Category Archives: Mercer

William Putnam Hawley

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 725

HAWLEY, WILLIAM PUTNAM. (Republican.) Ad-
dress: Bluefield, West Va. Born July 22, 1868, in Raleigh
county; educated in the common schools and at the State
Normal School at Athens; occupation, merchant, banker,
manager of a telephone company, and farmer; served as
Superintendent of Schools and Sheriff of Mercer county;
also, as Chief of Police of Bluefield, and member of City
Council for ten years; member of House of Delegates in
1909-11-13; elected to the Senate from the Seventh Dis-
trict in 1914; assigned to committees as follows in 1917:
Finance (Chairman); Banks and Corporations, Penitentiary,
Medicine and Sanitation, Claims and Grievances, Public
Printing, Public Library, Virginia Debt.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

William J. Cole

MERCER COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 14, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 156

WILLIAM J. COLE has standardized, systematized and put on a commercial basis one
of the oldest arts known to mankind, that of baking bread, and in the Bluefield
Bakery, of which he is proprietor, has one of the largest plants of its kind in
West Virginia, capable of producing the staff of life for many thousands of
people every day.

Mr. Cole was born at Marion in Smith County, Virginia, November 12, 1883, son of
L. C. and Elizabeth (Wolf) Cole. The Coles have been in Virginia for a number of
generations. His grandfather, William Cole, was a Confederate soldier in the
Civil war.

William J. Cole acquired a common school education at Marion and Graham in his
native state, and at the age of seventeen began learning the baker’s trade with
the Virginia Confectionery Company at Graham. He remained there two years, and
then entered the mercantile business for himself. He conducted this business
successfully for about nine years, finally selling out in 1911.

In Was in 1912 that Mr. Cole bought the Bluefield Bakery, and since then has
given his entire time and attention to developing the plant and business. He
has installed automatic machinery throughout, and the plant now has a capacity
of producing 3,000 loaves of bread per hour or 48,000 in a full day’s run. The
Bluefield Bakery was originally started in 1900 by M. Stean, who was succeeded
by Captain Barger and from him Mr. Cole bought the business.

Mr. Cole married in 1905, at Graham, Virginia, Miss Mary Holbrook, daughter of
John and Marie Holbrook natives of Virginia. Her father was one of the leading
merchants and citizens of Graham. Mr. and Mrs. Cole had six children, William
Paul, Elizabeth, Holbrook, Carlyle, Kenneth and William J., Jr. William J., Jr.,
died in 1920. Mr. Cole and family are members of the Lutheran Church. He is a
Knight Templar and Royal Arch Mason Shriner, a member of the United Commercial
Travelers the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club and the Bluefield Country Club.
He has been in business and earning his own way since he was seventeen, and all
his prosperity has been gained by hard work and close adherence to the
fundamental principles of sound business.

A. F. Wysong

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

752

WYSONG, A. F. (Republican.) Address: Princeton,
West Va. One of the members of the Legislature from
Mercer county. Born January 13, 1881, at Newport,
Virginia; educated in the public schools of Giles county,
Virginia, and in the schools of Dayton, Ohio; received his
professional education-that of an architect-at Dayton;
is engaged in general architectural work at Princeton;
elected as a member of the House of Delegates in 1916;
he received the following committee assignments during
the sessions of 1917: Taxation and Finance, Medicine and
Sanitation, Game and Fish.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Charles M. Scott

MERCER COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 14, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 155

CHARLES M. SCOTT, M. D., began practice at Bluefield twenty years ago. During
the last ten years his time and skill have been predominently devoted to
surgery. His rank as a surgeon is among the best in the entire state.

Doctor Scott was born at Graham, Tazewell County, Virginia, October 3, 1878,
son of James and Nannie (Hale) Scott, being their only child. His parents were
natives of .Virginia and his father was a farmer. The grandfather, Matthew Scott,
was a jeweler and gunsmith, and repaired guns for the Confederate army during
the Civil war.

Charles M. Scott acquired a common school education, attended Princeton Academy,
the University of West Virginia at Morgantown and Richmond College at Richmond,
Virginia. In 1897 he entered the University College of Medicine at Richmond,
from which he graduated M. D. in 1901. The following year he began practice at
Bluefield, where he is handling a general practice, but every year he did
special work in surgery and other post graduate courses in the New York
Polyclinic, and in 1910 began specializing in surgery, which now comprises
eighty per cent of his professional work. In the line of his profession Doctor
Scott gave Bluefield a modern institution in St. Luke’s Hospital, which he built
and established in 1905, with accommodations for fifty patients and with every
type of modern hospital equipment. Doctor Scott is a busy professional man, has
reached a position of ripe achievement, is kindly and generous and one of
Bluefield’s most useful citizens. He is a member of the County, State and
American Medical associations and is a Fellow of the American College of
Surgeons. Doctor Scott is a Baptist, a member of the Chamber of Commerce,
Rotary Club and Blueficld Country Club, and is an Elk.

November 10, 1912, at Catlettsburg, Kentucky, he married Miss Hazel Morton,
daughter of Dr. W. W. and Edith (Hill) Morton. They have two children, Helen and
Charles Scott.

David H. Thornton

MERCER COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 18, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 158

DAVID H. THORNTON, M. D. Engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in
Mercer County for nearly thirty years, and for twenty years of that time a
specialist in eye, ear, nose and throat diseases, Doctor Thornton has in
addition to his character as a high minded and proficient doctor exerted a
helpful influence in community affairs and particularly in behalf of the
simplicity of original Christianity and the application of the Bible to the
common life and affairs of mankind.

Doctor Thornton was born in Mercer County, June 30, 1865, is of English and
Irish descent and of Virginia stock, both his parents, William M. and Eliza J.
(Hatcher) Thornton, being natives of Virginia. His father was a farmer, served
as a soldier in the Civil war with a Virginia regiment under Colonel French, and
was all through the fighting to the end. In the battle of Clark, near Princeton,
he was wounded in the arm, but recovered and rejoined his command. After the war
he returned to his farm, and lived there, manifesting a commendable interest in
public affairs, and was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, but before his
death became attracted to the study of the Bible with his son, Doctor Thornton.

David H. Thornton acquired a common school education, attended the State Normal
at Athens, and, leaving there, went to Janesville, Wisconsin, to the Valentine
School of Telegraphy. After mastering the technique of the telegraph key he
entered the service of the Norfolk & Western Railway as clerk of the Clinch
Valley Division while it was under construction. Doctor Thornton was a railroad
man for three years, and following that bought a store from his brother at
Elgood and was in the general mercantile business two years. He sold out and
used his capital to prepare himself for the profession of medicine. In 1893 he
graduated M. D. from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, and
began practice at Athens where he remained twenty years, and since then has had
his home and professional headquarters at Princeton. Doctor Thornton began
specializing in 1902 in the eye, ear, nose and throat, taking in that year a
post-graduate course at the Chicago Post-Graduate School and also a private
course on the ear under Albert Andrews and on the eye under R S. Pattillo. In
1912 he did other work along his special lines in the New York Post Graduate
School and Hospital; and for a number of years his practice has been limited to
his specialties.

In 1889, at Graham, Virginia, Doctor Thornton married Mary Jennings, daughter
of William H. and Isabel (Shanklin) Jennings, natives of West Virginia. Doctor
and Mrs. Thornton had six children: Chauncey Bryan, Eunice Janetta, Mabel Clara,
Paul Benson, Joseph Harry and David Jennings. Two of them are now deceased,
Eunice and Joseph H. The daughter Mabel is the wife of C. J. Moore, an employe
in the general office of the Norfolk & West Virginia Railway. The son Chauncey,
who is an electrician with the Appalachian Power Company at Bluefield, married
Hattie Meadow, daughter of Attorney J. H. Meadow. His son David is an
electrician in the navy on the battleship destroyer Davis No. 65.

Doctor Thornton many years ago was attracted to the independent religious
movement of Pastor Russell, and has been an enthusiastic member of the
International Bible Students Association and for several years has conducted a
class for the study of the Bible, which is outside of all denomination and free
from creeds, concentrating upon the essential teachings as presented by Christ
and his followers. Some years ago, before the World war, in prosecution of his
study of the Bible and his interest in Old World affairs, Doctor Thornton and
his brother J. T. of Bluefield made a long and interesting trip abroad through
Asia, Africa, the Holy Land, Germany, Italy and France.

Doctor Thornton is a member of the Business Men’s Club at Princeton, belongs to
the County and State Medical Society, is a Fellow of the American Medical
Association, and was formerly active in Masonry, being a Royal Arch and Knight
Templar Mason and Shriner. He served as master of his Lodge and as high priest
of his Chapter.