Category Archives: Logan

Frederick Lutwyche Round

FREDERICK LUTWYCHE ROUND, M. D. Reared in several of the great industrial communities of Pennsylvania, Doctor Round learned the machinist’s trade, but left that to train himself for the profession of medicine and surgery, and for the past twenty years has been one of the busy men in his profession in Southern West Virginia. Most of his work has been in the mining district and as a mine physician, and his present location is at Monaville in Logan County, on the Omar branch of the Chesapeake & Ohio.

Doctor Round was born in the City of Birmingham, Eng- land, May 31, 1872, son of Frederick and Arabella (Lut- wyche) Round, both natives of England and of English ancestry. In 1873, when Doctor Round was about a year old, the family came to the United States and settled at Pottsville, Pennsylvania. In 1880 they removed to North Umberland, Pennsylvania, in 1883 to Sunbury and in 1889 to Danville. Later they again lived at Sunbury. Frederick Round became a prominent man in the iron and steel indus- try of Pennsylvania. For a time he was general bookkeeper of the Pottsville Iron and Steel Company, was connected with the Van Allen Nail Works at North Umberland, the Montour Iron and Steel Company, was manager of the Danville Nail Works, and subsequently was general manager of the Sunbury Nail Works. He was a vestryman in the Episcopal Church, and at the time of his death was registrar of his diocese. Fraternally he was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Frederick Lutwyche Round was reared and attended schools in the several Pennsylvania cities above named. He was in high school at Sunbury, and on leaving high school began an apprenticeship in a machine shop at Danville owned by the Montour Iron and Steel Company. He served the apprenticeship for four years, but followed the trade eight years. In 1897 he took up the study of medicine under Doctor Paules of Danville, and later entered the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, where he gradu- ated M. D. in May, 1902. In search of a field for his pro- fessional work he came to Big Sandy, West Virginia, in November, 1902, was located there about a year, and for ten years was in practice at Davy. For two years his home and professional work were in Huntington, West Virginia, and then after a year at Wilcoe he located at Monaville, and for the past five years has been mine physician for the Island Creek Coal Company. He is a member of the various medical societies, and one of the leaders in his profession.

In 1908, at Bluefield, West Virginia, Doctor Round mar- ried Miss Minnie E. Fortner, of Davy, daughter of William and Octava (Darr) Fortner, both natives of Virginia. Her father was a Confederate soldier in the Civil war, and aside from his military experience his life was spent as a farmer. Doctor and Mrs. Round have two children, Virginia Arabella and Frederick William. Mrs. Round is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, while he returns the faith in which he was reared in the Episcopal Church. Doctor Round is a Royal Arch and Scottish Rite Mason.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 456-457
Logan

Submitted by Valerie Crook vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 5, 2000

Benjamin B. Wilson

BENJAMIN B. WILSON. For a man of his years Benjamin
B. Wilson has had an unusual series of responsibilities in
the coal mining industry. He comes of a family of miners
and coal operators, and has had personal experience in nearly
every branch of the industry. He is now superintendent of
the C. J. H. Coal Company at Peach Creek in Logan County.
This mine was opened recently, and all its modern equip-
ment was installed under his supervision.

Mr. Wilson was born on a farm at Covington in Tioga
County, Pennsylvania, December 11, 1884, son of Thomas
and Jennet (Clendening) Wilson. His father was born in
the North of Ireland, and was two years of age when
brought to the United States. The mother was born in
Scotland, and was a young girl when her people came here.
She is now living, at the age of seventy-eight, at Logan,
West Virginia. Thomas Wilson, who died in Pennsylvania
in 1894, at the age of sixty-eight, was at that time a
resident of Clearfield County. He was a farmer, was a
miner and mine superintendent, and inherited that voca-
tion from his father before him. Thomas Wilson was a
Federal soldier in the famous Bucktail Regiment of Penn-
sylvania, and served three years, rising to the rank of
lieutenant. He was in several of the Virginia campaigns,
and also at the battle of Gettysburg, and was twice wounded.
He voted as a republican, was a member of the Presby-
terian Church, and was affiliated with the Masonic Order,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias.
Thomas Wilson had a family of seventeen children, five of
whom are still living: H. T., president of the H. T. Wilson
Coal Company, with mines near Logan, and he was a pioneer
in the coal industry in this section of the state, being first
interested at Dingess in Mingo County. His home is in
Cleveland. Ella Wilson is the wife of Andrew Mitchell, a
mine foreman for the Wilson Coal Company. Mary is the
wife of Arthur Evans, a miner and farmer at Glenrichey,
Pennsylvania. Thomas, the youngest of the family, is sales
agent for the Wilson Coal Company at Detroit.

Benjamin B. Wilson attended school in Tioga County and
also the Mansfield High School. He completed his educa-
tion at the age of seventeen, and at the age of eighteen
became a mule driver in a Pennsylvania mine. In 1901 he
came to H. T. Wilson’s operation known as the Camp Branch
Coal Company at Dingess. While there he kept store and
was general utility man for three years. He then returned
to the mines in Pennsylvania, but a year later reached Logan
County, West Virginia, as mine foreman for the Draper
Coal Company. He held that position five years, and for
two years was mine foreman and six years superintendent
for the H. T. Wilson Coal Company. His next work was as
superintendent of mines numbered 7, 9. 14 and 15 for the
Main Island Creek Coal Company at Omar. He left that
work just seven months before opening the C. J. H. Mine.
That seven months he spent in the business of writing in-
surance for the West Virginia and Kentucky Insurance
Company.

In 1910 he married Julia McDonald, daughter of Bryant
McDonaId, a pioneer family in the Guyandotte Valley. She
was born near the mine location of the C. J. H. Coal Com-
pany, at the mouth of Peach Creek. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson
have two children, Thomas and Francis. Mrs. Wilson is a
member of the Baptist Church. He is a Master Mason and
an Elk.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 472
Logan

Submitted by:
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 9, 2000

James O. Hill

James O. Hill, M.D., has been engaged in the successful practice of his profession at Logan, county seat of Logan County, since 1912, and has specialized in obstetrics and the diseases of children. He was born on his father’s farm in Putnam County, this state, May 20, 1881, and is a son of George F. and Nancy S. (Bailey) Hill, the former of whom was born in what is now West Virginia and the latter in Virginia. She was nine years of age when her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Bailey, came to West Virginia, about 1867, and established their home in Putnam County, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Tradition in the Hill family is to the effect that three brothers of the name came to this country from their native Ireland and first made their way to Pennsylvania, whence they continued their journey by boat down the Ohio River to what is now Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Two of the brothers continued their way and supposedly settled in the eastern part of Virginia, the one who remained in what is now west Virginia having been the ancestor of the subject of this review. The father of Doctor Hill served many years as a member of the School board of his district, was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and both he and his wife became specially earnest and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Doctor Hill acquired his earlier education in the public schools of Putnam and Jackson counties, later continued his studies in Marras & Harvey College, at Barboursville, and in 1912 graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky, in the meanwhile having there gained valuable experience by serving one years as a hospital interne. In the year in which he thus received his degree of Doctor of Medicine he established his home at Logan, and here has developed a large and representative practice of general order, with special attention given to obstetrics and diseases of children, in which department of practice he has gained high reputation. In 1915 and 1917 the Doctor did effective advance work in the Post-Graduate Medical College in the City of New York. In the World was period he served as a member of the Medical Examining Board that had charge of examination of recruited soldiers in Logan County, and was active and influential in furthering the success of the local dries in support of the Government was loans, Red Cross work, etc. He is actively identified with the Logan County Medical Society and the West Virginia State Medical Society, has received the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite of the Masonic fraternity, besides being a noble of the Mystic Shrine, and he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

The year 1914 recorded at Loan the marriage of Doctor Hill and Miss Lena Ferrell, daughter of Anthony and Elizabeth (Mullins) Ferrell, both natives of West Virginia and both still residents of Logan County. Doctor and Mrs. Hill have two daughters: Elizabeth Ann and Nancy Susan.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 368

Submitted by Tina Hursh Sept. 23, 2000

John F. Ferrell

LOGAN COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
“John “Bill” Wheeler”
wheeler@gru.net
December 6, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia. Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume ll.,
pg. 111

John F. Ferrell. An interesting example of the power of hard work and
continuous energy in molding the destiny of the individual and also of other
persons and affairs around him is the career of John F. Ferrell, of Logan. The
sphere of his activities has been the timber and lumber industry. There was
probably no part of the heavy labor involved in logging among these West
Virginia hills which escaped his early experience. It is literally true that he
has come up from the ranks to the present responsibilities as general manager
and one of the owners of the Logan Planing Mill, one of the largest industries
of its kind in this part of the state.
Mr. Ferrell was born at his father’s farm at Chapmanville, April 28, 1878,
son of B.C. and Sarah (Dingess) Ferrell. His mother, who is still living, at the
age of sixty-six, was born on Crawley Creek, six miles from Chapmanville,
daughter of John Dingess, a native of the same locality who died while a soldier
in the confederate Army. At one time the Dingess family owned all the land from
the present location of Logan to the mouth of Big Creek. B.C. Ferrell, who died
in January, 1909, at the age of fifty-five, was born at Chapmanville, son of
Samuel Ferrell. who came from Russell County, Virginia, in 1841, and acquired a
large amount of valuable land in these valleys. The original homestead of the
Ferrells is still owned in the family. Samuel Ferrell was opposed to slavery,
was a consistent member of the Christian Church, and the camp meeting grounds
of that denomination were on his land. He was a strong republican. B.C. Ferrell
was a farmer, stock raiser and dealer. and before the days of railroads he
drove his stock over the mountains to market in Roane County. He was a member of
the Christian Church and was a democrat. Samuel Ferrell had a family of five
sons and one daughter. Besides B.C. another son, Squire died at the age of sixty
years. The three living sons are O.F.,L.B., and R.L., and the daughter, Nancy
Jane, is the wife of John Godby, all prosperous farmers. B.C. Ferrell and wife
had a large family of sons and daughters; John F., the oldest; Roxie, wife of
O.C. Winter of Huntington a traveling salesman; W.V., at the old home place;
Sarah Ann, who died at the age of fifteen; Wallace E., traveling representative
for the Logan Planing Mill and a resident of Huntington; Mary, wife of A.S.
Christian, living at the old Dingess place at the mouth Crawley Creek; Belle,
wife of Kyler Porter, an operator for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad at
Chapmanville; Peter M., living with his mother at Chapmanville; and Julia, who
died at the age of three.
John F. Ferrell grew up at Chapmanville, acquired his early schooling there,
but his better education has been achieved since he married and is due to his
application to business and also to studies taken up and carried on in the
intervals of other work. He was only fifteen when he went to work in the timber,
felling trees, sawing the logs, and his own labor has helped remove the timber
from extensive portions from Elk Creek and Big Ugly Creek. Mr. Ferrell has
owned probably twenty saw mills, and during the period of the great war he
operated five mills of his own. The company owning and operating the Logan
Planing Mill was organized January 11, 1916, and acquired the property formerly
known as the Lawson Planing Mill. Mr. Ferrell from the first has been active
manager of the plant. They are manufacturers of building material, consisting of
yellow pine from the long leafed district of the South, fir and fruit from the
Northeast, and also native timber. While much of the output is consumed locally,
this is one of the firms that do a heavy export business, selling export as far
away as Australia.
Mr. Ferrell while a member and chairman of the School Board in Chapmanville
District was certainly responsible in no small degree for the fine schools
established and maintained there. On May 9. 1899, at the age of twenty-one, he
married Miss Dekia Garrett, daughter of Rev. W.G. Garrett, who was a widely
known minister of the Christian Church in this section. Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell
are the parents of eight children. The daughter Garrett is the wife of Walter
T. Mitchell, an overseas veteran, and they are now in Prescott, Arizona, where
Mr. Mitchell is recovering from illness contracted during the war. The other
children are all in the home circle and their names are Jane, Ruth, Eloise,
Sarah, James, John and Iola. An adopted son, Roy was killed on the battle front
in France, November 9, 1918, just two days before the signing of the armistice.
Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell are members of the Christian Church and he is a past
grand of the Independent Order of the Odd fellows at Logan, belongs to the Elks
and is a democrat. He resides at 825 Ninth Street, West Huntington, West
Virginia.
Mr. Ferrell at the time of his marriage had a cash capital of $7.55. Out of
this he paid five dollars to the minister for performing the ceremony. They
bought their housekeeping outfit on credit, and restricted themselves to the
essentials, buying only half a set of knives, forks, plates and cups and
saucers. Their bedstead cost $2.50, and it was equipped with a shuck mattress,
while his mother gave them a feather bed. Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell have been real
partners in every phase of their married life. For two years Mr. Ferrell did
the heavy manual toil of the timber work, also worked inside. At that time he
owned four mules, and he would get into the timber with his teams before
daylight and continue until long after dark. Mrs. Ferrell fed the team when he
returned home and also the following morning before he started out. It was as a
result of such co-operation that they got their start.

John A. Mccallister

LOGAN COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: McCALLISTER, John A.
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 23, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 260
Logan County

JOHN A. McCALLISTER is superintendent for the Faulk-
ner Coal Company at Huffco in Logan County. His home
is in Huntington. Mr. McCallister has been acquainted with
practical mining operations for forty years, and his name
is widely and favorably known among the prominent coal
interests represented in the southern part of West Virginia.
The Faulkner Coal Company is one of the operations carried
on by the W. E. Deegans Consolidated Coal Company.

Mr. McCallister was born at Big Sewell Mountain, Fay-
ette County, West Virginia, November 13, 1868, son of
William and Rebecca (Campbell) McCallister. His father
was a farmer and shoemaker, and finally left the farm to
locate at Sewell, a station on the Chesapeake & Ohio Rail-
road. He was a democrat, and with his wife worshiped in
the faith of the Baptist Church. They had ten children,
six sons and four daughters. The son Edward was for
five years foreman of the Paragon Mines on Ram Creek,
and is now a mine foreman in the New River District.

John A. McCallister attended school at Fayette County,
and was only a boy when his parents died. His education
was abbreviated by the necessity of doing something for
his own support. At the age of fourteen he went to work
as a trapper in the mines at Sewell, and his experience in-
cluded bailing water, hauling coal, mule driving, and finally
he was made boss driver, a job he held three years. For
seven years he was a coal loader. Then, after an experi-
ence of a few months in the mines at Jellico, Tennessee,
he became assistant foreman of a mine on Loup Creek,
West Virginia, and from there went to the Paragon Mines
on Ram Creek as foreman. He spent eight years in the
service there and was promoted to superintendent. His
next work was with the E. R. Johnson Coal Company be-
low Peach Creek, on the Guyandotte, as superintendent, and
he was also superintendent of the operations at Peach Creek.
He spent about ten months there, and then became assist-
ant superintendent at Toplin, and in October, 1921, took
up his present duties with the Faulkner Coal Company.

While living at Paragon he was a member of the school
board. Mr. McCallister married in 1898 Hester H. House,
daughter of Robert House. Her father was a native of
England, and Mrs. McCallister was born in West Virginia.
Mr. and Mrs. McCallister have nine living children, three
sons and six daughters. The sons Kenneth G. and John L.
are in the grocery business at Huntington. Mr. and Mrs.
McCallister are Methodists, and fraternally he is affiliated
with Longdale Lodge No. 14, F. and A. M., on Ken-
neys Creek, the Scottish Rite bodies of the Consistory at
Wheeling, the Mystic Shrine of Charleston, the Independ-
ent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. In
politics he is an independent voter.

William T Jones

William T. Jones, of Omar, Logan County, is general manager of large and important coal-mining properties in this district and, though he is still a young man, he has had exceptional wide and varied experience in connection with the coal-producing industry.

Mr. Jones was born in the City of Washington, D.C., on the 14th of May, 1889, and is a son of Richard and Josephine (McAuliffe) Jones, the former a native of the State of Maryland and the latter of the District of Columbia, the father having become a successful and representative wholesale grocery merchant in the national capital.

William T. Jones is indebted to the parochial and public schools of his native city for his early education, which was supplemented by his attending Mount St. Joseph College in the City of Baltimore, Maryland. After leaving this institution he entered the employ of the Union Mining Company at Mount Savage, Maryland, where, as a mining engineer, he assisted in track construction, bedsides serving as assistant mine boss. He continued three years in the employ of this company and thereafter was for a time assistant foreman with the Davis Colliery Company. He next became assistant to A.J. King, who was in the consulting engineering business in Charleston, West Virginia, for 3-1/2 years. He then came to Omar, Logan County, in the capacity of mine inspector and engineer for the Main Island Creek Coal Company. His efficiency led to his advancement of the Coast of superintendent, and in 1919 he was made general manager of all the company’s properties and productive activities in the district, where he is now manager of the Proctor Coal Company, the five Block Coal Company, the Superior Eagle Coal Company, the Middle Fork Mining Company, the Omar Coal Company and the Madison coal Company, in all thirty-one mines, besides which he is vice president of the Chafin, Jones & Heatherman Coal Company of Peach Creek, this county, an operating corporation which made its first shipment of coal (eight cars) on the 1st of March, 1922. Don Chafin is president of this company, and Dr. K.J. Heatherman, secretary, treasurer and general manager. Fidelity as well as ability and effective service have brought about the advancement of Mr. Jones, and he has made and is making a splendid record as one of the world’s productive workers. He and his wife are communicants of the Catholic Church, and he is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

At Charleston, in the year 1817, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Jones and Miss Rose Crump, daughter of James and Mary Crump, both natives of West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have two daughters: Josephine and Mary Jane.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 367 & 368

Submitted by Tina Hursh August 15, 2000

Myrtle Lilly Hager Acord

Biography of Myrtle Lilly Hager Acord

She was born January 1,1929 at Kistler, Logan County, West Virginia on what my
grandmother said was the biggest snow and was the coldest it had been in many years.

She is the daughter of Watson Riley Hager and Sylvia Belle Davidson Hager.

Her paternal grandparents are Claibourne G. Hager and Arabess (Arispie) Price.

Maternal grandparents are Blevins Davidson and Ellen Romaine Potter Davidson.

She grew up in Logan County,West Virginia on Buffalo Creek.

She came to live in Oceana,Wyoming County, West Virginia and that is where she met
Robert Lee Acord Jr in 1944 in Oceana and the married 3 months later in Oceana on
December 21, 1944 where they made their home.

To this marriage were born 8 children 7 daughters and 1 son. The 3 oldest daughters
still live in Oceana. Their children are as follows, Sylvia Acord Bragg,Betty Acord
Goodwin,,Myrna Acord Walker,Nancy Acord Paynter,Virginia Acord Gladden Bradley,Stallie
Acord Sheppard Allen,Robert Edward Acord,Mary Acord George Hood Bradley Lundy.

She loved the beach and enjoyed going to Myrtle Beach,South Carolina she always joked
about it she said it was named after her.Mom was a very happy person always laughing
she had a beautiful smile and her eyes just had a twinkle of mischief to them. When I
slip on a long sleeve blouse at times its as if Moms hands are coming through the sleeve.
She was very sick the last 7 years of her life as she had diabetes and was insulin dependant
for 20 years ,the last seven years she spent in a wheel chair.

Myrtle Lilly Hager Acord lived in Oceana until her death at the age of 65 years. February
21,1994 in Beckley, Raleigh County, West Virginia as her husband had died 26 years before
her she was laid to rest beside him on what would have been his 74th birthday in Palm Memorial
Gardens ,Matheny West Virginia

Submitted by her daughter, Sylvia Acord Bragg.

Barney L. Kidd

BARNEY L. KIDD is one of the prominent young busi- ness men of Logan County, and at the age of thirty has attained business responsibilities that would do credit to a man much older. His experience has been almost altogether in the lumbering industry, and he is superintendent of two large plants in this typical coal field of Southern West Vir- ginia. He was born at St. Albans, Kanawha County, West Vir- ginia, April 6, 1891, son of T. J. and Mary A. (Thomas) Kidd. His grandfather was a native of old Virginia and of French ancestry, while his mother’s people were English. Both parents were born in West Virginia, and his father has been active in the lumber business in Fayette County, and in the various localities where he has lived has always taken a great interest in public affairs. He has served as a school trustee, is a member of the Masonic Order, and is a leader in the Baptist Church, acting for years as superintendent of the Sunday school. Barney L. Kidd attended common schools in Kanawha County and in several other counties, and graduated in 1909 at the Mountain State Business College at Parkers- burg. After a few months employment in a law office he began his active experience in the lumber business with the Boone Timber Company at Clothier, West Virginia. He was chief inspector for that firm for two and one-half years, was then inspector for two years, with headquarters at Huntington, for the Peytona Lumber Company, was in- spector at Accoville about two and one-half years, and then came to his present location at Omar in Logan County, where he is superintendent of the company’s operations, comprising two complete sawmills, planing mill, dry kilns and flooring plant. One complete sawmill is located at Christian in Logan County. The mills have a capacity of about 65,000 feet of finished product daily. This product is shipped from the plants to various points throughout the United States. Mr. Kidd married in 1913, at Pomeroy, Ohio, Miss Ruth Martin, daughter of James A. and Mary Martin. Her par- ents were both born in West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Kidd have two children, Geraldine Martin and Dona Gene. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 370
Logan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Submitted by Valerie Crook
March 21, 2000
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alfred D. Callihan

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 137

ALFRED D. CALLIHAN. A brief outline of the personal career of Alfred D. Callihan recalls a number of the de- velopments in the mining district of Southern West Vir- ginia during the past thirty years. His intimate association with the coal interests of the state began in the New River field during the construction of the Chesapeake & Ohio Rail- road there in 1891. Mr. Callihan, whose home is at 713 Tenth Street, Huntington, is superintendent of the Paragon Colliery Company at Yolyn, Logan County.

Mr. Callihan was born at Greenup, Kentucky, October 3, 1872, son of Daniel and Sallie (Willis) Callihan, both na- tives of Greenup County. His father was born in 1814 and died in 1892. The mother died July 20, 1920, at the age of eighty-six. Daniel Callihan was a farmer and country mer- chant, was a republican in politics and was a Methodist, while his wife was a Baptist.

Alfred D. Callihan, fifth in a family of seven children, attended school at Greenup until he was about eighteen years of age. At that time he entered the service of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Company as a water boy dur- ing construction work on the Eastern Cincinnati Division. Soon afterward he was in the train service in West Vir- ginia, in the yards at Sewell, and there came successive promotions to more responsible work, leading from bill clerk to train master and the operation of trains over all the branches of the Chesapeake & Ohio leading into the va- rious coal fields.

In 1897 Mr. Callihan became associated with coal pro- duction with the McDonald Colliery Company at McDonald and the Cranberry Fuel Company, being superintendent of both properties. In 1908 he took charge as superintend- ent of the White Oak Railroad and the Piney River and Paint Creek Road as joint superintendent for the Virgin- ian Railroad Company and the Chesapeake & Ohio. While performing these duties his home was at Oak Hill.

In 1915 he took over the management of the Guyan Val- ley Coal Company at Crown in Logan County. This sub- sequently became the property of the W. E. Deegans in- terests. Then, in 1920, Mr. Callihan came to Yolyn in charge of Paragon Mines Nos. 1 and 2. This is likewise Deegans property.

In 1902 Mr. Callihan married Janie Dixon, daughter of S. Dixon, of Price Hill, Raleigh County. They have a son, Dixon. Mr. and Mrs. Callihan are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Huntington. He is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge at McDonald, the Royal Arch Chapter and Knight Templar Commandery at Huntington, the Shrine at Charleston, and in politics he is a repub- lican.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Submitted by Valerie Crook March 18, 2000
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John F. May

John F. May, M.D.- Logan Co.

John F. May M.D. All the years of his active life Doctor May has been identified with some work that has a vital part in the welfare of his community. He was a teacher for many years, later took up and studied medicine, and after practicing some years in his native state of Kentucky moved to West Virginia, and has been one of the leading mine physicians of Logan County. His present location is at Rossmore in that county, on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad branch from Logan to Omar.

He was born in Johnson County, Kentucky, September 9, 1869. His family established themselves in the Big Sandy Valley in Eastern Kentucky more than a century ago. His great-grandfather left old Virginia in 1810, and while coming down the Big Sandy found at the mouth of Middle Creek what seemed to him an ideal place for a home with abundance of game to supply him with food. He took up his claim there, and lived in that locality until his death. The grandfather of Doctor May was prominent in politics and a power in that community. He died in 1855. Doctor May is a son of Thomas Green and Martha (Rice) May, both natives of Kentucky. His father was a farmer and stock man, was a deacon in the Baptist Church and a member of the Masonic Order. He had a brother in the civil war.

John F. May attended common schools in Johnson Co., also the Baptist Seminary, known as the Enterprise High School, and soon afterward began his work as a school teacher, a vocation he followed for seventeen years. While teaching he pursued normal cources, and finally, in 1902, he took up the study of medicine in the University of Kentucky at Louisville, where he graduated M.D. in 1905. During the following five years Doctor May practiced in Boyd Co., Kentucky, at Princess Post Office. Since then his professional work has been in Logan Co., West Virginia. For eight years he practiced at Ethel and in the City of Logan, and for two years was associated with Doctor Farley at Holden. Since December, 1921, he has been located at Rossmore as physician for the Logan Mining Company and the Switizer Coal Company.

In 1891, at Flat Gap, Kentucky, Doctor May married Miss Charlotte Seagraves, daughter of E. G. and Sarah (Gray) Seagraves, her father a native of Kentucky and her mother of Tennessee. E.G. Seagraves for twenty years was a school teacher and was also a farmer and merchant. Doctor and Mrs. May have one child, Grace May, now Mrs. Lucian Adkins. She and her two children, Frank and Charles reside with Doctor May. Doctor May is a Baptist, is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner and a republican.

History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago & New York, Volume 111
Page 370

Joan Wyatt
mewyatt@uakron.edu
March 24, 2000