From “History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and
Representative Citizens,” by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902.
Typed by Laurie Birks Dean
A. E. SCHEEHLE, the genial proprietor of a fine drug store in Wheeling,
West Virginia, is one of the most popular young business men in Ohio
county. He was born in this city in 1871 and attended school diligently
until he attained the age of fourteen years. Shortly afterward he went
to Philadelphia, entered a drug store, and further added to his store of
knowledge by attending night school. After serving three years’
apprenticeship he entered, at the age of seventeen years, the
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, where he completed his knowledge of
the drug business career, which has been so fraught with success. He
subsequently worked in the drug house of O. T. Young for three years,
and afterward followed similiar work with Young & Perry for perhaps a
year and a half.
Mr. Scheehle then returned to his native city, well equipped to
enter into business for himself, having, during this last few years,
made practical application of his knowledge of the drug business. In
1896 he moved his drug store in Wheeling to its present location, and
has been favored with a gradual increase of trade up to the present
time. Two years previous to the change he was united in marriage with
Blanche Scott, a daughter of L. D. and Elizabeth (Harding) Scott, of
Two children blessed this union, namely: Alma J. and Thomas D.
Philip Scheehle, father of A. E., is a member of the firm of Scheehle
& Lutz, well-known contractors and builders of Wheeling, having erected
the Post Office, First Ward school and many other important public buildings
of the city.
In popularity Mr. Scheehle stands second to none in his district, and
from the date of his return to Wheeling he has been looked upon as a recognized
leader by the young people. His popularity increased so rapidly that by
common consent he was asked to enter politics, which he did, and has since
been supported by many Democrats. In 1898 he ran on the Republican ticket,
and was elected to the second branch of the city council from the second ward,
serving a full term. During this time he was appointed on the committees on
claims, railroads, equalization, and appeals. In January, 1900, he was re-
elected to fill the same position, notwithstanding there were 13 candidates
for the nomination. Of the 600 votes polled he secured 410, and immediately
after his election was appointed chairman of the railroad and election
committees. In 1896 he served as delegate to the congressional convention
held at Wheeling Park, and also served as secretary of the Washington Republican
Club during the campaigns which elected William McKinley President.
Although not a member of any church, Mr. Scheehle has liberal ideas on
religious subjects, and is very charitable to the poor. Fraternally, he is a
member of the Black Prince Lodge, No. 19, K. of P., of Wheeling, which he
joined in 1894, and of Wheeling Lodge, No. 28, B.P.O.E., having joined the
latter in 1897. He has a beautiful family residence at No. 603 Main street.