Category Archives: WV

Albert Gallatin Chrislip

BARBOUR COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
March 18, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 353

ALBERT GALLATIN CHRISLIP. An ambition to be a mer-
chant was the leading motive in the early career of Mr.
Chrislip. Having no capital but what he could earn, he
farmed, taught school and clerked until the day of realiza-
tion came when he could get into business for himself. In
point of years of service he is the oldest merchant of
Philippi, and is one of the very successful and substan-
tial citizens of that community.

His family name involves an interesting story of his
original German ancestor. At the close of the thirty years’
war in Germany, known as the war of extinction, after
which that country was left practically desolate, a lonely
babe was found in an old oven and the king of the prov-
ince was asked to name the child. He called it “Chris-
lieb,” meaning Christ love. After coming to manhood
this youth came to America and settled in Pennsylvania,
establishing his home near Carlisle in the Cumberland
Valley. The family name has since undergone a change
of form, and a number of branches of the descendants
of the original settler have become scattered over the
Allegheny region and further west.

The grandfather of the Philippi merchant was Abram
Chrislip, who, accompanied by two brothers, Isaac and
Samuel, settled in Barbour County and were successful
farmers near Elk City. Abram Chrislip married Amanda
Britton, and they are buried in the grave-yard near the lit-
tle Village of Elk City. Of their children Ervin was the
oldest child; Elza lives at Elk City; Elmore Lee lives
with his older brother; Elizabeth is the wife of Albert
Reeder, of Carthage, Illinois; and Julia, married Alpheus
Corder and died at Carthage, Illinois.

Ervin Chrislip was born near Elk City and spent his
life there on a farm. He was a Confederate soldier, going
through the war without injury. He died in April, iyi»,
at the age of eighty-five. Mis wife, who died in March,
1874, when about fifty years of age, was Mary Darnels.
Her father, Joseph Daniels, was a pioneer in this region
of West Virginia, his home being near Elk City, and he
died during tne Civil war. He came here from Augusta
County, Virginia. At one time he was elected a member
of the Legislature in old Virginia, and attended the legis-
lative sessions, journeyed to and from Richmond on horse-
back. Ervin Chrislip and wife had the following chil-
dren: William L., a merchant of Philippi; Albert Gal-
latin; Edmond H., who died, leaving a family, at Elk
City; Emma, wife of Jacob Rogers, of Phillppi; Abram,
a graduate of Columbia University, New York and an
educator living at Berkeley, California; and Bessie, wife
of Lawrence McGee, of Elk City.

Albert Gallatin Chrislip was born near Elk City, one
of the old villages of Barbour County, on August 26, 1859.
During his youth he attended a brief term of instruction
in the country school each winter, and the rest of the time
he worked on the farm. At the age of twenty-two he
began teaching, and taught in the country for two winters.
In 1882 he came to Philippi, and after taking a course
in the select school of Professor Cornwell, taught in the
public schools at Philippi fur two years, For another
year he was a deputy in the office of County Clerk Luther
C. Elliott, one of the good old citizens of Barbour County,
long since passed away. About that time came the op-
portunity to get experience in the line which he had de-
termined to follow permanently, and he became a clerk
in the store of Job H. Glasscock, this being then the largest
general siore at Philippi. Two years later he started in
business for himself as an implement dealer, and he brought
to Philippi the first improved farm machinery ordered for
sale here. About the same time he became a representa-
tive of a fertilizer manufacturing concern, and it is claimed
that Mr. Chrislip sold the first stock of fertilizer in Bar-
bour County. This business brought him in direct touch
with farmers, and he was soon marketing for his customers
large quantities of raw wool. But his business expanded
step by step, and later he added a stock of groceries and
finally merged all his departments into one large general
mercnandise business on Main Street now known as the
Farmers Supply Store, which runs an annual aggregate
of sales totaling $30,000. He erected his business house
on Main Street, one of the modern structures in the town,
and also owns one of the beautiful and attractive resi-
dences of the city.

In the line of public duty Mr. Chrislip responded sev-
eral times to election as a memuer of the City Council. At
that time plans were being made for some of the public
improvements which have since ueen completed. Mr. Chris-
lip for many years was an active democrat, but with pass-
ing years he hass cut away from partisan affiliations and
regards himself as strictly independent. Since the age
of fourteen he has been a member of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church, and fraternally he is a past noble grand of
the Lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows and one
of the oldest members of that fraternity at Philippi, also
belongs to the Encampment and is a member of the Ki-
wanis Club.

In Taylor County, October 28, 1898, he married Miss
Ella Nuzum, daughter of Allen Nuzum, Boothsville, that
county, where she was born and reared on a farm. Mrs.
Chrislip was one of a family of two sons and four daugh-
ters. Mr. and Mrs. Chrislip have four talented children.
Lillian Nuzum Chrislip, the oldest, graduated from Broad-
dus College of Philippi, and in 1922 graduated from tne
Boston Conservatory of Music. John Howard, the second
child, is a graduate of the Philippi High School and of
Broaddus College, and is now taking a course in electrical
engineering. The two younger children are Allen Rockwell,
a high school boy, and Charles Woodrow.

Clark L. Rohrbough

BARBOUR COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 327-328
Barbour

CLARK L. ROHRBOUGH, M. D., is one of the able and repre-
sentative physicians and surgeons of Barbour County, where
be has been established in successful general practice since
1883, with residence and professional headquarters at
Belington.

The Doctor was born on a farm near Buckhannon, Up-
shur County, February 23, 1858, and is a son of John M.
and Matilda (Butt) Rohrbough, the latter having been bom
in Lewis County, as was also her father, William Butt, who
was a member of one of the sterling pioneer families of
that county. John M. Rohrbough was a son of Anthony
Rohrbough, who came from the vicinity of the north branch
of the Potomac River and became one of the very early
settlers of what is now Upshur County, West Virginia, his
farm having been two miles east of Buckhannon and he
having there reclaimed his land from the wilderness. He
was a member of the first class, of ten members, that
established the first Methodist Church in that county, and
his Christian faith was ever shown in his daily life. He
and his wife remained on the old homestead until their
deaths, and there were reared not only their children but
also a number of their grandchildren. The eldest son,
George, removed to Illinois and there remained until his
death in Hancock County; Anthony remained in Upshnr
County until his death, as did also Benjamin; John M.,
father of the subject of this sketch, was the next younger
son; Jacob died at Buckhannon and Isaac in Lewis County.
Dorcas, the elder daughter, became the wife of Michael
Strader after the death of her first husband, whose name
was Tenny, and Mahala, who became the wife of John Love,
died in Barbour County.

John M. Rohrbough continued as a successful farmer in
Upshur County until his death, in the. spring of 1860, and
his widow survived him by more than thirty years, her
death having occurred in 1893, on the old home place near
Buckhannon. All of their ten children attained to adult
age: Elizabeth is the widow of Seth Williams and resides
at Buckhannon; Marietta is the widow of John Griffith and
now resides at Harlingen, Texas; Virginia, the wife of
John Hyer, died in Upshur County, when still a young
woman; William lives at Beverly, Randolph County; Je-
mina, wife of Jerome Pultz, died in Lewis County;
Matilda is the wife of S. S. Leonard of Buckhannon;
Columbia is the wife of Archibald Hinkle, Jr., and they
maintain their home at Belington; Ardelia, the widow of
Tillotson Martin, resides in Barbour County; Vermont
died unmarried; and Dr. Clark L., of this review, is the
youngest of the number.

The public and county normal schools afforded to Doctor
Rohrbough his early education, and for six years he was
a successful teacher in the schools of his native county, his
earnings enabling him to realize his ambition and begin
preparation for his chosen profession. After reading
medicine two years under the preceptorship of Dr. J. P.
Miller, of Buckhannon, he entered the Medical College of
Ohio in the City of Cincinnati, and in the spring of 1883
he received from this institution his degree of Doctor of
Medicine. For five years thereafter he gave his attention to
a wide rural practice in Barbour County, with residence
at Talbott, and he then removed to Belington, where he
has continued in practice as one of the leading physicians
of the county and where he has status as one of the loyal,
public-spirited and influential citizens. He is actively iden-
tified with the Tri-County Medical Society (Randolph, Bar-
bour and Tucker counties) and also with the West Virginia
State Medical Society. He has served as health officer of
the Belington independent school district, was city recorder
one term, and later gave two terms of specially effective
administration as mayor of Belington, he having been very
strenuous in his efforts to eliminate the liquor traffic in
the city. He has given unfaltering allegiance to the repub-
lican party, and he and his wife hold membership in the
Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has been an active
member of thirty years.

On the 27th of January, 1885, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Doctor Rohrbough and Miss Hulda Carpenter, who
was born and reared in Barbour County and who was the
third in order of birth of the five children of Coon and
Julia (Harris) Carpenter. Doctor and Mrs. Rohrbough have
four children: Pearl, wife of Herbert Sparks, of Niles,
Ohio; Otis C., of Davis, West Virginia; Flossie, wife of
Frank Phillips, of Belington; and Mrs. Hazel Dunlap, of
Mount Clemens, Michigan.

James Stanley Corder

BARBOUR COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 24, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 594
Barbour

JAMES STANLEY CORDER, son of William Alonzo Corder,
is a prominent young banker of Philippi. He was born at
the home of his parents in Barbour County, October 11,
1887, and was liberally educated, graduating from the
public schools and from Broaddus College of Philippi, and
attended the preparatory school of “West Virginia “University
at Keyser, and West Virginia Wesleyan College at Buck-
hannon. He taught school in Barbour County for two years.

His early ambition was for a medical career, and he had
attended college with that in view. However, upon the
organization of the People’s Bank of Philippi on September
15, 1908, he entered that institution as teller, and served
in that capacity until 1914, when he became cashier. He
was the youngest teller and also the youngest cashier in
the city and the county when he entered upon the respective
duties of those positions. The active officers of the bank
are Lee J. Sandridge, president; William A. Corder, first
vice president; B. E. Snyder, second vice president; J.
Stanley Corder, cashier; and Sherman Lindsey, assistant
cashier.

J. Stanley Corder married Miss Audrey Dyer, and they
have one daughter, Ruth Reynolds Corder. J. Stanley
Corder is high in Masonry being a Knight Templar and
Shriner.

Clyde Poling

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

744

POLING, CLYDE. (Republican.) Address: Berry-
burg, West Va. Member of the House of Delegates from
Barbour county. Born in that county April 13, 1891;
educated in the public and subscription schools, and at the
Fairmont State Normal; has devoted practically his
entire time to educational work, his present profession
being that of Principal of Schools. Along with this work,
however, he has given much attention to the cause of
temperance. He was elected to the Legislature in 1916,
and during the 1917 sessions was a member of the following
committees: Education and Prohibition and Temperance.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook