Category Archives: Greenbrier

William Francis Mcclung

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM FRANCIS McCLUNG – owner of 130 acres of land in Blue Sulphur district,
is farming some portion of the land, and grazes twenty head of cattle yearly.
He was born in Greenbrier County, June 21, 1833, and his first wife was Martha M.
GEORGE, daughter of William GEORGE of this county, and was born May 28, 1840, and
died September 17, 1877. Their children were: Allie J., born June 10, 1862, lives
at home; Lulu R., August 18, 1864, is a school teacher, living at home;
Elizabeth C., June 26, 1867, lives at home; Walter G., April 18, 1871, died
July 18, same year; Joseph F., July 18, 1873, is at home. The grandfather of
Martha M. GEORGE was Thomas GEORGE, who built the first house in Grassy Meadows,
and whose hunting exploits are elsewhere given. The paternal grandfather of
William F. McCLUNG was also a noted hunter and prominent among the early
settlers of Greenbrier County. Samuel and Jane (KINCAID) McCLUNG, who were
born in Greenbrier County, were the parents of William F. His father is still
living at Grassy Meadows, his mother died in 1846. In Greenbrier County,
March 23, 1880, William F. McCLUNG was joined in marriage with Martha S.
FEAMSTER, who was born in this county, March 17, 1840. William and Mary
(TYREE) FEAMSTER were her parents. Her father, born in Greenbrier County,
is still a resident here, with post office address at Asbury; her mother
was born in Fayette County, now West Virginia, and died in February, 1877.
W. F. McCLUNG may be addressed at Palestine, Greenbrier County,
West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie F. Crook, , 1999.

William Hampton Caldwell

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM HAMPTON CALDWELL, M. D. – was born in Lewisburg, Greenbrier
County, May 10, 1858, a son of Dewit Clinton Bolivar CALDWELL and Sarah
Jane CALDWELL, and a grandson of Joseph Franklin and Ann (TYLER) CALDWELL.
Dr. Joseph F. CALDWELL, his grandfather, came to Greenbrier County in
1820, and in Lewisburg established the first newspaper published west
of the Blue Ridge, in the same year – The Palladium of Virginia. He
also established the first stage lines through the State, from Lewisburg
to New Bern, North Carolina, and Guyandotte, Charleston, etc. This was
in 1837 or 1838, the mails prior to that date having been carried by a
man on horseback. He was a member of the West Virginia legislature in
1867, and introduced a bill relative to incorporation limits of Lewisburg.
He was mayor of Lewisburg, president of the board of registration, and
always a citizen prominent in the interest of the town, county, and
State. Dr. H. Clay CALDWELL, son of Dr. J. F. CALDWELL, was assistant
surgeon in the navy for several years, being promoted to full surgeon
a year or two previous to his death, which occurred while home on leave
of absence at the residence of his father, in Lewisburg, December 1,
1859, in the 28th year of his age. He was a young man of brilliant
promise, of very superior mind, and an honor to his profession. The
father of William H., also a physician, was justice of the peace, clerk
of the county court of Greenbrier County, and also United States
examining surgeon for West Virginia. William H. CALDWELL, in addition
to his professional duties, has held the seal of notary in and for
Greenbrier County for the past two years. His residence is in Lewisburg
District, and he owns the “Stone House”, at River Dale, on the Greenbrier
River – one of the first houses built in the county, erected and owned by
Benjamin GRIGSBY, a Presbyterian minister and pioneer of the county. His
address is: Dr. W. H. CALDWELL, Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West
Virginia.

Submitted by Valerie Crook
Email: vfcrook @trellis.net 1999.

William Henry Mcclung

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM HENRY McCLUNG, M. D. – born in Meadow Bluff District, Greenbrier County,
October 28, 1843, and Adaline Elizabeth THOMPSON, born in the
same district April 30, 1843, were there joined in wedlock, on the 15th
of November, 1866. Banzesa, born July 28, 1867, died August 13th following
was their first-born child. In their home are four: Irene Irvin, born
July 28, 1871; Elsie Bird, July 13, 1874; Olive Belle, December 28, 1875;
Willie Kenna, November 19, 1880. The parents of Dr. McCLUNG, are Alexander
and Elenor (THOMPSON) McCLUNG, of Greenbrier County the former born in 1805,
and the latter in 1815. Adaline E., wife of Dr. McCLUNG, was
daughter of Isaac and Jane (BURNS) THOMPSON. Her father died in this county,
March 13, 1876, and her mother is still a resident here. Dr. McCLUNG served
as clerk of the board of registration 1866, and was at the same time member
of the board of supervisors. He was elected representative from Greenbrier County
in 1882, and was elected deputy sheriff in October, 1881. He volunteered
for service in the Confederate army in 1861,and was with Buchart’s company until
that disbanded, when he joined the Greenbrier Cavalry, Company K. He was
promoted to lieutenant and drill master in Honshell’s battalion, and took
part in all the battles of his command. He was three times wounded, twice
severely, first at Frederick City, Maryland, then in front of the “Block-house”
at Washington, while trying to take his wounded brother, John McCLUNG, off the
field. He was captured in Ninevah, but escaped by riding through the Federal
lines, and swimming the Shenandoah river three times, then taking to the
mountains, reaching his command the next evening. He served until the close
of the war. Dr. McCLUNG owns a fine farm on Meadow River, and has been for
twenty years a successful practitioner. His post office address is Meadow
Bluff, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie F. Crook, , 1999.

William Page Scott

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM PAGE SCOTT — is a son of William Hoover SCOTT and Elizabeth Jane (HILL)
SCOTT, both natives of this county. He was born in Greenbrier County, October 24,
1846 was raised in this county, and in Lewisburg is engaged in the livery business.
His business card appears elsewhere in these pages. In Alleghany County, Virginia,
May 18, 1870, Laura Bell BEARD became the wife of William P. SCOTT, and to them
five children were born: Lillian Brown April 13, 1871; Lucy P., February 25 1873;
Andrew E. August 22, 1875. Samuel F., December 7, 1876; Julia G., July 7,
1881. Samuel F. is deceased and the others living with their father. The wife
and mother departed this life March 18, 1882. She was born in Greenbrier
County, September 18, 1852 daughter of Andrew and Eliza (BROWN) BEARD, both
now deceased. The father and three brothers of Mr. SCOTT were Confederate
soldiers in the war between the States, and two of the brothers, Thomas and
Frank died of the measles while in the service. William P. SCOTT’s post office
address is Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1998.

William R. Livesay

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM R. LIVESAY – owns a farm in Lewisburg District of 1,500 acres of Blue
Grass land, well watered and stocked. He is also the owner of LIVESAY Mill,
on the Lewisburg and Williamsburg pike. His birth was in Falling Spring District,
this county, January 6, 1817, and all his life has been passed here. He has
been one year president of the board of supervisors and two years justice of
the peace. May 5, 1855, in this county he married Ann Elizabeth PATTERSON,
and they had two sons: George, born May 5, 1857, died January 7, 1858;
William Crawford, born July 12, 1860, lives at home, engaged in farming.
Ann E., wife of Mr. LIVESAY, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, came to
Greenbrier County about the age of twelve years, and died on her husband’s
farm July 19, 1862. She was a daughter of John and Jane (CRAWFORD) PATTERSON,
and her parents, natives of Augusta County, are deceased. Her father died in
Augusta County, and her mother in Charlottesville, Virginia. September 8,
1864, William R. LIVESAY married Elizabeth Groves HERN, who was born in Augusta
County, Virginia, May 28, 1829. She was a daughter of Joseph and Barbara
(STRICKLER) HERN, who came to Greenbrier County when she was a girl, and
died in this county, her father on the 7th of July, 1869, and her mother
on the 20th of March, 1873. Joseph HERN was born in Shenandoah County,
Virginia, in 1787, and Barbara, his wife, was born in Rockingham County,
Virginia, October 7, 1797. William R. LIVESAY, who was born near Blue Sulphur,
this county, December 14, 1780, and in Pocahontas County married Mary SWITZER,
who was born on Little Levels, Pocahontas County, August 3, 1786. They resided
in Greenbrier County until death, and both died on the farm now owned by William R.
George LIVESAY died March 21, 1865, and his wife died February 26, 1857.
The brothers and sisters of William R. LIVESAY were Thomas, John, Rebecca,
Andrew, Joseph, Elizabeth, Allen, Melinda Mary, Washington, Lucinda, and
Harvey. William R. LIVESAY’s postoffice address is Richlands, Greenbrier
County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1999.

William Parks Rucker

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

WILLIAM PARKS RUCKER – attorney and farmer, has been a resident in Greenbrier
County since 1869. He was born in Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, November
9, 1831, son of Clifton Hedley RUCKER and Mary Jane Stark (STAPLES) RUCKER, now
both deceased. His father, born in Amherst County, Virginia, died in that county,
and his mother, born in Appomattox County, Virginia, died in Lynchburg. In Campbell
County, Virginia, October 28, 1852, were recorded the marriage vows of William Parks
RUCKER and Margaret Ann SCOTT, and the children of their union are recorded;
Hedley Scott, born September 13, 1853, lives in Huntersville, West Virginia;
W. W., February 1, 1855, lives in Keytesville, Missouri, as does James S.,
born November 23, 1856; Mary Clifton, born July 22, 1858, died September 28, 1861;
Edgar Parks, born December 23, 1861, lives in Rothville, Missouri. Thomas Hazlewood
SCOTT, born in Campbell County, Virginia, and Margaret Parks (BURKS) SCOTT, born in
Amherst County, Virginia, were the parents of Margret A., born in Campbell County,
January 31, 1832. Her parents both died in the county of her birth. In 1867-8, in
Nicholas county, West Virginia, William P. RUCKER filled the office of justice of
peace: in 1865-7 he was a notary public in and for the same county. In the years
1870-2 he was prosecuting attorney for Greenbrier and Pocahontas Counties. He was
major of the 13th West Virginia Infantry (Federal), but never served with the
regiment, being assigned alternately aid-de-camp with Generals Seigel and Crook.
His residence and post office address are Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1999.

R. Pinckney Lake

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

R. PINCKNEY LAKE, M. D. – is a native of Maryland, born in Dorchester
County, March 19, 1827. His father’s family were of English birth, and
early and prominent among the settlers of Maryland, and his father, George
LAKE, was born in Dorchester County, Maryland, in 1786. The mother of Dr.
LAKE was of the SLOCUMB family, of Alexandria County, Virginia, and she was
born in that State and county, in 1783. Her family were of French descent.
In Madison County, Virginia, December 5, 1882, R. Pinckney LAKE was joined
in wedlock with Virginia A. LIGHTFOOT, who was born in Madison County,
Virginia, May 21, 1835. Philip and Ann (SMITH) LIGHTFOOT were her parents,
both Virginians by birth, her father born in Culpepper County, and her mother
in Madison County; the death of both occurred in Madison County. George LAKE,
father of Dr. LAKE, died in Dorchester County, Maryland, and his mother died
in Mississippi. Many relatives of Dr. LAKE were in the Confederate service,
and not a few gave their lives in defense of the sovereignty of the citizen.
None regret the sacrifices they have made in the cause, that if lost, was yet
a noble cause, and nobly lost. R. Pinckney LAKE was graduated from the
Jefferson College, Washington County, Pennsylvania, in 1848, and from the
University of Maryland in 1850. He has been settled in Greenbrier County
since the latter date, and constantly engaged in practice at White Sulphur
Springs and Lewisburg. His residence and post office address are at Lewisburg.

Submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1999.

Samuel Alexander Scott

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

SAMUEL ALEXANDER SCOTT – was born in Greenbrier County, (then) Virginia,
May 6, 1848, and was a son of James Keeble SCOTT, born in Monroe County,
(then) Virginia, January 7, 1809, and Clarissa Ann (BLACK) SCOTT, born
in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, January 25, 1823. They lived in
Greenbrier County until 1849, Fayette County until 1859, Kanawha County
until 1862, and then went to Gallia County, Ohio, where the father died
August 27, 1878; the mother is still a resident of that county. At
Gallipolis, Gallia County, in 1872, Samuel A. SCOTT wedded Justina M.
BLAZER, who was born in Gallia county in 1847. Joseph J. and Emeline
(COWDEN) BLAZER were her parents, the former born in Gallia County about
1817, and the latter born in Trumbull County, Ohio. Her mother died in
Gallia County about 1860, and her father is still living there. Mr. and
Mrs. SCOTT are the parents of four children, born: Clarissa M., October
27, 1874; Joseph B. November 29, 1875; Nellie V., February 2, 1877;
James K., August 20, 1880. In 1879, Samuel A. SCOTT returned to the
county of his nativity, and he is residing in Lewisburg, where he is
manager for the Singer Manufacturing Company.

Transcribed and submitted by Valerie Crook, , 1998.

Samuel Christopher Beard

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

SAMUEL CHRISTOPHER BEARD, M. D. – born near Lewisburg, Greenbrier
County, October 3, 1831, at Blue Sulphur Spring, this county, December
12, 1855, was united in marriage with Martha Estaline HAMILTON, and
the children born to them were seven: Walter C., May 27, 1859;
Lillian H., June 11, 1861; Delia Miriam, January 11, 1864;
Margaret E., November 25, 1866; Phil J. A., April28, 1869;
Samuel C., April 6, 1872; Emma W. C., December 23, 1876;
Delia M., died October 1875; Margaret E., died September 20, 1878;
Walter C. is a practicing physician and makes his home in Alderson,
this county, and the others are with their parents. Christopher BEARD,
born near Lewisburg, April 1, 1798, died August 2, 1840, was the father
of Dr. BEARD. His mother, whose maiden name was Miriam McNEAL, was born
in Pocahontas County, December 7, 1834. [This could be a typo.] Her mother
was born at that place, in 1810, and is now deceased, and her father,
now deceased, was born on Muddy Creek, this county, in 1795. The BEARDS
were among the pioneers of this county, noted for their industry, integrity,
and interest in public advancement. They were bone and sinew of
Presbyterianism in this community, and are recorded among the first
elders of the faith in this county. Dr. BEARD lives on the old homestead,
three miles northeast of Lewisburg, the farm containing 1,200 acres of
valuable land. He receives his mail at Lewisburg, Greenbrier County,
West Virginia.

Submitted by Valerie Crook
Email: vfcrook @trellis.net, 1999.

Samuel Hamiltion Curry

Source: Hardesty, Henry H. Hardesty’s Historical and Geographical
Encyclopedia. New York: H.H. Hardesty and Company, 1884.
Rpt. in West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia. Ed. Jim Comstock.
Richwood: Comstock, 1974.

SAMUEL HAMILTION CURRY – born in Monroe County, (now) West Virginia,
May 2, 1836, was a son of Josiah and Sarah (NICKELL) CURRY. His mother
was born in Monroe County, his father in Augusta County, Virginia. The
former died in Ohio, the latter died in 1845. In the war between the
States, Samuel H. CURRY was a member of Company C, 132d Ohio Infantry,
enlisting May 1, 1864, and serving the Government through the last
year of the war in the army of the Potomac, Anderson CURRY, his cousin,
was a soldier of the Confederacy, and killd [sic] in the service. At Irish
Corner, Greenbrier County, November 2, 1882, Samuel H. CURRY married
Susan Rebecca HALLOWELL, who was born in Richmond, Virginia, May 27,
1835. She was a daughter of Joshua HALLOWELL, born in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth E. (PULLIN) HALLOWELL, who was born near
Richmond, Virginia, September 15, 1796. (Her parents are no longer
living.) Samuel H. CURRY owns 180 acres of good land, well improved,
watered and timbered. It has several springs of superior medicinal
qualities, and is well located. He has been a consistent and useful
member of the Presbyterian Church for ten years, and his wife joined
the Methodist Church early in life, and has been constant in her
religious faith ever since. The postoffice address of Samuel H.
CURRY is Monroe Draft, Greenbrier County, West Virginia.

[From THE MONROE WATCHMAN, Thursday, December 9, 1909:
Mrs. Susan CURRY, of Irish Corner, widow of the late Sam CURRY, was taken
to the home for incurables at Huntington on No. 1, Thanksgiving night.
Her mind had been failing for several years, and she was haunted with
the idea that some persons had determined to kill her and were hiding
nearby for that purpose. In view of her age (some 76 years) she was deemed
incurable. She was Miss HALLOWELL before her marriage. — W. Va. News]