Category Archives: Mineral

Tom F. Kenny

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
April 12, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 400

TOM F. KENNY, dean of the insurance agents at Pied-
mont, and ex-postmaster of the city, is one of the most rep-
resentative men of Mineral County, and one who holds the
confidence of everyone who knows him. Practically his
entire life has been spent in this locality, and no man has
its interests closer at heart than he. He was born on Bac-
coon Creek, near the Village of Newburg, Preston County,
West Virginia, December 25, 1853, a son of Thomas and
Mary (0’Connor) Kenny, both from County Galway, Ire-
land, where they were married. Coming to the United
States in 1847, they first established their home at Cum-
berland, Maryland, but later leaving that city for Preston
County, West Virginia, making the trip by stage. On the
present site of Newburg they bought an acre of ground,
as they had learned the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, then
in process of construction, was to have a station at that
point, and realizing that the investment was likely to be

Thomas Kenny was a member of the surveying party,
and carried the surveyor’s chain almost the whole way
from Cumberland to Grafton in the work of locating the
line of the road. When the location work was completed
he was employed by one of the contractors on the construc-
tion work, Jacob Humbard, and was connected with the ac-
tual building of the road as far west as Grafton. He then
wont with the track department of the road, and continued
with it until his death, which occurred in 1867, his widow
surviving him until 1886, when she died at the age of sev-
enty-eight years, and both are interred in the Grafton Cem-

The children born to Thomas Kenny and his wife were
as follows: John, Timothy, Mary, Patrick, Julia, Tom
Francis and Michael. Of these children John Kenny spent
his life at Grafton and was track superintendent of the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and died in that city. Timothy
entered the railroad service and was a conductor on the
Third Division of the Baltimore & Ohio until 1866, when
he left the railroad, and, coming to Piedmont, built the
Kenny House, which still bears his name. This became one
of the most famous hostelries along the road, and he con-
ducted it until he reached an advanced age, when he re-
tired, and he died at Baltimore, Maryland, at the home of
his son, Rev. Father T. B. Kenny, of that city, and is buried
in Maryland. Mary never married, but spent the greater
part of her life at the Kenny House with her brother Tim-
othy. She died at Piedmont, and is buried in the cemetery
by the side of her parents. Patrick was also a railroad
man, and for about forty years was a conductor with the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and then retired from its serv-
ice. He died in 1916, and he, too, is buried at Grafton.
Michael was killed in the shaft explosion at Newburg in
1889, while engaged in coal mining. Patrick was a team-
ster during the war of the ’60s, for the Federal Govern-
ment, and John was assistant to the roadmaster of the Balti-
more & Ohio Railroad, having charge of the reconstruction
of bridges from the Ohio River to Martinsburg, destroyed
by the Confederate forces. Julia, the younger daughter,
married James Talbott, a resident of Mononga, West Vir-

Tom F. Kenny spent his boyhood and youth at Newburg,
and there received his preliminary education, his boyhood
friends being the Crogan lads, one of whom has since be-
come a distinguished lawyer of Kingwood, Preston County.
The year his father died Tom F. Kenny came to Piedmont,
and while completing his education lived with his brother
at the Kenny House. Beginning his business career, he
conducted a news stand, corner of Second Street and Childs
Avenue, and occupied that spot for eighteen years, acquir-
ing there his start in life. In 1893 he sold this business
and was appointed postmaster by President Cleveland, suc-
ceeding William B. Heskett in that office, in which he con-
tinued until 1898, when he was succeeded by the republican

Upon leaving the postoffice Mr. Kenny embarked in the
life and fire insurance business, in which he has since con-
tinued, and he represents many of the most reliable com-
panies, including the Hartford, the Home of New York,
the Continental, the Royal, the Commercial Union, the Na-
tional Union, the Atlas Assurance, and the Camden Fire In-
surance Company. He also represents the United States
Fidelity and Guaranty Company of Baltimore. Of late
years he has confined his operations to the fire insurance
and bonding business.

Before he was appointed postmaster Mr. Kenny had made
his influence felt in democratic circles, and during a period
of thirty years he was a delegate to the state and congres-
sional conventions, and was a member of the one which,
after a siege of four days, nominated Governor Wilson.
He also gave his support to William L. Wilson for Con-
gress. The latter was nominated the first time at Pied-
mont by Col. John T. McGraw, of Grafton, in one of his
first public speeches. In the democratic contest for presi-
dent in 1912 Mr. Kenny was a supporter of the late Champ
dark, and did his best to nominate his candidate, but after
Woodrow Wilson became his party’s candidate he loyally
supported him. In fact, Mr. Kenny has always been the
advocate of the scholar in politics. He says, “If democracy
was run in its purity as handed down to us by the framers
of the constitution, we would have different conditions in
our country now.” He is a Roman Catholic in his religious

Tom F. Kenny married at Newburg, West Virginia, Jan-
uary 17, 1881, Catherine D. Daily, a daughter of Dennis
and Anna (McArthur) Daily, natives of Scotland, who lo-
cated at Newburg about 1854, and Mrs. Kenny was born
in that village June 8, 1855. There were seven daughters
in the family of her parents, namely: Mrs. M. A. Moran,
Mrs. Elizabeth Kenny, wife of Patrick Kenny, Mrs. Mar-
garet Doonan, Mrs. Tom F. Kenny, Mrs. Esther Barrett,
Mrs. Isabel Templeton and Miss Bridget Daily.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Tom F. Kenny were
as follows: T. Daily Kenny, who is assistant to President
William B. Cornwell on the Winchester & Western Bail-
road, with hearquarters and residence at Winchester, Vir-
ginia; Stanley A., who is assistant auditor in the revenue
department of the Federal Government, with headquarters
at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; John Sheridan, who repre-
sents the American Can Company of Chicago at Cumber-
land, Maryland; and Ada Maria, who is a stenographer in
the Department of the Interior, Washington, District of
Columbia, where she has been since the beginning of the
World war.

Stanley A. and John Sheridan Kenny volunteered for
service during the World war. John Sheridan Kenny was
the first to enlist from Piedmont, and was in the Second
West Virginia Infantry. He was trained at Camp Hum-
phreys, mobilizing first in Fairmont, and went overseas
from Humphreys. He was sergeant of his company and
was made purchasing agent for the camp while in France.
After the signing of the armistice he was returned home
without injury, and returned to civil life. Stanley A.
Kenny went overseas after his brother, and was sergeant-
major of his company, but did not get to the front before
the signing of the armistice. He was returned home in 1919.
also without injury. Taking the internal revenue depart-
ment examination, he entered its service, where he has since

Kreider H. Stover

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
December 5, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg 94

Hon. Kreider H. Stover. As a young man from college Kreider H. Stover took
up railroading. He left that after a few years and was in the wholesale
lumber business, becoming one of the very influential men in this industry in
West Virginia. But the call of the railroad service was strong and clear,
and for the past twelve years his energies have been definitely committed to
railroad work. He is now Baltimore & Ohio agent at Keyser.

Mr. Stover was born at Coburn, Pennsylvania, July 12, 1873. His people were
an old family of Pennsylvania, and for a number of years lived in Bucks
County. His grandfather, Jacob Stover, was a native of that state, and only
son and was killed in early life in an explosion while on public road
building. George W. Stover, father of Kreider H., spent his life on his farm
at Coburn, where he died in 1887, at the age of sixty-one. His wife was Malin
da A. Kreider, who was born in 1828 and died in 1912. Her father, Philip
Kreider, was a hotel man at Lebanon, Pennsylvania, and died in early life.
The children of George W. Stover and wife were: Perry H., of Elkins, West
Virginia; Elmira, wife of Thomas B. Motz, of Millheim, Pennsylvania; Calvin
J., who died at Coburn, survived by his widow, Olivia J., and two sons,
George S. and Guy Z. Stover, and the daughter, Myra, wife of Robert Breon of
State College, Pennsylvania; Oscar, who died in infancy; and Kreider H.

Kreider H. Stover lived on his father’s farm the first fourteen years of his
life. He then spent two years in Palatinate College, and in 1890, at the age
of seventeen, became an office employe of A. Pardee & Company at Pardee,
Pennsylvania, and in 1893 was promoted to superintendent. Soon afterward he
resigned to complete his education in Franklin-Marshall College at Lancaster,
Pennsylvania, and left that institution in his junior year, in 1896. At that
date he began railroading with the Pennsylvania Railway Company, and served
until 1900, in different capacities.

Mr. Stover came to West Virginia in 1900 and became manager of the Hosterman
Lumber Company at Hosterman in Pocahontas County. He was there until 1904,
when he moved to Elkins and engaged in the wholesale lumber business under
the name Stover Lumber Company. While there he founded and for four years
published the West Virginia Lumberman and National wholesaler. From 1904 to
1908 he was also president of the West Virginia Sawmill association.

Mr. Stover resumed railroading as joint agent at Roaring Creek Junction for
the Western Maryland Railway Company. He was in the service of that railroad
for ten years, performing the duties of operator, agent and yardmaster at
Ridgely, Hendricks, Henry, Elkins and West Virginia Central Junction. He
resigned from the Western Maryland in 1920, and in September of that year
accepted the agency of the Baltimore & Ohio at Keyser, as successor to Agent
Terrell, who is now warden of the West Virginia Penitentiary at Moundsville.

For a number of years Mr. Stover has been one of the moulders of political
thought and legislation in West Virginia. He cast his first vote for Major
McKinley in 1896, and was a delegate to the Republican County Convention in
Pocahontas County in 1902. For a number of years he has been regarded as a
conservative labor man, and for six years he was general chairman of the
Order of Railroad Telegraphers. The public service that particularly
distinguishes him came in the House of delegates, to which he was elected in
1918 as a representative of Mineral County, succeeding Newton Moore. His
service was under Speaker Luther Wolf. In the regular session of 1919 he was
made chairman of the labor committee, and was a member of the railroad,
printing and contingent expenses committee. Some of the important
legislation of that session bears the impress of his work and influence as
chairman of the labor committee. Two bills came out of that committee, both
of which he introduced. One was Bill No. 50, increasing the powers of labor.
Another bill that became a law was the West Virginia Child Labor Law. He
also actively supported the ratification of the eighteenth and nineteenth
amendments, providing for federal prohibition and woman suffrage. He was
opposed to the creation of a state constabulary, his ground of opposition
being that his constituents in Mineral County did not need such a police
force. Mr. Stover made an unusual record of useful service during his one
tern in the Legislature. In 1920 he was candidate for the republican
nomination for congressman of the Second West Virginia District. In 1922 he
is again a candidate for Congress.

In 1898 he joined the lodge of Masons at Center Hall, Pennsylvania, is
affiliated with the Royal Arch Chapter of Ronceverte, the Knights Templar
Commandery of Lewisburg and the Shrine at Charleston. He is affiliated with
Olive Branch Lodge No. 25, Knights of Pythias, at Keyser. He was reared in
the Reformed Church of America.

At Coburn, Pennsylvania, September 28, 1898, Mr. Stover married Bertha J.
Young, daughter of William and Mary (Kurtz) Young. Her oldest sister is Mrs.
T. G. Hosterman, of Akron, Ohio. The mother of Mrs. Stover is now Mrs. Mary
Weiser and lives with her daughter at Keyser. Mr and Mrs. Stover have no
children of their own, but have an adopted son, Allen Graham Stover.

William Macdonald

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Vivian Brinker
January 13, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II.
pg. 181

WILLIAM MACDONALD. One of the distinguished members of the legal
profession practicing at the bar of Mineral County is William
MacDonald, of Keyser, who fully lives up to the highest ideals of
his calling in both professional and private life. He is one of
those who early found the work for which he was best fitted, and
his practice before state and federal courts of West Virginia and
her neighboring sister commonwealths has been effective in
establishing his ability to litigate in all cases with marked

William MacDonald was not born in the United States, but under a
flag representing freedom and democracy, as he came into the world
at Stellarton, Nova Scotia, Canada, October 19, 1865. His father
had emigrated to Nova Scotia at the commencement of his career
from Dunbartonshire, Scotland, and there was actively engaged as
an official in extensive coal-mining operations. He was a Norman
MacDonald, and was born at Netherton, Scotland, June 15, 1836. He
was reared amid the environment of farm life, and was but sparingly
educated, yet sufficiently for his needs through life. When but a
youth he entered the mines located near his birthplace, and in them
acquired the experience which made him an expert miner and equipped
him for superintending mines in which work he was engaged in both
Canada and the United States.

It was after locating at Stellarton that Norman MacDonald made the
acquaintance of Elizabeth Wilson, who became his wife. She was also
of Scotch birth, and died at Harrisburg, Illinois, when their son
William MacDonald was nine years old, in 1874. Mr. MacDonald took
an important part in the operations in the Illinois coal field until
December, 1874, moving then to Maryland and establishing his home at
Lonaconing, where he continued his connection with mining until 1882,
when he crossed the Potomac River into West Virginia and settling
permanently in Mineral County. There he was engaged in superintending
mining operations until his retirement. His death occurred at Keyser,
May 19, 1908. Four children were born to him and his wife, namely:
William, whose name heads this review; Mrs. Isabella Grimes, who
resides in Mineral County; James Wilson, who died a few years ago; and
one who died young.

William MacDonald has lived in West Virginia since August, 1882. He
did not profit much from his attendance at the public schools, because
he went with his father into the mines before he reached his eleventh
year, and worked in and about coal diggings until in September, 1893,
when he began to carry out a long-cherished ambition to prepare himself
for the profession of the law, and during that month entered the
University of West Virginia. He had read borrowed text-books on law
for a year and a half before he entered the university, and had
accomplished considerable without a coach or guide to aid him in
mastering any of the many intricascies of the science. However, such
was his perseverance and natural ability, and as he was well-read and
grounded in the rudiments of the law when he commenced his course, he
was able to carry on his work creditably in the classroom, finishing
the prescribed course of two years in one year and graduating in
June, 1894, tenth in a class of twenty-three, amoung whom were Clark
W. May, later attorney general of West Virginia, Judge J.C. McWhorter,
Judge Warren B. Kittle, of Philippi, West Virginia, and others who
have since become attorneys of note in the several communities in
which they located.

Mr. MacDonald was admitted to practice at Keyser, September 4, 1894,
and on October 8th, following, he established himself in this city
and began the practice of a profession which has brought him
conspicuously before the public in several states as an able advocate
at the bar. His first law suit was tried on the present site of his
law office, in a justice court, and he began his practice in the
office of the late William C. Clayton, one of the most distinguished
lawyers of West Virginia. He has always practice alone, and for a
score of years has taken part as counsel on one side or the other of
of the more important, first-class litigation in Mineral County. In
addition to a large local practice Mr. MacDonald has had cases in the
state courts of Maryland and Virginia, the Federal Court at Baltimore,
Maryland, and the State and Federal Courts of West Virginia.

In politics Mr. MacDonald is a well known democrat, and commenced his
record as a voter in 1888, when he supported Grover Cleveland for the
presidency of the United States, and he has stoutly maintained his
loyalty to his party ever since. He has responded to the call of his
party to bear some of the the burden and expense of campaign work,
and was a member of the Second Congressional District Democratic
Committee, and treasurer of the campaign of Col. Thomas B. Davis when
the latter was sent to Congress from the Second District. He was
chairman of the Mineral County Prohibition Committee when the
constitutional amendment for national prohibition was submitted to the
voters, and rejoiced in the positive victory that was given the
amendment by the ballots cast by Mineral County citizens. Mr. MacDonald
was city attorney of Keyser for a number of years and served as a
member of the school board when the present high school building was

William MacDonald married at Keyser, West Virginia, November 20, 1900,
Miss Nancy J. Lauck, a daughter of Joseph B. Lauck, and aunt of Hon.
W. Jett Lauck, a leading labor statistician and a scholarly man of
Washington, D.C., appointed on important commissions by President
Wilson during the World war, and an authority on labor problems. Mrs.
MacDonald was born at Huntington, West Virginia, but grew to womanhood
at Keyser, where her father spent many years. Mr. and Mrs. MacDonald
became the parents of the following children: Kenneth, who died
May 25, 1917, on his twelfth birthday; and Janet, who is a student in
the Keyser High School.

During the late war William MacDonald served as one of the zealous
supporters of the administration policies. he took part as one of the
“Four-Minute” speakers in the campaigns in behalf of all of the drives;
assisted many of the drafted men in filling out their questionaires,
and was a member of the Interstate Young Men’s Christian Association
Committee, and as such had the approval on the expenditures of all
monies for educational purposes by that organization in West Virginia
after the close of the war, and is still a member of that committee.
While the above were the chief duties he so cheerfully performed, he
was identified with many others, and did not shirk any responsibility,
no matter what personal sacrifice might be entailed. His relation to
the church is that of his membership with the Presbyterian congregation
at Keyser, and he has had a voice in its spiritual leadership as an
elder for some years, and in its finances as treasurer for nineteen
years. For seventeen years he has been secretary of its Sabbath
school, and has been its superintendant for some years.

William C. Pifer

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
April 13, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 408-409

WILLIAM C. PIFER, one of the substantial business men of
Keyser, and ex-mayor of the city, comes of one of the old-
established families of the country, the American founder
of it having settled in Virginia while it was still a colony
of England, and from him have sprung a numerous progeny.
Those bearing the name of Pifer are to be found in many
states of the Union, and wherever they are located they
are numbered among the solid and representative people
of their neighborhood. The majority of the Pifers have
been farmers, but others have succeeded in business, and
a few have adopted teaching as their life work. It is some-
what unusual that none of them have entered the ministry,
the law or the medical profession.

The birth of William C. Pifer occurred at Stephens
City, Frederick County, Virginia, in the neighborhood of
Winchester, July 3, 1878, and he is a son of Randolph and
Mary Catherine (Cooper) Pifer, both of whom were born
in Frederick County, Virginia, and their lives were spent
principally on a farm. When war broke out between the
North and the South, Randolph Pifer, as did the majority
in his community, cast his lot with the Confederacy, and
enlisted in Company A, First Virginia Cavalry, was made
captain of his company, and served until the very close
of the war, being one of the 8,000 soldiers still following
General Lee at Appomattox, in April, 1865. He saw much
hard fighting, was twice wounded, a musket ball passing
through his body just under the heart, but he recovered.
With the declaration of peace he tried to accept the results
philosophically and to forget the past. In fact he had but
little personal feeling against those whom the chances of
war had made his enemies, and upon one occasion it is
stated that he accepted an invitation from the Federal
forces across the Potomac River, at Harper’s Ferry, and
took dinner with the “Boys in Blue.” With his old com-
rades of “the lost cause” he fraternized after the war,
and enjoyed the reunions heartily.

With characteristic energy and determination Randolph
Pifer became a public servant of Frederick County after
the war, and was county assessor for one term and county
treasurer for four terms, to which offices he was elected on
the democratic ticket. He was of German stock, his father
having been John William Pifer, whose father was born in
Germany, but left his native land for America in young
manhood. John William Pifer married a member of the
Richards family. Randolph Pifer was one of six children,
the four sons of which were: Randolph, Stanley, Cyrus
and Clarence, but Randolph was the only one of them who
served in the army. The two daughters were Laura and
Harriet, the former of whom married Neal Snapp, and the
latter, Josiah Rinker.

Until he was twenty-three years of age William C. Pifer
remained on his father’s farm, during which time he made
himself useful and secured a country-school education, and
for the last two years of the time was engaged in teaching
in his home district. Abandoning the educational field, Mr.
Pifer went with the wholesale firm of Naylor, Shyrock &
Company, of Front Royal, Virginia, as office man and book-
keeper for one year, leaving this concern to become a trav-
eling salesman for the Birdsell Wagon Company of South
Bend, Indiana. He worked out of Kansas City, Missouri,
covering territory embracing Kansas, Oklahoma and Indian
Territory, but after two years located permanently at Key-
ser, where he embarked in business.

At the beginning of his connection with West Virginia
Mr. Pifer opened for business with a stock of pianos
and music merchandise, with a very small captal. At first
he traveled with a wagon through this region selling instru-
ments, and as fast as he sold one, used the money to pur-
chase another, and in this way secured enough money to
open his store. Beginning thus in a very small way, he
has gradually expanded, and now has one of the most mod-
ern and well-stocked establishments of its kind in this part
of the state. As the demand was created he added the
Victor talking machine when the phonograph industry was
in its infancy, and later the Brunswick Phonograph, and
also carries both the Victor and Brunswick records for the

In 1915 Mr. Pifer was elected as mayor of Keyser to
succeed Mayor F. H. Babb, and was twice re-elected, serv-
ing in all six years. As he was the incumbent of the office
during the war period he was kept very busy, and made a
record which does him and his community great credit. It
was during his administration that the city purchased its
modern fire truck. The south side of Keyser was sewered,
and the water mains extended through that portion. All of
the public improvements were paid for by a bond issue,
and when Mayor Pifer turned the office over to his suc-
cessor the latter found affairs in an admirable financial
condition. In politics he is a democrat, and has always
been active in party affairs. Fraternally he belongs to
Front Royal Lodge, A. F. and A. M.

Mr. Pifer married at Keyser Miss Maude May Chrisman,
a daughter of John W. and Emma (Nixon) Chrisman. Mrs.
Pifer was born at Keyser, and educated in its public schools.
Mr. Chrisman came to Keyser from Virginia as an employe
of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company, which he is
now serving as a conductor. He is one of the old employes
of the road, having begun his connection with it as fireman,
when wood was used for firing purposes. Mr. and Mrs.
Pifer have the following children: Robert Arnold, Isabel,
Geraldine, Kenneth, William and Marjorie. Mr. Pifer is
an excellent example of the self-reliant man who has risen
through his own efforts. There was no powerful influence
or great wealth back of him when he located at Keyser, bnt
he did possess determination to succeed, a willingness to
work and a knowledge of his business, and these qualities,
combined with his cheerful service and pleasing manner,
have firmly established him in the confidence of the public
and won for him a valuable trade. During the time he was
the city’s chief executive he made many personal sacrifices,
especially daring the war, and left nothing undone which
he thought would advance his community and add to its
prestige. That he succeeded the many public improvements
and flourishing conditions generally, amply demonstrate.

Samuel Newton Moore

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770



MOORE, SAMUEL NEWTON. (Republican.) Ad-
dress: Keyser, West Va. Representative from the county
of Mineral. Born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, July
10, 1863; educated in the common schools; resides in
the town of Keyser and is President and Manager of the
Potomac Milling & Feed Company; has served three
terms as a member of the Council of Keyser and is now
serving his second term as a member of the Board of
Review and Equalization of Mineral county; elected to
the House of Delegates in 1914; re-elected in 1916;
served during the 1917 sessions on the following com-
mittees: Insurance, Arts, Science and General Improve-
ments and Penitentiary.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Thomas W. Gocke

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
January 30, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 80

Thomas W. Gocke, one of the substantial business men of Piedmont, has been
identified with the history of Mineral County for a quarter of a century, and
is the representative in this region of the J.C. Orrick & Son Company. He was
born at Howesville, Preston County, West Virginia, May 13, 1864, a son of John
J. and Catherine (Wesling) Gocke, natives of the province of Brandenburg,
Germany, who were married in the United States, to which the father had come in
1840. He first lived at Cumberland, Maryland, and later at Tunnelton, West
Virginia, being there until after the completion of the first tunnel. Soon
afterward he bought a farm at Howesville, and continued to conduct it until
his death in 1892, when he was sixty-eight years old. He was married after
coming to Preston County, and the mother survived him until 1910, when she
passed away at Clarksburg, West Virginia, aged eighty-seven year. They had
thirteen children, eight of whom grew up, were married and reared families, but
only four are now living, the being: Thomas W., whose name heads this review;
James B., who is a resident of Los Angelos, California; Vincent E., who is a
resident of Clarksburg, West Virginia; and Emma S., who is the wife of John
E. Mattingly, of Cincinnati, Ohio.

Growing up on his father’s farm, Thomas Gocke attended the local schools and
learned habits of industy and thrift from his watchful parents. Taking upon
himself the responsibilities of manhood, he went to Cumberland, Maryland, and
became a salesman for the J.C. Orrick & son company, and has remained with this
corporation ever since. While at Cumberland Mr. Gocke covered a territory
including Preston and Mineral counties, West Virginia, and Garrett County,
Maryland, but in 1900 was transferred to Piedmont, Keyser and Georges Creed
districts. Investing in the stock of his company, he now is one of the large
stockholders and a member of its board of directors.

The J.C. Orrick & Son Company, one of the most reliable concerns in the East,
was established in 1863, at Cumberland, Maryland, by J.C. Orrick, who remained
at its head during the remainder of his active life, and saw it develop from a
small wholesale house to a corporation with many branches, doing a
business of $1,000,000 annually. For a time a branch house was maintained at
Grafton, West Virginia, but the business is now done by the Piedmont and
Cumberland houses. The president and general manager of the company is William
Gulland, the Orricks having all passed away.

Mr. Gocke has taken an active part in civic affairs at Piedmont, as he did at
Cumberland, and is very active in politics. Casting his first presidential
vote for Grover Cleveland, he has followed the fortunes of the democratic party
ever since, and has been his party’s delegate upon numerous occasions to the
congressional and state conventions, and was particularly zealous in the
campaigns of his old boyhood friend, Junior Brown, for Congress, and was his
close advisor during his entire career. On February 22, 1914, Mr. Gocke
recieved a reward to which he was entitled in his appointment as postmaster
of Piedmont, to succeed George T. Goshorn, and was re-appointed after a service
of four years, filling the office until he resigned, August 29, 1921. While
he was postmaster he continued his connection with the Orrick Company, and felt
that the burden was too great for him to continue the responsibilities of both
positions. He has also served as a member of the Piedmont City Council, and was
responsible for the inauguration of the system of sewers. An enthusiastic
advocate of the good roads movement, he was instrumental in securing the issue
of the $100,000 bond fund for the building of permanent roads, and it is a
reconized fact that had he not exerted himself in behalf of this movement it
would not have been successful. Public improvements and the public welfare of
his home city and county have always been of vital moment to him, and he has
always been willing to devote much time and attention to whatever he has
believed would work out for the best of the majority. During the late war his
position as postmaster of Piedmont placed him in the front ranks of the drives
for all purposes, and he exerted himself to the utmost to aid the
admisistration in carrying out its policies. Mr. Gocke is a member of the
Knights of Columbus, of which he has been grand knight, and he has represented
the local concil in the state council, and has held the office of advocate in
the latter body.

On November 20, 1889, Mr. Gocke married at Baltimore, Maryland, Mary F. Kessler,
who was born at Butler, Maryland, a daughter of Peter and Kate (Merryman)
Kessler, natives of Switzerland, and Baltimore, Maryland, respectively. Mrs.
Kessler was a distant relative of Johns Hopkins, founder of the famous
University of Baltimore, Maryland, which bears his name. Mr. and Mrs. Gocke
became the parents of the following children: Dr. William T., who is a
graduate of the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons, is engaged in a
practice of his profession at Clarksburg, West Virginia; Joseph J., who is
connected with the Kenny House at Piedmont; Paul F., who is manager of the above
mentioned hotel; Thomas V., who is a student of Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Mary Catherine, who is attending the Piedmont
High School. The Gockes are all Roman Catholics. Paul and Joseph Gocke
volunteered for service during the World war at the entry of this country into
the conflict, and served in the One Hundred and Seventy-third Engineers. They
were sent overseas, were for five months in France, and for two months with
the Army of Occupation on the Rhine River in Germany. During their period of
service they were hospital attaches, and returned home uninjured. Both are
members of the American Legion. The youngest son, Thomas V., was a S.A.T.C.
student, and was in a training camp in Kentucky, perparing for army life,
when the signing of the armistice put an end to the necessity for further
troops. Like their father, the Gocke sons are admirable men and good citizens,
and valuable additions to any community with which they see fit to connect

Emory Ledrew Tyler

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Vivian Brinker
January 13, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II.
pg. 182

EMORY LEDREW TYLER came from the University of Morgantown with a
diploma as a law graduate some ten years ago, and began his
professional career in Mineral County. He has made an enviable
success, largely due to the two terms he held the office of
prosecuting attorney, and is now engaged in private practice at

Mr. Tyler was born in Doddridge County, West Virginia, March 6, 1885.
His grandfather, John Tyler, came into the western county from the
Valley of Virginia, was a farmer, and married a Miss Powell near
Arthur, West Virginia. Their only child was Conrad Tyler, who was
born after his father’s death and was reared under somewhat adverse
conditions, so that he acquired little education. He was born in
Grant County sixty-five years ago, and farming was his steady
occupation until he retired to Keyser, where he is now living. He
is a member of the Methodist Church. Conrad Tyler married Margaret
Veach, who was born in Grant County, sixty-three years ago, daughter
of John and Margaret (Seymour) Veach. The children of this couple
are: Ura, wife of Benjamin Rotruck; Emory Ledrew; May, who married
Howard Arnold; Homer, of Keyser; Erma, of Keyser; Mansfield of Keyser;
Otis, Winona and Jane, all at home.

While Emory Ledrew Tyler was an infant his parents moved to the
vicinity of Mount Sterling, Ohio, and when he was seven years of age
they returned to West Virginia and located in Grant County near
Maysville, where Emory Ledrew lived until reaching man’s estate.
He attended the common schools, the Keyser Preparatory School, and
at West Virginia University took the literary as well as the law
courses. He graduated in law in the spring of 1912, and a few weeks
later was engaged to try his first case, at Keyser. This case was
the prosecution of a man for pistol toting, but the decision went
against him. Mr. Tyler was elected prosecuting attorney of Mineral
County in 1912, succeeding Arthur Arnold, and was re-elected for a
second term in 1916. During his eight years in office he made a
distinctive record of winning eighty percent of his cases and gave
particular attention to the vigorous prosecution of all violators
of the liquor law. With greatly increased prestige he left office
in the winter of 1920 to turn his experience to account in private
practice. For several years Mr. Tyler was a partner of Charles
Ritchie, now assistant attorney general of West Virginia, in the
firm of Ritchie & Tyler.

Mr. Tyler’s father was independent in politics, while his mother’s
people were republicans, and he chose the republican party as his
own political faith, casting his first vote for William H. Taft.
He was a member of the State Judicial Convention of 1920 at
Wheeling, and is chairman of the Republican Executive Committee of
Mineral County. As prosecuting attorney he made his office an
instrument in upholding the patriotic record of Mineral County
during the World war, assisted in recruiting duty and was government
appeal agent and counsel for the Draft Board. Mr. Tyler is
affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and Modern Woodmen of
America, and the Kappa Alpha College fraternity. He is state
lecturer for the Modern Woodmen. His church is the Methodist

On September 14, 1915, at Baltimore, he married Miss Pearl C.
Compton, who was born at Martinsburg, West Virginia, in December,
1885, daughter of John and Sallie (Buzzard) Compton. She is a
graduate of the high school of her native city, the Cumberland
High School, attended preparatory school at Keyser, and is an
A. B. graduate of West Virginia University and later took post-
graduate work in Johns Hopkins University at Baltimore. Mrs. Tyler
is one of the best educated women in the state, and before her
marriage was a successful teacher of English in the Milton High
School and later in the preparatory school at Montgomery, West
Virginia. She is one of five living children, the others being:
Chester, of Pittsburgh; Ada, connected with the Woman’s Extension
Work in West Virginia University; Eva, in charge of domestic
science in the State Normal School at Fairmont; and Vernon C.,
principal of schools at Berkeley Springs. Mr. and Mrs. Tyler have
two daughters, Ruth Winifred and Janet.

While he has had an active career of only about ten years, Mr.
Tyler has formed some substantial connections with business affairs,
being a stockholder in the First National Bank of Keyser, in the
Marteller Coal Company, is vice president of the Mineral County
Coal Company and the Eastern Coal and Mining Company, is attorney
for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, the Marteller Coal
Company, the Dean Coal Company, and has professional connections
with the First National Bank of Keyser, Edington & Company and
other firms.

Richard A. Welch.

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Vivian Brinker
January 14, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II.
pg. 182

RICHARD A. WELCH. For considerably more than half a century the
name Welch has been one of prominence in the Mineral County bar.
The record is not quite continuous, since Richard A. Welch was
not qualified to begin practice until about a year after the
death of his father, who was one of the ablest lawyers and men of
affairs in Keyser from about the close of the Civil war.

The first American of this name came to this country in the colony
of Lord Baltimore, and for several generations the family lived on
the eastern shore of Maryland. Many states and localities have
families descended from the original one in Eastern Maryland. The
family supplied a number of soldiers to the Revolutionary war, and
the ancestor of the branch of family in Mineral County was in the
struggle for independence. Shortly after the close of that war he
moved to Allegany County, Maryland. John Welch, grandfather of
Richard A. Welch, spent all his life in Allegany County, Maryland,
where he was a “gentleman farmer.”

William M. Welch, the pioneer lawyer of Mineral County, was born in
Allegany County, Maryland, January 10, 1841. He attended the old
Allegany County Academy and read law for a time under Judge Hunter
at Cumberland. He was admitted to practice there in the fall of
1862, but soon afterward left the law to join the army as a Union
man. He was commissioned a captain in the Quartermaster’s
Department, and for a time was stationed at New Creek, now Keyser,
then at Wheeling, and finished his service at Clarksburg. He was
mustered out soon after the surrender of General Lee.

At the close of the war Mr. Welch came into Eastern West Virginia,
about the same time as Judge Francis M. Reynolds, and both located
at Romney, county seat of Hampshire County, which then included
Mineral County, and they were together in practice. When the party
was divided and Mineral created both these young lawyers destined
for great prominence in the future, moved over to Keyser, the new
county seat, and they continued to be associated until 1872. After
that William M. Welch practiced law alone. He became widely known
for his masterful handling of cases at trial, and was undoubtedly
one of the best trial lawyers in Mineral County. His successful
career in this profession continued until his death on September 5,
1898. His name was also well known in democratic politics. For
seven different terms he represented Mineral County in the House of
Delegates and was twice Speaker of the House. He was a delegate to
two national conventions, that of 1876, when Samuel J. Tilden was
named for President, and that of 1884, when Grover Cleveland was
nominated. He was useful to his party and to his friends in a
number of campaigns, but had no ambition for more of the political
honors that were given him. He was not a member of any church, but
was a Master Mason.

William M. Welch married Virginia Adams, who was born at Clarksburg,
on the same day of the month and the same year as her husband. She
is now living at Keyser. Her parents were Josiah and Hannah (Moore)
Adams. The Adamses were a Massachusetts family and the Moores came
from Delaware. Josiah Adams settled at Clarksburg and secured a
patent from Virginia for from 26,000 to 28,000 acres. He was one of
the prominent farmers and land owners of that section. The Moore
family came into that region about the same time. William M. Welch
and wife had the following children: Mrs. T.P Smith, of Parkersburg;
Mrs. Louise B. Martine, of Chicago; Mrs. Ida V. Rathbone, of
Parkersburg; W.A., of Keyser; Richard A.; and Ralph P., of Holdenville,

Richard A. Welch was born at Keyser, April 17, 1878, and during his
boyhood and youth he profited from the public schools, and after
finishing high school took his academic work in the University of
Virginia. He left there at the end of his junior year and enrolled in
the law department of West Virginia, where he graduated LL. B. in 1899.
He at once returned to Keyser and began practice, and a considerable
part of his father’s law business drifted to him. He has continued
his professional work alone, and always in general practice. The law
has abundantly satisfied him and he has permitted himself no diversion
into the field of politics for the sake of office. However, he has
done considerable campaign work as a democrat, and until state
conventions were abolished he was one of the leaders of his party in
this section of the state. He was a delegate to the Denver National
Convention of 1908, and in 1912 was a member of the West Virginia
delegation pledged to the nomination of Champ Clark at Baltimore,
though personally he was a Woodrow Wilson man, and voted for Wilson
as soon as the West Virginia delegation was released from its
instructions. He also served as a member of the Democratic State
Committee for eight years. While a good and loyal democrat, Mr.
Welch cast his first presidential vote for Swallow, the prohibition
candidate, declining to support the nominee of his own party.

His practical public service has been given to his home town. He
consented to serve seven consecutive terms as mayor. During these
administrations a large amount of paving was done, sewers laid,
concrete walks built, water works installed, and when these
improvements had reached a satisfactory stage he felt that his
obligations to the community had been discharged and he was satisfied
to retire. During the World war he was chairman of the Legal Advisory
Committee for Mineral County, of all of the Liberty Loan drives at
Keyser, and member of the County Council of Defense.

At Martinsburg, West Virginia, August 16, 1911, Mr. Welch married
Miss Mary D. Edwards, a native of Martinsburg. her father, William G.
Edwards, was a business man of that city, and by his marriage to
Miss Roush had three children: William G. Edwards, Jr., of Chicago;
Mrs. Welch, who was born October 5, 1887; and Mrs. Nell Sherpick, of
New York City. Mr. and Mrs. Welch have a family of four young
children: Virginia, Mary, Louise and Richard A., Jr.

Outside of his profession Mr. Welch has been interested in some
business organizations that have contributed to Keyser’s advancement.
he was associated with Doctor Gerstell in the organization of the
Farmers and Merchants Bank, and is a director of and attorney for the
bank. For a time he was a director for the Keyser Electric Light
Company, and for many years was president and director of the Alkire
Orchard Company.

J. Frank Junkins

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
September 24, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 262-263
Mineral County

J. FRANK JUNKINS, chairman of the Board of County
Commissioners of Mineral County, is one of the most pro-
gressive of the agriculturalists of this region. His finely-
improved farm in the Elk District being one of the most
valuable rural properties in this part of West Virginia. He
was born in New Creek District, Mineral County, January
31, 1872,. a son of Ephraim Junkins and grandson of John
Junkins, of Irish descent, who established his home in Mary-
land at an early date, but came to Mineral County in his
latter years, and here died. During many years of his life
he was a school-teacher, and he was a well-educated man.
Twice married, his son Ephraim was born of his second

Ephraim Junkins, it is believed, was born in Maryland,
and following the close of the war of the ’60s he came
to Mineral County. Securing land in Elk District, he de-
voted himself to farming, but was a man of moderate cir-
cumstances, and worked hard to support his family. His
education was a limited one, and he never formed any fra-
ternal connections. During all of his mature years he was
a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and died firm in its faith when fifty-five years of age. In
politics he was a republican, but he did not enter the
contests for public honor.

The mother of J. Frank Junkins was Sarah (Harrison)
Junking, and she was a daughter of Nathan Harrison, and
was born in Mineral County, in 1841. Although now an
aged lady, she survives and is enjoying excellent health.
Her father left Virginia for West Virginia, and he was a
farmer all his life. Two of the brothers of Mrs. Junkins,
Reynolds and William Harrison, served in the Union army,
and received pensions from the Federal Government. They
were farmers of Mineral County, and died without issue.
Mrs. Junkins’ educational advantages were those afforded
the country girl of her generation and locality. She and
her husband became the parents of the following children:
Charles C., who is a farmer of New Creek District; Oliver
R., who is a farmer of Elk District; James Franklin, whose
name heads this review; John, who died when seventeen
years old; and Lucy Virginia, who married Henry Roberts,
a farmer of Welton District.

J. Frank Junkins was reared on his father’s farm and
attended the district schools. After attaining his majority
he began working for neighboring farmers, and continued in
this line until he was thirty. During these nine years he
had but two employers, and his wages ranged from $15 to
$20 per month. In spite of the small amount he received
he was thrifty and saved a considerable amount, having
in mind all the while the purchase of a home of his own.
This he was able to do when he ceased working for others,
acquiring ownership of the farm in Elk District which has
continued to be his home ever since. He has 628 acres of
very productive land, all paid for, on which he is carrying
on grain and stock raising. The original purchase was of
410 acres, but he and his wife have since added 218 acres
to their farm. The improvements made by Mr. Junkins are
many and include the remodeling of the house and the
erection of a barn 30 by 40 feet, with a mowroom for forty
tons or more of hay. His buildings are kept in fine repair,
his fences are good, and he has improved machinery and
appliances for doing his farm work. His stock shows the
effects of breeding up to a high standard of grades, of
which the Durham strain is his preference because of the
milk-producing qualities. Mr. Junkins has gone into sheep-
raising quite extensively, keeping to the Shropshire strain,
and he has found this the most profitable of his industries,
for sheep require less for upkeep and make two cash returns
each year. His profits from his sheep have played an
important part in his success as an agriculturalist. In
addition to his farm and stock interests Mr. Junkins was a
stockholder in the Siever Hardware Company of Keyser,
which business was wiped out in the disastrous fire in that
city in February, 1922.

Mr. Junkins is one of the most prominent republicans in
this part of the state, and cast his maiden presidential
vote for Major McKinley in 1896, since which time he has
remained faithful to his party’s candidates. Hia personal
success commended him for public service, and he was
strongly urged for some time to become a candidate for
county commissioner. Responding to these appeals, he
entered the race in 1916, defeated his five competitors for
the nomination, and won the election over the democratic
candidate by the normal republican majority. Sworn in as
commissioner in January, 1917, as the successor of J. R.
Bane, for the first two years he served on the board with
Alfred Ridgely and George Klenke. During the next two
years George T. Carskadon took Mr. Klenke’s place, and
the last two years Aaron Thrush took Mr. Ridgely’s place.
The most important work accomplished by the board during
Mr. Junkins’ term of office have been the building of the
New Creek “drive,” the Keyser-Piedmont Road, eight
miles of road grade from Blaine to the Northwestern Turn-
pike, and nearly six miles of grade from Ridgely toward
Patterson’s Creek.

Mr. Junkins married Miss Eliza Virginia Dixon, a daugh-
ter of Joseph and Amy (Bragg) Dixon. Joseph Dixon was
born in Pennsylvania, but following the close of the war
of the ’60s he came to West Virginia as a school-teacher,
and here met and married Amy Bragg. They spent the
remainder of their lives on their farm in Mineral County.
Mrs. Dixon was noted for her good spelling, and was a
school-teacher prior to her marriage. Spelling was one of
the branches in which she specialized, and was not satisfied
until she thoroughly grounded her pupils in it. Mr. Dixon
died in 1901, but she is still living, although over eighty
years of age. She and her husband had three children who
reached maturity, two of whom are now living, namely:
Albert C. Dixon, who lives in the Elk District; and Mrs.
Junkins, who was born April 7, 1875. Mr. and Mrs.
Junkins have a son, Albert Dixon, who was born April 7,
1901. He graduated from the Elk District High School,
and is now a farmer. There are two children, Bessie and
G. Richard, born of his marriage with Myrtle Dixon.

While J. Frank Junkins is not identified with any re-
ligious organization, he is a believer in the effectiveness of
the work of the Protestant churches, and is a liberal sup-
porter of all the denominations in his neighborhood, espe-
cially of the Methodist Episcopal, as Mrs. Junkins was
reared in its faith and is now a member of the local church.
Mr. Junkins’s success is but the natural outcome of his
industry, thrift and good management. He early learned
the value of money and how to invest it so as to yield a
profit. While he has been steadily adding to his material
prosperity, however, as the years have passed he has not
failed to also win the approval and gain the respect of his
neighbors, and is today recognized as one of the most repre-
sentative men of the county.

Joseph W. Stayman

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
“John “Bill” Wheeler”
December 6, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historic Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume ll.,
pg. 111-112

Joseph W. Stayman. The president of the Potomac State School at Keyser is
Joseph W. Stayman, who for more than a quarter of a century has been actively
associated with the educational interests in West Virginia. The first year he
was in the state he taught a country school, but for the greater part of the
twenty years his work has been at Keyser, either in the city schools or what is
now the State College.
Mr. Stayman was born at Carlise, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. His
parents were Joseph B. and Mary A. (Shelley) Stayman, the latter a daughter od
Daniel Shelley. Joseph B. Stayman was born in Cumberland County on a farm,
secured a college education in Dickinson College, and began his business career
as a forwarder, with headquarters at Mechanicsburg. He was in that business
until late in life, then retiring, and he lived for some years at Carlisle where
he died in 1898. During the Civil War he was a Union Soldier as a private in a
company commanded by his father. This company saw its chief duty within the
state, but had some more serious service during the Confederate invasion which
terminated in the battle of Gettysburg. The widow of Joseph B. Stayman died in
July, 1914. They reared four children: Daniel, of New York City; William, of
Pottsville, Pennsylvania; Mrs. Garrett Stevens, of Cleveland, Ohio; and Joseph
Joseph W. Stayman lived until he was sixteen with his maternal grandparents
near Harrisburg. he was among country people of Pennsylvania Dutch stock and
had some excellent intellectual influences. His grandfather, Daniel Shelley,
was a well know educator and was the first county superintendent of Cumberland
County schools and established the Normal School at Newville, an institution
since moved to Shippenburg. After teaching for a number of years, Daniel
Shelley entered the service of the Cumberland Valley Railroad Company, and was
in that work until he finally retired. Joseph W. Stayman attended school at
Shiremanstown, Pennsylvania, where his grandparents lived, graduated in 1890
from the Dickinson Preparatory School at Carlisle, and in the same fall entered
upon his regular collegiate work in Dickinson College, where he received his
Bachelor’s degree in 1894. Dickinson College gave him the Master od Arts degree
in 1897, and during his individual career as an educator he has taken
post-graduate work in the University of Chicago, in Columbia University of New
York, and has recently completed the work leading up to the Doctor’s degree in
Pitt University in Pittsburgh.
In 1896, soon after leaving college, a matter of business brought him to
West Virginia, and while here he accepted a proposition to teach a county
school at the mouth of Geeenland Gap in Grant County. He taught there one term,
the following year he was principal of the three room school at Moorefield, and
in 1899 came to Keyser to teach the ninth grade in the local schools. After a
year he was called to Terra Alta as principal of the town schools, where he
remained three years. Since then his work has been in Keyser, where for nine
years he was superintendent of the city schools, and resigned that office to
become principal of what was then known as the Keyser Preparatory Branch of the
West Virginia University. By act of the Legislature in 1921 the name of the
institution was changed to the Potomac State School, with Mr. Stayman as its
first president.
He has completed ten years of work as head of this institution. From a
secondary school designed as a feeder to the State University, it is now rapidly
building up to the status of a Junior college. The school suffered a great
handicap in 1917 by the loss of its building by fire. Since then a second year
of college work has been added to the curriculum, and graduates from the school
are entitled to enter the junior college class of any standard college or
university in the United States. The teaching force has been improved both in
number and in qualifications, and in the way of equipment Mr. Stayman has
witnessed the building of two dormitories, the acquisition of a farm where
vocational education is taught and the institution of vocational departments,
home economics and commerce.
During his many years of residence at Keyser Mr. Stayman has acquired some
substantial business interests, and his enthusiasm is especially directed in
the line of fruit growing. he first acquired an interest in the alkire orchard,
and in association with four others purchased that property, now known as the
Potomac State Orchard, one of the large orchards in this section of the state.
There are 15,000 apple trees of bearing age in condition, and under the new
management of the property has been greatly improved. Mr. Stayman is also a
director of and had a part in the organization of the Potomac farm and Orchard
Association, doing a general fruit packing and sales business at Keyser. Plans
are now being formulated for the construction of a by-product plant for using
the lower grade fruit and converting it into food products.
Mr. Stayman took the initiative and was made chairman of the organizing
committee of the Keyser Rotary Club in 1921. In Masonry he served three years
as Master of Davis Lodge No. 51, A.F.& A.M., was for twelve years secretary of
Keyser Chapter, R.A.M.., has been captain general of Damascus Commandery,
Knight Templar, and is a member of Osiris Temple of the Mystic Shrine in
Wheeling. He is a republican, and is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, serving fifteen years on its board of stewards.
At Keyser, November 19, 1941, he married Miss Margaret Liller, daughter of
William A. and Martha (Kalbaugh) Liller. Her father was a contractor and
builder who spent most of his life in the eastern part of the state. Mrs.
Stayman was born at Keyser, is a graduate of the local public schools and the
Keyser Preparatory School’s music department and completed her musical education
in National Park Seminary at Washington. She has been a teacher of music in
Keyser and is active in music circles. The only son of Doctor and Mrs. Stayman
is Joseph Webster Jr., born in 1915 and one daughter, Martha Shelley, born in