Category Archives: Jackson

Webster Wadsworth Waugh

JACKSON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
July 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 469

WEBSTER WADSWORTH WAUGH. Substantially identified
with the business affairs of Ripley as an automobile
dealer, Mr. Waugh is an expert in all the mechanics of
automotive engineering, and is a young man who has had
a remarkably broad range of experience in practical
affairs.

He was born near Kenna in Jackson County, February
26, 1886. His grandfather, Arthur Waugh, was a native
of old Virginia. He was a physician and surgeon, a
pioneer of his profession at Given, West Virginia, and
later removed to Mason County, where he practiced as
one of the leading doctors of his community until he died
in 1863, his death being the result of a kick from a
horse. His first wife, and the grandmother of W. W.
Waugh, was Miss Boswell, who was born in old Virginia
and died at Given, West Virginia, in 1854, at the birth of
her son Samuel G. A. Waugh. Samuel G. A. Waugh was
born in Jackson County, April 17, 1854, and has spent
his life in this county, though for several years his
father lived in Mason County. His activities have been
those of a farmer, and for a number of years he also
taught in the rural schools of Jackson County. He and
his son Webster W. now own together a farm on Thir-
teen Mile Creek. He is a republican, has served as
constable of Ripley District four years, is a member of
Ripley Lodge No. 16, A. F. and A. M., and was formerly
active in the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias and at
one time was an organizer of Odd Fellows lodges. Samuel
G. A. Waugh married Elizabeth Brotherton, who was
born in Jackson County in 1862. The oldest of their
children, Edie, died in childhood; Felicia D. is a teacher
in the rural schools of Jackson Cornnty and the widow
of Matt Bucklew, a farmer who died as the result of
accidental injuries; Onie, who died young; Amy, wife
of Jesse Bass, a traveling salesman living in Mason
County; William O’Connor, who was head electrician
for the Scioto Stone Company at Columbus, Ohio, and was
accidentally killed in a stone quarry at the age of thirty-
four; Webster W.; Edgar, who died at the age of sixteen;
Mamie, wife of Lloyd Crane, a farmer near Fairplain in
Jackson County; Lilie, wife of Hollie Parsons, a farmer
on Parchment Creek, Jackson County; Clarmont Howard,
an automobile mechanic employed in the wrecking room
of the Ford Automobile Company at Columbus, Ohio;
Harry, a farmer at Given in Jackson County; Beulah
and Bernice, twins, the former at home and the latter
dying in infancy.

Webster W. Waugh spent the first sixteen years of his
life on his father’s farm. Besides making use of the
advantages of the common schools he has perfected his
varied knowledge through extensive experience and read-
ing and study at home. After leaving home he worked
three years in Ohio for the Toledo & Ohio-Central,
Kanawha & Michigan and the Hocking Valley railroads,
for two months was at work for the Coal & Coke Rail-
road at Charleston, West Virginia, for three months fired
a stationary boiler for a tunnel company at Gassaway,
West Virginia, for three months was a stone chipper on
a lock on the Cayahoga River in Ohio, then foreman of
a stripping gang in a quarry at Columbus four months,
and for two years was a municipal employe at Columbus
doing landscape wort and tree pruning. He then changed
scenes by going to the Pacific Northwest, and for three
months drove a delivery wagon in Spokane. For two
months he ran a concrete mixer at Tulsa, Oklahoma, and
on returning to Columbus, Ohio, was car repairer in
stone quarries six months, and for three months was
employed in curing tires in the Diamond Rubber Com-
pany’s works at Akron. Following that he returned
home, and for six months operated the home farm on
Thirteen Mile Creek. He was next fireman on a steam
shovel at Columbus nine months, then operated a crane
for a sand and gravel company at Columbus six months,
and craned a shovel at Pickaway, Ohio, five months and
worked on general repairs for the Marble Cliff Quarry
Company at Columbus two years. He then took another
job craning a shovel at Connellsville, Pennsylvania, two
months, following which he operated a shovel at West
Pittsburgh eight months. This brings his record down to
1916. For seven months following he was master me-
chanic on a concrete job at Kensington, Ohio. For about
a year after that Mr. Waugh operated a farm on Parch-
ment Creek in his home county, and after a seven weeks’
course in the Y. M. C. A. Automobile School in Columbus
he was granted a diploma and in April, 1919, entered
the automobile business at Ripley, associated with A. S.
McCoy in the ownership of a public garage on Court
Street. This firm sells and repairs automobiles and
handles automobile accessories, and has the leading busi-
ness of the kind in this part of Jackson County.

Mr. Waugh owns his home on Court Street. He is a
republican and a member of Ivory Lodge No. 394, F.
and A. M., at Hillyard, Ohio. May 9, 1915, at Given, he
married Miss Ina Myrtle Maddox, daughter of Charles
D. and Belle (Hill) Maddox, farmers near Givens.

Fred D. Wolfe

JACKSON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
July 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 469-470

FRED D. WOLFE spent many years as a farmer and teacher
in West Virginia, but in recent years has found pleasant
and congenial responsibilities as editor and publisher of
The Mountaineer at Ripley, one of the three newspapers
of Jackson County and the official organ of the demo-
cratic party for the county.

Mr. Wolfe was born at Given in Jackson County, De-
cember 14, 1879. The Wolfe family is of English an-
cestry. His grandfather, Abraham Wolfe, was born in
Lewis County, West Virginia, in 1806, and as a young
man removed to the Given community of Jackson County,
where he spent his active life as a farmer and where he
died in 1899. At Given he married Miss Mary Boswell.
They were the parents of ten children, and those now
living are: Nehemiah S.; Margaret, wife of Levi Moore,
a farmer at Given; and Abraham, a farmer at Given.

Nehemiah S. Wolfe has spent all his active life as a
successful farmer at Given, where he was born February 14,
1838, but since 1919 has lived retired at Ripley with his
son Fred. He is a democrat, and is affiliated with R. S.
Brown Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Rock
Castle. Nehemiah Wolfe married Victoria C. Smith, who was
born at Letart, Ohio, in 1841 and died at Given in 1913.
She represented a very historical family, being a great-
granddaughter of Gen. Andrew Lewis. Gen. Andrew Lewis
was one of the sons of John A. Lewis, a Scotch-Irishman
who came from Ireland to America in Colonial times. John
A Lewis married Lady Lynn. They lived on the frontier
in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. It was Lady Lynn
Lewis who was the distinguished heroine of the frontier
who dismissed her four sons with the words “Go, keep back
the foot of the invader or see my face no more,” and these
sons all bore an honorable share in the struggle for inde-
pendence. The sons Gen. Andrew Lewis and Charles Lewis
were officers in the battle of Point Pleasant on October 10,
1774, a battle that many historians claim marked the begin-
ning of the Revolutionary war. Nehemiah Wolfe and wife
had the following children: Cora, who died at Fairplain,
wife of Benjamin F. Crites, now a merchant at Ripley;
Austin Monroe, a farmer at Given; Edward L., a merchant
at Dunbar in Kanawha County; Clinton, who was an at-
torney and died at Ripley in 1900; Lewis V., a merchant
at Dunbar; Fred D.; Helen, wife of Luther A. Parsons,
a farmer at Alice, Ohio; and Mary Augusta, wife of Alva
Moore, a boiler maker living at Macon, Georgia.

Fred D. Wolfe attended the rural schools of Jackson
County and the Ohio Valley College at Ravenswood to the
age of nineteen. For the first thirty-four years of his life
he made his home on his father’s farm. His work as a
teacher was begun in the Given school when he was eighteen.
He taught in that school four years, and his record as
an educator is spread over a period of nineteen years, during
which time he taught in Jackson, Tyler, Logan, Mingo,
Kanawha and Putnam counties. In 1917 Mr. Wolfe went
on the road as traveling representative for the Dana
Grocery Company of Ripley and for two years sold goods
in portions of Mason, Jackson and Roane counties.

November 17, 1919, he accepted the post of editor and
manager of The Mountaineer at Ripley. This paper was
established in 1892, and is a well edited journal, circulated
in most of the homes of Jackson and surrounding counties,
and is owned by The Mountaineer Company, the plant and
offices being on Front Street in Ripley. W. L. Y. Currey,
of Sandyville, is president; Kenna K. Hyre, of Ripley, is
secretary; while the editor and publisher is Fred D. Wolfe.

Mr. Wolfe is a democrat, a member of Ripley Lodge
No. 16, A. F. and A. M., and a past chancellor of Walker
Wright Lodge No. 95, Knights of Pythias. During the
war he sustained his share of activities in behalf of the
various drives, and personally he tried to enlist at Parkers-
burg, but was rejected partly on account of his age and
partly because of his dependents.

September 22, 1915, in Jackson County, he married Miss
Cleo Rawling, daughter of Luke A. and Ella (Winter)
Rawling, farmers in the Fairplain community of Jackson
County. Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe have two children: Dana,
born October 16, 1916, and Dona, born December 20, 1920.