Category Archives: Marion

George W. Sturm

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

748

STURM, GEORGE W. (Republican.) Address:
West Milford, West Va. One of the members of the
House of Delegates from Harrison county. Born March
10, 1861, in Marion county; educated in the public
schools; taught in the schools of Marion county for ten
years; moved to West Milford, Harrison county in 1904;
member of the town council of West Milford; farmer,
merchant and extensive fruit grower; elected to the
Legislature in 1916 and during the sessions of 1917 was
assigned to the following committees: Printing and
Contingent Expenses, State Boundaries, Medicine and
Sanitation.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Elbert Willis Bush

MARION COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
April 11, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 381, 382
Bio: Elbert Willis Bush, Marion County

Elbert Willis Bush. Prominent among the public officials who are
contributing to the civic welfare and advancement of Huntington stands Elbert
Willis Bush, city
commissioner of public utilities, public buildings and grounds. He has held
some city position regularly since 1915, during which time he has established
an excellent record for conscientious and constructive work, and in addition
to being well known in public life is a prominent figure in fraternal
circles, particularly in the Knights of Pythias.

Mr Bush was born February 15, 1878, at Sabina, Ohio, the only son and
child of Owen an Mary (Fenner) Bush.l His father was born in Clinton County,
Ohio, and resided near Sabina all his life, devoting himself without
interruption to the pursuits of agriculture, in which he achieved success.
He was a republican in his political views,
and his religious faith was that of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which
he was an active worker. He died at Sabina in 1915. Mr Bush married Miss
Mary Fenner, who was born in 1857, in Adams County, Ohio and died near Sabina
in 1887.

Elbert Willis Bush was educated in the rural schools of Clinton County,
Ohio, and prepared for a business career by attendance at the Buckeye
Business College at
Sidney, Ohio, in 1896 and 1897. For two years after graduation he served as
an instructor in this college, and in 1903 came to Huntington, where he
entered the
employ of the Huntington Cold Storage and Commission Company in the general
offices. Later he resigned this position to accept one with T. H. Clay, a
brokerage commission merchant, with whom he was employed in office work. In
1915 Mr Bush was appointed assistant city treasurer of Huntington by the city
board of
commissioners, and filled that office for three years. Next he was appointed
city
auditor, and held this office one year exactly. In the meanwhile he was
elected a
city commissioner of Huntington, in May, 1919, for a term of three years, his
term of
office expiring the second Monday in June 1922. He is a commissioner of
public utilities, public buildings and grounds, and as before noted, has
established an excellent record. All those having business at Mr. Bush’s
office in City Hall, Eighth
Street and Fifth Avenue, have found him courteous, obliging and prompt, and
he has succeeded in making and retaining numerous friends in the regular
course of his
duties. He is a republican in politics.

Mr. Bush has made a hobby of fraternal organizations, and is prominently
known
in this connection, particularly the Knights of Pythias order. He was
knighted in
Huntington Lodge No. 33, Knights of Pythias in June 1906, elected chancellor
commander in December of that year, received the Grand Lodge rank at
HUNTINGTON in 1907, and in December, 1907 was elected master of finance, with
which office he was connected until 1912, when he was elected keeper of
records and seal, a position he has held since. He is the only grand
chancellor to fill this office
during his term, but the subordinate lodge would not release him. He served
as deputy grand chancellor in 1912-13, was a representative to the Grand
Lodge at the session
held at Charleston in 1912, was made chairman of the committee on reports by
Grand
Chancellor Sam R. Nuzum, and elected grand outer guard in 1914, after which
he advanced each year until 1918, when he was elected grand chancellor at
Clarksburg.
Mr. Bush is a member of Shiraz Temple No. 29, Dramatic Order Knights of
Khorassan,
of Charleston, having joined at a ceremonial held at Huntington in 1911. He
likewise holds membership in Lewis Temple No. 22, Pythian Sisters; Huntington
Lodge No. 313, B.P.O.E.; Mohawl Tribe No. 11, I.O.R.M.; Huntington Council
No. 190, J.O.U.A.M.;
Huntington Council No. 53, U.C.T., of which he served as secretary for
several years; Huntington No. 347, L.O.O.M., and Ivanhoe Castle No. 13,
K.G.E. He has other connections of a business, social and civic character,
and is a member of the Huntington Chamber of Commerce. His religious
connection is with the Fifth Avenue Baptist Church.

On January 9, 1918, at Covington, Kentucky, Mr. Bush was united in
marriage with Mrs. Mamie (Roberts) Hardwicke, daughter of Frank N. and Mary
Roberts, the latter now deceasedand the former a resident of Hamlin, Lincoln
County, West Virginia.
Mr. Roberts, who is now ninety years of age, is living in retirement after a
longand successful career as a merchant. To Mr. and Mrs. Bush there has come
one child, Mary Virginia, who was born at Huntington September 2, 1919.

Eli Orval Murray

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

743

MURRAY, ELI ORVAL. (Democrat.) Address:
Mannington, West Va. One of the delegates from Marion
county. Born February 28, 1882, in Mannington Dis-
trict, Marion county; received his earlier education in a
country school and later attended the Fairmont State
Normal; occupation, farmer, lumber dealer, oil producer
and raiser of pure bred Short Horn cattle; is President of
the Clayton Oil Company; elected to the House of Dele-
gates as one of the representatives from Marion county
in 1912 and served in the session of 1913; re-elected in
1914; re-elected again in 1916; committee assignments in
1917: Taxation and Finance, Forfeited and Unappro-
priated Lands, Forestry and Conservation, Mines and
Mining, Immigration and Agriculture.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Eugene Carl Frame

PRESTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 16, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 508
Marion

EUGENE CARL FRAME, a prominent member of the Marion
County bar and a loyal and popular citizen of Fairmont,
the county seat, was born at Coolville, Athens County, Ohio,
September 2, 1872, and is a son of Augustus J. and Har-
riet (Smith) Frame. Augustus J. Frame was born at
Coolville in 1835, and his death occurred in 1908. His
father, John Frame, was a young man when he came from
his native Ireland and settled in Athens County, Ohio, where
he passed the remainder of his life. Augustus J. Frame
became a successful merchant and influential citizen of
Athens County, where he held public office-county treas-
urer and county auditor-for a total period of twenty-six
years. His wife was born at Letart, Meigs County, Ohio,
in 1841, and died in 1884.

Eugene C. Frame attended the public schools at Cool-
ville and Athens, Ohio, and in addition to taking a course
in the law department of the University of West Virginia
he furthered his technical knowledge by the study of law in
the office of Berkshire & Sturgiss, a leading law firm at
Morgantown. He was admitted to the bar in 1895, and he
gave twenty years of effective service as official court re-
porter in Monongalia, Marion and Harrison counties. Dur-
ing Judge Sturgiss’ administration as United States dis-
trict attorney Mr. Frame was his official secretary and law
clerk. Since 1897 he has been engaged in active practice at
Fairmont, and within this period he has been a prominent
figure in much of the important litigation in the courts
of this part of the state. In 1911 he became junior mem-
ber of the law firm of Showalter & Frame, and this effective
alliance continued until January 1, 1921, when the senior
member of the firm, Judge Emmet M. Showalter assumed
his seat on the bench of the Criminal Court of Marion
County. Since that time Mr. Frame has continued his prac-
tice in an individual way.

Mr. Frame is a past master of Fairmont Lodge No. 9,
A. F. and A. M.; is a past high priest of Oriental Chapter
No. 6, R. A. M.; past eminent commander of Crusade
Commandery, Knights Templars; and in Sovereign Con-
sistory No. 1 of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite
of the Masonic fraternity at Wheeling he has received the
thirty-second degree. In November, 1921, he was made
deputy grand master of the Masonic Grand Lodge of West
Virginia.

In 1895 Mr. Frame wedded Miss Nellie Lee Haymond,
daughter of Lindsey B. and Alice (Comerford) Haymond,
of Fairmont. Mr. Haymond was one of the leading mem-
bers of the Marion County bar and was serving as prose-
cuting attorney of the county at the time of his death.

He was a son of the late Judge Alpheus F. Haymond,
who served twelve years on the bench of the Supreme
Court of West Virginia and who is more specifically men-
tioned on other pages of this work, especially in the per-
sonal sketch of Judge William S. Haymond of Fairmont.
Mr. and Mrs. Frame have two children: Lindsey A., who
was born October 31, 1896, graduated from the Fair-
mont High School and the State Normal School in this
city, and thereafter continued his studies in the University
of Ohio. When the nation became involved in the World
war he enlisted in the United States Navy, in which he
served as gunner’s mate. He is now engaged in the
fruit-orchard and poultry business at Hancock, Maryland.
He married Miss Mary Emmet, of Columbus, Ohio. James
C., the younger son, was born September 9, 1899, and is
a graduate of the Fairmont. High School and the State
Normal School, as well as of the University of Ohio, and
he is now associated with his brother in business at Han-
cock, Maryland.

Frank C. Haymond

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 738

HAYMOND, FRANK C. (Democrat.) Address: Fair-
mont. Born in that city April 13, 1887; graduated at Fair-
mont State Normal School, 1906; in the fall of 1906 entered
Harvard University; in 1910 received the degree of A. B.
from Harvard College; a practicing attorney; received his
legal education at Harvard Law School; in 1916 elected as one
of the delegates from Marion county; committee assign-
ments in 1917: Private Corporations and Joint Stock Com-
panis [sic] (Chairman); Judiciary, Elections and Privileges,
Mines and Mining, Arts, Science and General Improve-
ments, Rules, Forfeited and Unappropriated Lands. He
also served on the Special Committee on the Virginia Debt.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Fred William Bartlett

MARION COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
*****************************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
Frog158@juno.com
December 13, 1999
*****************************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II
Pg. 72

Fred William Bartlett has been an oil operator thirty years, most of the
time as an independent, and is one of the best known and most popular citizens of
Marion county. His home during the greater part of his life has been at
Mannington.
Mr. Bartlett was born at New Martinsville, Wetzel County, West Virginia,
July 29, 1867, son of Martin and Sarah Ann (Beatty) Bartlett, both now deceased.
His father was born at Clarksburg, West Virginia, in 1842, and was a
Confederate soldier during the last two years of the Civil war. The father’s
brother, Capt. Fred W. Bartlett, for whom Fred William Bartlett of this
review was named, organized a company in Clarksburg for service in the
Confederate Army, and served until the close of the war. Martin Bartlett was a
blacksmith and a machinist, and was in that business at New Martinsville when
he died in 1868. A short time before his death he had assisted in drilling the
first oil well in the Mannington District. He was Scottish Rite Mason. After
his death his widow returned to Martinsville, where she was born in 1846,
daughter of Jeremiah Beatty, an early settler of Mannington. She died in 1916.
Fred W. Bartlett grew up at Mannington, aquired a common school
education, and as a youth became a bread winner for himself and his widowed
mother. At the age of nine he was selling papers on the streets of Mannington,
and has had some active connection with serious business ever since. He has
dealt in real estate, has been an oil and gas operator, and also well known as
a hotel proprieter. Mr. Bartlett has accumulated two fortunes, and still
retains the second and larger.
He began his career as an independent operator in oil in 1892. His work
has been as an independent except for ten years, during which time he was
president and sole owner of what was then known as the Home Gas Company, which
supplied gas for manufacturing and domestic purposes at Mannington. He finally
sold this company to the Standard Oil interest. Since then he has been
extensively interested in the production of crude oil.
In 1896 Mr. Bartlett bought what was then the Commercial Hotel of
Mannington. He rebuilt and remodeled the property and renamed it the Hotel
Bartlett. This is now one of the best hotels in the state, second in size only
to the hotels of the larger cities, to which it yields nothing in its equipment
and service. With fifty rooms, all with hot and cold running water, and many
with private baths, with a fine dining room, and a spacious and beautifully
decorated lobby, the Hotel Bartlett is both a surprise and delight to those
making their first visit to Mannington.
October 8, 1892, Mr. Bartlett married Miss Harriet Brownfield Walker,
who was born in Fairmont, November 19, 1871, daughter of the late Kephart
Delvarem and Josephine (Wiggenton) Walker, of Fairmont. The Walker family is of
Scotch origin and has been in Pennsylvania for five and in West Virginia for two
generations. The American ancestor was Donald Walker, who married a Lane.
Their son, Peter Walker, was born in Washington County, Maryland. He became a
wealthy farmer of Somerset County, Pennsylvania. His son, John P. Walker,
removed from Pennsylvania to Loudoun County, Virginia, and later to Ohio County,
West Virginia, and died in the City of Wheeling in 1852. He married Margaret
Lane, and of their children Kephart D. Walker was born in Somerset County,
Pennsylvania, February 14, 1838, and died at Fairmont in 1919.
Kephart D. Walker entered the service of the Baltimore & Ohio Railway as
construction camp clerk in 1853. During the next eighteen months he utilized
his leisure opportunities to aquire some knowledge of telegraphy, was then
assigned to the telegraph department of the Baltimore & Ohio, and subsequently
became a brakeman and still later a conductor. During the Civil war for a time
he was in the secret service, in the armies of Gen. Stonewall Jackson and Gen.
John B. Walker, the latter being a relative. After the war he resumed railroad
work fo the Baltimore & Ohio, and for ten years was station agent at Fairmont,
was superintendent of the Fairmont division, and when the Fairmont, Morgantown
& Pittsburgh line was undertaken he was assigned the task of securing the right
of way between Fairmont and Morgantown. During the construction he was
purchasing agent. He had charge of the first train run over this line into
Pittsburgh. After this service he resumed his work as a passenger
conductor until 1906, when he was retired on pension.
Kephart D. Walker became a Mason in 1870, and in 1875 was chosen grand
master of West Virginia Grand Lodge, and at the time of his death was a
supreme honorary thirty-third degree Scottish Rite Mason. He married in 1859,
Josephine Wiggington, daughter of Presley and Sarah Wiggenton, of Loudoun County,
Virginia.

George Hustead Brownfield

MARION COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 198

George Hustead Brownfield, M. D., a representative physician and citizen of
Fairmont, Marion County maintains his residence and office at the old
homestead where he was born, on Main Street, his birth having occurred March
31, 1871. His father, the late Dr. James Hustead Brownfield, was long one
of the leading physicians and surgeons at Fairmont.

Doctor Brownfield gained his early education in the public schools of his
native city, and thereafter was for four years a student in the University of
West Virginia, where he passed two years in the literary department and two
in the medical department. In 1898 he was graduated from the College of
Physicians and Surgeons in the City of Baltimore, Maryland, and in the same
year became surgeon for the Murray Mines, three in number in Marion County.
He continued his professional service in this connection nine years, and in
the meanwhile, in 1903, again became a resident of Fairmont, where he was
associated in practice with his father until the latter’s death and where he
has since continued his substantial and representative general practice, his
service as surgeon with the mining company having continued until 1907. He
is now retained as physician and surgeon to two of the largest mines of the
Consolidated Coal Company. He is a member of the Marion County and State
Medical societies, the Southern Medical Association and the American Medical
Association. His Masonic affiliations are with the Fairmont Blue Lodge,
Chapter and Commandery of the York Rite, and he has received the
thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, besides being affiliated with
Osiris Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Wheeling. He holds membership in the
Fairmont Lodge of Elks and the Fairmont Country Club. He and his wife are
members of the Baptist Church. The Doctor married Ida L., a daughter of
Allison Bartlett, of Harrison County. They have no children.

Millard Fillmore Hamilton

MARION COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 440-441

MILLARD FILLMORE HAMILTON, M. D., of Mannington,
graduated in medicine and quialified himself for the practice
of that profession forty years ago. Except for brief in-
tervals his professional work has all been in Mannington.
Doctor Hamilton is more than a capable physician and
surgeon, is a citizen known for his progressiveness and
leadership in many movements, is a former mayor of Man-
nington and has also to his credit a record of service in
the Legislature.

He was born near Mannington February 22, 1860, son
of Ulysses and Malissa (Yost) Hamilton. He is a de-
scendant of Henry Hamilton, who came to America in
Colonial times from the north of Ireland, where his ancestry,
a branch of the great Hamilton family of Scotland, had
been established in earlier generations. Henry Hamilton
first located at Winchester, Virginia, where he married
Elizabeth Tryand. Subsequently he removed to the vicinity
of Morgantown, West Virginia, and in 1818 he left Monon-
galia County and settled on Plum Run in Marion County.

His son, Boaz Fleming, was born in Morgantown in 1798,
and was ten years of age when the family settled in
Marion County, where he became a widely known and in-
fluential citizen. He was a stanch democrat. He was de-
feated as a candidate for county clerk of courts in 1852,
but in 1858 was elected to that office and served three
years. October 26, 1828, he married Maria Parish.

Their son, James Ulysses Hamilton, was born at Fair-
mont January 12, 1839. In 1843 the family established
their home at Salt Lick in Marion County, where James U.
Hamilton grew up and lived his active life as a prosperous
farmer and influential citizen. He died on his farm there
in 1915. He married Malissa Yost, daughter of Nicholas
Yost, of Fairview and member of the old and prominent
family of that name in Marion County. Malissa Hamilton
died January 1, 1916, in her seventy-ninth year.

Millard Fillmore Hamilton spent his early life on his
father’s farm, attended common schools, the Fairmont
Normal School, and began the study of medicine under the
preceptorship of his uncle, Dr. P. D. Yost, of St. Louis,
Missouri. Doctor Hamilton in 1883 graduated from the
American Eclectic Medical College of St. Louis. He began
practice in Mercer County, Missouri, but in 1883 returned
to West Virginia, and has been a leading physician and
surgeon at Mannington since that date, except for a period
of six months during 1885-86 when he was on the Pacific
Coast in practice at Fort Ross, California. Doctor Hamil-
ton has held the post of district surgeon for the Baltimore
& Ohio Railway for thirty-eight years, and for the past
twenty-five years had been a member of the United States
Board of Examining Surgeons for Pensions, and president
of the board during the last five years. He is a member
of the Marion County, West Virginia and American Medical
Associations, has served as vice president of the West Vir-
ginia Eclectic Medical Association, and is a member of
the Baltimore & Ohio Railway Association of Surgeons.

He was one of the organizers and incorporators of the
Opera House Company, and helped organize and was presi-
dent during its existence of the Mannington Development
Company. He was one of the promoters of the Mannington
Glass Company, and has always taken a deep civic pride in
all matters pertaining to the welfare of Mannington and
vicinity. For sixteen years he was president of the Bank of
Mannington. He is owner of a number of houses in Man-
nington, several farms, and on one of these at Salt Lick
he built a beautiful home, where he and his family spend
the summer months. In 1921 at their bungalow in the
country were entertained the members and their wives of
the Marion County Medical Society. This place is one
of the notable horticultural projects of the county, Doctor
Hamilton having developed an orchard of between 1,800 and
2,000 fruit trees.

Doctor Hamilton has been a member of the City Council
of Mannington, and in the spring of 1918 was elected mayor.
He was in the office during the World war. In that time
the streets were filled with thousands of drafted men and
their relatives and friends, Mannington being the drafting
center for Marion County outside of Fairmont. Under such
conditions the city was so well policed that there was not
a single accident, tragic or otherwise. In 1918 Doctor
Hamilton was elected a member of the West Virginia Legis-
lature. In the session of 1921 he introduced a joint resolu-
tion, adopted, requesting the Federal Government to select
Berkeley Springs in Morgan County as the site for one
of the five soldier sanitariums which the Government con-
templated building in different parts of the country. This
subject is still pending, only one of the sites having been
selected to date. Doctor Hamilton was appointed a member
of the Board of Trustees of Berkeley Springs by Governor
Morgan.

In August, 1888, Doctor Hamilton married Miss Bessie
L. Basnett, daughter of Festus D. Basnett, of Mannington.
Doctor and Mrs. Hamilton have two sons. Dale H., born
August 25, 1894, is a graduate of agriculture and horti-
culture from West Virginia University and now has charge
of his father’s fruit farm. During the World war he was
in the Government’s Spruce Division on the Pacific Coast,
where he had charge of eight hundred men in getting out
spruce timber for airplane building. Dale H. Hamilton
married Carla Lee Yorgersen, of the State of Washington,
and they have one daughter, Phyllis Jean, born October
19, 1921.

Dewey Dallas, born March 17, 1898, is now a student
in the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati. He took two
years of preparatory work for his medical course in West
Virginia University, and was there during the war, and had
volunteered and entered the Officers Training Camp at Camp
Taylor, Kentucky, but the armistice was signed before a
commission was issued.

Ira Alvin Akins

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 729

Members of the House of Delegates.

AKIN8, IRA ALVIN. (Democrat.) Address: Fair-
mont, West Va. A member of the House of Delegates from
Marion county; elected in 1914; re-elected in 1916. Born
August 2, 1874, at Circleville, Pa.; attended the common
schools and spent one year in high school; came from
a line of Scotch-Irish ancestry who settled in Western Penn-
sylvania; became a resident of West Va. in 1896; occupation
railroad conductor; has been connected with the Baltimore &
Ohio and the Ohio River railroads twenty-two years; has rep-
resented railroad employees in wage adjustments and other
ways; committee assignments 1917: Humane Institutions
and Public Buildings (Chairman; Medicine and Sanitation,
Railroads, Claimsand Grievances, ExecutiveOffices, Library.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

James Hustead Brownfield

MARION COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 15, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II

pg 197 + 198

James Hustead Brownfield, M. D., was a man whose professional and civic
stewardship was of the finest type, and at the time of his death he was the
dean of his profession in the City of Fairmont, Marion County, where his name
and memory are held in lasting honor. He was born in Fayette County,
Pennsylvania, July 5, 1836, and his death occurred January 19, 1921.

Thomas Brownfield, a representative of one of the pioneer families of Western
Pennsylvania, crossed the Alleghany Mountains and settled in Fayette County.
One of his sons, Rev. William Brownfield, became a distinguished Presbyterian
clergyman and was a contemporary of Rev. Alexander Campbell in effective
Christian service in the State of Pennsylvania, Mr. Campbell having been
founder of the Disciples or Christian Church. Another son, James, married
Hannah Bowell, and among the children of this union was Judge John Brownfield
who was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and who there became a
successful merchant, besides which he served ten years, 1851-61, as associate
judge of that county. Judge Brownfield married Belinda, daughter of John
Hustead, and she died July 2, 1882, at the age of seventy-two years. They
were the parents of the subject of this memoir, Dr. James H. Brownfield. In
his native state the Doctor received the advantages of old Lewisburg College,
now Bucknell University, and thereafter he read medicine under the
preceptorship of Dr. H. B. Mathiot at Smithfield, Fayette County. Thereafter
he took one course of lectures in historic old Jefferson Medical College,
Philadelphia, and in 1860 he established his residence at Fairmont, West
Virginia. Here he was retained as a contract physician for a time, and when
the Civil war began he tendered his services to the Union. He became
assistant surgeon of the Fourteenth West Virginia Volunteer Infantry, and
served in this capacity until the close of the war. He then returned to
Fairmont, and for many years thereafter he held inviolable place as the
leading physician and surgeon in Marion County. The Doctor was one of the
organizers of the West Virginia State Medical Society in 1867, and was a
member also of the American Association of Railroad Surgeons and the American
Public Health Association. He received the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite of the Masonic fraternity, was a member of the Mystic Shrine,
and was a republican in politics. From 1867 to 1884 he was elected a
representative in the State Legislature. In all the relations of life he was
loyal, earnest and helpful, and he was held in affectionate esteem in the
community which was long the stage of his labors.

October 18, 1866, recorded the marriage of Doctor Brownfield and Miss Ann
Elizabeth Fleming, daughter of Matthew Fleming, and her death occurred in
1903. Of the children the eldest is John M., a banker at Fairmont; Clark B.
died in January 1909, leaving one son, James H. (II); Dr. George H. is the
subject of a personal sketch following; and Arch F. is engaged in the jewelry
business at Fairmont.