Category Archives: Harrison

Clarence Burdette Sperry

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
September 29, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 365

Clarence Burdette Sperry. The firm of Sperry & Sperry, lawyers, has for many
years enjoyed an enviable reputation in the Harrison County bar, a county that
has given some of the most distinctive abilities to the professional affairs of
the state. The members of this firm are Melvin G. and Clarence Burdette Sperry,
brothers, natives of West Virginia.

Their father was the late Rev. Ezra Cortland Sperry, who was born in Cortland,
New York, in 1827. The energies of this life were divided between his duties
as a Baptist minister and as a farmer. He removed to Harrison County in 1851,
and died January 9, 1908. His wife was Mary M. Patton, who was born and reared
in Harrison County. They became the parents of a large family, those growing
to maturity being Edgar A., Mary C., Alexander L., Leonora, Rulina, Melvin G.,
Ezra C., Clarence B., Ernest V., Earl M., Ida L. and Percy C.

Clarence Burdette Sperry was born on his father’s farm in Doddridge County,
West Virginia, October 10, 1869. The country was his environment during his
youth, and he finished a public school education and for three terms taught
school. He spent two years in the law school of the University of West
Virginia at Morgantown, was admitted to the bar, and in 1900 became associated
with his brother Melvin G. Sperry in the firm of Sperry & Sperry at Clarksburg.
Mr. Sperry has also been interested in gas and other industrial development in
his section of the state.

He is a democrat in politics, is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and Elks and is a member of the Baptist Church. At Clarksburg April
16, 1908, he married Margaret O. McKinley, who was born in Harrison County in
1885, daughter of William P. McKinley. Her father was a Union soldier in the
Civil war and a native of Harrison County. Mr. and Mrs. Sperry have one
daughter, Margaret Eleanor, born March 3, 1909.

Willis Guy Tetrick

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 23, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 577-578
Harrison

WILLIS GUY TETRICK was one of the founders and for
the past seven years has been active manager of the Clarks-
burg Exponent, one of the most successful newspaper enter-
prises and influential organs of opinion in this part of the
state.

Though an active business man, Mr. Tetrick has been a
student of genealogy, and has done much to preserve the
records of his own and connected families, and his re-
searches have proved a valuable source of information in
compiling several of the important family sketches found in
these volumes. The first of the name to appear in Harrison
County were George Tetrick and Jacob Tetrick, both of
whom had records as soldiers in the Revolutionary war.
Another, and the direct ancestor of W. G. Tetrick, was
Henry Tetrick, Sr., a name that is found in the Pennsyl-
vania archives of the Pennsylvania soldiers of the Revolu-
tionary war as a member of the Lancaster County Militia
for the years 1780-81-82-83. Henry Tetrick, Sr., is men-
tioned in the official records of Monongalia County, Vir-
ginia, in 1783, and Harrison County in August, 1793.

Henry Tetrick, Jr., probably a son of Henry. Sr., was
said to have been born in Loudoun County, Virginia, prob-
ably about 1768 or 1770. He married Catherine Davis in
Harrison County, and died near Shinnston in Harrison
County about 1845. His three children were: Josiah born
August 4, 1800, Joseph, born October 24, 1803, and Mary,
born June 19, 1807, all born on Tetrick Ridge in Harrison
County.

Joseph Tetrick. just mentioned, was a fanner and stock-
man. and accumulated large tracts of land. He died at his
residence near Shinnston, April 26, 1861. He married
Tacy Jones, daughter of Joshua and Mary (Sech) Jones.
She was horn in Harrison County, May 13, 1804, and died
near Shinnston, June 1, 1890. Their children were: Har-
rison, George, Alfred, Ozias, Ruhama Ann, Commodore
Barnet, Mary Ellen, Henry Marshall, Martha Jane and
John Blackburn.

Of these Ozias Tetrick was born near Shinnston, Febru-
ary 28, 1831, and likewise spent his active life in farming
and stock raising. He was a democrat, but never held a
public office and was one of the thoroughly substantial and
honorable men of his community. He died near Enterprise,
West Virginia, May 24, 1895. On December 21, 1854, he
married Amy Ann Short, who was born in Fayette County,
Pennsylvania, October 28, 1834, daughter of Samuel and
Elizabeth (Everson) Short. She died near Enterprise,
February 11, 1874, the mother of seven children: Luther
Blackburn, Willis Emory, Lucius Elmer, Charles M., Lulu
E., Ida Myrtle and Daisy Ann. On October 12, 1875, Ozias
Tetrick married Nancy Davis, who was born in Marion
County, October 24, 1851, daughter of James and Mary
(Hobbs) Davis. To this union were born three children,
Leia Tacy, Everal Thomas and Arch Ward.

Lucius Elmer Tetrick, representing the fifth generation
of the family in Harrison County, beginning with Henry
Tetrick, Sr., was born near Enterprise, June 9, 1861, and
died August 18, 1901. In a brief lifetime of forty years
he prosecuted a successful business as a farmer and in other
affairs, and was one of the organizers and for many years
an official of the Farmers Bank at Shinnston. He was in-
fluential in democratic politics, was a member of the
Knights of Pythias and the Methodist Episcopal Church,
South.

Lucius Elmer Tetrick married Sarah Florence McIntire,
and her name introduces another pioneer family of Har-
rison County. According to the land survey records Charles
Mclntire made two improvements in what is now Harrison
County in the year 1773. His former home was probably
either in Harford County, Maryland, or just across the line
in the State of Pennsylvania. On account of Indian hos-
tility he probably did not occupy the land in Harrison
County, and it was after his death that his wife and chil-
dren moved to the land. His son John was killed by the
Indians near Enterprise in May, 1791.

His son James spent his life on the land improved by
his father, Charles, just above the Town of Enterprise,
where he died and was buried. He married Rebecca James,
daughter of Enoch James. Their children were: Enoch,
Isaac, Presley, Delila, Sarah, Senneth, Elias and Allison.
Their son Enoch was born at the old Mclntire homestead,
September 1, 1800, and spent his life there as a farmer and
stockman. He died February 28, 1852. In 1822 he married
Sarah Ann Mclntire, his first cousin, who was born near the
old McIntire place, March 10, 1800, and died near Enter-
prise, January 30, 1887, a daughter of Charles and Hannah
(Hall) Mclntire. Their children were: Edith, Cena,
Hannah, James, Thomas Jefferson Charles, James Allison,
Van Buren and Jesse. Charles, who was born October 19,
1836, served as a Confederate soldier in the Nineteenth Vir-
ginia Cavalry, coming home after the war to find that all
his property had been confiscated and sold to pay the claims
of Union sympathizers, and none of it was ever recovered.
He started anew, followed farming and stock raising, and
had accumulated a substantial portion, including a good
farm, part of the old Mclntire homestead, before his death,
which occurred June 12, 1889. Charles Mclntire on January
10, 1861, married Rachel Rose Anderson, who was born
August 4, 1841, a daughter of John and Cassander (Jones)
Anderson, and she died at Enterprise, May 3, 1912. Their
children were: Sarah F., Charles J. and James F. The
oldest of their children was Sarah F., who was born October
4, 1861, and died August 6, 1901. On March 23, 1882, she
became the wife of Lucius Elmer Tetrick, and their four
children were: Willis Guy Tetrick. Georgia Pearl, Mabel
Grace and Amy Rachel. Georgia Pearl and Mabel Grace
were twins, both having died young, the former at sixteen
years and the other at the age of two months. Amy Rachel
Tetrick became the wife of F. Ridley Anderson, and they
have one son, Thomas Ridley.

Willis Guy Tetrick was born on his father’s farm near
the Village of Enterprise in Harrison. County, January 3,
1883, and acquired his early education in the public schools.
He lived at home until he was eighteen, but farming did not
appeal to him as a permanent vocation. It is easy to
understand that a young man who made such rapid strides
forward when given the opportunity should have early felt
the urge toward the larger life that a wider field of effort
afforded. He became bookkeeper and clerk in the planing
mill and feed store of his uncle, James F. Mclntire, at
Enterprise, in the meanwhile taking an active interest in
general affairs, and on June 1, 1903, he came to Clarksburg
as deputy county clerk, in which position he served with
so much efficiency that when the county clerk was removed
by death he was appointed, March 1, 1907, to fill out the
unexpired term. In 1908 he was elected county clerk of
Harrison County, for a term of six years, which terminated
January 1, 1915. Always a loyal supporter of the principles
of the democratic party, his leadership has been many times
recognized, and in 1914 he was his party’s candidate for
mayor of Clarksburg, failing of election only because of his
party being in the minority. At different times he has
served as a member of city, county and state democratic
executive committees.

In 1910 Mr. Tetrick assisted in the organization of the
company that established the Clarksburg Exponent, a news-
paper widely circulated since it was founded, and one that
in the last six years has taken its place as a daily issue with
the best patronized journals of Harrison County. On July
10, 1915, Mr. Tetrick became manager of the Exponent, and
has made it a paying property. His business acumen has
been manifested in other lines and enterprises. He was one
of the organizers of the Clarksburg Trust Company, and
since that time has been a member of its board of directors
and on the finance committee.

On February 9, 1910, Mr. Tetrick married Miss Virginia
Ann Heavner, who is a daughter of Homer M. and Lorena
Bird (Sexton) Heavner. (See sketch on other pages.) Mr.
and Mrs. Tetrick have four children: Willis Guy, born
August 23, 1911; Catherine Virginia, born February 16,
1914; Margaret Ann, born June 17, 1915; and James Elmer,
born February 22, 1918. All are natives of Clarksburg.

The family home is at Clarksburg, but membership is
maintained in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of
Enterprise. For a number of years Mr. Tetrick has been
identified fraternally with the Odd Fellows and the Elks,
and belongs also to some social bodies, although a busy life
like his does not afford a large amount of leisure. In
journalistic circles he is known all over the state. He has
been president of the West Virginia Newspaper Publishers’
Association, and vice president of the West Virginia Edi-
torial Association, and now is serving as vice president of
the West Virginia Publishers and Employing Printers
Association.

Thomas Jefferson Parrish

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: PARRISH, Thomas Jefferson
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 19, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 252-253
Harrison County

THOMAS JEFFERSON PARRISH. Through a life that began
the year Abraham Lincoln was first elected to the presi-
dency and came to the responsibilities of manhood more
than forty years ago, Thomas Jefferson Parrish has attained
to broad experience and successful achievement. A native
of Harrison County, he has been a farmer, merchant, tim-
ber and lumber man, and has not only attracted within
the sphere of his activities important material concerns
but has also fulfilled in generous measure the obligations
that fall upon the citizen, the home-maker and the father
of children in whose training for usefulness he has never
been remiss. Four of his sons followed the path of duty
that led them into places of danger in the great war.

Mr. Parrish was born on a farm near Wallace, Harrison
County, April 5, 1860, son of Silas Newton and Rebecca
Ann (King) Parrish, the former born in what is now
Marion County, in February, 1835, and the latter in
Greene County, Pennsylvania, March 13, 1836. The grand-
father, Richard Parrish, was born in Maryland, about 1810,
and married a Miss Tetrick, a native of West Virginia.
Mr. Parrish was an early settler in Marion County, a pros-
perous farmer and influential citizen, joined the republican
party at its organization, and he and his wife were mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They lived out
their lives at the old homestead, and were the parents of
fourteen children.

Silas Newton Parrish after his marriage located on a
farm in Harrison County, and in addition to farming, which
was the chief business of his long and successful career,
he had other interests, including a lumber business at
Wallace, being associated with his son, Thomas J., in that
enterprise. Silas N. Parrish died in 1915, at the age of
eighty years, and his widow died in her eighty-sixth year.
They reared three children: Thomas J., Harriet L., and
Florinda B. Florinda is now deceased. Silas Newton
Parrish was a loyal and forward looking citizen, who was
always ready to assist in progressive movements for the
benefit of his home community and county. He was an
unreserved republican, and a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church.

On the home farm Thomas J. Parrish spent his child-
hood and early youth, attended the public schools, and
during these years he acquired a really adequate training
for a responsibility that began with manhood. He mar-
ried at the age of twenty-one, and for a number of years
following he devoted his time between farming and mer-
chandising at Wallace. While there, as an associate of his
father, he began logging some timber stocks and convert-
ing the timber into manufactured lumber. In the fall of
1894 he removed to Beverly, Randolph County, and was
engaged in the lumber business there for a time. He re-
turned to Wallace in the spring of 1897, and continued
his interests as a merchant in that community until 1910.
In the meantime, in 1908, he had established his family
home at Clarksburg, in order to give his younger children
better school advantages in the county seat.

In later years Mr. Parrish has had a wide variety of busi-
ness and financial interests. His associates appreciate his
sound judgment, his integrity and his enterprise, qualities
that have made him a welcome and valuable member of a
number of organizations. For several years he has been
interested as a producer in the oil, gas and coal industries,
and among several concerns with which he is associated
the most important are those represented and controlled
by the firm of Groves & Parrish, of which he is senior mem-
ber. He has employed his individual experience and cap-
ital in promoting the success of several financial institu-
tions. He helped organize in 1903 the Wallace Bank at
Wallace, Harrison County, and from the beginning has
been its president. He is a director and stockholder in
the Union National Bank, a stockholder in the Empire
National Bank of Clarksburg, is president and general man-
ager of the Port dark Coal Company, a director and
stockholder in the Champion Collieries Company, presi-
dent and a large stockholder in the Green River Coal Min-
ing Company of Kentucky, and vice president and a stock-
holder in the Bond County Gas Company of Greenville,
Illinois.

Hand in hand with the excellent success that has at-
tended his various business activities has gone the utmost
civic loyalty. In the welfare and advancement of his
home locality he has devoted twelve years to his duties
as a member of the Harrison County Board of Educa-
tion, and in 1921 he was elected a member of the Clarks-
burg City Council and has cooperated with all the plans
and measures undertaken to give the city an adequate ad-
ministration. Mr. Parrish is a republican, a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Clarksburg Country
Club the Alleghany Club, and the Cheat Mountain Club.
In Masonry he is a Knight Templar, a member of the
Commandery of Clarksburg, has attained the thirty-second
degree of the Scottish Rite, is a Mystic Shriner, and also
a, member of the Knights of Pythias.

In 1881 Mr. Parrish married Miss Mary J. Morgan,
daughter of Coleman and Rachel Morgan. She was born
in Doddridge County, was a mere girl when her parents
died, and she passed away in 1900. Of the seven chil-
dren born to Mr. and Mrs. Parrish one died in infancy,
and those who reached maturity were Raymer, Charles P.,
Roy Earl, Lester Glenn, Clair Nelson, and Wilbur Dee.
The son, Charles, died at the age of twenty-two. Boy Earl
made the supreme sacrifice while serving as a young officer
with the American Expeditionary Forces, and a special
memorial sketch of him appears above. Lester Glenn
was also in the overseas service in the army, and two
other sons, Clair N. and Wilbur Dee, were in the navy.
The oldest son, Raymer, is associated with his father in
business, giving his chief time to the Fort dark Coal Com-
pany.

Mr. Parrish in 1902 married Miss Elsie L. Deem. She
died in 1913, and is survived by one daughter, Vera
Grove.

John Benjamin Wyatt

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
March 18, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 342-343

JOHN BENJAMIN WYATT. Since his admission to the
bar in 1910, John Benjamin Wyatt has performed a useful
and effective service as a lawyer. He is well established
in his profession and in civic affairs at Shinnston, and is
a native of Harrison County.

He was born at the Village of Wyatt in Harrison County,
January 3, 1886, a son of Zechariah White and Florence
Augusta (Fortney) Wyatt, and grandson of Russell and
Sidney Ann (White) Wyatt. Russell Wyatt was a native
of old Virginia, and was of English ancestry. On leaving
Virginia he went to Athens County, Ohio, and while there
enlisted as a Union soldier in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry.
After the war he returned to Greene County, Pennsylvania,
and lived out his life as a farmer there.

Zechariah White Wyatt was born in Greene County,
Pennsylvania, December 25, 1846, was reared in his native
county and as a young man went to Marion County, West
Virginia, where he married Ellen Harvey. She was the
mother of four children. Florence Augusta Fortney was
his second wife. She was born in Harrison County, daugh-
ter of Jacob H. Fortney, a native of Preston County. By
the second marriage there were five children. Zechariah W.
Wyatt was a graduate of the College of Physicians and
Surgeons at Baltimore, and was one of the capable and
hard working physicians of Harrison County for many
years. The little community where he lived and from
which he extended his professional service came to be
known as Wyatt. He also lived at Shinnston, and his
residence was at that place when he died, January 31, 1907.
He was elected and served as a member of the Legislature
in 1898, was a republican, a Baptist, was affiliated with
the Masons, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights
of Pythias, and his name and character commanded the
highest degree of general esteem.

John Benjamin Wyatt has lived at Shinnston since his
father located in that town in 1890. He acquired a com-
mon school education there, spent three years in the lit-
erary department of West Virginia University, and com-
pleted his university law course in 1910. After being
admitted to the bar Mr. Wyatt practiced three years at
Fairmont, and since then has had his office at Shinnston.

Besides looking after his general practice as a lawyer he
takes an active part in republican politics, was for one
term mayor of Shinnston, and in 1920 was elected to the
House of Delegates. Mr. Wyatt is a Master Mason and
Knight of Pythias and a member of the Methodist Church.

In 1914 he married Miss Jane Westfall, of Fairmont.
They have a son, John Benjamin, Jr.

Vance Leslie Hornor

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: HORNOR, Vance Leslie
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 278
Harrison County

VANCE LESLIE HORNOR. For upwards of thirty years
Mr. Hornor has devoted his time and energies to the busi-
ness field, but with a diversity of objects that have re-
lieved monotony and no doubt contributed to his aggregate
success. His life has been spent in Harrison County, where
he has been a manufacturer, banker, and in later years
one of the leaders in gas production.

He is a son of James D. and Elizabeth Florence (Hood)
Hornor. A brief sketch of his father precedes this.
Vance Leslie Hornor was born September 29, 1875, at
Lumberport, and had a good common school education
as preparation for the serious duties of life. For several
years he was in the flouring mill business, first at Shinn-
ston and then at Lumberport. When the Lumberport Bank
was organized in 1903 he became its first cashier, and he
continued the duties of that position for twelve years while
the bank was improving its resources and its service as
the only bank in that part of Harrison County.

In the meantime, in 1910, he became interested in the
real estate and gas business. During the next five years
his interests increased to such an extent that he resigned
as cashier of the bank to give his entire time to his interests
in the gas district. He is widely known over the state
for his holdings and his operations as a gas producer. He
is a member of several other business corporations, and is
still a director and vice president of the Lumberport Bank.

Mr. Hornor in 1903 married Georgia Pauline Richardson,
of Shinnston. Their three children are Mary Katherine,
Eleanor Elizabeth and James Richardson Hornor. Mr.
Hornor is a democrat, a Methodist, and is a thirty-second
degree Scottish Kite Mason, a member of the Royal Arch
Chapter and the Mystic Shrine and is also affiliated with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Elks.

Walter Paul Hammer

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: HAMMER, Walter Paul
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 24, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 275
Harrison County

WALTER PAUL HAMMER, M. D. In one of the most
prosperous rural localities of Harrison County a few brief
years have been sufficient to prove the professional skill
and usefulness of Dr. Hammer, who has become an ap-
preciated friend and helper among the widening group of
families that esteem him as their trusted physician.

Doctor Hammer was born on a farm near Ruddle in
Pendleton County, West Virginia, January 31, 1890, son
of Isaac Taylor and Fannie Urbana (Conrad) Hammer,
also born and reared in Pendleton County, and grandson
of Elias Hammer, of the same county. Isaac Hammer
spent his active life as a farmer. The mother of Doctor
Hammer is still living.

He was one of six children and as a background his
early life was the farm. He attended the rural schools
there, and later finished his education in Valparaiso Uni-
versity of Indiana. In 1916 he graduated M. D. from the
Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery, and on the 7th
of December of the same year he began his work as a
practicing physician and surgeon at Lumberport, Harrison
County. In six years he has built up an extensive practice,
is a member of the Harrison County, West Virginia State
and American Medical associations, and fraternally is affili-
ated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the
Maccabees.

Doctor Hammer in 1914 married Miss Etta M. Duff, of
Butler County, Pennsylvania. Their two children are Mil-
dred Gale and Walter Dorland Hammer.

William T. Williamson

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 24, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 578-579
Harrison

WILLIAM T. WILLIAMSON. The subject of the telephone,
its early history and the remarkable extent of the service,
facilities and great capitalization involved in the modern
telephone industry in the state, receives special attention
on other pages of this history. The division manager
for the Bell Telephone System in West Virginia, where
the company is known as the Chesapeake & Potomac Tele-
phone Company of West Virginia, is William T. William-
son, who has spent practically all his adult life in the
business of transportation or communication, and for twenty-
one years has been connected with the telephone company,
during which time his headquarters have been at Charleston.

He was born at Marietta, Ohio, in 1871, son of Rev.
Thomas W. and Lydia (Sayre) Williamson, his mother a
native of West Virginia. Both parents are deceased.
Thomas W. Williamson spent a life of service and real
distinction in the ministry of the Methodist Church. He
served churches in the West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio
conferences.

About 1875, when William T. Williamson, was four years
of. age, his parents moved from Marietta to Volcano, West
Virginia, where he first attended school. Later they moved
to Huntington, where he finished the high school course,
following which he was a student in the Ohio Wesleyan
University at Delaware. For some twelve or thirteen years
Mr. Williamson was in the service of the Chesapeake &
Ohio Railroad, in various capacities, and at different points
in this state, being agent at White Sulphur Springs, agent
at Montgomery, claim agent, with headquarters at Hunt-
ington, and passenger and ticket agent at Charleston. He
resigned the latter office in 1901 to become manager of
the Charleston Exchange of the Southern Bell Telephone
and Telegraph Company, which company later sold its
property in West Virginia to the Chesapeake & Potomac
Telephone Company.

Since then his abilities have brought him successsive
promotions with the Telephone company. He wag super-
intendent of the commercial, traffic and plant departments,
and is now division manager of the company, his division
embracing the entire State of West Virginia. He is also
a member of the Board of Directors of the company. Mr.
Williamson has not only done effective work in improving
and building up the facilities of the company in the state,
but is widely known for his generous attitude toward
the public and his ability to encourage cooperation be-
tween the people and the company, resulting in the general
betterment of the service.

Mr. Williamson is a member of the Board of Trustees
of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, superintendent
of the Sunday School, and is a York and Scottish Rite
Mason and Shriner, being a past potentate of Beni-Kedem
Temple and has several times represented the temple in
the imperial Council. He married Miss Elizabeth S. Slack,
a native of Charleston, and daughter of John Slack. They
have one daughter, Mrs. Harriet W. Barrett.

Laco Loy Young

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
September 29, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume 111
Pg. 364

Laco Loy Young, sheriff of Harrison County, is a brother to the secretary of
state of West Virginia, and both have been men of power in county politics and
local affairs for a great many years.

Sheriff Young was born on a farm in Barbour County, West Virginia, December 7,
1869, son of David Sylvester and Sarah Ann (Pickens) Young. His father, a
native of Old Virginia, was a child when his parents, William W. and Hettie
(Griffith) Young, moved to Harrison County, West Virginia, where they lived out
their lives. They were Scotch Presbyterians. William W. Young became a farmer,
also learned the blacksmith’s trade, and was one of the pioneers of that
occupation in Harrison County. The mother of Sheriff Young was born in West
Virginia, daughter of John and Hannah (Corder) Pickens, who came from Old
Virginia. She died at the age of fifty-five, leaving four children: Laco L.;
Addie V., deceased; Edna M., wife of A.G. Whitesell, of Weston; and Houston
Goff, who is now in his second term as secretary of state of West Virginia and
is still a resident of Harrison County. The father of these children is still
living on the old homestead not far from where the grandfather settled in
Harrison County. David S. Young was a teamster in the Union Army during the
Civil War.

Laco L. Young grew up on the homestead in Harrison County, made good use of his
advantages in the rural schools, and finally attended the Holbrook Normal
University. When only sixteen he was given his first school to teach, and for
six years he played an effective part in the educational program of his
community. His chief occupation throughout his career, however, has been
farming, and he is one of the men who have achieved something more than an
ordinary success in agriculture. From the farm his interested have taken on a
broadening scope and he is interested in the wholesale meat business at
Clarksburg.

Mr. Young for a number of years has been actively interested in the success of
the republican party in Harrison County, but not until 1920 did he come forward
as an active candidate for himself. In that year he won the republican
nomination for sheriff, and at the November election received the largest
vote given to any man on the county ticket. Sheriff Young is a Methodist and a
member of the Knight of Pythias.

In 1891 he married Miss Byrdie Stout, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Abner S. Stout,
of Harrison County. To their marriage were born ten children: Their son
Clayton G. Young in now deputy sheriff under his father, is an ex-service man,
and for thirteen months was overseas with the Third Army Division. He is an
active member of the American Legion Post of Clarksburg.

Jasper N. Wilkinson

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 331-332

JASPER N. WILKINSON. After a busy career marked
by successful and worthy achievement Mr. Wilkinson is
now living virtually retired at Bridgeport, Harrison County.
He was born on a farm not far distant from the vil-
lage in which he now resides, and the date of his nativity
was January 22. 1841. He is a son of Jesse and Mary
Ann (Preston) Wilkinson, the former of whom was born
in Virginia and the latter in Allegany County, Maryland.
The family was founded in Virginia in the Colonial period
of our national history, and the maternal grandfather of
the subject of this sketch was a patriot soldier in the War
of the Revolution. Jesse H. Wilkinson was one of the
successful early farmers of Harrison County, and continued
to reside on his homestead farm near Bridgeport until his
death. His widow passed the closing period of her life
in the home of their only daughter, Sarah A., in Knox
County, Missouri. In the family were four sons.

Jasper N. Wilkinson was reared on the old home farm,
early began to assist in its work, and he continued to
attend local schools at intervals until he was twenty years
of age, when, in 1861, he went to Morgantown and became
a student in Monongalia Academy, of which Professor J. R.
Moore was the principal. In 1865 Mr. Wilkinson graduated
from this institution, with the degree of Civil Engineer,
and thereafter he passed about one month in Iowa, whither
he went to visit in the home of his aunt, Mrs. Rebecca
Hansel, in Clayton County. He next made his way to
Arcola, Douglas County, Illinois, where he found employ-
ment in the line of his profession and did surveying work
of important order. In Illinois he aided in the defining
of the section lines of Grand Prairie in Moultrie County,
which borders Douglas County on the west. It is interest-
ing to record that at that time land in that section of
Illinois could be purchased at prices ranging from $1.25
to $2.50 an acre. In the autumn of 1865 Mr. Wilkinson
returned to his native county, and for the ensuing three
years he assisted his father on the home farm. In 1868
he engaged in the general merchandise business at Bridge-
port, and he successfully continued this enterprise until
1874, when he sold out. In 1870 he had been elected county
engineer, an office of which he continued the efficient
incumbent four years and then was re-elected for a second
term of equal duration. After his retirement from this
office he served four years as deputy county engineer under
T. Moore Jackson, and he then became associated with
J. N. Camden as civil engineer, and had charge of the
running of all of the lines on the coal lands owned and
controlled by Mr. Camden, said lands lying on both sides
of the river and running back three miles.

In the autumn of 1888 Mr. Wilkinson became civil engi-
neer for the South Pennsylvania Oil Company of Pitts-
burgh, and in 1890 this corporation gave him assignment
as superintendent of its operations in the West Virginia
District, where he had supervision of the company’s title
rights and other matters pertaining to its land holdings
in this state. In this connection he did a large amount
of important and responsible executive and technical serv-
ice, and he continued his alliance with the company for a
term of years. In 1910 Mr. Wilkinson was placed in charge
of the Hope Gas Company, and this position he retained
until 1913, when ill health compelled his retirement. Dur-
ing these years of consecutive and well ordered activity
in his profession Mr. Wilkinson did not neglect extraneous
opportunities for forwarding his individual prosperity. He
made judicious investments, and these today mark him as
a man of substantial financial status. He owns and occu-
pies one of the beautiful residences of Bridgeport, the
same commanding a fine view of the surrounding country,
and here he is enjoying the peace and prosperity that prop-
erly crown his former years of earnest endeavor. He is
aligned loyally in the ranks of the democratic party, has
been affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
since the year 1865, and he holds membership also in the
Knights of Pythias. His religious faith is that of the
Presbyterian Church, and his wife is a member of the
Baptist Church.

April 30, 1868, recorded the marriage of Mr. Wilkinson
and Miss Anna Barbee Heflin, of Bridgeport, and in con-
clusion of this review is given brief record concerning their
children: Guy C., who was born June 1, 1871, succeeded
his father as superintendent of the Hope Gas Company
and retained this position until his death, December 11,
1915, he having been a bachelor and having been one of
the popular and representative business men of this sec-
tion of his native state. Mary Bessie, who was born July
1, 1873, died on the 13th of February, 1909. She became
the wife of Dr. C. L. Lyon, and after her death her only
child, Helen, then six years of age, was taken into the
home of the maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Wil-
kinson, with whom she has since remained, she being now
a student in the University of West Virginia. Anna Heflin,
who was born July 15, 1875, became the wife of Wilbur
Gaines, of Salem, this state, and they now reside at Bridge-
port. Nellie Virginia was born November 8, 1878, and
her death occurred March 8, 1908. Irma N., who was born
September 24, 1881, is the wife of Leroy H. Martin, a mem-
ber of the firm of Martin Brothers of Haywood, Harrison
County. Lucy E., who was born August 2, 1884, remains
at the parental home. All of the children were afforded
the best of educational advantages.

Benjamin Franklin Shuttleworth

HARRISON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
April 11, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 389-890

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SHUTTLEWORTH, M. D. Few men of
medicine are better known in Harrison County than Dr. Ben-
jamin Franklin Shuttleworth, who has been engaged in the
practice of his calling at Clarksburg for seventeen years, and
whose splendid professional application to the duties and
responsibilities of his vocation have gained him a position
high in its ranks and equally high in the confidence of his
fellow-townsmen. While a general practitioner, he has
given special attention to internal medicine, and is at pres-
ent acting as medical inspector of the Clarksburg public
schools.

Doctor Shuttleworth was born at Clarksburg, July 17,
1877, one of the eleven childern born to Benjamin Frank-
lin and Mary Rebecca (Blair) Shuttleworth, the former
a native of Harrison County, West Virginia, and the lat-
ter of Augusta County, Virginia. Notley Shuttleworth, the
paternal grandfather of the doctor, was in his day a prom-
inent and successful business man of Clarksburg and a
man of influence in civic affairs, in which he took a help-
ful and constructive interest.

Benjamin Franklin Shuttleworth, of this review, was
reared at Clarksburg, where he attended the public schools,
after leaving which he took a preparatory literary course
at the West Virginia State University, where he obtained
his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1901. He then entered
Jefferson Medical College, and obtained his Doctor of Med-
icine degree in 1905. He has twice returned to this insti-
tution for post-graduate work. Doctor Shuttleworth be-
gan his professional career at Clarksburg, where he has
gained a very desirable and representative practice, and
has long ranked with the leaders of his profession. He
occupies offices at 126 West Main Street. If any branch
of his profession may be said to receive more of his
attention than another it is that of internal medicine,
in which he has won more than a local reputation and is
frequently called into consultation in cases of this kind.

Doctor Shuttleworth is a member of the medical staff
of St. Mary’s Hospital, where he has the full and unques-
tioned confidence of his professional associates. For sev-
eral years he has had the responsibility of caring for the
hygiene and health conditions of the children of the city
in the capacity of medical inspector of the Clarksburg pub-
lic schools. He is likewise a member of the West Vir-
ginia State Public Health Council, local surgeon for the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, physician and surgeon for
the Consolidation Coal Company and medical consultant
for the Hope Gas Company. He belongs to the Harrison
County Medical Society, of which he was president in 1919;
the West Virginia State Medical Society, of which he was
first vice president in 1919; the American Medical Asso-
ciation and the American Congress on Internal Medicine.
Doctor Shuttleworth is a Mason and an Elk. In the Scot-
tish Bite branch of Masonry he has attained the thirty-
second degree, and in the York Rite, the Chapter degree,
and is also a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. In polities he
is a republican, but politics has played only a small part
in his career, although as a public-spirited citizen he has
interested himself in civic matters in an endeavor to se-
cure the election of able officials and the passage of worthy
legislation. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian
Church, and he has always supported worthy religious and
charitable movements.

In 1907 Doctor Shuttleworth was united in marriage with
Miss Rachael Faris, of Clarksburg. She is a daughter of
Samuel S. and Sallie (Davisson) Faris, and was born at
Bridgeport, West Virginia. Doctor and Mrs. Shuttleworth
occupy a pleasant residence at Clarksburg.