Category Archives: Cabell

Marshall College

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
July 6, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 441

MARSHALL COLLEGE, which is Huntington’s largest institu-
tion contributing to the reputation of that city as an
educational center, is primarily a teachers’ college, pre-
paring students to teach and supervise, but a great many
men and women have received a portion of their general
education there in preparation for business or professional

The present institution is the outgrowth of Marshall
Academy, established in 1837, shortly after the death of
Chief Justice John Marshall, of the Supreme Court of the
United States, in whose honor the school was named. It
was organized as a private institution. In 1856 the work
of the Academy was enlarged and reorganized, and the
name changed to Marshall College.

The Civil war greatly affected the fortunes of the school.
So serious was the situation at its close that a number of
leading citizens in this section of the new state of West
Virginia succeeded in having the Legislature take it over
as a state normal school; normal in name, but wholly
academic in organization and in fact, and such it remained
with varying fortune, save a little teaching of pedagogy,
school management, etc., until 1897, when a practice school
of one grade was organized; but the state refused to sup-
port it, and, accordingly, this nucleus was abandoned after
two years of unappreciated effort to develop the normal
training feature, and the school continued as an academic
institution as before.

In January, 1902, the department of education was or-
ganized, and a model or practice school for teachers was
opened. This was the first step toward normal school work
in the state, and the school has since then been officially
known as Marshall College.

The school was established on the site of the present
eastern section of College Hall thirty-four years before the
founding of the City of Huntington. None of the records
of the school during the period of time it was an academy
are preserved. During the time of the war they were lost
or destroyed, and it has been impossible to bring together
any reliable data concerning the early days. All reliable
statistics with reference to Marshall College date from the
year 1867.

The president of Marshall College is Frederic R. Hamil-
ton, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin. The vice
president and professor of literature is C. E. Haworth, a
graduate of Colgate University.

William Joseph Quinn

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
November 26, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 321-322

WILLIAM JOSEPH QUINN, president of the General Coal
Company at Huntington, has secured standing as one of the
progressive and substantial business men of the younger
generation in this city. He was born at Girardville, Penn-
sylvania, April 7, 1894, and is a son of William Joseph
Quinn, Sr., and Lucy (Griffiths) Quinn, both natives of the
old Keystone State, where the former was born in 1863
and the latter, in Schuylkill County, in 1866. The father
became fire boss for coal mines in the district near Girard-
ville, Pennsylvania, and was only thirty-three years of age
when he met his death in a mine explosion at Lost Creek,
Pennsylvania, in 1896, his widow being still a resident of
Girardville. Mr. Quinn was a stanch republican, was affi-
liated with the Knights of Columbus, and was a com-
municant of the Catholic Church, as is also his widow. Of
the children the subject of this review was the fourth in
order of birth, and he was two years of age at the time of
his father’s tragic death; James is a resident of West
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and is a railroad employe;
Thomas is superintendent of the A. D. Cronin Coal Com-
pany at Accoville, West Virginia; Anna is the wife of
Arthur Brown, of Girardville, Pennsylvania, Mr. Brown
being an electrician in the service of the Philadelphia &
Reading Railroad Company; Robert S. is superintendent of
the U. S. Block Coal Company, with residence at Woodville,
West Virginia.

William J. Quinn graduated from the high school depart-
ment of Girard College in June, 1910, and thereafter he
worked in various clerical capacities until 1912, at Girard-
ville and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Atlantic City,
New Jersey. In 1912 he became a clerk for the Berwind
Lumber Company at Berwind, West Virginia, and six
months later became shipping clerk for the New River &
Poeahontas Consolidated Coal Company, which one year
later transferred him to similar service in the City of
Charleston. In 1914 he accepted a position as salesman with
the Winifrede Coal Company, the mines of which are in
Kanawha County, this state, and he was a representative
of this corporation at Cincinnati, Ohio, until 1917, when he
organized a company to take over the properties and busi-
ness of the Ruffner Coal Company of Accoville, Logan
County, West Virginia. He was concerned in the operation
of the mine of this company until August, 1920, and was
vice president and general manager of the company. In
1920 the Ruffner Coal Company sold its mine and business
to the A. D. Cronin Coal Company, in which Mr. Quinn
retained an interest and was made general manager, a posi-
tion of which he is still the incumbent. In 1919 the
Ruffner Coal Company acquired the .Franklin Mine in Boone
County, and this mine likewise is now owned by the A. D.
Cronin Coal Company, the aggregate output capacity of
whose mines is 175,000 tons of coal annually.

In 1919 Mr. Quinn purchased the U. S. Block Coal
Company’s mine and business, the mine having a capacity
for the production of 50,000 tons of bituminous coal a year,
and this property he still owns. In 1919 also he effected
the organization of the General Coal Company, for the
handling of the output of the mines with which he is iden-
tified, and of this sales company he has since continued
the president. He is president also of the U. S. Block Coal
Company, and his executive offices are at 918-919 Bobson-
Prichard Building in the City of Huntington. Mr. Quinn
is a stanch supporter of the cause of the republican party,
and is affiliated with Huntington Lodge No. 313, Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.

In March, 1920, at Covington, Kentucky, was solemnized
the marriage of Mr. Quinn and Miss Vivian Brown, who
was born at Millersburg, that state, and who is a popular
factor in the social circles of Huntington.

George D. Miller

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
July 9, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 466-467

GEORGE D. MILLER is one of the prominent young men
in the financial and business affairs of Huntington, and
a large group of important interests center in him. His
chief daily routine is in the First National Bank, of which
he is cashier. Mr. Miller was born at Huntington, Decem-
ber 20, 1887. His father, the late George F. Miller, came
to Huntington when a young man, and after his marriage
at Catlettsburg, Kentucky, settled here permanently. He
assisted in organizing the First National Bank of Hunting-
ton in 1884, and became its first cashier, holding that post
until his death. In the meantime he had done something
toward making this the largest bank in West Virginia in
point of capita] and resources. He was associated with the
group of men who really built up Huntington to an im-
portant city. He was a democrat, but in 1896 changed
politics on account of the free silver issue. He was an
active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
George F. Miller married Lucy McConnell, a native of
Catlettsburg, Kentucky, who died at Huntington. They
were the parents of three sons: James I. is a graduate of
the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore and is
practicing medicine at Huntington. Charles I. is in the
wholesale dry goods business at Seattle, Washington.

George D. Miller, the youngest of the sons, was educated
in the public schools of Huntington, and attended pre-
paratory schools at Charlottsville and Alexandria, Virginia.
He left school at the age of twenty, and soon afterward
became bookkeeper in the First National Bank of Hunting-
ton. He was promoted to teller, again to assistant cashier,
and since April, 1920, has been cashier of this institution,
now housed in the magnificent twelve-story business block
that is the outstanding structure in the Huntington district.
Mr. Miller is also a director of the bank.

He is associated with his brothers in the ownership of
several business buildings in Huntington, and among the
other interests that claim a share of his active energies
are the Huntington Land Company, of which he is secretary,
Ohio River Land Company, Pea Bidge Land Company,
Kenova-Huntington Land Company, and the Enslow Park
Realty Company, all of which he is treasurer, and he is
president of the Miller-Hunt Homes Company.

Mr. Miller votes as an independent. He is affiliated
with Huntington Lodge No. 313, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, the Huntington Rotary Club, Guyandotte
Club of Huntington, Huntington Country Club and West
Side Country Club. During the war he exerted himself in
behalf of all the patriotic causes, and was particularly
valuable in leading and insuring the success of the Liberty
Loan drives. Mr. Miller has a modern home at 1056 Sixth
Avenue. He married at Huntington in 1908 Miss Chloe
Doolittle, daughter of Judge and Mrs. Edward S. Doo-
little, now deceased. Her father was a prominent West
Virginia lawyer and judge of the Circuit Court. Mrs.
Miller is a graduate of Marshall College at Huntington and
finished her education in the Randolph-Macon College at
Lynchburg, Virginia. Three children have been born to
their marriage: George D., Jr., born in 1911; Jane, born in
1914; Chloe, born in 1917.

William Winfred Smith

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
November 26, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 321

WILLIAM WINFRED SMITH. To those who are interested
in the facts concerning the development of their community
there is something attractive in the lives of those who have
been connected with the law. The jurist and legist occupy
a place which can be filled by no others in our country and
under our form of government. While all may aspire to
and attain positions of high distinction in public life, the
man versed in the laws of the country must be depended
upon to conserve human rights and to see that each class
of our citizenship may have its representation in a legal
way. Of the lawyers of Cabell County who have attained
distinction in their profession during recent years, one whose
career has been more than ordinarily successful and who
has been the recipient of numerous honors is William Win-
fred Smith, of Huntington.

Mr. Smith was born in York County, Pennsylvania, Febru-
ary 24, 1877, a son of Henry N. and Mary A. (Hildebrand)
Smith, and received his early education in the public schools
of his native county and of Ceredo, Wayne County, West
Virginia, where he was a member of the first graduating
class, of 1894, graduated from the Ceredo High School. He
then entered Marshall College, Huntington, graduating in
1896, following which, in 1897 and 1898, he was principal
of the public schools of Kenova, West Virginia. In 1898 he
entered West Virginia University, from which he was
graduated with the class of 1902, receiving the degree of
Bachelor of Arts, and in the year 1904 was given his
Master of Arts degree from the same institution. He com-
pleted the law course 1905 and received the degree of
Bachelor of Laws and was admitted to the West Virginia
bar in the same year at Morgantown. Mr. Smith had a
somewhat remarkable college career. He was admitted to
membership in the Phi Sigma Kappa Greek letter fraternity,
was president of the college Young Men’s Christian Asso-
ciation in 1901, was president of the Parthenon Literary
Society during 1901, was editor-in-chief of the College
weekly, The Atheneum, in 1902, and during his senior year
of the academic course took the Wiles prize in oratory,
$100 in gold; the W. C. T. U. prize for an essay, and the
State Tax Commission prize for an essay, the subject of the
last named being “Taxation in West Virginia.”

On leaving college Mr. Smith practiced law at Morgan-
town from 1905 until 1910 and then came to Huntington,
where he has since carried on a general civil and criminal
practice, his offices being located at 300 and 301 First
National Bank Building. During his residence at Morgan-
town Mr. Smith was elected a member of the city council,
and rendered the service of compiling the ordinances of that
city. At present he is attorney for the town of Ceredo.
He holds membership in the Cabell County Bar Association,
the West Virginia Bar Association and the American Bar
Association. He took an active part in all local war move-
ments, helping in all the drives, serving on the Legal
Advisory Board of Cabell County and speaking throughout
the county as a “Four-Minute Man” in behalf of the
Liberty Loan campaigns, Red Cross and other patriotic
organizations, which he also assisted liberally with his
means. He is the editor and compiler of “The Honor
Roll of Cabell County, West Virginia,” an illustrated his-
torical and biographical record of Cabell County’s part in
the World war, perhaps the most elaborate work of its kind
of any county in the United States. In January, 1922, Mr.
Smith was appointed by Governor E. F. Morgan as a West
Virginia representative to the Illiteracy Commission of the
National Educational Association, and attended the first
conference, held at Chicago, February 24 and 25, 1922, at
which conference the slogan coined by Mr. Smith, “No
Illiteracy by 1930,” was adopted. He is also a member of
the Advisory Board of the Prisoners’ Belief Society of
Washington, D. C., and served as its managing director for
a time, and his interest in this direction is also indicated
by his membership in the American Sociological Congress.

Mr. Smith has a number of important business connec-
tions, being secretary of the Bungalow Land Company,
president of the Park City Oil & Gas Company, secretary
and treasurer of the Huntington Cannel Coal Company, and
secretary of the Cabell Oil and Gas Company, all of Hunt-
ington, and secretary of the Williams Sanitarium Company
of Kenova. He owns a modern residence at 232 Sixth
Avenue, a comfortable home in an attractive and exclusive
residential section of the city, and also holds some suburban
property. In polities he is a republican, and during 1904
and 1905 was a member of the city council of Morgantown.
His religious connection is with the Congregational Church,
of the movements of which he has been an active and gener-
ous supporter, and formerly served as state president of the
West Virginia Christian Endeavor Union.

Mr. Smith has been very prominent in fraternal affairs.
He is a member of Reese Camp No. 66, W. O. W., and is
past head consul of the jurisdiction of West Virginia of
the Woodmen of the World, this jurisdiction including West
Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and the District of Columbia.
He was twice sovereign delegate to the national conventions
and is a member of the sovereign law committee of the
Woodmen of the World. He is also a member of Hunting-
ton Lodge No. 33, Knights of Pythias, of which he is past
chancellor, and was for four years chairman of the judiciary
committee of the Grand Lodge of West Virginia of the
Knights of Pythias, now being grand inner guard of the
Grand Lodge of West Virginia of this order. He belongs
also to Huntington Council No. 191, Junior Order United
American Mechanics, and Huntington Lodge No. 347, Loyal
Order of Moose, and is treasurer of the Fraternal Society
Law Association of Chicago, Illinois, a national fraternal
legal association. Mr. Smith likewise holds membership in
the Huntington Chamber of Commerce and the Kiwanis
Club of Huntington.

On March 7, 1907, at Morgantown, Mr. Smith was united
in marriage with Miss Lide Allen Evans, a daughter of
Thomas R. and Delia (Allen) Evans, the latter of whom re-
sides with Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Mr. Evans, who died at
Morgantown in December, 1920, was a business man of that
city. The Evanses were pioneers into that part of Virginia
now included in West Virginia. Mrs. Smith is a member
of the Daughters of the American Revolution and of the
Mayflower Society of Connecticut, and is a direct descend-
ant of Elder William Brewster.

Ohio Valley Electric

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
March 18, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 346

the city street car lines in Huntington and interurban con-
nections with the surrounding territory. The total mileage
operated by the company is forty-six miles.

Very excellent street car service is provided on the lines,
which extend from the heart of the city over the principal
thoroughfares to all out-lying points, and the cars operated
are of a commodious, modern type, being all steel in con-
struction. Much of the system is double tracked. A
schedule of frequent headway of ears is maintained so as to
convenience the needs of the traveling public on the various

This company also operates an interurban system which
extends west along the Ohio River through the cities of
Ceredo and Kenova, West Virginia, and Catlettsburg and
Ashland, Kentucky, a distance of sixteen miles. Through
this populous territory is maintained a service which has a
headway of fifteen minutes between cars.

The Ohio Valley Electric Railway Company operates also
an electric line from Coal Grove, Ohio, through Ironton to
Hanging Rock, Ohio, and connection is made with this Ohio
line by ferry at Ashland, Kentucky.

Electric current is purchased by the Ohio Valley Electric
Railway Company from the Consolidated Light, Heat and
Power Company, which furnishes electric light and power
in Cabell and Wayne counties in West Virginia. The Con-
solidated Light, Heat and Power Company also sells at
wholesale electric current to the Boyd County Electric Com-
pany, which serves Catlettsburg and Ashland, Kentucky,
and the Ironton Electric Company, which serves Ironton,
Ohio. The central power station of the Consolidated Light,
Heat and Power Company is in Kenova, West Virginia.

In the very rapid industrial growth in all of this terri-
tory these lighting companies have been a most potent fac-
tor, as the rates for current are very equitable to every class
of service. Practically all industrial plants in this terri-
tory use electric current for power, and the availability of
ample electric current at reasonable rates has been instru-
mental in the low cost production of manufacturing plants
in this territory as compared with other sections.

Paul A. Boothe

Submitted by
Valerie Crook
September 12, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 223
Cabell County

PAUL A. BOOTHE. His professional work as a mining
and consulting engineer has brought Mr. Boothe an exten-
sive experience in a number of states, both East and West.
He recently established at Huntington the Paul A. Boothe
& Company, consulting engineers and architects, and the
firm serves a large and important clientele in the industrial
regions of this state.

Mr. Boothe was born at Fort Scott, Kansas, March 11,
1888. He is a descendant from the old English family of
Boothes. His ancestor, William De Boothe, obtained spe-
cial recognition from the Crown, and one of his sons, George
Boothe, was knighted, William De Boothe was a landed
proprietor in Lancashire, England. The grandfather of
Paul A. Boothe was William K. Boothe, who was born in
1840, and spent most of his life in the vicinity of Terre
Haute and Staunton, Indiana, where he was a farmer and
merchant. He finally disappeared, being last heard from at
Staunton in 1904.

Charles P. Boothe, father of Paul A., was born at Des
Moines, Iowa, in 1866, but grew up near Terre Haute, In-
diana, was a merchant at Rich Hill, Missouri, where he mar-
ried, lived for a very brief time in Fort Scott, Kansas, and
since 1895 his home has been at Kansas City, Missouri,
where he is in the lumber and coal business. He is inde-
pendent in polities, is a lay minister of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church, and is one of the highest Odd Fellows in
Missouri, being a past grand of the Grand Lodge of the
state. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of
America. Charles P. Boothe married Harriet Barber, who
was born at Streator, Illinois, in 1867. Paul A. is the old-
est of their children. Martha Charline is the wife of W.
Benjamin Wilson, their home being at Kansas City, while
his duties are with the Standard Oil Company’s plant at
Sugar Creek, Missouri. Robert, the third child, died in
infancy, and Gordon K., the youngest, is a heating engi-
neer in Kansas City, Missouri.

Paul A. Boothe acquired a public school education at
Kansas City, graduating from high school in 1906, and in
the course of his subsequent education attended the Uni-
versity of Missouri at Columbia, the Armour Institute of
Technology in Chicago, and the Montana School of Mines
at Butte. He graduated from the Montana school with
the degree of Metallurgist and Mining Engineer in 1916.
In the meantime he had performed a widely varied service
in engineering and construction work in Missouri, Illinois,
Minnesota and Montana. For two years he was assistant
chief engineer for the Standard Oil Company of Indiana,
and after his graduation from the school of mines he
returned to Chicago, and was in business in that city as a
consulting engineer until May, 1917. He then went to
Butte, Montana, to take charge of the designing of a con-
crete shaft to be placed in Granite Mountain for the North
Butte Mining Company. He remained there until October,
1917, acting as consulting engineer. In October, 1917, he
established himself in practice at Denver, Colorado, and
in the spring of 1919 became associated with the Lloyd-
Thomas Company of Chicago, Illinois, industrial engineers
and appraisers.

Mr. Boothe came to Huntington and on January 1, 1921,
established the Paul A. Boothe Company, consulting engi-
neers and architects. He is president of the company,
whose offices are in the Wilson Building on Tenth Street.

Mr. Boothe’s church preferences are the Episcopal, but
his affiliations are with the Methodist Church. He is a mem-
ber of the West Side Country Club and West Side Com-
mercial Club of Huntington. On April 30, 1914, at St.
Paul, Minnesota, he married Miss Elsa Helen White, daugh-
ter of Benjamin Stuart and Caroline (Beiswenger) White.
Her father, who died at Madisonville, Ohio, was a successful
attorney. Her mother died at Chicago, June 2, 1914. Mrs.
Boothe is a graduate of the Hinshaw Conservatory of Mu-
sic at Chicago, and attended the American Conservatory in
the same city. She is a soprano and has appeared with
success on the concert, lyceum and opera stage. Mr. and
Mrs. Boothe have two children: Helen Adair, born May
24, 1917, and Barbara Ann, born November 16, 1919.


Richard Williams

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
November 26, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 341

RICHARD WILLIAMS. The coal industry of West Vir-
ginia has furnished an opportunity for the achievement of
success and position by many men of the younger genera-
tion, who have assumed responsibilities formerly assumed
or gained only by men many years their senior. It is
doubtful, however, if there are many who have accomplished
in the same length of time what has been achieved by
Richard Williams, who has already become a well-known
figure in the industry mentioned and who occupies the
position of president of the Glogora Coal Company of Hunt-

Mr. Williams was born at Shamokin, Pennsylvania, Febru-
ary 6, 1891, a son of Morris and Jennie (Stager) Williams.
His father, now a resident of Overbrook, Pennsylvania, was
born in 1855, in Monmouthshire, Wales, and was one year
of age when brought to the United States by his parents,
the family settling near Hazelton, Pennsylvania, where he
was reared. Morris Williams received the equivalent of a
college education, studying under a private tutor, and was
married at Hazelton, following which. event he was the
superintendent of a Wyoming gold mine for a time. Re-
turning to the East, he became president of the Susque-
hanna Coal Company, residing at Overbrook, a suburb of
Philadelphia, whence he directed the policy of this concern
as the head of the Pennsylvania Railroad coal interests. Mr.
Williams retired in 1918. He is a Presbyterian in religion
and for many years has been an elder and member of the
board of trustees in the Philadelphia Presbyterian Church.
In politics he is a republican, and his fraternal affiliation is
with the Masonic order. Mr. Williams married Miss Jennie
Stager, who was born in 1863, at Audenreid, Pennsylvania,
and they became the parents of three children: Margaret
Morris, who is the wife of George B. Garrett, a broker of
Germantown, Pennsylvania; Richard, of this notice; and
Jean Stager, who is unmarried and makes her home with her
parents at Overbrook.

Richard Williams attended a private institution of learn-
ing, the Lawrenceville School, of Lawrenceville, New Jersey,
following which he enrolled as a student at Princeton Uni-
versity and attended that college until through the junior
year. By this time he was anxious to enter upon his busi-
ness career, and accordingly secured employment as a mem-
ber of the engineer corps of the Susquehanna Coal Com-
pany, which position he retained for one year. For the
following six months he was in the mechanical engineering
department and for one year in the electrical engineering
department, and then, formed a new connection, going to the
Southeast Coal Company as mine superintendent at Seco,
Kentucky. He spent one and one-half years with this firm
and then went with a selling company, the Middle-West Coal
Company, of which he became Western sales manager, with
headquarters at Detroit, Michigan. Both of these com-
panies were ones in which Mr. Williams’ father was im-
portantly interested.

On May 18, 1917, Mr. Williams enlisted at Philadelphia
in the United States Navy, and went to Cape May, where he
spent two months, being then transferred to the United
States Naval Academy at Annapolis, where he was com-
missioned an ensign November 17, 1917. He was then
assigned to the cruiser Des Moines, on convoy duty for the
remainder of the war, and received his honorable discharge
in December, 1918. Like others engaged in the same duty,
he had numerous thrilling experiences during his naval
duties, but came through all his adventures safely and with
a creditable record. Upon his return to civilian life he
came to Huntington and established the Glogora Coal Com-
pany, which is incorporated under the state laws of West
Virginia, and which operates a mine on Beaver Creek, Floyd
County, Kentucky, and another on Coal River, Raleigh
County, West Virginia, these mines having an approximate
capacity of 400,000 tons a year. Mr. Williams, who oc-
cupies offices at 704-5-6 First National Bank Building,
Huntington, is president and treasurer of this concern, and
is likewise vice president of the Northeast Coal Company.
He is a young business man of the energetic and result-
attaining type, and has the fullest confidence and regard
of his associates. In polities he is a republican, but political
matters have played only a minor part in his career, and his
religious identification is with the Presbyterian Church.
He holds membership in the Guyan Country Club of Hunt-
ington and the Union League of Philadelphia.

In June, 1919, Mr. Williams was united in marriage at
Philadelphia with Miss Louise Brown, daughter of George
and Lucy (Buckner) Brown, the latter of whom is a resi-
dent of Philadelphia, where Mr. Brown, who was vice presi-
dent of the Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron Com-
pany, died. Mrs. Williams is a woman of numerous graces
and accomplishments and a graduate of Dana Hall,
Wellesley. To Mr. and Mrs. Williams there has come one
daughter, Janet, who was born at Philadelphia, July 2,

John Hugh Robinett

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
July 9, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 467-468

JOHN HUGH ROBINETT, D. O., of Huntington, West
Virginia, is one of the leading practitioners of osteopathy
in the state. He was born at Mechanicsburg, Bland County,
Virginia, August 29, 1886, and is a descendant of one of
the early families of the Old Dominion. His father, James
Ward Robinett, was born at Kimberling, Bland County, in
1861, where he was reared and educated. At Point Pleas-
ant, Virginia, he married Sue Jane Hoge, of Wise County,
and began a prosperous career as a farmer and as proprietor
and owner of a saw and flouring mill at that place. On
September 1, 1904, he moved to Athens, West Virginia,
where his wife died May 18, 1921, on the fifty-eighth
anniversary of her birth. Since establishing his residence at
Athens Mr. Robinett has been engaged in the general con-
tracting business. The children of this union in order of
birth are: Lillie Hoge, John H. (of this sketch), Lakie
Estelle, Annie Jane, Sarah Lee, Hazel Ward and Cleo Idell.

Doctor Robinett acquired his early education in the rural
schools of his native county, and after the removal of the
family to Athens, West Virginia, he graduated from the
Concord State Normal School in both the academic and
normal departments in 1908. After his graduation he was
employed as principal of schools at Chattaroy, Mingo
County, and in the year of 1910 he attended the University
of West Virginia at Morgantown. He then entered the
American School of Osteopathy at Kirksville, Missouri, the
original school of its kind. From this school he graduated
as a member of the class of 1914, with the degree of Doctor
of Osteopathy, under Dr. Andrew Taylor Still, who founded
the science in. 1874. Prior to his graduation Doctor Robi-
nett had been associated in practice with Dr. B. M. Thomas
at Fort Scott, Kansas. In 1914 he came to Huntington,
where he has built up a large and representative practice
and gained high standing in his profession. He has also
extended his professional education with other schools.
Since establishing his office in Huntington he has graduated
from the School of Orificial Surgery, Des Moines, Iowa,
and during the summer of 1922 he attended a special post-
graduate course in the Electronic Reactions of Abrama,
given by Dr. Albert Abrams, A. M., M. D., LL. D., F. R.
M. S., of San Francisco.

At Huntsville, Missouri, on the 2d of August, 1916,
Doctor Robinett married Miss Margaret Mae Thomas, who
had been a successful teacher in the public schools of Mis-
souri. She is a graduate of the Huntsville High School,
and received her professional training in the State Teachers
College at Kirksville. Mrs. Robinett is a daughter of
William and Elizabeth (Jones) Thomas. Her father, who
is now deceased, was a coal operator at Huntsville, Missouri,
where his widow now resides. Doctor and Mrs. Robinett
have two children: Mary Elizabeth, born October 14,
1917; and Paul Ward, born July 30, 1921.

Doctor Robinett is an influential member of the West
Virginia Osteopathic Society, of which he served two years
as president, and as chairman of the legislative committee
of the same society since 1916. He is a member of the
American Osteopathie Association, and has represented his
state society in the House of Delegates of this association
for two years. He is also a member of the American
Osteopathie Society of Ophthalmology and Oto-Laryn-
gology;; the National League for the Prevention of Spinal
Curvature; the International Society for Lymphatic Re-
search, and the American Association of Orificial Surgeons.

The doctor is a liberal and progressive citizen. He is a
member of the local Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary
Club and Business Men’s Association. He and his wife
are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
South, where he has served as a member of the board of
stewards, and as president of the Epworth League. In the
Masonic fraternity his affiliations are with Huntington
Lodge No. 53, A. F. and A. M.; Huntington Chapter No. 6,
R. A. M.; Huntington Lodge of Perfection No. 4; Hunting-
ton Chapter, Knights of the Rose Croix No. 4; and West
Virginia Consistory No. 1, A. A. S. R., at Wheeling. He
is also a member of Beni-Kedem Temple of the Mystic
Shrine at Charleston.

J. P. Snyder

Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
July 9, 2000

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 464

J. P. SNYDER. Lewis County honors J. P. Snyder for
length of years, industry and faithful performance of duty,
his military record as a soldier of the Confederacy, and
good citizenship at all times.

Mr. Snyder is still living in the house where he was
born, January 7, 1839, son of Peter and May 0. (Stone)
Snyder. His father was a native of Highland County and
his mother of Pendleton County, old Virginia, and after
their marriage they settled in Lewis County, in what is
now West Virginia, in 1837. Peter Snyder acquired 400
acres of land when he came to Lewis County, and out of
the prosperity he gained he subsequently owned 640 acres
and was a man of substance and high standing. He was
a democrat in politics and a member of the Methodist
Church. His first wife died, and he then married a Miss
Flesher, and by that union had one child, Peter Snyder,
Jr. By his first wife, Miss Stone, there were six children:
Saloma, who became the wife of Daniel Hoover; Jeremiah;
Hezekiah and Uriah, both deceased; Josiah P.; and Mary
C., deceased.

Josiah P. Snyder grew up on the home farm, acquired
a good education in the nearby schools, and his duties and
interests were largely centered at the old homestead until
the outbreak of the Civil war. He then joined the Con-
federate Army, was in the commissary department under
General Jackson, and was in the struggle until the close.
He was in several battles, but was never wounded. After
the war he resumed his place on the home farm, and has
steadily carried on his industry as a general farmer and
stockman. He has 600 acres in Lewis County, his home
being two miles from Weston, on the Parkersbnrg and
Weston Pike. Mr. Snyder is a democrat.

Harry Hairston Darnall

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: DARNALL, Harry Hairston (published 1923)
Submitted by
Valerie Crook
September 16, 1999

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 240-241
Cabell County

HARRY HAIRSTON DARNALL. While he has been a mem-
ber of the West Virginia bar only fifteen years, nothing
less than a state-wide reputation attaches to the name of
Harry Hairston Darnall of Huntington. His forte has been
the criminal law. Numerous causes celebre have tested
his resourcefulness in this branch of the law. In the prep-
aration of his cases, and in the presence of court and jury,
he rises to some of the highest standards that have been
used to measure the attainments of eminent lawyers of
either the present or past generations.

Mr. Darnall comes of a distinguished old Virginian fam-
ily. His great-grandfather was Henry Darnall, a native of
Virginia. His grandfather, Richard Darnall, was born in
Giles County, that state, in 1810, and was a planter and
slave owner before the Civil war and spent his active life
in Franklin and Giles counties. He died in Floyd County,
Virginia, in 1896. His wife was Sarah Hardaman, who
was born in Franklin County in 1810, and died in Floyd
County in 1898.

The father of the Huntington attorney was a well-known
Virginia banker and business man, Henry Mauze Darnall.
He was born in Giles County, September 13, 1859, spent his
early life in Giles and Franklin counties, and in 1881 mar-
ried at Martinsville in Henry County. He remained in
Henry County until 1882, operating a tobacco plantation.
Then, in 1882, he became assistant cashier of the old
Roanoke Trust, Loan and Safe Deposit Company at Roanoke.
He was with that institution a number of years, was for a
time general manager of the Gas and Water Company of
Roanoke, was president and manager of several land com-
panies, and for several years before his death was commis-
sioner of revenue of the City of Roanoke. He retired from
business in 1915, and died at Roanoke July 16, 1916. He
founded and incorporated the First State Bankers Asso-
ciation of Virginia. Outside of business his influence was
steadily exerted in behalf of better schools, and he was one
of the citizens of Roanoke who did most to establish per-
manent and a high class school system. For a number of
years he was president of the city school board. He was
also president of the city council a number of years. In
politics he was a democrat, and was a devout member of
the Presbyterian Church. Fraternally he enjoyed the im-
portant honor of grand keeper of records and seals in the
Grand Lodge of Knights of Pythias of Virginia, and was
a member of four other fraternal organizations.

Henry M. Darnall married Mary Louise Hairston, who
while retaining a summer home in Eoanoke resides at Brad-
entown, Florida.

Through his mother Harry H. Darnall is related to one
of the oldest and most substantial of Virginia families. His
mother’s grandfather, George Hairston, was born in Henry
County, and died at Hordesville in that county. He was
owner of about 90,000 acres comprised in plantations in
Henry, Patrick, Floyd and Franklin counties. A man of
wealth, he was prominent in public affairs, and for thirty
years was a member of the Senate or House of Delegates of
Virginia. He was elected to office even after he was eighty
years of age. Robert Hairston, maternal grandfather of
Harry H. Darnall, was born in Henry County in 1824, and
for many years he owned and operated and lived upon the
Roundabout Plantation in Henry County. Prior to the Civil
war he was considered one of the largest slave holders in
the state. He and his brother George owned 7,000 acres in
Henry County. In his time and even now there is no su-
perior tobacco land in the country to that comprised in the
Roundabout Plantation. On this plantation he lived out
his life and died there in 1903. Robert Hairston married
Miss Elizabeth Saunders, who was born at the pretentious
country home of the Saunders family known as Bleak Hill
in Franklin County, Virginia. She was born in 1825 and
died in Henry County in 1890.

Henry M. Darnall and wife had a family of four children,
the oldest being Mary, wife of Mercer Hartman, an attor-
ney at Norfolk, Virginia. Harry Hairston is the second in
age. Thomas Mauze is an attorney, member of the law firm
of Hoge and Darnall at Roanoke. Elizabeth is the wife of
Edward J. Snyder, who owns and operates a large orchard
near Roanoke.

Harry Hairston Darnall was born at the old family plan-
tation in Henry County May 13, 1884. He acquired a pub-
lic school education in Roanoke, graduating from high school
in 1902, spent three years in the Virginia Polytechnic Insti-
tute at Blacksburg, and in 1905 entered Washington and
Lee University at Lexington, Virginia, to pursue his law
course. He remained there two years, and in June, 1907,
was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of Virginia.
In July following his admission to the Virginia bar he
came to West Virginia and for three years practiced at
Beckley. For two years of that time he was town recorder,
and he also acted as mayor part of one term. In 1910 he
removed to Huntington, and since then has been one of the
busiest members of the local bar of that city. Probably 80
per cent of his law practice is in the criminal branch of the
law. There has hardly been an important criminal case
tried in Cabell County since 1910 with which he has not
been identified. His practice as a criminal lawyer is by no
means confined to this one county. His law offices are at
803 Fifth Avenue.

Mr. Darnall is a democrat, a Presbyterian, has twice been
exalted ruler of Huntington Lodge No. 313, Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, has served as district deputy grand
exalted ruler of the West Virginia Elks, is a member of
the Guyan Country Club and belongs to several social or-
ganizations. Mr. Darnall owns a fine suburban home, a
brick residence situated on twenty-seven acres of land
along the Barboursville Road. He has acquired other real
estate in Cabell County. During the World war he em-
ployed his profession and all his personal influence to aid
the Government in the successful prosecution of the war.
He was a member of all the committees for raising funds,
was on the legal advisory board of the county, and spent
much time helping recruits fill out questionnaires.

In Huntington, June 4, 1908, he married Miss Em
Holderby, daughter of Edward and Columbia A. (Stewart)
Holderby, the latter still living in Huntington. Her father,
who died at Huntington in 1890, was a prosperous farmer
of Cabell County, and he owned the old Holderby homestead
on the Sixteenth Street Road. One-half of the modern City
of Huntington is built on the old Holderby farm, which
was patented in 1790. Mrs. Darnall was liberally educated
in Marshall College of Huntington and the Virginia College
at Roanoke. Two children have come into the home of Mr.
and Mrs. Darnall, Harry Holderby, born April 30, 1910,
and Lucy Holderby, born March 15, 1919.