Category Archives: Wetzel

Arch K. Fleming

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 735

Members of the House of Delegates.

FLEMING, ARCH K. (Republican.) Address:
Folsom, West Va. Delegate from Doddridge county.
Born at Center Point, in that county, May 31, 1892;
received his elementary education in the common schools
and afterwards took special courses at the State Normal
School, at Fairmont, and the West Virginia Business
College, at Salem; a teacher by profession; was chosen
to represent Doddridge county in the Legislature at the
November election, 1916, and in the sessions of 1917 served
on House standing committees on Prohibition and Tem-
perance, Education, Virginia Debt, Medicine and Sanita-
tion, Counties. Districts and Municipal Corporations.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Lewis Wetzel

“Adventure of Lewis Wetzel”
From The Casket, 1837

Amongst the heroes of border warfare, Lewis Wetzel held no inferior station. –Inured to hardships while yet in boyhood, and familiar with all the varieties of forest adventure, from that of hunting the beaver and the bear, to that of the wily Indian, he became one of the most celebrated marksmen of the day. His form was erect, and of that height best adapted to activity, being very muscular, and possessed of great bodily strength. From constant exercise, he could without fatigue bear prolonged and violent exertion, especially that of running and walking ; and he had, by practice, acquired the art of loading his rifle when running at full speed through the forest; and, wheeling on the instant, he could discharge it with unerring aim, at the distance of eighty or one hundred yards, into a mark not larger than a dollar. This art he has been known more than once to practice with fatal success on his savage foes.

A marksman of superior skill was, in those days, estimated by the other borderers much in the same way that a knight templar, or a knight of the cross, who excelled in the tournament or the charge, was valued by his contemporaries, in the days of chivalry. Challenges of skill often took place; and marksmen, who lived at the distance of fifty miles or more from each other, frequently met by appointment, to try the accuracy of their aim, on bets of considerable amount. Wetzel’s fame had spread far and wide, as the most expert and unerring shot of the day. It chanced that a young man, a few years younger than myself, who lived on Dankard’s creek, a tributary of the Monongahela river, which waters one of the earliest settlements in that region, heard of his fame, and as he also was an expert woodsman, and a first rate shot, the best in his settlement, he became very desirous of an opportunity for a trial of skill. So great was his desire, that he one day shouldered his rifle, and whistling his faithful dog to his side, started for the neighborhood of Wetzel, who, at that time, lived on Wheeling Creek, distant about twenty miles from the settlement on Dunkard’s creek. When about half way on his journey, a fine buck sprang up just before him. He levelled his gun with his usual precision, but the deer,
though badly wounded, did not fall dead in his tracks. His faithful dog soon seized him and brought him to the ground, but while in the act of his doing this, another dog sprang from the forest upon the deer, and his master, making his appearance at the same time from behind a tree, with a loud voice claimed the buck as his property, because he had been wounded by his shot and seized by his dog. It so happened that they had both fired at once at this deer, a tact which may very well happen where two active men are hunting on the same ground, although one may fire at the distance of fifty yards, and the other at one hundred. The dogs felt the same spirit of rivalry with their masters, and quitting the deer, which was already dead, fell to worrying and tearing each other. In separating the dogs, the stranger hunter happened to strike that of the young man. The old adage, “strike my dog, strike myself,” arose in full force, and without further ceremony, except a few hearty curses, he fell upon the hunter and hurled him to the ground. This was no sooner done than he found himself turned, and under his stronger and more powerful antagonist. Discovering that he was no match at this play, the young man appealed to the trial of rifles, saying it was too much like dogs, for men, and hunters, to fight in this
way. The stranger assented to the trial, but told his antagonist that before he put it fairly to the test, he had better witness what he was able to do with the rifle, saying that he was as much superior, he thought, with that weapon, as he was in bodily strength. He bid him place a mark the size of a shilling on the side of a huge poplar that stood beside them, from which he would start with his rifle unloaded, and running a hundred yards at full, and wheeling, would discharge it instantly to the centre of the mark. The feat was no sooner proposed than performed! the ball entered the centre of the diminutive target: astonished at his activity and skill, his antagonist instantly inquired his name. Lewis Wetzel, at your service, answered the stranger. The young hunter seized him by the hand with all the ardor of youthful admiration, and at once acknowledg- ed his own inferiority. So charmed was be with Wetzel’s frankness, skill, and fine
personal appearance, that he insisted upon his returning with him to the settlement on Dunkard’s creek, that he might exhibit his talents to his own family, and to the hardy backwoodsmen, his neighbors. Nothing loth lo such an exhibition, and pleased with the energy of his new acquaintance, Wetzel consented to accompany him; shortening the way with their mutual tales of hunting excursions and hazardous contests with the common enemies of the country. Amongst other things, Wetzel stated his manner of distinguishing the footsteps of a white man from those of an Indian, although covered with moccasins, and intermixed with the tracks of savages. He had acquired this tact from closely examining the manner of placing the feet; the Indian stepped with his feet in parallel lines, and first bringing the toe to the ground : while the white man almost invariably places his feet at an angle with the line of march. An opportunity they little expected, soon gave room to put his skill to the trial. On reaching the young man’s home, which they did that day, they found the dwelling a smoking ruin, and all the family lying murdered and scalped, except a young woman who had been brought up in the family, and to whom the young man was ardently attached. She had been taken away alive, as was ascertained by examining the trail of the savages.

Wetzel soon discovered that the party consisted of three Indians and a renegade white man, a fact not uncommon in those early days, when, for crime or the love of revenge, the white outlaw fled to the savages, and was adopted on trial into their tribe.

As it was past the middle of the day, and the nearest assistance still at some considerable distance, and there were only four to contend with, they decided on instant pursuit. As the deed had very recently been done, they hoped to overtake them in their camp that night, and perhaps before they could cross the Ohio river, to which the Indians always retreated after a successful incursion, considering themselves in a manner safe when they had crossed to its right bank, at that time occupied wholly by the Indian tribes.

Ardent and unwearied was the pursuit, by the youthful huntsmen; the one, excited to recover his lost mistress, the other, to assist his new friend, and to take revenge for the slaughter of his countrymen slaughter and revenge being the daily business of the borderers at this portentous period*(Between 1782 and 1784). Wetzel followed the trail with the unerring sagacity of a bloodhound; and just at dusk traced the fugitives to the noted war path, nearly opposite to the mouth of Captina creek, emptying into the Ohio, which, much to their disappointment, they found the Indians had crossed, by forming a raft of logs and brush, their usual manner when at a distance from their villages. By examining carefully the appearance on the opposite shore, they soon discovered the fire of the Indian camp in a hollow way, a few rods from the river. Lest the noise of constructing a raft should alarm the Indians, and give notice of the pursuit, the two
hardy adventurers determined to swim the stream a few rods below. This they easily accomplished, being both of them excellent swimmers ; fastening their clothes and ammunition in a bundle on the tops of their heads, with their rifles resting on the left hip, they reached the opposite shore in safety; after carefully examining their arms, and putting every article of attack or defence in its proper place, they crawled very cautiously to a position which gave them a fair view of their enemies, who, thinking themselves safe from pursuit, were carelessly reposing around their lire, thoughtless of the fate that awaited them. They instantly discovered the young woman apparently unhurt but making much moaning and lamentation, while the white man was trying to pacify and console her with the promise of kind usage, and an adoption in the tribe. The young man, hardly able to restrain his rage, was for firing and rushing instantly upon them.–Wetzel, more cautious, told him to wait until daylight appeared, when they could meet with a better chance of success, and of also killing the whole party, but if they attacked in the dark, a part of them would certainly escape. As soon as daylight dawned, the Indians arose and prepared to depart. The young man selecting the white renegade, and Wetzel an Indian, they both fired at the same time, each killing his man. The young man rushed forward knife in hand, to relieve the young woman, while Wetzel reloaded his gun and pushed in pursuit of the two surviving Indians, who had taken to the woods, until they could ascertain the number of their enemies. Wetzel, as soon as he saw that he was discovered, discharged his rifle at random, in order to draw them from their covert. Hearing the report, and finding themselves unhurt, the Indians rushed upon him before he could again reload. This was as he wished: taking to his heels, Wetzel loaded as he
ran, and suddenly wheeling about, discharged his rifle through the body of his nearest, but unsuspecting enemy. The remaining Indian, seeing the fate of his companion, and that his enemy’s rifle was unloaded, rushed forward with all energy. the prospect of prompt revenge being fairly be- fore him. Wetzel led him on, dodging from tree to tree, until his rifle was again
ready, when suddenly turning, he shot his remaining enemy, who fell dead at his feet. After taking their scalps, Wetzel and his friend, with their rescued captive, returned in safety to the settlement. Like honest Joshua Fleetheart, after the peace of 1795, Wetzel pushed for the frontiers on the Mississippi, where he could trap the beaver, hunt the buffalo and the deer, and occasionally shoot an Indian, the object of his mortal hatred. He finally died as he had always lived, a free man of the forest.

Submitted by: Alan Wiley
date:June 1, 2003

Andrew Wilczek

WETZEL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: WILCZEK, Rev. Andrew
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 19, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 254-255
Hancock County

REV. ANDREW WILCZEK. During the six years that Rev.
Andrew Wilczek has been the pastor of Sacred Heart
of Mary Catholic Church at Weirton he has impressed the
community with his disinterested work in the cause he
serves, and has given evidence of the possession of qualities
which must assuredly call forth general admiration, even
from those who differ most sharply with him theologically
and otherwise. His sincere piety, his intense moral earnest-
ness, his uninterrupted industry, his unfailing kindliness
and his spirit of tolerance have gone far to make him beloved
by his flock and prosperous in the affairs of his parish,
and have gained him the good will and assistance of those
of other creeds, without which no priest considers that
he has achieved the fullness of his mission.

Father Wilczek was born in Poland, where he received
his early education at the University of Cracow and a
Military Academy and held the rank of sub-lieutenant in
the army. Coming to the United States in 1910, he com-
pleted his theological education and was ordained a priest
of the Catholic Church at Detroit. His first services were
at Norfolk, Virginia, where he built a church and spent
two years, and at the end of that period came to Weirton.
accepting the call to Sacred Heart of Mary parish. This
parish was started at the beginning of the town of Weirton
by Father Madert, the first congregation of thirty of forty
families meeting for service in a small building on Avenue
A. Father Madert remained one year and was succeeded
by Father Przybysz, who continued for a like period, the
next priest in charge being Father Lo Monacco, who re-
mained only a few months. His successor was Father
Pawlowski, who continued one year, and October 16, 1916,
he was replaced by Father Andrew Wilczek, who has con-
tinued to the present.

One year following his arrival Father Andrew Wilczek
had so straightened out the financial affairs of his parish
that he was able to buy the present property on Avenue
F and to build a combination building of church, school,
hall, dining hall, kitchen, etc., at a cost of $100,000. On
September 7, 1919, the corner stone was laid and the church
was dedicated October 24, 1920. On both these occasions
Father Wilczek entertained Bishop P. J. Donahue of the
Diocese of Wheeling, who assisted at the above named
ceremonies. Prominent men of Weirton were served at
a banquet in the rectory. The neighboring clergymen, with
their people, participated in both those events, and high
compliment was paid the Pastor, Andrew Wilczek, by sev-
eral of the speakers present for the wonderful growth
and development of this congregation. In September, 1917,
the school started, under the charge of two Franciscan
Sisters, there being at that time eighty pupils in attendance.
At this time there are 250 pupils and five teachers, and the
high school graduation is on the same basis as that of the
public schools. At the present time the Sacred Heart
of Mary congregation includes some 220 families, or ap-
proximately 1,000 souls. The parish maintains nine Polish
societies, of which two own their own buildings, and these
societies include in their objects dramatics, music and
civics. About 120 of the parish own their own homes, their
inclinations in this direction having been encouraged by
Father Wilczek, who realizes what a great factor the home
is in making for education, higher morals and better citizen-
ship, for he himself became a citizen of the United States
January 16, 1917. He is active throughout the Wheeling
diocese, and acts not only as a spiritual guide to his people,
but as their advisor on all matters pertaining to their wel-
fare and as their sincere friend in all the situations of life.

Charles Corliss

WETZEL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: CORLISS, Charles (published 1923)
*******************************************************************
Submitted by
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 16, 1999
********************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 235-236
Wetzel County

CHARLES CORLISS, whose experience in the building of
public works is practically nation wide, has for some years
been settled down as a resident and business man at West
Virginia and has been one of the principals in developing
an important industry for the supply of building material
at New Martinsville, where he is president of the Ohio
River Gravel Company.

Mr. Corliss was born in Monroe County, Wisconsin, May
7, 1864. His father, Samuel Corliss, who was born in
Vermont in 1841, was a rugged New Englander and early
identified himself with the arduous work of the great lumber
woods. As a young man he went to Wisconsin, became a
timberman and was active in the lumber industry of that
state for many years, his home the greater part of the
time being in Monroe County. He was a republican in
politics and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Samuel Corliss died in Wisconsin in 1907. He married
Mary Williams, who was born in England and died in
Wisconsin in 1907. They became the parents of two sons,
George and Charles. George is a railroad man living at
Minneapolis.

Charles Corliss acquired a public school education in
Monroe County, Wisconsin, but at the age of fifteen was
earning his own way. For four years he was employed in
sawmills and the lumber camps of Wisconsin. After that
he took up the somewhat itinerant occupation of employ-
ment on various public works, including bridge building,
and this experience in time took him over practically all
of the United States and even into old Mexico. Mr. Corliss
has been a resident of West Virginia since 1911. For four
years he was superintendent during the construction of
the dam at Woodland. Then, in 1916, he moved to New
Martinsville and established the Corliss Sand Company.
In August, 1919, he incorporated the business and in Jan-
uary, 1921, consolidated it with the New Martinsville Sand
Company. The company is now known as the Ohio River
Gravel Company and was organized on January 1, 1922,
consolidating with the Wheeling Sand and Gravel Com-
pany, the Armstrong Sand Company of Wheeling, the New
Martinsville Sand Company, the Marietta Sand Company
of Marietta, Ohio, and the Parkersburg Sand Company of
Parkersburg, West Virginia. The officials are: Charles
Corliss, president; George Ross, of Parkersburg, vice presi-
dent and general manager; A. P. Turley, of Parkersburg,
secretary and treasurer. The company has all the facilities
for the rapid and economical handling of sand and gravel,
digging it by dredge and elevator from the Ohio River.
The capacity of each plant is a thousand tons per day
for sand and gravel. This material is shipped to Fair-
mont, Clarksburg, Weston, Buckhannon, Elkins, Grafton
and, in fact, all over Northern West Virginia. The plant
and offices are on the banks of the Ohio River in the north
part of New Martinsville.

Mr. Corliss is an established resident of New Martins-
ville, owning a modern home at 915 North Third Street.
He is a republican voter, a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church and is affiliated with the New Martins-
ville Kiwanis Club and Phoenix Lodge No. 72, Knights
of Pythias, at Memphis, Tennessee. In 1911, at St. Louis,
he married Mrs. Dina Falentine Stocker, who was born in
Germany and came to the United States at the age of
seventeen. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. John H. Falen-
tine. Her mother is now deceased, while her father still
lives in Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Corliss have one son,
Robert, born August 8, 1913.

Friend Ebenezer Clark

WETZEL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 13, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 152

FRIEND EBENEZER CLARK, Ph. D. While the greater part of his career has been
devoted to the teaching of chemistry, Doctor Clark is widely known in scientific
circles by reason of his original scholarship and as an authority on the
chemical side of industry.

Doctor Clark, who for the past seven years has been head of the Department of
Chemistry of the West Virginia University, is a native West Virginian, born at
New Martinsville, August 21, 1876, son of Josephus and Lina Russell (Cox) Clark.
His grandfather, Ebenezer Clark, came to West Virginia from Pennsylvania and
settled in Wetzel County. Josephus Clark was born in Marshall County, West
Virginia, in 1835, and in Wetzel County was a merchant and farmer, and served
one term as sheriff. He died in May, 1905. His wife, Lina Russell Cox, was born
in New Martinsville, West Virginia, in 1848, daughter of Friend and Susan Cox,
and she is still living at New Martinsville at the age of seventy-three. She and
her husband were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Josephus
Clark was a Mason.

Friend Ebenezer Clark grew up at New Martinsville, graduated from the high
school there in 1894, and from that year until 1898 carried the undergraduate
studies of West Virginia University, receiving in the latter year the Bachelor
of Science degree. The following four years he spent in graduate work in Johns
Hopkins University at Baltimore, and was awarded the Doctor of Philosophy degree
in 1902. Since then he has been a special student in other institutions of
learning, having attended the University of Chicago during the summer session of
1907, and was in the University of Berlin during 1908. Professor Clark was an
instructor in chemistry in West Virginia University during the school year
1902-03. Leaving his alma mater, he was instructor in industrial chemistry in
the Pennsylvania State College from 1903 to 1905 and from 1905 to 1914 was
professor of chemistry at Center College, Danville, Kentucky. In 1914 he
returned to his congenial association with West Virginia University, and since
then has held the chair of chemistry.

Doctor Clark is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of
Science, is a Fellow and life member of the Chemical Society of London, and a
member of the American Chemical Society, American Electra-Chemical Society and
the Society of Chemical Industry. He is a Phi Kappa Psi and Phi Beta Kappa,
belongs to the Masonic Lodge at New Martinsville, and took the Knight Templar
Commandery degrees at Danville, Kentucky. He and Mrs. Clark are members of the
Presbyterian Church.

In June, 1911, he married Emma May Hanna, who was horn at Newcastle,
Pennsylvania, daughter of Samuel and Lucy J. (Dinsmore) Hanna. Doctor and Mrs.
Clark have two children, Josephine Brown, born August 6, 1912, and Samuel
Friend, born February 16, 1916.

J. Friend Alley

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 730

Members of the House of Delegates.

ALLEY, J. FRIEND. (Democrat.) Address: Pine
Grove, West Va. Born March 17, 1891, at Pine Grove,
Wetzel county; educated in the common schools, and at the
Elliott Commercial School, Wheeling; is now cashier of the
Bank of Pine Grove; was elected to the House of Delegates
as one of the members from Wetzel county in November,
1916, and during the regular session and the extraordinary
sessions of 1917 served on the following standing commit-
tees of that body: Agriculture, Education, Prohibition and
Temperance, Private Corporations and Joint Stock
Companies, Counties, Districts and Municipal Cor-
porations.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

George R. Krebs

WETZEL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 23, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 572-573
Wetzel

GEORGE R. KREBS has gained prestige as one of the able
and successful civil and mining engineers in his native state
of West Virginia, and maintains his home and professional
headquarters in the City of Charleston.

Mr. Krebs was born at New Martinsville, Wetzel County,
this state, on the 5th of March, 1872, and there he acquired
his early education. In preparation for his chosen pro-
fession he entered the University of West Virginia, in which
he completed a scientific course that included thorough in-
struction in civil and mining engineering, he having gradu-
ated as a member of the class of 1899, with the degree of
B. S. He forthwith became associated with railroad con-
struction service, and in 1899-1900 was resident engineer for
the White Oak Railroad, a branch of the Chesapeake &
Ohio Bailroad extending from Glen Jean to Oakwood. In
1901-2 he was identified with the construction of the
“Bend’s Scenic Railroad,” this work being one of the
most difficult ever attempted in railroad construction to
afford facilities for coal-mining operations in West Vir-
ginia. For two years Mr. Krebs was superintendent of
mines for the New River Coal Company, for which he had
charge of the construction of shafts, drifts, tipples, etc.
In 1910 he became junior member of the firm of Clark &
Krebs, which has developed a large and important pro-
fessional and constructive business in the domain of min-
ing engineering. In its operations the firm at times finds
it essential to employ numerous assistants, entailing a pay-
roll output of fully $8,000 a month.

Mr. Krebs is a member of the Alumni Association of the
University of West Virginia, in which institution he be-
came affiliated with the Sigma Chi fraternity, and he is an
active member of the Charleston Chamber of Commerce, as
well as of the Lions Club of this city. In the Masonic
fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite and is a noble of the Mystic Shrine. His wife,
whose maiden name was Lettie Carr, is a daughter of the
late Dr. C. Carr, of Clay, Clay County. Mr. and Mrs.
Krebs have four children: Grenville R., Donnie, Mary Dean
and Helen. In the World war period Grenville R. Krebs
was in the aviation service of the United States Navy for a
period of three years. Mr. and Mrs. Krebs are affiliated
with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, being members
of the Humphreys Memorial Church. Mrs. Krebs is an
active worker in the Order of the Eastern Star. She has
served as secretary for the past eight years of that order.
She is also an active worker in her church and its various
organizations.

Charles E. Krebs

WETZEL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 23, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 530
Wetzel

CHARLES E. KREBS, of Charleston, is a mining engineer
and geologist of thirty years’ experience and an acknowl-
edged authority among the engineers and economic geol-
ogists in the coal districts of West Virginia. He is also
an authority on oil and. gas deposits in West Virginia,
and a member of the Western states.

Mr. Krebs was born at New Martinsville, Wetzel County,
West Virginia, May 19, 1870, a son of John W. and Eliz-
abeth (Hubacher) Krebs. His grandfather, Nicholas
Krebs, was a native of Alsace-Lorraine, served as a soldier
under the great Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo, and
a year after that battle came with his family to America
and settled in Ohio, where he lived until his death, in
1855, at the age of seventy years. John W. Krebs was
born in Ohio, and spent his active life as a farmer and
carpenter in Wetzel County, West Virginia, where he
died in 1908, at the age of seventy-seven years.

Up to the age of sixteen Mr. Krebs lived on a farm,
attended common schools, and from sixteen to nineteen
he taught in rural schools. He then entered West Virginia
University, where he pursued a scientific and engineering
course, and graduated with the degree Bachelor of Science
in Civil Engineering in 1894.

The work he has done since graduation comprises a
notable volume of professional interests. Up to 1897 he
was engineer on location and construction of the Charles-
ton-Clendenin & Sutton Railroad from Charleston to Elkins.
During 1898-1900 he was a mining engineer in the New
River coal field. In 1900 he became a member of the
firm Clark & Krebs, and for eight years did prospecting
and development work on coal properties, railroad con-
struction, the building of coke ovens and the study of the
different coal measures in West Virginia and Kentucky.
In 1908 Mr. Krebs was appointed assistant geologist of
the West Virginia Geological Survey, and worked as as-
sistant to the distinguished Dr. I. C. White, West Virginia’s
grand old man of science. For six years he gathered
ata, made investigations of the resources of West Vir-
ginia, and submitted these data for publication to Doctor
White. The detailed reports published by the survey,
based on the data supplied by Mr. Krebs, are as follows:
Detailed report of Jackson, Mason and Putnam counties,
1911; Cabell, Wayne and Lincoln counties, 1913; Kanawha
County, 1914; Boone County, 1915; Raleigh, Summers and
Mercer counties, 1916.

Since 1915 Mr. Krebs has been engaged in general
geological work and mining engineering in West Virginia,
Ohio, Kentucky and several Western states. He has made
a specialty of reports and valuation of coal, oil and gas
properties. In 1919 he published the Fuel Ratio of Coal,
showing the qualities of the West Virginia coals as com-
pared with those of Ohio. During the years 1921-22 he
assisted the state tax commissioner of West Virginia in
making a small valuation of the coal lands in West
Virginia for state taxation purposes.

Mr. Krebs is a member of the American Institute of
Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, and has been secre-
tary of the Charleston section of that association. He is
also a member of the West Virginia Coal Mining Institute.
Before a convention of coal and mining engineers at
Huntington in September, 1921, he read a carefully pre-
pared article on coal deposits and production of Southern
West Virginia. He is a member of the Presbyterian
Church, is a Knight Templar and Thirty-second degree
Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, and is a charter member
of the Rotary Club.

In 1899 Mr. Krebs married Miss Donnie Carr, of Clay
County, West Virginia. She died two years later. In
1905 he married Josephine Stephens, of Paden City, West
Virginia. They have one son, Charles Gregory, born Decem-
ber 10, 1907, and is now attending high school.

Walter F. Burgess

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 722

BURGESS, WALTER F. (Republican.) Address:
Reader, West Va. Born at Fanlight, Wetzel county, April
29, 1877; reared on a farm near Reader; educated in the
public schools; is an oil driller and contractor, and has
been closely connected with the oil developmend [sic]in Wetzel
county; was elected to the Senate from the Second Dis-
trict in 1916; is a hold-over Senator; in 1917 was Chair-
man of the committee on Roads and Navigation, and a
member of the committees on Privileges and Elections,
Education, Banks and Corporations, Public Buildings
and Humane Institutions, Claims and Grievances, Pro-
hibition and Temperance.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

W. D. Price

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

745

PRICE, W. D. (Democrat.) Address: Parkersburg,
West Va. One of the members of the House from Wood
county. Born in Wetzel county, West Virginia, Septem-
ber 15, 1877; educated in the public schools and the Fair-
mont State Normal; at present is engaged in the mercan-
tile business and at farming; did much in committee to
perfect the present prohibition law; elected to the Legis-
lature in 1916; during the 1917 sessions was assigned to
the following committees: Penitentiary (Chairman),
Prohibition and Temperance, Private Corporations and
Joint Stock Companies, Roads and Internal Navigation,
Claims and Grievances, Humane Institutions and Public
Buildings..

Submitted by: Valerie Crook