Category Archives: Greenbrier

B. F. Harlow

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

B. F. HARLOW – born in Albemarle County, Virginia, July 20, 1835 was a son of
Henry Martin HARLOW and Mary Elizabeth HARLOW nee HAWLEY. He received a
common-school education and at the age of sixteen went into the printing
business. At eighteen he became one of the editors of the Farmer’s Friend,
a weekly paper published in Union, Monroe County, (then) Virginia. In 1855
he took charge of the Greenbrier Era, which he edited until November, 1858,
when he went to Memphis, Tennessee, and there took a position on the Daily
Bulletin. In 1859 he returned to Lewisburg and entered upon the practice
of law, in which he continued until the outbreak of the war between the States.
He enlisted as a private in the Greenbrier Cavalry (Confederate), served until
made prisoner in May, 1862, was imprisoned at Charleston and at Wheeling, then
at Camp Chase (Ohio) and exchanged in the latter part of 1862. Returned to his
regiment and served until discharged for disability incurred in service and during
imprisonment. In 1863 he was contributor to the Lynchburg Daily Republican, and in
1864 was assigned to duty in the post office department, Confederate service. At
the close of the war, broken in health, crippled in pocket, debarred from practice
by his inability to take the “Attorneys Test Oath”, he contributed a short time to
the Lynchburg Daily News. Then, in 1865, in Lewisburg he established the Greenbrier
Independent, which he still continues. He has also become a successful farmer. He
has never been a candidate for or held an office of emolument, but was a delegate at
large from the third congressional district of West Virginia to the Democratic National
convention which met in Cincinnati in 1880. He was on the committee on organization in
that body. February 28, 1867, he married Henrietta Clay RENICK, daughter of B. F.
RENICK, Esq., and from that union eight children have been born: Rose Belle, Annie
Virginia, Henry Martin, Benjamin Lacy, Henrietta Caroline, Mary Evelyn, Homer Holt,
and Austin HARLOW.

Submitted by Valerie Crook
Email: , 1999

Charles H. Hedrick

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

CHARLES H. HEDRICK – born in Blue Sulphur district, Greenbrier County,
February 27, 1840, is still a resident in this district, where he owns a fine
farm, and he is also successfully conducting a grocery and butcher business
at Alderson, Monroe County. Henry and Nancy J. (LIVESAY) HEDRICK, the latter
died in 1873, were his parents. His first wife was Virginia ROBISON, whom he
wedded March 9, 1860, and who died without children, March 6, 1866, in Mason
County, Illinois, of consumption. In Monroe County, West Virginia,
September 9. 1867, Charles H. HEDRICK and Eliza HOGGSETT were united
in marriage, and their children are five, John Henry, born September
27, 1868; Mary V, November 12, 1869; Lulie B., May 8, 1871; James N.,
June 1, 1873; Willie H., December 1, 1878. John and Mary HOGGSETT,
born in Augusta County, Virginia, were the parents of Mrs. HEDRICK.
They made their home in Monroe County, and the mother is still
living on the homestead there, the father died in 1857. The birth of
Mrs. HEDRICK was in Monroe County, born September 8, 1841. She had
one brother, S. F. HOGGSETT, who was a Confederate soldier, serving
in Edgar’s Battalion, Company F. Charles H. HEDRICK’s post office
address is Alderson, Monroe County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Valerie Crook
Email: , 1999