 1908 to 1912 he was assistant United
States attorney of the Northern District of West Virginia. Mr. Marshall was
a delegate from West Virginia to the Republican National Convention at
Chicago in 1920. In 1921 he was appointed special assistant to the United
States attorney general to try cases involving alien enemy property seized by
the Government.

Besides his work as a lawyer he has been a director of the Smoot Advertising
Company, Ohio Valley Publishing Company, Parkersburg Publishing Company,
Parkersburg Ohio Bridge Company, United States Roofing & Tile Company, and a
director of the Chamber of Commerce. He has been for several years chairman
of the Wood County Chapter of the American Red Cross. He was the organizer
and first president of the Rotary Club at Parkersburg, is a member of the
college fraternities Beta Theta Pi, Delti Chi, Theta Nu Epsilon, and is a
member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is also a member
of the Parkersburg Country Club, Blennerhassett Club, and is a member of the
Christian Church.

M. Marshall married, January 25, 1906, at Wheeling, Miss Rebecca Cooper
Pauli, a native of Wheeling and daughter of Joseph F. and Emma (Senseney)
Pauli. Her grandparents were Judge James and Jane Ann (Fry) Pauli. The
former was a judge of the Supreme Court of West Virginia. Her grandmother
was a daughter of Judge Joseph L. Fry, who was a descendant of Colonel Fry,
at one time colonel of the Virginia regiment in which George Washington was
lieutenant-colonel. Washington succeeded to the command of the regiment when
Colonel Fry was killed in action. Mrs. Marshall’s father was a prominent
Wheeling manufacturer and financier. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall have two
children: John, Jr., born February 22, 1908, and Joseph Pauli, born May 29,
1912.

Lewis M. Ludow

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Pam Honaker
pam_honaker@hotmail.com
October 28, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
Pg. 464

LEWIS M. LUDOW-WOOD COUNTY

LEWIS M. LUDLOW is president and manager of the Acme Fishing Tool
Company, one of the important industries that contribute to the prestige
Parkersburg enjoys as a business and industrial center o f the oil and gas
interests in the territory.

Mr Ludlow, who first can to West Virginia for his health and has
remained to engage in business affairs, was born at Ludlow, near New York
City, in Westchester County, New York , May 25 1884, son of Thomas W. and
Harriet (Carnochan) Ludlow, his father English and his mother of
English-Scot ancestry. The New York town of Ludow was named for his
grandfather, Thomas W. Ludlow, who gave the right of way to the New York
Central Railroad.

Lewis M. Ludlow was reared at Ludlow, attended St. John’s School and
Military Academy at Ossining, New York and subsequently entered Columbia
University at New York City, where he pursued special studies for about
three years. Lack of money not permitting him to remain to graduate, he
turned his attention to the confectionery business, and having for some time
suffered ill health he sought a change of climate, removing to West Virginia
in 1910. For two years he was in Roane County with the Louis F. Payn Oil
Company, and his work pur him in practical touch with every phase of oil
production. With this experience he felt justified in entering the oil
business on his own account, but in a short time had lost all his capital
and the venture was almost disastrous.

Mr. Ludlow in 1912 became associated with the late George L. McKain,
founder and president of the Acme Fishing Tool Company at Parkersburg. He
remained with Mr. McKain until 1912, when he resigned his position to enter
into the importing business in New York City. Upon the death of Mr. McKain
he returned to Parkersburg and again associated himself with the Acme
Fishing Tool Company, in the capacity of president.

Mr. Ludlow is a member of the Episcopal Church, is a republican,
belongs to the Chamber of Commerce, the Kiwanis Club, Country Club, is a
member of the advisory and thirty-second degree Scottish rite Mason, a
member of Nemesis Temple of the Shrine, and the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks. In 1914 he married Harriet McKain, daughter of George L.
McKain. They have one daughter, Ann.

Walter Edmund Mcdougle

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Pam Honaker
pam_honaker@hotmail.com
May 21, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II,
page 463

HON. WALTER EDMUND McDOUGLE, WOOD COUNTY

Hon. Walter Edmund McDougle. Thirty years as a lawyer and eight years on
the Circuit Bench is embraced in the professional and public record of Judge
McDougle of Parkersburg. He is one of the best loved men in that community,
and upright and able judge, and a man who has been true to all the heavy
obligations of his life.

He represents the third generation of this family in West Virginia, and was
born on a farm eight miles below Parkersburg, in Wood county, December 4,
1867. His first American ancestor was John McDougle, who was born in
Scotland in 1731. Benjamin McDougle, of the second generation, was born in
Maryland in 1762, and married Elizabeth Duke. Their only child, Samuel F.
McDougle, grandfather of Judge McDougle, was born n Virginia, June 14, 1798,
and for some years had his home in that portion of Warren County which is
now part of Clark County in old Virginia. In 1848 he moved to what is now
West Virginia. All his active career was spent as a farmer. He was
pronouced opponent of the institution of slavery, thought essentially true
to the institutions of the South.

His son, Albert Armstrong McDougle, whose mother was Mary Armstrong, was
born in Warren County, Virginia, December 2, 1838, and spent practically his
entire life as a farmer and stockman in Wood County, West Virginia. He was
killed on a railroad crossing July 5, 1905. He was a student at Williams
College in Ohio when the Cival War broke out. He returned home with the
intention of entering the Union army. Three brothers had gone into the
Confederat service, and he was influenced not to enlist. In his old home
community at Washington Bottoms in Wood County, January 11, 1866, he married
Louisa Jane Lewis, who was born February 21, 1841, and died October 7, 1870.
Her father was Francis Keene Lewis.

Walter Edmund McDougle was the oldest of four children, and the only one to
survive infancy. His boyhood days were spent on the home farm until 1886,
and in the meantime he attended the local schools. For about eightenn
months he attended the Tri-State Normal College at Angola, Indiana, taking a
commercial course, and in 1889 began reading law with Judge John G. McCluer
of Parkersburg. In Septtember 1890, he entered the law school of Washington
and Lee University, graduating with the law degree in June 1891, and was
admitted tothe bar at parkersburg, July 13th.

Judge McDougle continued active in his work as a lawyer for over twenty
years, until he went on the bench. He was frequently honored with public
office, serving four years, 1893-96, as prosecuting attorney of Wood County.
During this term in office he never has a mistrial or any case
successfully appealed against him in higher court. The judge before whom he
tried many of his cases said that he was the best prosecuting attorney that
had ever practiced in his court. From 1909 to 1912, he was assistant
prosecuting attorney. He was elected judge of the Fourth Judicial Circuit
of West Virginia in 1912, being chosen on the republican ticket, though for
his second termhe had no opposition. He has never beeen a partisan
politician, and his widespread popularity is due to the eminent fitness he
has shown for his judicial responsibilities.

Judge McDougle is affiliated wht the Knights of Pythias, Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and other
fraternal and social organizations, and he and his family are Presbyterians.
At Marietta, Ohio, April 18, 1891, he married Myrtle Elizabeth Curry,
daughter of George and Eliza (White) Curry. Her father was a Union soldier
and later a brick manufacturer. The only son of Judge McDougle is Robert
Boreman McDougle, who was born February 7, 1893. He graduated from the
Parkersburg High School, from Washington and Lee University in 1916, and
during the World war was a first lieutneant in the Three Hundred and
Twenty-fourth Field Artillery, serving two years, fourteen months of which
time were spent overseas in France. He was in the battle of the Argonne.
He is now rated as one of the ablest young lawyers in the section of West
Virginia, and is assistant prosecuting attorney of Wood County.