Category Archives: Logan

Chester Cush Chambers

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II.
pg. 356.

CHESTER CUSH CHAMBERS

Chester Cush Chambers, the efficient and popular city attorney
of Logan judicial center of Logan County, was born at Pecks
Mills, this county, Decmeber 11, 1890, and is the son of Leroy
and Martha (Chambers) Chambers, both natives of this state,
where they still reside on their excellent homestead farm near
Pecks Mill. The father of Leroy Chambers was born in Virginia,
where the family, of English lineage, was founded in the
Colonial
days, and he became one of the distinguished and eloquent
clergymen of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as a minister of
which he labored long and earnestly and gained high reputation
for his consecrated zeal and devotion.

After receiving the discipline of the public schools Chester C.
Chambers was for three years a student in Marshall College at
Huntington, this state. In 1915 he graduated in the law
department of historic old Washington and Lee University,
Virginia, and after thus receiving his degree of Bachelor of
Laws he engaged in the practice of his profession at Logan,
where his success marks him as one of the representative younger
meembers of the bar of Logan County. He served one term as
county recorder, and the year 1922 finds him giving an
effective administration in the office of city attorney of
Logan.

On the 6th of March, 1918, Mr. Chambers entered the nation’s
military service in connection with the World war. He passed
one year at Camp Greenleaf, Georgia, and for ten months
thereafter he was stationed at Fort Bayard, New Mexico. He
won commission as second lieutenant, was assigned to the
sanitary corps, and at Fort Bayard he was made adjutant of the
United States General Hospital, commanding officer of the
hospital force of 600 men, custodian of the hospital funds and
fire marshal of the Post. The preferments denote the high
estimate placed upon him and also the effieciency of his
service. He received his honorable discharge in August, 1919,
and then resumed the practice of his profession at Logan. He
is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.

In March, 1918, Mr. Chambers was united in marriage with Miss
Ida Robinette, of Logan County, she being a daughter of
Preston and Ella (Gore) Robinette, the former a native of
Kentucky and the latter of the present Logan County, West
Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Chambers are popular figures in the
representative social activities of their home community.

Submitted by Vivian Brinker April 27, 2000

Floyd D. Stollings

LOGAN COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
“John “Bill” Wheeler”
wheeler@gru.net
December 6, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume ll.,
pg.110

Floyd D. Stollings, who has been a prominent and influential figure in
connection with the timber business in West Virginia and also in the handling
of coal lands, has the distinction of maintaining his home in a town that was
named in his honor, the attractive village of Stollings, Logan County. He was
born near Chapmanville, this county in January. 1853 and is a son of Nelson and
Lurania(Workman) Stollings, the former of whom likewise was born near
Chapmanville and the later of whom was in Boone County, where her death occurred
in 1890 and where her husband died in 1900, at the venerable age of eighty-four
years. Josiah Stollings, grandfather of the subject of this review, owned large
tracts of land near Chapmanville, and was one of the representative pioneers of
Logan County. The Stollings came from North Carolina and were numbered among the
first settlers in the Guyan valley in what is now West Virginia. Abraham
Workman, maternal grandfather of Mr. Stollings likewise came to this section in
an early day, his former home having been in North Carolina, near the Virginia
line.
Nelson Stolling finally established his home on a farm in Boone County,
about midway between Chapmanville and Madison, and he met with heavy property
and financial losses at the time of the Civil War. He became a mail contractor
and transported the mail from Logan to Charleston and also between Logan and
Wayne, besides which he established a postoffice at Tracefork, a village now
known as Manila, in Boone County.After the close of the war Nelson Stollings as
prosperous in his activities as a farmer, trader and mail contractor. He was
born in the year 1816 and his wife in 1821, both having been earnest members of
the Missionary Baptist Church and his political allegiance having been given to
the democratic party. Of their seven children Floyd D., of this sketch, is the
only one now living. The oldest son, Thomas B. though under the age at the time,
enlisted for services as a confederate soldier in the Civil War.
Floyd D. Stollings gains his early education in the schools of Logan and
Boone Counties, and his initial work of independent order was the service which
he gave as postmaster at Tracefork. From 1874 to 1876 inclusive, he was in the
panhandle district of Texas, and upon his return to West Virginia he engaged in
the mercantile business in Boone County. He next turned his attention to the
timber industry and instituted operation of Twelve Pole Creek and Guyandot
River. He first bought popular and walnut timber, which he would raft down to
the Ohio River, down which stream the fleet of logs were towed by boats to
market points. In his operation, which became of large scope, he maintained his
headquarters at Catlettsburg, Kentucky, which was the headquarters for all of
the old timber men operating on the Twelve Pole and Guyandot rivers. Mr.
Stollings has bought and sold many thousand acres of timber and coal lands, has
cut the timber from much land that he later sold to coal operators, and among
his purchases was 500 acres where the village of Stollings is now situated,
this town having been founded in 1900, which was named in his honor and to the
development of which he has contributed in general measure, he having
established his home after many years’ residence in Boone County. He is a
democrat in political allegiance and his wife is a member of the Christian
Church.
The year 1873 recorded the marriage of Mr. Stollings and Miss Luella Stone,
daughter of the late William N. Stone of Boone County. Of this union were born
five sons and five daughters, two of the sons being deceased.

Edgar B. Gibson

EDGAR B. GIBSON is a superintendent of the Logan Chilton Coal Company on the Guyandotte Eiver near Henlawson in Logan County. Well versed in all the details of mine de- velopment and operation, he first became a factor in the mine industry as an electrician and electrical engineer. Practically all his working experience has been with the Leckie interests in West Virginia.

Mr. Gibson was born at Cooper in Mercer County, West Virginia, August 25, 1889, son of William B. and Lou E. (Butterworth) Gibson, the former a native of Washington County, Tennessee, and the latter of Campbell County, Vir- ginia. The mother is still living on the old homestead farm at Watauga, Tennessee. William B. Gibson, who died February 5, 1922, at the age of sixty-four, spent a number of years in the coal mines of the Tug River District of West Virginia, chiefly at Elkhorn, where he was in the service of the Pocahontas Consolidated Fuel Company in all the varied positions from track layer to superintendent. He finally left the mines to return to his farm in Washington County, Tennessee. He was a republican, a Baptist and an Odd Fellow. All of his five sons at some time were con- nected with the coal mining industry: A. J., now a farmer at Princeton in Mercer County, spent twenty years with the Pocahontas Fuel Company and other mines; C. C. was killed by accident while with the Tidewater Coal and Coke Com- pany as hoisting engineer; C. S., a farmer at Princeton, was formerly associated with the Tidewater Coal Company, Bottom Creek Coal Company and other mines; and M. P., a resident of Princeton.

Edgar B. Gibson attended a seminary near his old home in Washington County, Tennessee. His training in electrical engineering was gained by a practical course of apprentice- ship and instruction at the Jeffrey Manufacturing Com- pany’s plant in Columbus, Ohio. He has been an electrical engineer for twelve years. His first work was in the mines at Leckie on Tug River in McDowell County as a hoisting engineer. He spent six years at Leckie, and was chief electrician when he left there. His next location was at Aflex in Pike County, Kentucky, on the Tug River, where for two years he was electrician and assistant superinten- dent. For three years he was chief electrician at Fireco in Raleigh County, at the same place during the succeeding year was superintendent of Leckie Mine No. 3. Then, in May, 1921, he came to Logan County for the purpose of opening the Logan Chilton Mine, and all its equipment was installed under his supervision. He also opened mines at Aflex and Leckie No. 3.

In 1915 Mr. Gibson married Viola V. Phipps, daughter of Herbert Phipps, of Sullivan County, Tennessee. Their two children are Helen and Alma. Mrs. Gibson is a Presby- terian. He is a democrat, and is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and Elks.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 343-344

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Submitted by Valerie Crook March 18, 2000 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jenkin J. Gilmore

Jenkin J. Gilmore, after completing a very liberal education, returned to West Virginia and entered the coal industry, and is one of the well known mine superintendents in Logan County. His headquarters are at Barnabas on the Omar branch of the Chesapeake & Ohio, about twelve miles from Logan.

Mr. Gilmore was born January 1, 1888, at Bramwell in Mercer County, West Virginia. He is of Scotch and Irish ancestry, and a son of Milton and Alice (Becker) Gilmore. His parents were both born in Virginia. His father , who died in 1907, was a member of a Virginia regiment in the Civil war, and for many years was associated with the mining interests of the firm of Freeman & Jones at Bramwell.

Jenkin J. Gilmore acquired a common and high school education at Bramwell, finishing his high school course in 1903. For three years he pursued advanced training in Mount St. Joseph School at Baltimore, Maryland, and in 1908 graduated in a bookkeeping and general business course at Eastman’s Business College of Poughkeepsie, New York. On returning to West Virginia he was given work that constituted a general training in the mining industry under Colonel Tierney in the Pocahontas coal field. At the end of three years he had been advanced to mine boss and foreman for the Pocahontas Consolidated at Cherokee, where he remained two years. In 1915 he came to the Logan Field for the Main Island Creek Coal Company, where his first work was building a supply house. He was then made mine boss or foreman, and since 1919 has been mine superintendent for the Main Island Creek Coal Company at Barnabas. During the was he made every effort to get into service, but was ruled out, since his work in the coal fields was more essential to the winning of the war.

In 1917, at Catlettsburg, Kentucky, he married Miss Edna Easley, daughter of Frederick and Lou (Hatcher) Easley, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore have one son, Frederick. Mr. Gilmore is a Catholic, while his wife is a Presbyterian. He is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 370

Submitted by Tina Hursh Sept 23 2000

Watson Riley Hager

Biography of Watson Riley Hager

Watson Riley Hager was born April 12,1897 on Pea Ridge Lincoln County West Virginia to Claibourne Hager and Arabess Price Hager he was on of nine children .
His siblings are Willard,Allafair,Anthela,Henry,Rebecca,James and Victoria Geneva.
His maternal grandparents are Andrew Price and Clarinda Cooper.
Paternal Grandparents are Phillip H. Hager and Rebecca Lovejoy.
A veteran of World War 1 and World War 11.
He was in the Blair Mountain Battle to organize the United Mine Workers and was a member for 47 years .
He married Sylvia Belle Davidson on August 5,1922 in Lincoln County West Virginia.
To this marriage were born 4 children:
Mary (Betty) Hager Baxter, David Watson Hager Myrtle Lilly Hager Acord and Blevins Hager Sr.
Lived in Logan and Wyoming County West Virginia most of his adult life
He was a diabetic and was confined to a wheelchair for years the doctor would tell us he had outlived his body and he had a strong will.
Died April 17,1979 in Beckley Raleigh County West Virginia and is buried Palm Memorial Gardens at Matheny Wyoming County West Virginia.

Wyoming Logan and Lincoln Counties West Virginia

Submitted by granddaughter Sylvia Ann Acord Bragg

Kenna J. Heatherman

Kenna J. Heatherman, M.D., is engaged in the successful practice of his profession at Omar, Logan County, where he is official physician and surgeon for the Main Island Creek Coal Company and the Middle Fork Coal Company, besides which he is secretary, treasurer and manager of the Chafin-Jones-Heatherman Coal Company, a new operating corporation which made its first shipment of coal from its mine at Peach Creek, Logan County in March, 1922.

Doctor Heatherman was born at Bramwell, Mercer County, West Virginia, on the 8th of December, 1889, and is a son of William T. and Harriet Ann (Gilmore) Heatherman, the former of whom was born in West Virginia and the latter in Ireland, the father being now superintendent of mines at Powhatan, near Bramwell, in which former place he and his wife maintain their home. The Heatherman family ancestry is of Scotch-Irish origin.

Doctor Heatherman acquired in the schools at Powhatan, McDowell County, his early education, and in 1908 he graduated in a preparatory school in the City of Baltimore, Maryland. He then entered the medical department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky, and in this institution he was graduated in 1912, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He engaged in practice at Glenalum, Mingo County, West Virginia, and mine physician for the War Eagle Coal Company, and there he remained until January, 1918, when he removed to Omar to assume mine practice of the various mines controlled by the Main Island Creek Coal Company. He has proved personally and professionally equal to the responsibilities placed upon him in connection with a large and important mine practice, which includes many surgical cases, and he utilizes the hospital facilities at Huntington, Hatfield and other points. The Doctor was anxious to enter the Medical Corps of the United States Army in connection with the world war, but field-production was a matter of major importance during the climacteric period and he was held to his executive professional duties at the mines, where the government considered his services of equal value. He is a member of the Logan County medical Society, the West Virginia State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. The Doctor is affiliated with the Pi Mu medical college fraternity.

At Lousville, Kentucky, in 1912, Doctor Heatherman married Miss Pearl May Arbuckle, daughter of J.M. and Jane Arbuckle, the Arbuckle family having been one of prominence in Indiana. Mrs. Heatherman’s death occurred at Omar, and she is survived by two children, Kenna J., Jr., and Harriet Jane.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 368

Submitted by Tina Hursh August 15, 2000

James O. Hill

James O. Hill, M.D., has been engaged in the successful practice of his profession at Logan, county seat of Logan County, since 1912, and has specialized in obstetrics and the diseases of children. He was born on his father’s farm in Putnam County, this state, May 20, 1881, and is a son of George F. and Nancy S. (Bailey) Hill, the former of whom was born in what is now West Virginia and the latter in Virginia. She was nine years of age when her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Bailey, came to West Virginia, about 1867, and established their home in Putnam County, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Tradition in the Hill family is to the effect that three brothers of the name came to this country from their native Ireland and first made their way to Pennsylvania, whence they continued their journey by boat down the Ohio River to what is now Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Two of the brothers continued their way and supposedly settled in the eastern part of Virginia, the one who remained in what is now west Virginia having been the ancestor of the subject of this review. The father of Doctor Hill served many years as a member of the School board of his district, was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and both he and his wife became specially earnest and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Doctor Hill acquired his earlier education in the public schools of Putnam and Jackson counties, later continued his studies in Marras & Harvey College, at Barboursville, and in 1912 graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky, in the meanwhile having there gained valuable experience by serving one years as a hospital interne. In the year in which he thus received his degree of Doctor of Medicine he established his home at Logan, and here has developed a large and representative practice of general order, with special attention given to obstetrics and diseases of children, in which department of practice he has gained high reputation. In 1915 and 1917 the Doctor did effective advance work in the Post-Graduate Medical College in the City of New York. In the World was period he served as a member of the Medical Examining Board that had charge of examination of recruited soldiers in Logan County, and was active and influential in furthering the success of the local dries in support of the Government was loans, Red Cross work, etc. He is actively identified with the Logan County Medical Society and the West Virginia State Medical Society, has received the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite of the Masonic fraternity, besides being a noble of the Mystic Shrine, and he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

The year 1914 recorded at Loan the marriage of Doctor Hill and Miss Lena Ferrell, daughter of Anthony and Elizabeth (Mullins) Ferrell, both natives of West Virginia and both still residents of Logan County. Doctor and Mrs. Hill have two daughters: Elizabeth Ann and Nancy Susan.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 368

Submitted by Tina Hursh Sept. 23, 2000

John F. Ferrell

LOGAN COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
“John “Bill” Wheeler”
wheeler@gru.net
December 6, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia. Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume ll.,
pg. 111

John F. Ferrell. An interesting example of the power of hard work and
continuous energy in molding the destiny of the individual and also of other
persons and affairs around him is the career of John F. Ferrell, of Logan. The
sphere of his activities has been the timber and lumber industry. There was
probably no part of the heavy labor involved in logging among these West
Virginia hills which escaped his early experience. It is literally true that he
has come up from the ranks to the present responsibilities as general manager
and one of the owners of the Logan Planing Mill, one of the largest industries
of its kind in this part of the state.
Mr. Ferrell was born at his father’s farm at Chapmanville, April 28, 1878,
son of B.C. and Sarah (Dingess) Ferrell. His mother, who is still living, at the
age of sixty-six, was born on Crawley Creek, six miles from Chapmanville,
daughter of John Dingess, a native of the same locality who died while a soldier
in the confederate Army. At one time the Dingess family owned all the land from
the present location of Logan to the mouth of Big Creek. B.C. Ferrell, who died
in January, 1909, at the age of fifty-five, was born at Chapmanville, son of
Samuel Ferrell. who came from Russell County, Virginia, in 1841, and acquired a
large amount of valuable land in these valleys. The original homestead of the
Ferrells is still owned in the family. Samuel Ferrell was opposed to slavery,
was a consistent member of the Christian Church, and the camp meeting grounds
of that denomination were on his land. He was a strong republican. B.C. Ferrell
was a farmer, stock raiser and dealer. and before the days of railroads he
drove his stock over the mountains to market in Roane County. He was a member of
the Christian Church and was a democrat. Samuel Ferrell had a family of five
sons and one daughter. Besides B.C. another son, Squire died at the age of sixty
years. The three living sons are O.F.,L.B., and R.L., and the daughter, Nancy
Jane, is the wife of John Godby, all prosperous farmers. B.C. Ferrell and wife
had a large family of sons and daughters; John F., the oldest; Roxie, wife of
O.C. Winter of Huntington a traveling salesman; W.V., at the old home place;
Sarah Ann, who died at the age of fifteen; Wallace E., traveling representative
for the Logan Planing Mill and a resident of Huntington; Mary, wife of A.S.
Christian, living at the old Dingess place at the mouth Crawley Creek; Belle,
wife of Kyler Porter, an operator for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad at
Chapmanville; Peter M., living with his mother at Chapmanville; and Julia, who
died at the age of three.
John F. Ferrell grew up at Chapmanville, acquired his early schooling there,
but his better education has been achieved since he married and is due to his
application to business and also to studies taken up and carried on in the
intervals of other work. He was only fifteen when he went to work in the timber,
felling trees, sawing the logs, and his own labor has helped remove the timber
from extensive portions from Elk Creek and Big Ugly Creek. Mr. Ferrell has
owned probably twenty saw mills, and during the period of the great war he
operated five mills of his own. The company owning and operating the Logan
Planing Mill was organized January 11, 1916, and acquired the property formerly
known as the Lawson Planing Mill. Mr. Ferrell from the first has been active
manager of the plant. They are manufacturers of building material, consisting of
yellow pine from the long leafed district of the South, fir and fruit from the
Northeast, and also native timber. While much of the output is consumed locally,
this is one of the firms that do a heavy export business, selling export as far
away as Australia.
Mr. Ferrell while a member and chairman of the School Board in Chapmanville
District was certainly responsible in no small degree for the fine schools
established and maintained there. On May 9. 1899, at the age of twenty-one, he
married Miss Dekia Garrett, daughter of Rev. W.G. Garrett, who was a widely
known minister of the Christian Church in this section. Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell
are the parents of eight children. The daughter Garrett is the wife of Walter
T. Mitchell, an overseas veteran, and they are now in Prescott, Arizona, where
Mr. Mitchell is recovering from illness contracted during the war. The other
children are all in the home circle and their names are Jane, Ruth, Eloise,
Sarah, James, John and Iola. An adopted son, Roy was killed on the battle front
in France, November 9, 1918, just two days before the signing of the armistice.
Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell are members of the Christian Church and he is a past
grand of the Independent Order of the Odd fellows at Logan, belongs to the Elks
and is a democrat. He resides at 825 Ninth Street, West Huntington, West
Virginia.
Mr. Ferrell at the time of his marriage had a cash capital of $7.55. Out of
this he paid five dollars to the minister for performing the ceremony. They
bought their housekeeping outfit on credit, and restricted themselves to the
essentials, buying only half a set of knives, forks, plates and cups and
saucers. Their bedstead cost $2.50, and it was equipped with a shuck mattress,
while his mother gave them a feather bed. Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell have been real
partners in every phase of their married life. For two years Mr. Ferrell did
the heavy manual toil of the timber work, also worked inside. At that time he
owned four mules, and he would get into the timber with his teams before
daylight and continue until long after dark. Mrs. Ferrell fed the team when he
returned home and also the following morning before he started out. It was as a
result of such co-operation that they got their start.

John A. Mccallister

LOGAN COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: McCALLISTER, John A.
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 23, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 260
Logan County

JOHN A. McCALLISTER is superintendent for the Faulk-
ner Coal Company at Huffco in Logan County. His home
is in Huntington. Mr. McCallister has been acquainted with
practical mining operations for forty years, and his name
is widely and favorably known among the prominent coal
interests represented in the southern part of West Virginia.
The Faulkner Coal Company is one of the operations carried
on by the W. E. Deegans Consolidated Coal Company.

Mr. McCallister was born at Big Sewell Mountain, Fay-
ette County, West Virginia, November 13, 1868, son of
William and Rebecca (Campbell) McCallister. His father
was a farmer and shoemaker, and finally left the farm to
locate at Sewell, a station on the Chesapeake & Ohio Rail-
road. He was a democrat, and with his wife worshiped in
the faith of the Baptist Church. They had ten children,
six sons and four daughters. The son Edward was for
five years foreman of the Paragon Mines on Ram Creek,
and is now a mine foreman in the New River District.

John A. McCallister attended school at Fayette County,
and was only a boy when his parents died. His education
was abbreviated by the necessity of doing something for
his own support. At the age of fourteen he went to work
as a trapper in the mines at Sewell, and his experience in-
cluded bailing water, hauling coal, mule driving, and finally
he was made boss driver, a job he held three years. For
seven years he was a coal loader. Then, after an experi-
ence of a few months in the mines at Jellico, Tennessee,
he became assistant foreman of a mine on Loup Creek,
West Virginia, and from there went to the Paragon Mines
on Ram Creek as foreman. He spent eight years in the
service there and was promoted to superintendent. His
next work was with the E. R. Johnson Coal Company be-
low Peach Creek, on the Guyandotte, as superintendent, and
he was also superintendent of the operations at Peach Creek.
He spent about ten months there, and then became assist-
ant superintendent at Toplin, and in October, 1921, took
up his present duties with the Faulkner Coal Company.

While living at Paragon he was a member of the school
board. Mr. McCallister married in 1898 Hester H. House,
daughter of Robert House. Her father was a native of
England, and Mrs. McCallister was born in West Virginia.
Mr. and Mrs. McCallister have nine living children, three
sons and six daughters. The sons Kenneth G. and John L.
are in the grocery business at Huntington. Mr. and Mrs.
McCallister are Methodists, and fraternally he is affiliated
with Longdale Lodge No. 14, F. and A. M., on Ken-
neys Creek, the Scottish Rite bodies of the Consistory at
Wheeling, the Mystic Shrine of Charleston, the Independ-
ent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. In
politics he is an independent voter.

William T Jones

William T. Jones, of Omar, Logan County, is general manager of large and important coal-mining properties in this district and, though he is still a young man, he has had exceptional wide and varied experience in connection with the coal-producing industry.

Mr. Jones was born in the City of Washington, D.C., on the 14th of May, 1889, and is a son of Richard and Josephine (McAuliffe) Jones, the former a native of the State of Maryland and the latter of the District of Columbia, the father having become a successful and representative wholesale grocery merchant in the national capital.

William T. Jones is indebted to the parochial and public schools of his native city for his early education, which was supplemented by his attending Mount St. Joseph College in the City of Baltimore, Maryland. After leaving this institution he entered the employ of the Union Mining Company at Mount Savage, Maryland, where, as a mining engineer, he assisted in track construction, bedsides serving as assistant mine boss. He continued three years in the employ of this company and thereafter was for a time assistant foreman with the Davis Colliery Company. He next became assistant to A.J. King, who was in the consulting engineering business in Charleston, West Virginia, for 3-1/2 years. He then came to Omar, Logan County, in the capacity of mine inspector and engineer for the Main Island Creek Coal Company. His efficiency led to his advancement of the Coast of superintendent, and in 1919 he was made general manager of all the company’s properties and productive activities in the district, where he is now manager of the Proctor Coal Company, the five Block Coal Company, the Superior Eagle Coal Company, the Middle Fork Mining Company, the Omar Coal Company and the Madison coal Company, in all thirty-one mines, besides which he is vice president of the Chafin, Jones & Heatherman Coal Company of Peach Creek, this county, an operating corporation which made its first shipment of coal (eight cars) on the 1st of March, 1922. Don Chafin is president of this company, and Dr. K.J. Heatherman, secretary, treasurer and general manager. Fidelity as well as ability and effective service have brought about the advancement of Mr. Jones, and he has made and is making a splendid record as one of the world’s productive workers. He and his wife are communicants of the Catholic Church, and he is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

At Charleston, in the year 1817, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Jones and Miss Rose Crump, daughter of James and Mary Crump, both natives of West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have two daughters: Josephine and Mary Jane.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 367 & 368

Submitted by Tina Hursh August 15, 2000