Category Archives: Cabell

William H. F. Dement

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
“John “Bill” Wheeler”
wheeler@gru.net
December 10, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume ll.
pg. 115-116

William H.F. Dement. During the ten years required to advance himself from
the rank of messenger to cashier of the Huntington National Bank, Mr. Dement
manifested an unflagging devotion to his work and the ideals of service
exemplified by that institution. His influential and useful place in the
business community is a reward of merit, a distinction well worth the effort
required to achieve it.
Mr. Dement was born in Proctorville, Ohio, June 4, 1889. His paternal
ancestry came originally from France and Germany. His grandfather, William
Dement, was born in Noble County, Ohio, following the trade of blacksmith in
Lawrence County, and died near Wilgus in that state. His great-great-grandfather
carried the first mail in a canoe, from Mariette to Cincinnati, Ohio. Henry E.
Dement, father of the Huntington banker, was born near Wilgus, in Lawrence
County in 1853, grew up there on a farm. became a blacksmith at Bradrick, Ohio,
where he married, and since about 1880 has lived at Proctorville. With the
development of the automobile he adapted his trade to the requirements of that
industry, and for a number of years he has owned and operated a public garage.
Since 1919 he has owned a farm and large apple orchard in that section of Ohio.
He is a republican. His wife, Cors J. Forgey, is a daughter of James Gorey, a
captain on the Mississippi River during the Civil War. She is a granddaughter
of Gen. A.F. Fuller of the war of 1812. Mrs. Dement was born at Bradrick, Ohio,
in 1860. Of their children, Ruby D., a resident of Huntington is a widow of
Charles Heinz, who was a blacksmith; Carl is manager of the home farm at
Proctorville; Orla E. is associated in business with his father; Roma is the
wife of Charles E. Rose, a millwright at Guyandotte, West Virginia; William H.F.
is the fifth child; Velmer is also associated with his father in business; and
Valgene is connected with the home farm.
William H.F. Dement graduated from the Proctorville High School in 1907,
and soon afterward came to Huntington, graduating from Booth Business College
of that city in 1910. Mr. Dement on October 29, 1911, began his service with
the Huntington National Bank as a messenger boy. His increasing experience and
ability brought him successive promotions, and he did the work of individual
bookkeeper, discount bookkeeper and general bookkeeper, was promoted to
assistant cashier and on August 1, 1921, was elected cashier, Besides his
executive duties with this large and important bank he is interested in the
home farm and orchard.
Mr. Dement is a republican, is affiliated with the Proctorville Lodge No.
550, A.F. and A.M., Huntington Lodge No.313, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the Tri-State Credit and
Adjustment Bureau. Recently, in 1922, he completed one of the excellent homes
in a restricted residential section at 51 Ninth Avenue.
The only important interruption to his service with the Huntington National
Bank came in the World War. June 14, 1918, he enlisted, was sent to the
Training Detachment Public Schools at Hughes High School in Cincinnati, was
there two months and was then transferred to the one hundred and fifty-fourth
Depot Brigade at Camp Meade, Maryland. On August 14, 1918, he was assigned to
Company H of the Seventy-first Infantry in the Lafayette or Eleventh Division
and later was transferred and assigned to the personnel office. He received his
honorable discharge January 31, 1919, with the rank of Corporal. Mr. Dement is
unmarried.

William Carter Wickham Renshaw

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

746

RENSHAW, WILLIAM CARTER WICKHAM.
(Democrat.) Address: Huntington, West Va. Born
November 19, 1882, at Teneriffe, Canary Islands, was
educated at the University of Virginia and received from
that institution the degrees of B. A. and M. A.; is a
practicing attorney; received his professional education
at the University of Virginia and the University of West
Virginia; was elected in 1916 as one of the delegates from
Cabell county; in 1917 was made chairman of the com-
mittee on Taxation and Finance and filled the position
in an able and satisfactory manner; served also on the
Judiciary, Labor, Elections and Privileges, and Mines
and Mining committees.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

William Nathan Clay

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 733

Members of the House of Delegates.

CLAY, WILLIAM NATHAN. (Democrat.) Address:
Barboursville. Was born in Wayne county, West Virginia,
April 3, 1865, and received his education in the public
schools of that county; farmer by occupation; elected Jus-
tice of the Peace of Barboursville District in the years 1904,
1908 and 1912; elected as one of the representatives from
Cabell county in the House of Delegates in 1916; in the
sessions of 1917 was assigned to and served on standing
committees, as follows: Elections and Privileges, Insur-
ance, Humane Institutions and Public Buildings, Edu-
cation, Executive Offices and Library.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Marshall A. Maxwell

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: MAXWELL, Marshall A. (published 1923)
*******************************************************************
Submitted by
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 15, 1999
********************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 208

MARSHALL A. MAXWELL, assistant to the president of the
A. J. King coal interests, with headquarters at Huntington,
is an electrical and mechanical engineer with twenty years
of experience in mining and public utilities in different
parts of the United States and Canada.

He was born at St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada,
January 14, 1875, son of Joseph Henry and Emily (An-
drews) Maxwell. Both parents were of United Empire
Loyalist stock, the families being originally settled in Vir-
ginia and Connecticut. M. A. Maxwell was educated in
the common and provincial normal schools, spent some time
as a teacher, and in 1902 graduated from McGill Univer-
sity at Montreal with the degree Bachelor of Science in
electrical and mechanical engineering.

The same year he moved to Easton, Pennsylvania, became
assistant to the chief engineer of the Easton Power Com-
pany and was promoted to superintendent the same year.
>From 1904 to 1908 he was a member of the firm Beadle &
Maxwell, consulting engineers, with office at 82 Beaver
Street, New York. From 1908 to 1910 he was at Boston as
general superintendent of the Massachusetts Lighting Com-
panies, a group of gas and electric public service properties.

Going to Alberta in Northwest Canada in 1910, on ac-
count of his health, Mr. Maxwell formed the engineering
and contracting firm of Maxwell & Mackenzie. This firm
covered a broad and successful field of operations until the
outbreak of the war, when the entire personnel enlisted with
the Canadian Expeditionary Force except Mr. Maxwell, who
was rejected on account of age and physical condition.
While in Northwest Canada Mr. Maxwell was instrumental
in the development and operation of the Round Hill Col-
lieries, Limited, of which he was managing director, the
Spicer Coal Company and the Stoney Creek Collieries,
Limited, of Alberta, in all of which he is a large stock-
holder.

Mr. Maxwell in February, 1915, came to Logan, West Vir-
ginia, as general manager of the Logan County Light &
Power Company, a corporation organized to supply electric
power to the coal fields of Logan County and vicinity. This
company was successfully developed, and was sold to the
newly formed Kentucky and West Virginia Power Company
in 1919. At that date Mr. Maxwell retired and has since
been associated with A. J. King in the administration of
coal properties, and is also interested in various other
public service corporations.

Mr. Maxwell is an associate member of the American
Institute of Electrical Engineers, the Engineering Institute
of Canada, is an executive of the Kentucky and West Vir-
ginia Mine, Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and is a
member of fifteen years’ standing on the Engineers Club of
New York. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and
the Masonic Order. In December, 1902, he married Edna
Beatrice Clinch, of St. Andrews, New Brunswick.

William Presley Mcaboy

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 727

McABOY, WILLIAM PRESLEY. (Republican.) Ad-
dress: Huntington, West Va. Born at Rutland, Ohio, Sep-
tember 12, 1858; educated in the public schools and at Rio
Grande, Ohio; spent most active part of his life on farm and
teaching school in Putnam and Cabell counties; elected
Sheriff of Putnam county in 1900; is now cashier of the Twen-
tieth Street Bank, Huntington; elected to Senate from the
Fifth District in 1914; served on the following committees in
sessions of 1917: Prohibition and Temperance (Chairman) ;
Public Library (Chairman); Privileges and Elections,
Finance, Counties and Municipal Corporations, Banks and
Corporations, Insurance, Forfeited and Unappropriated
Lands, Public Printing, Rules, Virginia Debt.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Marshall College

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 6, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 441

MARSHALL COLLEGE, which is Huntington’s largest institu-
tion contributing to the reputation of that city as an
educational center, is primarily a teachers’ college, pre-
paring students to teach and supervise, but a great many
men and women have received a portion of their general
education there in preparation for business or professional
careers.

The present institution is the outgrowth of Marshall
Academy, established in 1837, shortly after the death of
Chief Justice John Marshall, of the Supreme Court of the
United States, in whose honor the school was named. It
was organized as a private institution. In 1856 the work
of the Academy was enlarged and reorganized, and the
name changed to Marshall College.

The Civil war greatly affected the fortunes of the school.
So serious was the situation at its close that a number of
leading citizens in this section of the new state of West
Virginia succeeded in having the Legislature take it over
as a state normal school; normal in name, but wholly
academic in organization and in fact, and such it remained
with varying fortune, save a little teaching of pedagogy,
school management, etc., until 1897, when a practice school
of one grade was organized; but the state refused to sup-
port it, and, accordingly, this nucleus was abandoned after
two years of unappreciated effort to develop the normal
training feature, and the school continued as an academic
institution as before.

In January, 1902, the department of education was or-
ganized, and a model or practice school for teachers was
opened. This was the first step toward normal school work
in the state, and the school has since then been officially
known as Marshall College.

The school was established on the site of the present
eastern section of College Hall thirty-four years before the
founding of the City of Huntington. None of the records
of the school during the period of time it was an academy
are preserved. During the time of the war they were lost
or destroyed, and it has been impossible to bring together
any reliable data concerning the early days. All reliable
statistics with reference to Marshall College date from the
year 1867.

The president of Marshall College is Frederic R. Hamil-
ton, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin. The vice
president and professor of literature is C. E. Haworth, a
graduate of Colgate University.

William Joseph Quinn

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 321-322
Cabell

WILLIAM JOSEPH QUINN, president of the General Coal
Company at Huntington, has secured standing as one of the
progressive and substantial business men of the younger
generation in this city. He was born at Girardville, Penn-
sylvania, April 7, 1894, and is a son of William Joseph
Quinn, Sr., and Lucy (Griffiths) Quinn, both natives of the
old Keystone State, where the former was born in 1863
and the latter, in Schuylkill County, in 1866. The father
became fire boss for coal mines in the district near Girard-
ville, Pennsylvania, and was only thirty-three years of age
when he met his death in a mine explosion at Lost Creek,
Pennsylvania, in 1896, his widow being still a resident of
Girardville. Mr. Quinn was a stanch republican, was affi-
liated with the Knights of Columbus, and was a com-
municant of the Catholic Church, as is also his widow. Of
the children the subject of this review was the fourth in
order of birth, and he was two years of age at the time of
his father’s tragic death; James is a resident of West
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and is a railroad employe;
Thomas is superintendent of the A. D. Cronin Coal Com-
pany at Accoville, West Virginia; Anna is the wife of
Arthur Brown, of Girardville, Pennsylvania, Mr. Brown
being an electrician in the service of the Philadelphia &
Reading Railroad Company; Robert S. is superintendent of
the U. S. Block Coal Company, with residence at Woodville,
West Virginia.

William J. Quinn graduated from the high school depart-
ment of Girard College in June, 1910, and thereafter he
worked in various clerical capacities until 1912, at Girard-
ville and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Atlantic City,
New Jersey. In 1912 he became a clerk for the Berwind
Lumber Company at Berwind, West Virginia, and six
months later became shipping clerk for the New River &
Poeahontas Consolidated Coal Company, which one year
later transferred him to similar service in the City of
Charleston. In 1914 he accepted a position as salesman with
the Winifrede Coal Company, the mines of which are in
Kanawha County, this state, and he was a representative
of this corporation at Cincinnati, Ohio, until 1917, when he
organized a company to take over the properties and busi-
ness of the Ruffner Coal Company of Accoville, Logan
County, West Virginia. He was concerned in the operation
of the mine of this company until August, 1920, and was
vice president and general manager of the company. In
1920 the Ruffner Coal Company sold its mine and business
to the A. D. Cronin Coal Company, in which Mr. Quinn
retained an interest and was made general manager, a posi-
tion of which he is still the incumbent. In 1919 the
Ruffner Coal Company acquired the .Franklin Mine in Boone
County, and this mine likewise is now owned by the A. D.
Cronin Coal Company, the aggregate output capacity of
whose mines is 175,000 tons of coal annually.

In 1919 Mr. Quinn purchased the U. S. Block Coal
Company’s mine and business, the mine having a capacity
for the production of 50,000 tons of bituminous coal a year,
and this property he still owns. In 1919 also he effected
the organization of the General Coal Company, for the
handling of the output of the mines with which he is iden-
tified, and of this sales company he has since continued
the president. He is president also of the U. S. Block Coal
Company, and his executive offices are at 918-919 Bobson-
Prichard Building in the City of Huntington. Mr. Quinn
is a stanch supporter of the cause of the republican party,
and is affiliated with Huntington Lodge No. 313, Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks.

In March, 1920, at Covington, Kentucky, was solemnized
the marriage of Mr. Quinn and Miss Vivian Brown, who
was born at Millersburg, that state, and who is a popular
factor in the social circles of Huntington.

George D. Miller

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
July 9, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 466-467
Cabell

GEORGE D. MILLER is one of the prominent young men
in the financial and business affairs of Huntington, and
a large group of important interests center in him. His
chief daily routine is in the First National Bank, of which
he is cashier. Mr. Miller was born at Huntington, Decem-
ber 20, 1887. His father, the late George F. Miller, came
to Huntington when a young man, and after his marriage
at Catlettsburg, Kentucky, settled here permanently. He
assisted in organizing the First National Bank of Hunting-
ton in 1884, and became its first cashier, holding that post
until his death. In the meantime he had done something
toward making this the largest bank in West Virginia in
point of capita] and resources. He was associated with the
group of men who really built up Huntington to an im-
portant city. He was a democrat, but in 1896 changed
politics on account of the free silver issue. He was an
active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
George F. Miller married Lucy McConnell, a native of
Catlettsburg, Kentucky, who died at Huntington. They
were the parents of three sons: James I. is a graduate of
the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore and is
practicing medicine at Huntington. Charles I. is in the
wholesale dry goods business at Seattle, Washington.

George D. Miller, the youngest of the sons, was educated
in the public schools of Huntington, and attended pre-
paratory schools at Charlottsville and Alexandria, Virginia.
He left school at the age of twenty, and soon afterward
became bookkeeper in the First National Bank of Hunting-
ton. He was promoted to teller, again to assistant cashier,
and since April, 1920, has been cashier of this institution,
now housed in the magnificent twelve-story business block
that is the outstanding structure in the Huntington district.
Mr. Miller is also a director of the bank.

He is associated with his brothers in the ownership of
several business buildings in Huntington, and among the
other interests that claim a share of his active energies
are the Huntington Land Company, of which he is secretary,
Ohio River Land Company, Pea Bidge Land Company,
Kenova-Huntington Land Company, and the Enslow Park
Realty Company, all of which he is treasurer, and he is
president of the Miller-Hunt Homes Company.

Mr. Miller votes as an independent. He is affiliated
with Huntington Lodge No. 313, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, the Huntington Rotary Club, Guyandotte
Club of Huntington, Huntington Country Club and West
Side Country Club. During the war he exerted himself in
behalf of all the patriotic causes, and was particularly
valuable in leading and insuring the success of the Liberty
Loan drives. Mr. Miller has a modern home at 1056 Sixth
Avenue. He married at Huntington in 1908 Miss Chloe
Doolittle, daughter of Judge and Mrs. Edward S. Doo-
little, now deceased. Her father was a prominent West
Virginia lawyer and judge of the Circuit Court. Mrs.
Miller is a graduate of Marshall College at Huntington and
finished her education in the Randolph-Macon College at
Lynchburg, Virginia. Three children have been born to
their marriage: George D., Jr., born in 1911; Jane, born in
1914; Chloe, born in 1917.

William Winfred Smith

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 321
Cabell

WILLIAM WINFRED SMITH. To those who are interested
in the facts concerning the development of their community
there is something attractive in the lives of those who have
been connected with the law. The jurist and legist occupy
a place which can be filled by no others in our country and
under our form of government. While all may aspire to
and attain positions of high distinction in public life, the
man versed in the laws of the country must be depended
upon to conserve human rights and to see that each class
of our citizenship may have its representation in a legal
way. Of the lawyers of Cabell County who have attained
distinction in their profession during recent years, one whose
career has been more than ordinarily successful and who
has been the recipient of numerous honors is William Win-
fred Smith, of Huntington.

Mr. Smith was born in York County, Pennsylvania, Febru-
ary 24, 1877, a son of Henry N. and Mary A. (Hildebrand)
Smith, and received his early education in the public schools
of his native county and of Ceredo, Wayne County, West
Virginia, where he was a member of the first graduating
class, of 1894, graduated from the Ceredo High School. He
then entered Marshall College, Huntington, graduating in
1896, following which, in 1897 and 1898, he was principal
of the public schools of Kenova, West Virginia. In 1898 he
entered West Virginia University, from which he was
graduated with the class of 1902, receiving the degree of
Bachelor of Arts, and in the year 1904 was given his
Master of Arts degree from the same institution. He com-
pleted the law course ..in 1905 and received the degree of
Bachelor of Laws and was admitted to the West Virginia
bar in the same year at Morgantown. Mr. Smith had a
somewhat remarkable college career. He was admitted to
membership in the Phi Sigma Kappa Greek letter fraternity,
was president of the college Young Men’s Christian Asso-
ciation in 1901, was president of the Parthenon Literary
Society during 1901, was editor-in-chief of the College
weekly, The Atheneum, in 1902, and during his senior year
of the academic course took the Wiles prize in oratory,
$100 in gold; the W. C. T. U. prize for an essay, and the
State Tax Commission prize for an essay, the subject of the
last named being “Taxation in West Virginia.”

On leaving college Mr. Smith practiced law at Morgan-
town from 1905 until 1910 and then came to Huntington,
where he has since carried on a general civil and criminal
practice, his offices being located at 300 and 301 First
National Bank Building. During his residence at Morgan-
town Mr. Smith was elected a member of the city council,
and rendered the service of compiling the ordinances of that
city. At present he is attorney for the town of Ceredo.
He holds membership in the Cabell County Bar Association,
the West Virginia Bar Association and the American Bar
Association. He took an active part in all local war move-
ments, helping in all the drives, serving on the Legal
Advisory Board of Cabell County and speaking throughout
the county as a “Four-Minute Man” in behalf of the
Liberty Loan campaigns, Red Cross and other patriotic
organizations, which he also assisted liberally with his
means. He is the editor and compiler of “The Honor
Roll of Cabell County, West Virginia,” an illustrated his-
torical and biographical record of Cabell County’s part in
the World war, perhaps the most elaborate work of its kind
of any county in the United States. In January, 1922, Mr.
Smith was appointed by Governor E. F. Morgan as a West
Virginia representative to the Illiteracy Commission of the
National Educational Association, and attended the first
conference, held at Chicago, February 24 and 25, 1922, at
which conference the slogan coined by Mr. Smith, “No
Illiteracy by 1930,” was adopted. He is also a member of
the Advisory Board of the Prisoners’ Belief Society of
Washington, D. C., and served as its managing director for
a time, and his interest in this direction is also indicated
by his membership in the American Sociological Congress.

Mr. Smith has a number of important business connec-
tions, being secretary of the Bungalow Land Company,
president of the Park City Oil & Gas Company, secretary
and treasurer of the Huntington Cannel Coal Company, and
secretary of the Cabell Oil and Gas Company, all of Hunt-
ington, and secretary of the Williams Sanitarium Company
of Kenova. He owns a modern residence at 232 Sixth
Avenue, a comfortable home in an attractive and exclusive
residential section of the city, and also holds some suburban
property. In polities he is a republican, and during 1904
and 1905 was a member of the city council of Morgantown.
His religious connection is with the Congregational Church,
of the movements of which he has been an active and gener-
ous supporter, and formerly served as state president of the
West Virginia Christian Endeavor Union.

Mr. Smith has been very prominent in fraternal affairs.
He is a member of Reese Camp No. 66, W. O. W., and is
past head consul of the jurisdiction of West Virginia of
the Woodmen of the World, this jurisdiction including West
Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and the District of Columbia.
He was twice sovereign delegate to the national conventions
and is a member of the sovereign law committee of the
Woodmen of the World. He is also a member of Hunting-
ton Lodge No. 33, Knights of Pythias, of which he is past
chancellor, and was for four years chairman of the judiciary
committee of the Grand Lodge of West Virginia of the
Knights of Pythias, now being grand inner guard of the
Grand Lodge of West Virginia of this order. He belongs
also to Huntington Council No. 191, Junior Order United
American Mechanics, and Huntington Lodge No. 347, Loyal
Order of Moose, and is treasurer of the Fraternal Society
Law Association of Chicago, Illinois, a national fraternal
legal association. Mr. Smith likewise holds membership in
the Huntington Chamber of Commerce and the Kiwanis
Club of Huntington.

On March 7, 1907, at Morgantown, Mr. Smith was united
in marriage with Miss Lide Allen Evans, a daughter of
Thomas R. and Delia (Allen) Evans, the latter of whom re-
sides with Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Mr. Evans, who died at
Morgantown in December, 1920, was a business man of that
city. The Evanses were pioneers into that part of Virginia
now included in West Virginia. Mrs. Smith is a member
of the Daughters of the American Revolution and of the
Mayflower Society of Connecticut, and is a direct descend-
ant of Elder William Brewster.

Ohio Valley Electric

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
March 18, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 346

THE OHIO VALLEY ELECTRIC RAILWAY COMPANY operates
the city street car lines in Huntington and interurban con-
nections with the surrounding territory. The total mileage
operated by the company is forty-six miles.

Very excellent street car service is provided on the lines,
which extend from the heart of the city over the principal
thoroughfares to all out-lying points, and the cars operated
are of a commodious, modern type, being all steel in con-
struction. Much of the system is double tracked. A
schedule of frequent headway of ears is maintained so as to
convenience the needs of the traveling public on the various
lines.

This company also operates an interurban system which
extends west along the Ohio River through the cities of
Ceredo and Kenova, West Virginia, and Catlettsburg and
Ashland, Kentucky, a distance of sixteen miles. Through
this populous territory is maintained a service which has a
headway of fifteen minutes between cars.

The Ohio Valley Electric Railway Company operates also
an electric line from Coal Grove, Ohio, through Ironton to
Hanging Rock, Ohio, and connection is made with this Ohio
line by ferry at Ashland, Kentucky.

Electric current is purchased by the Ohio Valley Electric
Railway Company from the Consolidated Light, Heat and
Power Company, which furnishes electric light and power
in Cabell and Wayne counties in West Virginia. The Con-
solidated Light, Heat and Power Company also sells at
wholesale electric current to the Boyd County Electric Com-
pany, which serves Catlettsburg and Ashland, Kentucky,
and the Ironton Electric Company, which serves Ironton,
Ohio. The central power station of the Consolidated Light,
Heat and Power Company is in Kenova, West Virginia.

In the very rapid industrial growth in all of this terri-
tory these lighting companies have been a most potent fac-
tor, as the rates for current are very equitable to every class
of service. Practically all industrial plants in this terri-
tory use electric current for power, and the availability of
ample electric current at reasonable rates has been instru-
mental in the low cost production of manufacturing plants
in this territory as compared with other sections.