Category Archives: Monongalia

August Joseph Schmidiger

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 197

August Joseph Schmidiger, D. D. S. An accomplished and skillful young dental
surgeon at Morgantown, Doctor Schmidiger grew up in this city, was liberally
educated, and after completing his preparation for his profession in the East
returned here to practice.

He was born at Fostoria, Ohio, August 7, 1893, son of Frank and Alice
(Schorno) Schmidiger. His parents were natives of Switzerland, but were
married in this country. The mother was born in 1873 and died in 1915.
Frank Schmidiger was born in 1862, learned the trade of glass maker in
Switzerland, and on coming to the United States in 1888 was employed for a
time in a glass plant at Cumberland, Maryland, and later went to Ohio. He
was one of the organizers of the Seneca Glass Company at Fostoria. Due to
the exhaustion of the natural gas supply the company in 1900 moved its plant
to Morgantown, West Virginia, where the Seneca Glass Company is one of the
large and conspicuous industries at this time. Frank Schmidiger has been in
the business continually, and now has charge of the company’s plant at Starr
City, a suburb of Morgantown.

August Joseph Schmidiger was seven years of age when the family came to
Morgantown. He attended the city schools and in 1907 entered Rock Hill
College at Ellicott City, Maryland, where he took the academic and regular
college work, graduating A. B. in 1914. The following year he entered
Baltimore Dental College at Baltimore, and received his degree in 1918.
About the time he finished his college course Doctor Schmidiger volunteered
for service in the Dental Corps, but he was not called to the colors prior to
the signing of the armistice. In 1919, having returned to Morgantown, he
opened an office for practice, and ranks as one of the most skillful men in
his profession. He is a member of Morgantown Chamber of Commerce, of St.
Francis de Sales Catholic Church and the Psi Omega dental fraternity.

John Shriver

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 10, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 77

John Shriver. Eighteen years of consecutive service as clerk of the Circuit
Court of Morgantown has been sufficient to make John Shriver one of the
best-known citizens of Monongalia County. Moreover, Mr. Shriver represents
one of the oldest families in the section of the state, is a lawyer by
profession, and has also been actively identified with banking and other
affairs.

The Shriver family settled in Monongalia County before the close of the
eighteenth century. The head of the family at that time was Abram Shriver,
who was born in Frederick County, Virginia, September 6, 1768. May 31, 1791,
he married Mary Keckley, who was born in Frederick County, April 19, 1770. The
brief record of their children, the first three of whom were born in Frederick
County and the others in Monongalia County, is as follows: Catherine, born
April 166, 1792, married Jacob Horner, and they settled in Monongalia County;
Adam, born September 7, 1793; Elias, born August 9, 1795; Jacob, born July,
1797; Christiana, born April 12, 1799, became the wife of Michael Core;
Elizabeth, born April 5, 1800, was married to Ezekiel Morris; John, born April
30, 1801, died in 1885; Benjamin, born May 20, 1805; Isaac, born May 27, 1807,
died March 30, 1880, having married Minerva Sine; and Abraham.

This branch of the family record is carried through John Shriver, who, as noted
above, lived to the age of eighty-four. He married Sarah Cannon, and their
chilren were: Eunice, who became the wife of Peter A. Tenant; Abraham, who
married Prudence Moore; Sarah, who was the wife of Daniel V. Moore; and
Cannon.

Cannon Shriver, of the third generation of the family in Monongalia, was born
there September 29, 1831, and was a prosperous farmer and stockman in the Clay
District, where he died in 1888. He served at at constable during the Civil
war, was a republican in politics and a Methodist. He married Minerva Meyers,
who was born in the Clay District, September 30, 1831, and died in 1908. Her
father was John Meyers. Cannon and Minerva Shriver were the parents of eight
children: Elizabeth, deceased wife of Jacob Shanes, who was a native of
Pennsylvania; Prudence, who married Elihu Yost, of Monongalia County; Edgar,
who married Nancy Yost; Martha M., wife of D.L. Hamilton, living in Monongalia
County, West Virginia; John; Mark, who married Minta Wilson; Mary E., wife of
Grant Wilson; and Laura, wife of Lemley Tennant.

John Shriver therefore stands in the fourth generation of this prominent old
family of Monongalia County. He was born on his father’s farm in Clay District,
July 31, 1870. He acquired a liberal education, at first in the public
schools and alter in West Virginia University. He graduated with the law
class of 1901, and was admitted to the bar the same year. He began practice in
Morgantown, but soon answered a call to other reponsibilities. While living
on the farm in 1896 he was elected justice of the peace, and filled that office
2-1/2 years, until he removed to Morgantown. Mr. Shriver was elected clerk
of the Circuit Court in 1902, and his eighteen years of service terminated
January 1, 1921. Since leaving the office of circuit clerk he has been deputy
sheriff. Mr. Shriver was on e of the organizers and is a director of the Bank
of Morgantown, and was also identified with the organization of the
Monongalia Building and Loan Association, of which he is a director. He is
affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Junior Order United American
Mechanics, and is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church.

February 3, 1892, he married Iva Nora Wilson. She was born in Clay District,
daughter of John N. and Lucinda (Moore) Wilson. Her father in now deceased.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Shriver, representing the fifth generation of the
family in Monongalia County, are: Goldie M., born April 9, 1894, died November
18, 1921, as the wife of J.F. Smith, of Morgantown; Nellie Irene, born
February 24, 1901; Beulah Ruth, born April 20, 1903; and Dorothy, born
February 15, 1909.

John Nathan Simpson

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 75 & 76

John Nathan Simpson, M.D. To some individuals are given diversified talents
which they have the ability to utilize for the benefits not only of themselves
but humanity at large. With a broader field in which to labor such men are
able to direct their efforts alon several lines of usefullness, while their own
sympathies are broadened and their characters strengthened. Among the men
whose undoubted gifts have made their names familiar to the present generation
of West Virginians, one who is accomplishing a great and good work along
proffessional lines is John Nathan Simpson, A.B., M.D., dean and professor of
medicine of the University of West Virginia at Morgantown.

Doctor Simpson was born at Mason, Mason County, West Virginia, March 19, 1869,
a son of the late George Perry and Phoebe (Kennedy) Simpson. The American
ancestor of this branch of the Simpson family was Andrew Simpson, who was of
Scotch-Irish stock and who came to the American Colonies from near Belfast in
about 1728, locating first in Boston, Massachusetts, and later removing to
Nottingham, New Hampshire. His son, Josiah Simpson, served as a soldier
during the American Revolution, and in 1778 came West, settling in Meigs County,
Ohio.

Judge Nathan Simpson, son of Josiah Simpson, the Revolutionary war soldier,
was born in Meigs County, Ohio, graduated from the Cincinnati Law School, and
for many years was a leading jurist at Pmeroy, Ohio. At the close of the
Civil war he removed to Mason, Mason County, West Virginia, where he practiced
law and was prominent in the public affairs of the state. George P. Simpson,
son of Judge Simpson, was born at Rutland in Meigs County, Ohio, February 12,
1839, and attended the University of Ohio at Athens, that state, subsequently
reading law under his father and practicing at Pomeroy. He accompanied his
father to West Virginia in 1865 and was located at Mason eight yuears, and
later at Point Pleasant, the county seat of Mason County, where he practiced
law until his death in 1892. Both father and son were members of the
republican party while living in Ohio, but in coming to West Virginia found
that they could not subscribe to the conditions of reconstruction then in
progress and left the old organization, espousing the cause of the democratic
party. They were strongly opposed to the Frick Amendment, which provided
for the disfranchisement of all sympathizers of the Southern cause. George P.
Simpson, an eloquent speaker, who loved campaigning, never failed to take the
stump during periods of electioneering, not for political preferment, but
because of his fondness for going before the people in support of a favored
issue or in opposition to one which he deemed a menace.

Phoebe Kennedy, the wife of George P. Simpson and mother of Dr. John N. Simpson,
was born at Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio, March 30, 1844, and died at Point
Pleasant, West Virginia, in 1896. She was a daughter of James and Margaret
(VanSchriltz) Kennedy. The American ancestor of the Kennedy family came to this
country from Scotland in early days, and the family was later founded in
Pennsylvania, when it moved to Ohio and settled in Meigs County. The
VanSchriltz family probably came from Alsace-Lorraine, where its members were of
the nobility. The American ancestor of this branch of the family came here in
about 1790 and were among the first settlers at Gallipolis, Ohio.

Dr. John Nathan Simpson was graduated from Peabody Norman College, Nashville,
Tennessee, in 1891; from the University of Tennessee, Nashville, class of 1893,
A.B.; and from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, class of 1902,
M.D.; and in 1904 studied in the universities of Paris, Viena and Berlin. In
1902 he organized the School of Medicine of the University of West Virginia,
of which he was dean and professor of physiology until 1920, since then he has
been dean and professor of medicine. It was through his labors that the new
medical building, with its splendid modern equipment, was secured for the
institution. Doctor Simpson was director of the Hygiene Laboratory of Health
of the State of West Virginia Department of Health from 1913 to 1917; was
surgeon of the Cadet Corps of the University of West Virginia from 1902 to 1917;
and August 5, 1917, was commissioned captain in the Medical Reserve Corps, N.A.
During the World’s war he was examiner for Northwest Virginia for the United
States surgeon general’s office for the recruiting of medical officers for
the United Statees. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Medicine, Fellow
of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and Fellow of
the American Medical Association. He is also a member of the Phi Beta Pi,
Theta Nu Epislon and Phi Signa Nu fraternities, is a Presbyterian in his
religious belief, and in politics is a democrat.

On December 20, 1906, Doctor Simpson was united in marriage with Miss Grace
Emily Donley, of Waynesburg, Greene County, Pennsylvania, and to this union
there have come a son and a daughter; John Nathan, Jr., born March 25, 1910;
and Patricia Donley, born December 21, 1914.

Roy Clark Smith

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 4, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg 93

Roy Clark Smith. Few figures are better known in the educational profession
of Monongalia County than Roy Clark Smith, who since 1913 has been
superintendent of the public schools of Morgantown. Identified with
educational work since the beginning of his career, he has been located at
Morgantown since 1909, constantly filling places of trust and responsibility,
and during this time has impressed himself upon the life and institutions of
the community in a manner alike creditable to himself and productive of
lasting benefit to the city.

Mr. Smith was born at Cambridge, Maryland, December 4, 1883, and is of
English-French-Irish stock, being descended from three of the oldest families
of Maryland, the Smiths, Harpers and Clarks. His grandfather, Henry Smith, a
native of Maryland, married Martha Harper, a daughter of Edward Harper, who
was an extensive landholder of Dorchester County, Maryland, owning land which
came to the Harper family by grant directly from Lord Baltimore. He married
Miss Beauchamp, who was born in France. The father of Roy C. Smith was
Marcus H. Smith, who was born in Dorchester County, Maryland, in July 1857,
and was in early life a farmer, later a mill owner and operator at Denton,
and finally a merchant at that place. He married Sarah Matilda Clark, who
was born in Caroline County, Maryland, in December, 1861, a daughter of John
W. Clark, who at the time of his death in 1899 was probably the largest land
holder in Caroline County.

Roy Clark Smith was born at Cambridge, Maryland, December 4, 1883, and
secured his primary education in the public schools of Denton, Caroline
County, Maryland. Graduating from the high school at that place in 1902, he
entered the Western Maryland College, from which he was graduated as a
Bachelor of Arts in 1906. At that time he commenced teaching, but did not
give up his studies, as later he was graduated from the University of
Pennsylvania, class of 1911, with his Master of Arts degree, and in 1916 he
took post-graduate work at Columbia University.

Mr. Smith entered public school work as principal of the schools of Preston,
Maryland, and next became teacher of mathematics and history at Friends
Academy, Long Island, New York, in the fall of 1907. In 1908 he was head of
the department of mathematics of the Westchester (Pennsylvania) High School,
and in the fall of 1909 came to Morgantown to become principal of the high
school here. He continued to act in this capacity until elected
superintendent of city schools in the fall of 1913, and has occupied that
position ever since. Superintendent Smith has made education and
organization and direction of educational activities his life work, and has
been remarkably successful. In almost every field of the work from the
primary to teaching classes in a university, from grade to superintendent of
schools, he has left the mark of an earnest student and apt instructor, an
intelligent organizer and a judicious director. In a professional way his
connections include membership in the West Virginia State Educational
Association and the department of superintendents of the National Educational
Association. Fraternally he is affiliated with Morgantown Union Lodge No. 4,
F. and A. M.; and Lodge of Perfection Rotary Club and the Morgantown Chamber
of Commerce, and his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian Church.

On June 16, 1913, Mr. Smith was united in marriage with Charlotte Wade,
daughter of Clark Wade, of Monongalia County, and granddaughter of Alexander
Wade, one of the most prominent of West Virginia’s public school educators.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith have one son, Robert Wade, born June 5, 1918.

William Jefferson Snee

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PTyler107@aol.com
February 13, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II, pg. 127-128

William Jefferson Snee, a well known Morgantown attorney, also referee in
bankruptcy, is a native of Southwestern Pennsylvania but finished his law
course in West Virginia University and for the past twenty years has made an
enviable record in his profession.
He was born on a farm in Washington County, Pennsylvania, January
28,1873, son of Thomas Jefferson and Sarah Jane (Rue) Snee, the former also a
native of Washington County, while his mother was born in Fayette County,
Pennsylvania. The paternal grandfather was Thomas Jefferson Snee, who was a
native of Pennsylvania, the family having been established in that state by
his father, Thomas Snee, who came from Ireland. The father of the Morgantown
lawyer was born in 1831 and died 1884, devoting his active career to farming,
and when his son, William J., was a boy he moved over the line from
Washington into Allegheny County. The mother was born October 12,1844, and is
still living. Her father, Alexander Rue, was a native of Pennsylvania.
William J. Snee grew up on a farm near Pittsburgh, acquired his early
education in the public schools and for several terms attended the Pittsburgh
Academy and also the Grove City College in Pennsylvania. He taught several
terms in Allegheny County and thus worked his way and paid his expenses while
a student of law. He graduated in law from the University of West Virginia in
1900, the same year he was admitted to the state bar and began his
professional work at Morgantown. Soon afterward he was appointed assistant
prosecuting attorney of Monongalia County, but resigned in about a year to
look after his rapidly growing clientage. he also served two terms as city
recorder of Morgantown and was elected to fill an unexpired term as sheriff
and treasurer of that county. November 18, 1918, he was appointed referee in
bankruptcy by Judge Dayton of the Federal Court.
Mr. Snee was president of the Monongalia County Bar Association in
1919-20. His learning and industry have earned him a specially honored
position in his profession. Fraternally he is a past grand of Monongalia
Lodge No. 10, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a member of Morgantown
Union Lodge No. 4, A.F. and A.M., West Virginia Consistory of the Scottish
Rite and Osiris Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He belongs to the Morgantown
Masonic Club, is a member of the kappa Alpha college fraternity, and the
Methodist Episcopal Church.
August 28, 1901, Mr. Snee married Miss Grace Martin, daughter of J. Ami
and Mary C. (Snyder) Martin. Her parents formerly lived in Preston County and
later in Morgantown.

James H. Stewart

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 8, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 288

HON. JAMES H. STEWART, State Commissioner of Agricul-
ture, and for many years director of the Agricultural Ex-
periment Station at Morgantown, exemplifies the most ad-
mirable qualification for his present duties. He is a man
of high character, represents the substantial social attain-
ments of a family of long residence in the state, and has
the advantage of thorough training and long and successful
practice in the fundamentals of agriculture and stock
raising.

Mr. Stewart was born on the Stewart plantation on the
Kanawha River in Putnam County June 20, 1859, son of
James and Martha Jane (Staton) Stewart. The Stewarts
are a prominent family of Scotch-Irish origin, for many
generations identified with old Virginia and later with
West Virginia. Martha Jane Staton was a daughter of
James Staton, member of the Staton family who first set-
tled on the Kanawha Eiver in Putnam County, about 1812.
The original Staton plantation subsequently came under
the proprietorship of James Stewart, who developed it
into one of the famous estates of the Kanawha Valley.
It remains in the family, being the birthplace of and
still owned by James H. Stewart. The home of James
Stewart in ante-bellum days was widely noted for its
atmosphere of culture and refinement and its genuine
hospitality. Many distinguished guests were entertained
there, and the intellectual and social standards thus created
have continued to this day. Martha Jane Staton was a
rarely gifted woman in all the arts of the household, skill-
ful in the making of fine woven fabrics and other furnish-
ings for her home, and some of the counterpanes, table
covers and kindred articles that she made with her hands
are still in the home, priceless heirlooms.

James H. Stewart attended country schools, the Shelton
College at St. Albans, graduated with the class of 1882
from the University of West Virginia, and also studied
law in the University, graduating in 1885. However, he
never practiced law, finding abundant occupation for his
time and talents on the home plantation in Putnam County.
In 1893 he was made one of the regents of the State Uni-
versity, and in the following year the University author-
ities literally took him away from the plow and placed
him in charge as director of the Agricultural Experiment
Station. He therefore removed his family to Morgantown,
and remained director of the station fourteen years. Fol-
lowing that, until 1916, he was agricultural agent of the
Baltimore & Ohio Railway system.

Mr. Stewart was first elected State Commissioner of Agri-
culture in 1916 and was reelected in 1920. In both elec-
tions he was on the republican ticket, and in the primaries
and in the general election he received the highest vote ever
accorded in West Virginia.

Under Mr. Stewart the Department of Agriculture has
become one of the most vitally important and valuable in
the state government. It comprises a number of bureaus
and sub-divisions, each under the direction of a specialist,
and in the aggregate it is performing work of genuine and
lasting benefit not only for every interest that can be
grouped under the general head of agriculture but for the
welfare of the state as a whole. Some of the effective
lines of its service includes the spreading of knowledge
among farmers and stock raisers as to the best means of
increasing crop yields, getting rid of blights and insect
pests, grading up cattle and livestock, and teaching effi-
ciency and business methods in farm management. Under
this department cattle are being tested out in West Vir-
ginia at a lower cost per animal corresponding with the
efficiency of results that any other state in the Union ex-
cept Iowa. The department has done a great work in
eradicating tuberculosis, and another source of valuable
service is the promotion and supervision of agricultural
fairs.

Mr. Stewart is also a member of the Board of Public
Works in West Virginia, and a member of the Budget
Committee which makes up the appropriations for the state.
During the war with Germany the work of his department
was given over almost entirely to measures leading to the
winning of the war. Mr. Stewart was a member of the
State Council of Defense, and accepted as his special
province all questions relating to increased food production
and conservation of food supplies.

While his official residence is in Charleston, Mr. Stewart
retains his home at Morgantown, and he also keeps, in
close touch with the management of his old home estate on
the Kanawha. This comprises several hundred acres of
fine agricultural and horticultural lands, and its several
units combine to make it one of the model farms and
orchards of West Virginia. An important feature of this
estate is the famous James H. Stewart apple orchard, one
of the largest and most successful orchards in West Vir-
ginia.

Mr. Stewart married Miss Minnie Louise Vance, and they
have one son, James Vance Stewart.

James Scott Stewart

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 10, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 77 & 78

James Scott Stewart. One of the veteran figures in West Virginia educational
affairs, and familiar as an istructor and in other official capacities to the
student body of the university at Morgantown for more than forty years, James
Scott Stewart has made an enviable record of service and is one of the greatly
admired citizens of Morgantown.

He was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, January 5, 1854. Both his grandfathers
were natives of Scotland. His paternal grandfather, Alexander Stewart, a son
of James Stewart, left Scotland early in life and, going to London, England,
became what is known as flour factor or a wholesale dealer in flour. Prior to
1820 he left England and came to the United States, and somewhat later settled
at Steubenville, Ohio, where he lived out his life. He had a considerable
fortune, and one of his investments was a good farm in Jefferson County about
twelve miles from Steubenville. He was instrumental in instituting the first
Lodge of Masons at Stuebenville and became a charter member.

His son, James R.M. Stewart, was born in London and was only a boy when his
parents came to the United States. He grew up in Jefferson County, Ohio,
inheriting the Stewart farm there, and in addition to the responsibilities of
its management he was for years a lumber manufacturer, operating lumber mills.
He died in Ohio in 1881, at the age of seventy-three. James R.M. Stewart
married Cordelia K. Scott, also a native of London, England, and brought as a
child to the United States, her parents settling in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Stewart and Scott families had not been acquainted while living in London.
Cordelia Stewart died in 1895, at the age of seventy-seven.

Her son, Prof. James Scott Stewart, grew up on the old homestead in Eastern
Ohio. His interests were largely identified with the farm until after attaining
his majority. His apt scholorship gave him a good record in the common and high
schools, and in August, 1873, he enrolled as a student in West Virginia
University. He was graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree in 1877, and
three years later received the Master of Science degree. After his graduation
Mr. Stewart remained as an instructor in the preparatory department of the
university, and continued through the various grades of instruction until he
was promoted to professor of mathematics in the university in 1891. During the
school year 1894-95 he was superintendent of public schools at Fairmont, West
Virginia, but without exception he continued to perform his duties as
professor of mathematics until June, 1907. Since leaving the faculty of
instruction Mr. Stewart has continued with the university in an official
capacity as manager of the University Book Store, which is an important adjunct
of the university and a business of no small proportions measured in the
commercial scale.

During his long residence at Morgantown Mr. Stewart has acquired other business
and civic interests. He was one of the organizers of the Farmers and Merchants
Bank and has been a director since the early years of the instituion. He is
vice president and a director of the Morgantown Savings & Loan Society and is
examiner for the real estate offered the society as basis for loans. He is
also a member of the Board of Directors and secretary of the Board of the
Chaplin Collieries Company of Morgantown. Mr. Stewart for forty-three years has
been an elder in the First Presbyterian Church at Mortgantown.

He married Louisa M. Hayes, daughter of Alexander Hayes, of Morgantown.
Following the death of his first wife Mr. Stewart married Sara Meredith,
daughter of the late John Q.A. Meredith, of Fairmont, West Virginia.

Everett Ray Taylor

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 198

Everett Ray Taylor, M. D., made a definite choice of a medical career as a
young man, and pursued his studies preparatory to that great profession with
practically no interruption until he was qualified by graduation and
experience for his duties as a physician and surgeon. Since 1908 he has been
engaged in a successful practice at Morgantown.

He was born at Dunkard in Greene County, Pennsylvania, April 17, 1883, son of
William R. and Mary Elizabeth (Shelby) Taylor. The first of this branch of
the Taylor family when they came over from England settled in Pennsylvania,
later went to Virginia, and the grandfather of Doctor Taylor, John Evans
Taylor, was born in Old Virginia and founded the family home in Greene
County, Pennsylvania, at the place known as Dunkard, but commonly called
Taylortown in his honor In Greene County he married Sarah Stoker. Doctor
Taylor’s father is William R. Taylor, who was born in Greene County and whose
active interests in that county were as a farmer. In 1898 he removed to
Morgantown, and since then has been in the grocery business.

His wife, Mary Elizabeth Shelby, was born in Greene County, daughter of Aaron
Shelby. This family was established in Greene County by Aaron Shelby, who
moved there from Kentucky. He married Harriet Smith, a native of Greene
County. The parents of Doctor Taylor are active members of the First Baptist
Church of Morgantown.

Everett Ray Taylor graduated from the public schools of Greene County in
1897, and after the family moved to Morgantown spent a year in the City High
School and one year in the preparatory department of West Virginia
University, and then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at
Baltimore, where he was graduated M. D. in 1907. Doctor Taylor practiced for
about a year at Bemis, Randolph County, West Virginia, but since September 1,
1908, has had a busy professional career at Morgantown. He is a member of
the Monongalia County and the American Medical associations. Fraternally he
is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Elks and the Phi Chi college
fraternity and the Kiwanis Club. He married Miss Helen Bowie of Morgantown,
daughter of Walter and Mary Elizabeth (Hunt) Bowie, who were natives of
Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and are now living at Morgantown. Doctor and
Mrs. Taylor have two daughters: Mary Elizabeth, born January 4, 1906; and
Dorothea, born May 17, 1908.

Fred Tropf

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: TROPF, Fred
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 277
Monongalia County

FRED TROPF. The fundamental cause of many of the
industrial disputes and disturbances of recent years has
been due to the separation of financial ownership from
the responsible direct management. A contrasted case,
in which disputes have been conspicuous by their ab-
sence, is furnished by the Tropf Coal Company of Mor-
gantown, of which Mr. Fred Tropf is the manager. Mr.
Tropf came up from the ranks as a working miner, qualified
himself for the responsibilities of mine ownership on the
score of actual efficiency, and today he works at the mines
with his men, knows their viewpoint as well as his own, and
conducts the business as a smooth running frictionless
organization.

Mr. Tropf was born in Brooklyn, New York, October 23,
1870. In 1880, when he was a boy of ten, he went to the
Connellsville coal and coke region of Pennsylvania. With
limited school advantages he started to work with a dump
wheelbarrow and a small fork handling coke, and for sev-
eral years he earned his living by labor in mines, car shops
and other industries. Not satisfied always to work for
others, he put himself in the ranks of independent operators
near Scottdale, Pennsylvania, where he began working an
abandoned mine and did it so systematically and efficiently
as to lay the foundation of his success there. He has been
a coal operator ever since.

In October, 1916, he secured his present mine, which had
been opened by Alexander Tait. This coal property
lies under about 200 acres bordering the Monongahela River,
three miles below Morgantown. There are four veins of
coal in this territory, the Pittsburg being the most valuable.
Above the Pittsburg lie at a distance of some sixty feet
apart two other veins. The Tropf Coal Company confines its
operations to the Pittsburg vein, where eight foot mine
props are used. At the beginning Mr. Tropf loaded only
one car per day, while now he has the facilities for the
prompt loading of from fifteen to twenty-two cars. He em-
ploys 165 men and the average production is 950 tons daily.
A few other local men are associated with him, but he is
the leading spirit and principal owner of the Tropf Coal
Company, and personally superintends every detail of pro-
duction. His mine has a reputation for fair dealing with
its men. Differences almost universally are settled without
calling upon officials of the unions. In only one instance,
and that concerning a minor matter, was an outside union
official appealed to. Mr. Tropf deservedly has won hosts
of warm friends, is a man of liberal views, and plays a sub-
stantial part in the affairs of Monongalia County.

He married Miss Margaret McGoogin, of Scottdale, Penn-
sylvania. They have one daughter, Anna Mary, now a stu-
dent in -the high school at Morgantown.

Hugh Warder

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 8, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 294-295
Monongalia

HUGH WARDER. A number of sound achievements stand
to the credit of Hugh Warder, primarily in the law, to
the practice of which he was admitted more than a score
of years ago, and also in the polities and public affairs
of his home city and state.

Mr. Warder, who is senior member of the well known
Grafton law firm of Warder & Robinson, was born at
Webster, Taylor County, West Virginia, January 30, 1879.
His father Francis S. Warder was born on a farm near
Pruntytown, served as a government teamster during the
Civil war, was a stone-mason by trade, and spent nearly
all his life at Webster, where he died in 1892 at the age
of fifty-one. He was a republican in politics, and for a
time served as a school trustee. He married Lucinda
Keller, daughter of Isaac and Nancy (Moore) Keller. She
was born in Barbour County, but was reared at Gilmer,
and she died in 1892 the same year as did her husband.
Of their seven children, five survive: Miss Clara B., at
the old home in Webster; Charles H., a dairyman at Graf-
ton; Hugh, the lawyer; Miss Ina M., a teacher in the
Grafton public schools; and Mrs. J. F. Fordyce, whose
husband is a train dispatcher of the Baltimore & Ohio
at Grafton.

To a large degree Hugh Warder was left to discover his
own resources and make his own opportunities. He was
thirteen when his parents died, and he had the direction
of his career from that time. After a country school edu-
cation at Webster, he graduated from the Grafton High
School in 1896, and while a clerk in the office of the circuit
clerk of Taylor County, under Frederick J. Burdett and
J. B. St. Clair, he read his first lesson in law. Mr. Warder
finished his law course in West Virginia University and
wag admitted to the bar in 1900.

Instead of beginning practice at once, Mr. Warder deemed
it more to his advantage to continue his duties as book-
keeper for the Speidel Grocery Company, a wholesale house
at Grafton. Then in 1904 he became associated with Judge
Ira E. Robinson and was his partner until the latter went
on the bench of the State Supreme Court. At that time
a new firm was formed by Mr. Warder and Jed W. Robin-
son, a nephew of Judge Robinson, and they have a splendid
business and a widening reputation over the state.

Mr. Warder’s first case in court was a justice trial in-
volving the recovery of a watch. He was successful in
regaining the timepiece for his client, but never got a
fee for his service. He has since participated in much
litigation of a general nature, and of late years an im-
portant share of cornoration practice. The firm have been
attorneys for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.

In 1908 Mr. Warder was elected to the House of Dele-
gates, and was in the session of 1909 under Speaker James
H. Strickling. He was a member of a special committee
to investigate the affairs of the penitentiary, served on
the committee of cities, towns and villages, and devoted
himself to the promotion of a number of worthy bills,
without having any pet measure of his own. Once he suc-
ceeded in getting the consideration of a bill that had been
adversely reported in committee, and it passed the House.

Mr. Warder went to the Legislature as a republican, and
he has acknowledged that political faith since boyhood.
He cast his first presidential vote for Major McKinley in
1900, and has attended a number of state conventions and
was an alternate to the national convention in Chicago in
1916. Mr. Warder managed Judge Robinson’s primary
campaign when the latter ran tor governor, and had charge
of the Robinson headquarters at Grafton.

In Taylor County, June 10, 1903. Mr. Warder married
Miss Anna M. Moran, a native of Grafton and daughter
of Patrick and Anne (Grayston) Moran. Mrs Warrior
was well educated, and left a position as stenographer in
the Merchants & Mechanics Bank of Grafton to become
the bride of Mr. Warder. They are the proud parents
of seven children. Frederick B., Robert, Francis P., Thomas
G., Anna M., Charles E. and John B. Frederick, the oldest
son, is already on his way to distinction. He is a graduate
of the Grafton High School, and is a cadet in the class
of 1925 in the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis.