Category Archives: Lewis

Thomas W. Harrison

LEWIS COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 333

THOMAS W. HARRISON has given a good account of his
active years as a prosperous and progressive farmer of
Lewis County, still owns a farm, but is now practically
retired and enjoys the comforts of a good town home at
Weston.

He was born at Weston August 15, 1854, son of Mathew
W. and Sarah L. (Hoffman) Harrison, his father born
in Clarksburg in 1825 and his mother at Weston in 1828.
Mathew Harrison was reared and educated in Clarksburg,
studied for the law, and for many years practiced his
profession in Weston. He was also vice president of the
National Exchange Bank and was treasurer of the State
Hospital at Weston from 1856 until he resigned a short
time before his death. He was also treasurer and pay-
master of the Baltimore & Ohio Railway. He was con-
sidered one of the wealthy men of the county and left
a large estate. He was a democrat and served in the
Legislature one term. His wife was a member of the
Episcopal Church. These parents had seven children, and
the five now living are: Thomas W.; Mary, wife of A. A.
Warren; R. H., a farmer at Weston; Emma, wife of James
Ealston; Anna M., wife of E. G. Davisson.

Thomas W. Harrison grew up at Weston, attended the
public schools there, had a good business training under
his father, and while identified to some extent with com-
mercial lines his main work has been farming.

On April 22, 1890, he married Genevieve Ralston, who
was born at Weston July 11, 1867, daughter of Er and
Matilda (Bailey) Ralston. Mrs. Harrison was educated
in Weston in private schools, and attended a musical con-
servatory at Warren, Ohio.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Harrison moved
to a farm two miles east of Weston, and lived in the
country until 1918, when they returned to Weston. Mr.
Harrison had a place of 451 acres, but has since sold part
of it and uses the remainder chiefly for the grazing of
cattle. He has been an interested worker in the demo-
cratic party of the county, and at one time was nominee
for the County Court. He is affiliated with the Ancient
Order of United Workmen, the Modern Woodmen of
America and Weston Lodge No. 43, Knights of Pythias.
He and his wife belong to the Episcopal Church.

They are the parents of a family of ten children, nine
living. Ernestine E. was educated by private tutor and
is now superintendent of the West Virginia Children’s Home
at Elkins. Mary M. is the wife of Dr. John Owens, an
army surgeon; Mathew W., a graduate of the Weston High
School, enlisted and served as a private during the World
war, going overseas with the Eighty-third Division, and
later being assigned to the Third Division and was on
front line duty for three months, being wounded in the
Argonne Forest. He is now a student of agriculture in
the West Virginia State University. Eva E. is a graduate
of the Weston High School and of the Mountain State
Business College at Parkersbnrg. The younger children
are: Genevieve, a graduate of the Weston High School;
Thomas W., Jr., also a graduate of the Weston High
School; William E., deceased; Sallie, in the senior class;
Fannie E., in the sophomore class in High School; and
Gertrude in the seventh grade of the grammar school.

Jesse H. Teter

LEWIS COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: TETER, Jesse H.
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 279
Lewis County

JESSE H. TETER is one of the well known citizens of
Lewis County, now a retired farmer, but gave up his active
vocation and responsibilities as a farmer only after forty
years of successful effort.

He was born in Harrison County, January 17, 1856, son
of David and Asenath (Lang) Teter. His parents were
also natives of Harrison County, where his father was
born in November, 1830, and his mother in December, 1820.
After their marriage they lived in Harrison County for a
number of years, owning and selling two farms there,
and in 1872 removed to Lewis County, where David Teter
bought a place, of 530 acres on Murphy’s Creek. He was
very successful in all agricultural matters and also a man
of prominence in public affairs. He at one time was super-
intendent of the County Farm for Lewis County. He was
a republican and a member of the Masonic Lodge. His
three children were Jesse H., Margaret, wife of E. C.
Fisher, of Lewis County, and Philander K., of Weston.

Jesse H. Teter was sixteen years of age when the family
came to Lewis County, and his education was acquired
in the common schools of Harrison County. For a number
of years he was practically manager of his father’s farm
while David Teter was county superintendent of the County
Farm, and at his father’s death he succeeded to that public
post of responsibility. He received as his share 216 acres
of the old homestead, and he accumulated a fine property
and a competence which enabled him to retire from the
farm to Weston in September, 1914.

On February 27, 1878, Mr. Teter married Florence Turner.
Two children were born to their marriage. One died at
the age of two, and Miss Mamie, born in May, 1902, is
still at home.

Mr. Teter is a member of Weston Lodge, No. 43, Knights
of Pythias, and is a republican in politics.