Category Archives: Monongalia

James Scott Stewart

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 10, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 77 & 78

James Scott Stewart. One of the veteran figures in West Virginia educational
affairs, and familiar as an istructor and in other official capacities to the
student body of the university at Morgantown for more than forty years, James
Scott Stewart has made an enviable record of service and is one of the greatly
admired citizens of Morgantown.

He was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, January 5, 1854. Both his grandfathers
were natives of Scotland. His paternal grandfather, Alexander Stewart, a son
of James Stewart, left Scotland early in life and, going to London, England,
became what is known as flour factor or a wholesale dealer in flour. Prior to
1820 he left England and came to the United States, and somewhat later settled
at Steubenville, Ohio, where he lived out his life. He had a considerable
fortune, and one of his investments was a good farm in Jefferson County about
twelve miles from Steubenville. He was instrumental in instituting the first
Lodge of Masons at Stuebenville and became a charter member.

His son, James R.M. Stewart, was born in London and was only a boy when his
parents came to the United States. He grew up in Jefferson County, Ohio,
inheriting the Stewart farm there, and in addition to the responsibilities of
its management he was for years a lumber manufacturer, operating lumber mills.
He died in Ohio in 1881, at the age of seventy-three. James R.M. Stewart
married Cordelia K. Scott, also a native of London, England, and brought as a
child to the United States, her parents settling in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Stewart and Scott families had not been acquainted while living in London.
Cordelia Stewart died in 1895, at the age of seventy-seven.

Her son, Prof. James Scott Stewart, grew up on the old homestead in Eastern
Ohio. His interests were largely identified with the farm until after attaining
his majority. His apt scholorship gave him a good record in the common and high
schools, and in August, 1873, he enrolled as a student in West Virginia
University. He was graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree in 1877, and
three years later received the Master of Science degree. After his graduation
Mr. Stewart remained as an instructor in the preparatory department of the
university, and continued through the various grades of instruction until he
was promoted to professor of mathematics in the university in 1891. During the
school year 1894-95 he was superintendent of public schools at Fairmont, West
Virginia, but without exception he continued to perform his duties as
professor of mathematics until June, 1907. Since leaving the faculty of
instruction Mr. Stewart has continued with the university in an official
capacity as manager of the University Book Store, which is an important adjunct
of the university and a business of no small proportions measured in the
commercial scale.

During his long residence at Morgantown Mr. Stewart has acquired other business
and civic interests. He was one of the organizers of the Farmers and Merchants
Bank and has been a director since the early years of the instituion. He is
vice president and a director of the Morgantown Savings & Loan Society and is
examiner for the real estate offered the society as basis for loans. He is
also a member of the Board of Directors and secretary of the Board of the
Chaplin Collieries Company of Morgantown. Mr. Stewart for forty-three years has
been an elder in the First Presbyterian Church at Mortgantown.

He married Louisa M. Hayes, daughter of Alexander Hayes, of Morgantown.
Following the death of his first wife Mr. Stewart married Sara Meredith,
daughter of the late John Q.A. Meredith, of Fairmont, West Virginia.

Everett Ray Taylor

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 198

Everett Ray Taylor, M. D., made a definite choice of a medical career as a
young man, and pursued his studies preparatory to that great profession with
practically no interruption until he was qualified by graduation and
experience for his duties as a physician and surgeon. Since 1908 he has been
engaged in a successful practice at Morgantown.

He was born at Dunkard in Greene County, Pennsylvania, April 17, 1883, son of
William R. and Mary Elizabeth (Shelby) Taylor. The first of this branch of
the Taylor family when they came over from England settled in Pennsylvania,
later went to Virginia, and the grandfather of Doctor Taylor, John Evans
Taylor, was born in Old Virginia and founded the family home in Greene
County, Pennsylvania, at the place known as Dunkard, but commonly called
Taylortown in his honor In Greene County he married Sarah Stoker. Doctor
Taylor’s father is William R. Taylor, who was born in Greene County and whose
active interests in that county were as a farmer. In 1898 he removed to
Morgantown, and since then has been in the grocery business.

His wife, Mary Elizabeth Shelby, was born in Greene County, daughter of Aaron
Shelby. This family was established in Greene County by Aaron Shelby, who
moved there from Kentucky. He married Harriet Smith, a native of Greene
County. The parents of Doctor Taylor are active members of the First Baptist
Church of Morgantown.

Everett Ray Taylor graduated from the public schools of Greene County in
1897, and after the family moved to Morgantown spent a year in the City High
School and one year in the preparatory department of West Virginia
University, and then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at
Baltimore, where he was graduated M. D. in 1907. Doctor Taylor practiced for
about a year at Bemis, Randolph County, West Virginia, but since September 1,
1908, has had a busy professional career at Morgantown. He is a member of
the Monongalia County and the American Medical associations. Fraternally he
is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Elks and the Phi Chi college
fraternity and the Kiwanis Club. He married Miss Helen Bowie of Morgantown,
daughter of Walter and Mary Elizabeth (Hunt) Bowie, who were natives of
Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and are now living at Morgantown. Doctor and
Mrs. Taylor have two daughters: Mary Elizabeth, born January 4, 1906; and
Dorothea, born May 17, 1908.

Fred Tropf

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: TROPF, Fred
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 277
Monongalia County

FRED TROPF. The fundamental cause of many of the
industrial disputes and disturbances of recent years has
been due to the separation of financial ownership from
the responsible direct management. A contrasted case,
in which disputes have been conspicuous by their ab-
sence, is furnished by the Tropf Coal Company of Mor-
gantown, of which Mr. Fred Tropf is the manager. Mr.
Tropf came up from the ranks as a working miner, qualified
himself for the responsibilities of mine ownership on the
score of actual efficiency, and today he works at the mines
with his men, knows their viewpoint as well as his own, and
conducts the business as a smooth running frictionless
organization.

Mr. Tropf was born in Brooklyn, New York, October 23,
1870. In 1880, when he was a boy of ten, he went to the
Connellsville coal and coke region of Pennsylvania. With
limited school advantages he started to work with a dump
wheelbarrow and a small fork handling coke, and for sev-
eral years he earned his living by labor in mines, car shops
and other industries. Not satisfied always to work for
others, he put himself in the ranks of independent operators
near Scottdale, Pennsylvania, where he began working an
abandoned mine and did it so systematically and efficiently
as to lay the foundation of his success there. He has been
a coal operator ever since.

In October, 1916, he secured his present mine, which had
been opened by Alexander Tait. This coal property
lies under about 200 acres bordering the Monongahela River,
three miles below Morgantown. There are four veins of
coal in this territory, the Pittsburg being the most valuable.
Above the Pittsburg lie at a distance of some sixty feet
apart two other veins. The Tropf Coal Company confines its
operations to the Pittsburg vein, where eight foot mine
props are used. At the beginning Mr. Tropf loaded only
one car per day, while now he has the facilities for the
prompt loading of from fifteen to twenty-two cars. He em-
ploys 165 men and the average production is 950 tons daily.
A few other local men are associated with him, but he is
the leading spirit and principal owner of the Tropf Coal
Company, and personally superintends every detail of pro-
duction. His mine has a reputation for fair dealing with
its men. Differences almost universally are settled without
calling upon officials of the unions. In only one instance,
and that concerning a minor matter, was an outside union
official appealed to. Mr. Tropf deservedly has won hosts
of warm friends, is a man of liberal views, and plays a sub-
stantial part in the affairs of Monongalia County.

He married Miss Margaret McGoogin, of Scottdale, Penn-
sylvania. They have one daughter, Anna Mary, now a stu-
dent in -the high school at Morgantown.

Hugh Warder

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 8, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 294-295
Monongalia

HUGH WARDER. A number of sound achievements stand
to the credit of Hugh Warder, primarily in the law, to
the practice of which he was admitted more than a score
of years ago, and also in the polities and public affairs
of his home city and state.

Mr. Warder, who is senior member of the well known
Grafton law firm of Warder & Robinson, was born at
Webster, Taylor County, West Virginia, January 30, 1879.
His father Francis S. Warder was born on a farm near
Pruntytown, served as a government teamster during the
Civil war, was a stone-mason by trade, and spent nearly
all his life at Webster, where he died in 1892 at the age
of fifty-one. He was a republican in politics, and for a
time served as a school trustee. He married Lucinda
Keller, daughter of Isaac and Nancy (Moore) Keller. She
was born in Barbour County, but was reared at Gilmer,
and she died in 1892 the same year as did her husband.
Of their seven children, five survive: Miss Clara B., at
the old home in Webster; Charles H., a dairyman at Graf-
ton; Hugh, the lawyer; Miss Ina M., a teacher in the
Grafton public schools; and Mrs. J. F. Fordyce, whose
husband is a train dispatcher of the Baltimore & Ohio
at Grafton.

To a large degree Hugh Warder was left to discover his
own resources and make his own opportunities. He was
thirteen when his parents died, and he had the direction
of his career from that time. After a country school edu-
cation at Webster, he graduated from the Grafton High
School in 1896, and while a clerk in the office of the circuit
clerk of Taylor County, under Frederick J. Burdett and
J. B. St. Clair, he read his first lesson in law. Mr. Warder
finished his law course in West Virginia University and
wag admitted to the bar in 1900.

Instead of beginning practice at once, Mr. Warder deemed
it more to his advantage to continue his duties as book-
keeper for the Speidel Grocery Company, a wholesale house
at Grafton. Then in 1904 he became associated with Judge
Ira E. Robinson and was his partner until the latter went
on the bench of the State Supreme Court. At that time
a new firm was formed by Mr. Warder and Jed W. Robin-
son, a nephew of Judge Robinson, and they have a splendid
business and a widening reputation over the state.

Mr. Warder’s first case in court was a justice trial in-
volving the recovery of a watch. He was successful in
regaining the timepiece for his client, but never got a
fee for his service. He has since participated in much
litigation of a general nature, and of late years an im-
portant share of cornoration practice. The firm have been
attorneys for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.

In 1908 Mr. Warder was elected to the House of Dele-
gates, and was in the session of 1909 under Speaker James
H. Strickling. He was a member of a special committee
to investigate the affairs of the penitentiary, served on
the committee of cities, towns and villages, and devoted
himself to the promotion of a number of worthy bills,
without having any pet measure of his own. Once he suc-
ceeded in getting the consideration of a bill that had been
adversely reported in committee, and it passed the House.

Mr. Warder went to the Legislature as a republican, and
he has acknowledged that political faith since boyhood.
He cast his first presidential vote for Major McKinley in
1900, and has attended a number of state conventions and
was an alternate to the national convention in Chicago in
1916. Mr. Warder managed Judge Robinson’s primary
campaign when the latter ran tor governor, and had charge
of the Robinson headquarters at Grafton.

In Taylor County, June 10, 1903. Mr. Warder married
Miss Anna M. Moran, a native of Grafton and daughter
of Patrick and Anne (Grayston) Moran. Mrs Warrior
was well educated, and left a position as stenographer in
the Merchants & Mechanics Bank of Grafton to become
the bride of Mr. Warder. They are the proud parents
of seven children. Frederick B., Robert, Francis P., Thomas
G., Anna M., Charles E. and John B. Frederick, the oldest
son, is already on his way to distinction. He is a graduate
of the Grafton High School, and is a cadet in the class
of 1925 in the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis.

Samuel Miller Whiteside

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 2, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg 92

Samuel Miller WHITESIDE, who, under the title of S. M.. Whiteside & Company,
conducts at Morgantown, Monongalia County, one of the largest establishments
in the city devoted to the handling of ladies’, misses’ and children’s
apparel, was born at Benwood, Marshall County, this state December 31, 1865,
a son of Robert J. and Amanda (DeMoss) Whiteside, both now deceased. The
parents were born and reared in Maryland, where their marriage was
solemnized, and whence they came to West Virginia and established their home
in Marshall County.

Samuel M. Whiteside received the advantages of the public schools of his
native city, and was a lad of fourteen years when in 1880, he found
employment in the department store of George E. Stifle & Company in the City
of Wheeling. He continued in the employ of this representative mercantile
concern for twenty-six years, worked his way through the various departments
and by faithful and efficient service gained eventual advancement to the
position of buyer in one of the important departments of the establishment.
He resigned his position in 1906 and came to Morgantown where he opened a
small store on the site of the present new building of the Bank of the
Monongahela Valley, on High Street. A year later the increase of his business
led to his removal to larger quarters in the Wiles Block, at 338 High street,
where he has since continued his substantial and prosperous business. when he
removed to his present location Mr. Whiteside at first utilized only 1,400
square feet of floor space, and an idea of the splendid expansion of the
business is conveyed in the statement that at the time of this writing, in
1921, after three additions, the establishment utilized 4,900 square feet of
floor space.

Aside from the representative business enterprise that he has thus developed
Mr. Whiteside takes loyal and helpful interest in the civic and social
affairs of his home city, and is known and valued as one of its liberal and
progressive citizens and business men. He is an active member and a former
director of the Morgantown Chamber of Commerce, holds membership in the local
Kiwanis Club, and is affiliated with Morgantown Lodge No. 411, Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Whiteside married Miss Bertha L. Zevely, of Wheeling, she being a
daughter of John H. and Maggie (Couniahn) Zevely, of that city.

David Hott

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 195

David Hott, A. B., M. D., who is established in the practice of his
profession at Morgantown, Monongalia County, is one of the representative
physicians and surgeons of his native state and a scion of the third
generation of the Hott family in West Virginia, his grandfather, Jacob Hott,
of French-Huguenot lineage, having settled in Berkeley County, this state,
long before West Virginia had been segregated from the mother state of
Virginia. David Hott, Sr., father of the Doctor, was born in Berkeley County
in 1831, and his wife, whose maiden name was Rachel Hancher, was born in the
same county in 1834, she having been of Irish ancestry. David Hott continued
his activities as a farmer in his native county until he purchased and
removed to a farm in Frederick County, just across the line from his old farm
in Berkeley County. There he continued as one of the substantial exponents
of farm industry until his death in 1916. His widow passed away in 1919.

Doctor Hott was born on the old homestead farm in Berkeley County, November
21, 1873, and was reared in Frederick County, to which the family removal was
made when he was two years old. After his well directed public-school
training he entered the University of West Virginia, and in this institution
he was graduated in 1900, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In 1902 he
received his degree of Doctor of Medicine from the College of Physicians and
Surgeons in the City of Baltimore, Maryland, and in the same year he engaged
in the active general practice of his profession at Morgantown, which city
has since continued the stage of his effective professional service, save for
the period during which he was a member of the Medical Corps of the United
States Army at the time of the World war. He entered the medical cops in
October, 1917, and was first stationed at Camp Greenleaf, Georgia, whence he
was later transferred to Fort Hamilton, New York, where he remained until he
crossed to France with the Fifty-ninth Regiment of Coast Artillery. With
this command he embarked March 27, 1918, and after landing at Brest, France,
the regiment proceeded to Villiers-sur-Mare, and saw its first active
fighting in the St. Mihiel sector. Thereafter it was in service in the great
Argonne Forest campaign, proceeded up the River Meuse, and was at Romain when
the historic armistice was signed. Upon the return voyage Doctor Hott landed
in the port of New York City, February 15, 1919, and two weeks later he
received his honorable discharge, with the rank of captain, his commission as
captain having been received when he entered service. He is now a member of
the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States Army, with the rank of major.
After the close of his patriotic service Doctor Hott returned to Morgantown,
where he has since continued his active professional work, in which his
success attests alike his ability and his personal popularity. He is a
member of the Monongalia County Medical Society, West Virginia State Medical
Society, Southern Medical Society, the American Legion and the Veterans of
Foreign Wars.

Doctor Hott married Miss Alene Vance, daughter of George and Mary (Scott)
Vance, of Morgantown. Their one child, George David, was graduated in the
Morgantown High School, and is a member of the class of 1923 in the
University of West Virginia.

Roscoe Parriott Posten

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 76

Roscoe Parriott Posten, one of the successful younger members of the
Morgantown bar, and prosecuting attorney for Monongalia County, has been
engaged in practice since 1915, with the exception of the time that he spent in
the army during the World war, and his general popularity and the confidence in
which he is held were evidenced in 1920, when he was elected to his present
office by the largest majority ever accorded a candidate in this county.

Mr. Posten was born May 22, 1889, at Newburg, Preston County, West Virginia, a
son of Dr. Smith J. and Emma Georgia (Parriott) Posten. His paternal
grandparents, Nicholas and Rosana (Graham) Posten, were descended from two old
Virginia families, while his maternal grandparents, William E. and Sarah
Elizabeth (Crawford) Parriott, were also of Old Dominion stock. Dr. Smith J.
Posten attended West Virginia University in 1882, and was graduated from the
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, Maryland, with the degree of
Doctor of Medicine in 1888. From that year he practiced at Newburg, Preston
County, West Virginia, until 1894, when he removed to Morgantown and spent the
rest of his life in practice at this place. In 1888 he married Emma Georgia
Parriott, who was born in Marshall County, West Virginia, July 14, 1863, and
who still survives him as a resident of Morgantown.

Roscoe P. Posten attended the public schools of Newburg until he was thirteen
years of age, and was graduated from the Morgantown High School with the class
of 1908. He then entered the University of West Virginia, where he received
his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1912, and as a member of the graduating class
of 1915 was given the degree of Bachelor of Laws. In July of the same year
he was admitted to the bar of West Virginia and entered practice at
Morgantown. During the next several years he made rapid progress in his
profession, but his career was interrupted by the World war, and May 28, 1918,
he volunteered and went with the drafted men to Camp Lee, Virginia, where he was
shortly afterwards assigned to the Central Officers’ Training School. The
following October 15th he was commissioned second Lieutenant and ordered to
Camp Upton, New York, where, until his honorable discharge January 31, 1919, he
was engaged in drilling detachments for overseas service. Upon leaving the army
he returned to Morgantown and again engaged in practice, and at the November,
1920, election was chosen as prosecuting attorney for Monongalia County on the
republican ticket. As noted, his majority was the largest ever given a
candidate in Monongalia County, and he has thus far vindicated the confidence
and faith of the voters by giving them excelent service in his official
position.

Mr. Posten is a member of Morgantown Union Lodge No. 4, A.F. and A.M.;
Morgantown Commandery No. 18, K.T.; West Virginia Consistory No. 1, r. and S.M.;
Osiris Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S.; the Morgantown Masonic Lodge No. 411, B.P.O.E.,
and the Beta Theta Pi college fraternity.

Joseph Robert Hughart

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 195 +196

Joseph Robert Hughart, M. D., one of the leading physicians and surgeons of
Morgantown, and health officer for Monongalia County, was born on a farm on
Cooper’s Creek, Kanawha County, West Virginia, the son of James Madison and
Martha (Rogers) Hughart, and grandson of Joseph Hughart, who was born in a
log fort in Greenbrier County, Virginia, where his parents, with other
settlers, had taken refuge during one of the numerous Indian raids of that
day.

James Madison Hughart was born in Greenbrier County, Virginia, in 1820, and
during the war between the states served in the Union Army as a member of
Company A, Seventh Virginia Cavalry, under General Averil, and as such was
captured and confined in Libby Prison for six months. After the close of the
war he married and removed to Kansas, where he homesteaded a tract of land,
but in 1874 returned to West Virginia and settled in Kanawha County, twelve
miles from Charleston. In 1880 he removed to Roane County, this state, where
his death occurred in 1881. His wife, Martha, was born in Nicholas County,
West Virginia, in 1840, and died in 1880. She was a daughter of Robert
Jackson Rogers, a full cousin to Gen. Andrew Jackson. The Rogers family were
Protestants who came from the North of Ireland.

Joseph Robert Hughart was born April 16, 1871, and was reared on the home
farm and obtained his early education in the country schools. At the age of
nineteen years he began to teach school and when he had reached his thirtieth
year he had taught sixteen terms of school, he having secured a first-class
certificate to teach at the beginning. While teaching he applied himself to
the study of medicine, having early determined upon a professional career,
and in 1903 was granted a license to practice by the State Board of Medical
Examiners of West Virginia. He attended the Maryland Medical College at
Baltimore, receiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine from that institution
in 1904, and at that time entered practice at Burnsville, Braxton County,
West Virginia. In 1913 he went before the State Board and was given another
license, and in 1914 entered practice at Morgantown. Here he has risen
steadily in his calling, and is now accounted one of the leaders therein in
Monongalia County, having a large representative and lucrative practice and
being recognized as a physician whose views accord with the highest and best
professional ethics.

On April 1, 1921, Doctor Hughart was appointed county health officer of
Monongalia County, to fill out an unexpired term, and July 1 of the same year
was reappointed for a full term of four years. He is a member of the
Monongalia County Medical Society and the West Virginia Medical Society,
holds membership in the Morgantown Chamber of Commerce and is a well-known
Mason, belonging to Morgantown Union Lodge No. 4, A. F. and A. M.; Chapter
No. 29, R. A. M., and Commandery No. 16, K. T., the two latter of Sutton,
West Virginia. His religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal
Church. While he is not a politician, Doctor Hughart takes an interest in
public affairs, particularly those affecting the general civic welfare of his
adopted city, its institutions and its people, and public-spirited movements
and enterprises find in him a generous and willing supporter.

On February 12, 1898, Doctor Hughart was united in marriage with Miss Russia
E. Carper, daughter of Clifton H. and Prussia (Stackhouse) Carper,
agricultural people of Roane County, this state, and to this union there have
come two children: Robert J., born July 14, 1902; and Joseph M., born March
24, 1905.

David Chadwick Reay

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 14, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 194

David Chadwick Reay, who is engaged in the practice of his profession in his
native city of Morgantown, as one of the representative members of the bar of
Monongalia County, is a scion of the fourth generation of the Reay family in
America and of the third generation in what is now the State of West
Virginia. John Otho Reay, son of Capt. John Otho Reay, of the Royal English
Navy, came to America in 1795, and first settled in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, whence he later removed to Baltimore, Maryland. From the
latter city he thereafter removed to Hardy County, Virginia. He was twice
married, his second wife having been Elizabeth, a daughter of Capt. John
Neville and granddaughter of Gen. Joseph Neville, of Virginia, and of the
marriage were born two sons and two daughters, of whom the son, George M.,
was the grandfather of him whose name introduces this review.

George M. Reay was born in Hardy County, Virginia, in 1813, and when he was
four years of age his widowed mother became the wife of David Gilmore. Soon
afterward the family came to what is now Tucker County, West Virginia, and in
1833 George M. Reay established his residence at Morgantown, where he
continued actively in business until 1870. Here he served as justice of the
peace from 1841 to 1859, and within this period served also as captain of
militia. December 24, 1840, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Maple,
of Greene county, Pennsylvania, and their son, Thomas P., became the father
of David C. Reay of this sketch.

Thomas Presley Reay was born at Morgantown, August 30, 1841, received good
educational advantages, as gauged by the standards of the locality and
period, and he prepared himself for the legal profession. However, he turned
his attention from the law and engaged in the coal and oil business, in which
he had active part in the development of these productive industries in this
section of the state. He served as general deputy collector of internal
revenue for the Eleventh Revenue Division, comprising West Virginia,
Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware and the District of Columbia,
and this office he resigned in 1895, since which time he has continued his
residence at Morgantown and given his supervision to his varied capitalistic
and business interests. His wife, Sarah Virginia, a daughter of Dr.
Marmaduke Dent, died on the 17th of October, 1920, and her memory is revered
by all who came within the sphere of her gracious influence.

David Chadwick Reay, son of Thomas P. and Sarah Virginia Reay, was born at
Morgantown on the 21st of November, 1870, and the local schools afforded him
his preliminary education. In 1895 he was graduated from the law department
of the University of West Virginia, and his reception of the degree of
Bachelor of Laws was followed in the same year by his admission to the bar of
his native state. In 1896 he was appointed deputy clerk of the Supreme Court
of West Virginia, and he continued his service in this capacity until 1902,
when he resigned to enter the practice of his profession at Morgantown. Here
he was associated in practice with Charles A. Goodwin, under the firm name of
Goodwin & Reay, until 1918, when President Wilson appointed him auditor of
the treasury for the Department of the Interior at Washington. In this
office he gave a most effective and creditable administration, and in
October, 1919, he resigned his Government post for the purpose of resuming
the practice of his profession, but it was not until October, 1920, that his
resignation was accepted and he returned to Morgantown, where he has
continued in the practice of law, with a representative clientage. Aside
from his law business Mr. Reay has substantial interests in coal mining and
oil production, and to these he finds it expedient to give the major part of
his time and attention. He is a member of the West Virginia State Bar
Association and the Monongalia Bar Association, is affiliated with the Phi
Sigma Kappa college fraternity, is a staunch democrat, holds membership in
the Morgantown Country Club, and he and his wife are active members of the
First Presbyterian Church in their home city. He is a loyal and progressive
member of the Morgantown Chamber of Commerce.

July 2, 1900, recorded the marriage of Mr. Reay and Miss Margaret Katheine
Krieger, daughter of Frederick and Margaret (Kirschner) Krieger, of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The names and respective dates of birth of the
children of Mr. and Mrs. Reay are here recorded: Margaret Virginia, January
19, 1902; Virginia Dent, October 5, 1904; and David Neville, April 11, 1919.

William Scott John

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

740 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

JOHN, WILLIAM SCOTT. (Republican.) Address:
Morgantown, West Va. One of the representatives from
Monongalia county. Born in that county January 10,
1878; educated in the public schools and the University,
receiving from the latter the degrees of A. B. and L. L. B.;
is a lawyer by profession; also interested in coal produc-
tion and agriculture; instructor in the University law
school 1904; law clerk for Supreme Court of Appeals
1905-7; elected to the Legislature in 1916; was minority
floor leader in the sessions of 1917; served on the following
committees: Judiciary, Railroads, Elections and Privi-
leges, Engrossed Bills and the Virginia Debt

Submitted by: Valerie Crook