Category Archives: Clay

Philip S. Young

CLAY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 22, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 517
Clay

PHILIP S. YOUNG was elected sheriff of Clay County in
November, 1920, is giving a most effective administration
and is one of the popular citizens of his native county and
its judicial center, the Village of Clay, where he maintains
his residence and official headquarters.

Mr. Young was born on his father’s farm in this county,
November 4, 1873, and is a son of Samuel E. and Helen
M. (Hart) Young, the former of whom was born in
Kanawha County, in 1828, when West Virginia as now con-
stituted was still on the pioneer western frontier of Vir-
ginia. The mother of Sheriff Young was born at Charleston,
this state, in 1832. After their marriage the parents resided
eighteen years on a farm in Kanawha County, and they
then came to Clay County, where the father developed a
good farm and where he and his wife passed the remainder
of their lives, secure in the respect and esteem of all who
knew them and both earnest members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Samuel E. Young became a loyal sup-
porter of the principles of the republican party, was in-
fluential in its local councils and served for a long term of
years as a member of the County Court of Clay County. He
was actively affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. Of the
family of ten children five are living at the time of this
writing, in 1922: Mary is the wife of William Snyder;
James is a substantial farmer in Clay County; Herbert M.,
who served twelve years as clerk of the Circuit Court for
Clay County, is now engaged in the real estate business in
the State of Arizona; Anna is the wife of W. D. Samples;
and Philip S., of this review, is the youngest of the number.
The father was a loyal and gallant soldier of the Union
during virtually the entire period of the Civil war, and he
manifested in later years his continued interest in his old
comrades by maintaining affiliation with the Grand Army of
the Republic.

Philip S. Young early began to assist in the work of the
home farm, and while he thus waxed strong in physical
powers he also profited by the advantages offered in the
local schools. He has always continued his alliance with
the basic industry of farming, and the aggregate area of his
two well improved farms in Clay County is 500 acres, the
value of these properties being enhanced by the gas wells
that have been there sunk and are producing. Mr. Young
is a stalwart in the local camp of the republican party, has
been a zealous worker in its behalf, and on its ticket he
was elected county sheriff in the autumn of 1920. He and
his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Young is a thirty-second degree Mason and a member of
the Shrine. He and his brothers are affiliated with Clay
County Lodge No. 97, Ancient. Free & Accepted Masons, of
which their father was an active member for many years
prior to his death.

The year 1900 recorded the marriage of Mr. Young and
Miss Mary Smith, and of their fine family of ten children
all are living except one, there having been four sons and
six daughters.