Category Archives: Brooke

Elmer Hough

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770


pg. 726

HOUGH, ELMER. (Republican.) Address: Wells-
burg, West Va. Born in Westmoreland county, Pennsyl-
vania, January 15, 1866; educated in the common schools
and at California, (Pa.,) Normal and Ada University, Ohio;
is a civil engineer by profession and is also engaged in the
coal business; has served as President of the following or-
ganizations: Wellsburg Board of Trade, Wellsburg Board
of Education and the West Virginia S. A. A.; elected to the
Senate from the First District in 1916; is a hold-over Sena-
tor; committee assignments in 1917: Mines and Mining
(Chairman), Forfeited and Unappropriated Lands (Chair-
man); Privileges and Elections, Education, Roads and
Navigation, Penitentiary, Militia, Public Library.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Thomas Jones Mahan

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770



MAHAN, THOMAS JONES. (Republican.) Address:
Follansbee, West Va. Representative from Brooke county.
Born in Brooke county, Virginia (that part now being
Hancock county, West Virginia), in 1846; educated in
the common schools and at Mount Union College, Alliance,
Ohio; extensively engaged in the real estate business; has
served as a member and President of the Board of Educa-
tion of Crow Creek District of Brooke county, and as
Mayor of Follansbee; elected to the legislature in 1916,
he served in the 1917 sessions on the following commit-
tees: Immigration and Agriculture, Humane Institutions
and Public Buildings and Prohibition.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Wellsburg Nation

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 601

THE WELLSBURG NATIONAL BANK is one of the most sub-
stantial and important financial institutions of Brooke
County and its judicial center, the City of Wellsburg. This
historic old institution dates its foundation back to the
year 1832, when it instituted operations under the cor-
porate title of Northwestern Bank of Virginia, or as the
Wellsburg branch of that pioneer banking corporation, the
parent institution being the National Bank of Virginia at
Wheeling. John C. Campbell, an attorney, became the first
president of the Wellsburg bank, and of him mention is
made in the general historical department of this publica-
tion. In 1863 a reorganization took place, and the institu-
tion acquired charter as the First National Bank of Wells-
burg. Another reorganization, in 1871, resulted in the
adoption of the present corporate title, the Wellsburg Na-
tional Bank. Mr. Campbell, the first president, eventually
removed from Wellsburg to Wheeling and became one of
the leading members of the bar of that city. Samuel
Jacob, whose son Frank still resides at the old family home-
stead, was a director of the bank until his death. W. K.
Pendleton, president of Bethany College, became president
of the bank, and thus served until about 1882, when he be-
came president of the college mentioned. John C. Palmer,
who received his personal names in honor of John C.
Campbell, the first president of the institution, became pres-
ident of the bank, and continued its executive head until
his death in 1905, when he was succeeded by his son John
C., Jr., the present incumbent. J. S. Beall, father of Colo-
nel Beall, was active in the affairs of the bank for many
years, as were also his brother, Wilson Beall, and Adam
Kuhn. Since 1871 the Wellsburg National Bank has based
its operations on a capital stock of $100,000. In 1905 its
resources were about $300,000, and to-day the resources
are in excess of $1,000,000. The bank still occupies the
substantial building that was erected for its use in 1836
and which is now one of the venerable landmarks of Brooke

Submitted by: Valerie & Tommy Crook
Date: July 24, 2000

Robert Wylie

Source: Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of
Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).

ROBERT WYLIE (or better known as “Bob Wylie, the wool buyer”), the
subject of this sketch, is of Scotch-Irish descent. His ancestors
were known as leaders in the reformation of the Church of Scotland,
and several of them were banished from Scotland and Ireland for
their adherence to the principles of the new Church. His grandfather,
Robert Wylie, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1743, and came
to America with several of his half-brothers about 1761. They first
stopped in the east, and further west, at Thompsontown, on the
Juniata river, he married, about the close of war of the Revolution,
Jane Thompson, daughter of John Thompson, and sister to Col. William
Thompson and Capt. Isaac Thompson, of the Revolutionary army.

About 1780, with his wife, he came west to Washington county,
and took up a tract of 600 acres of land (the main body of which
is now owned and occupied by the four sons of the late David McClay,
of Canton township), and on this land he built a log house in which
he lived for some years, or until about 1800, when he put up the
stone house which still stands, and is the present dwelling of
Samuel McClay. Through this farm was the main Indian trail from
the west to the dwelling of the great Chief Catfish, whose cabin
stood on the bank of Catfish creek, at the foot of what is now
Main street in Washington. (A chief watering place was a spring on
this farm, where the wandering Indian always stopped to quench his
thirst). He built a trade mill and distillery, thus opening a market
for the grain raised in the neighborhood; he was also largely
interested in salting pork for many years; later he started a wagon
train, hauling products east, principally to Baltimore. He was a
member of the Associate Reformed Church, and for many years an elder
in the church at North Buffalo. In the burying ground around this old
church his and his wife’s remains lie at rest. Their family consisted
of three sons Robert, William and John and five daughters Ann
(Brownlee), Jane (Humphreys), Sarah (Hodgens), Elizabeth (Moore) and
Mary (Crothers). Many of the descendants of his daughters reside in
Washington county and eastern Ohio. John Wylie married and settled in
Ohio, where he became a successful stock dealer and farmer; William
and Robert remained at home until 1834, when William sold his
interest in the home farm to Robert; later, Robert sold the farm to
David McClay and Bros., and soon followed his old partner in
business, John Garrett (they having been associated together for
several years in a store at West Middletown), to Baltimore, Md.,
where he acquired a considerable fortune. He died in 1872, unmarried.

William Wylie, father of Robert Wylie, Jr., was born on the old Wylie
farm, September 25, 1800, and received a good education, having
attended Washington College several terms. In 1829 he was married to
Mary, daughter of James Clark, of Hopewell township, and after
marriage he remained on the home farm four years, having in the
meantime built a frame residence a short distance from the old stone
house. In 1834, three years after the death of his father, he moved
to the Razor Town farm of 210 acres, which he had purchased a year
or two before. Razor Town, from which the farm took its name, was a
village of twenty-six houses and cabins, with one good- sized tavern
having a dozen rooms, and a blacksmith shop, race-course, etc. This
point was known as a horse-trading post, and from the fact that many
sharp deals were made there the place took the name of “Razor Town.”
William, thinking that creditable neighbors could not dwell in such
houses, immediately set about to remove them, and in a few years the
little town passed out of existence. On the spot where the old tavern
stood he put up a set of weigh scales, which continued in use until
1878; he built the present farm house, and occupied it until his
death in 1877. His occupation was that of a farmer, and for many
years he killed and salted about 1,000 hogs annually at his home.
He was also a stock dealer (buying stock in West Virginia and Ohio),
driving it east to Philadelphia and New York, and strange to say he
never made but one trip over the mountains with his stock, as he
trusted them to employees until his son Robert was old enough to
take charge of them, which he did at a very early age. In partnership
with his brother- in-law, David Clark, he owned and kept a general
store for fifteen years in what is now known as the “Howe building”
on Main street, Washington, between Chestnut and Beau streets. He
hoped to make a store keeper of his son Robert, but the latter
strongly objected to being tied down so closely to business. He sold
the store in about 1849. He also dealt in wool, and in 1845 he built
the frame warehouse on West Chestnut street, which is now occupied by
R. Wylie & Sons, in the same business. William Wylie was a member of
church for fifty years, first at North Buffalo and then at Washington,
and was one of the organizers of the U. P. Church at Washington, of
which he was a member. In politics he was originally a Whig, afterward
a Republican. He was never an aspirant for office, but nevertheless
was recognized as one of the best posted men of his time in matters
political, and always took an active part in the issues of the day.
His hospitality was widely known, and his table never wanted for
guests. His rifle shooting was the one thing upon which he prided
himself, and stories of putting three out of five bullets in a cap
box (about two inches in diameter) with his old squirrel rifle, at
one hundred yards distance, off-hand, are familiar ones to his
grandsons and nephews. The children of William and Mary (Clark)
Wylie were Robert; Jane (Beall), wife of John Stricker Beall,
banker of Wellsburg, W. Va.; Mrs. Annie E. Thompson, living in
Washington, widow of Rev. Joseph R. Thompson, late of the Associate
Reformed Church; and James Clark, who died at the age of twenty

ROBERT WYLIE, the subject proper of this narrative, was born August
25, 1830, on the old Wylie farm in Canton township, Washington Co.,
Penn. He attended the district schools, and later took an irregular
course at Washington College. He was not a rugged boy, and could n
ot stand close confinement at school, so he early took to the roads
where he might breathe a more free air. At the age of thirteen
years his father intrusted to his care a drove of cattle and sheep
to be driven across the mountains and sold in Philadelphia, the
money to be brought back by him in saddle-bags on horseback. He
liked this business better than going to school or staying in the
store, so he continued at same for some years, at first driving to
Philadelphia and New York, later to Harrisburg. When the
Pennsylvania Railroad was being finished to Pittsburgh, he early
took advantage of this means of transport, being one of the first
shippers on the road passing over the nine inclines through the
Alleghany mountains. In 1861 he moved with his wife and family to
a farm in Cumberland township, Greene Co., Penn., where they
resided until 1865, when he purchased the Dr. Stevens farm in
Canton township (340 acres), situated two miles west of Washington
on the Taylorstown road, upon which he erected all the buildings
which now stand upon it. He now resides there, surrounded by his
children and grandchildren. With farming he combined the wool
commission business, in which connection he is probably best known,
his figure being a familiar one in his own and adjoining counties
in fact, to the people within a radius of fifty miles of his home
his is a well-known, welcome face. His two sons, William and James
B., became associated with him in business some four years since,
the firm name being Robert Wylie & Sons, and the amount of wool
bought and handled by them runs well toward a million pounds
annually, the bulk of it being bought by the senior member of the
firm, who gives to this branch of the business the greater part of
his time. He is now sixty-two years of age, but looks younger, and
is yet in the prime of life. In his rides through the country he
fears no kind of weather or roads, nor does the worst seem to
affect his iron constitution.

On February 3, 1857, he married Elizabeth, daughter of James and
Mary McCormick Beall, of Independence township. James Beall was a
farmer and storekeeper in Wellsburg, W. Va., for some years, and
before the time of railroads he rode to Philadelphia on horseback
to purchase dry goods. His wife’s father, who was also a merchant,
lost his life in one of his trips to New Orleans, whither he was
traveling to buy sugar, having, while en route overland on
horseback, been murdered in Kentucky, supposedly for the money on
his person, having a considerable amount at the time. The Bealls
were among the early settlers of Baltimore county, Md., and Mrs.
Wylie’s grandfather and grandmother Beall both came from Baltimore;
her grandfather was a soldier in the early war, and his wife was a
sister of Gen. Stricker, who so ably defended Baltimore against
the British in 1814. They came West about 178-, and purchased a
farm on the edge of West Virginia, near Independence, Washington
county, where they raised a large family, whose descendants are
now widely scattered both east aud west, though many of them are
in Washington county, W. Va., and eastern Ohio. A brief record of
the children of Robert and Elizabeth (Beall) Wylie is as follows:

WILLIAM WYLIE, born November 10, 1859, in Canton township, Washington
Co., Penn., up to the age of fourteen years attended the common schools
of his district, and then went to Washington and Jefferson College,
where he remained four years. Returning home he engaged in the wool
business with his father, and at the age of nineteen entered the Iron
City Business College at Pittsburgh, Penn., where he graduated. He
then embarked in the wool and farm implement business with his father,
which they carried on for three years, when his younger brother James
B. entered the business with them. They then abandoned the farm
implement branch of their business, and have since been engaged
exclusively in the wool business, which they have greatly enlarged,
having extended their operations over a half dozen of the adjoining
counties. They do business under the firm name of R. Wylie & Sons,
and they are among the heaviest wool dealers in western Pennsylvania,
enjoying the confidence of the people far and wide, to which their
proverbial fair dealing justly entitles them. On June 16, 1885,
William Wylie was married to Mary W., daughter of Joseph C. Gist, of
Brooke county, W. Va., and they have been blessed with two children:
Lizzie B. born October 6, 1887, and Clara V. born November 21, 1891.
After marriage Mr. Wylie settled on his farm in Canton township, two
miles west of Washington, Penn., where he still lives. He is a member
of the U. P. Church at Washington; and in politics is a Republican.

Mrs. William Wylie was born August 27, 1861, in Brooke county, W. Va.
Her father, J. C. Gist, was born March 16, 1820, in the same county.
He was a large farmer and was engaged in the breeding and sale of fine
sheep all his life. He was a Republican, and served one term in the
West Virginia Legislature; was in the Senate in 1861, at the time of
the war, one term. He was also talked of for governor of his State at
one time, but for some reason best known to himself he did not run,
although his friends assured him he would win. He died November 22,
1892. On August 10,1848, J. C. Gist married Elizabeth Culver, of
Jefferson, Penn., born February 12, 1826, at Jefferson, Greene Co.,
Penn., daughter of Thomas Culver, a farmer. Mrs. William Wylie has
three brothers and one sister living: Samuel C. Gist, J. W. Gist, and
J. C. Gist, Jr., all living in Brooke county, W. Va., aud Mrs. John C.
Roseborough, of Brownwood, Tex. Mrs. Wylie’s great uncle, Christerphor
Gist, was a member of Gen. George Washington’s staff in the
Revolutionary war.

James Beall Wylie, second son of Robert and Elizabeth (Beall) Wylie,
born September 24, 1862, married June 24, 1890, Helen Cornelia, daughter
of William D. and Elizabeth (Williamson) Roseborough, of Sardis, Miss.
William Roseborough was a cotton planter, as were his father and
grandfather before him; they were formerly of South Carolina. Her
grandfather lived in Chester, S. C., and was clerk of the courts
for fifty-two years; his wife, Eleanor (Key), was a daughter of
Martin and Nancy (Bibb) Key, of Albemarle county, Va.; her
great-grandparents came from Ireland to South Carolina about the
time of the Revolution, and their families were both of French
Huguenot ancestry, who left France about the middle of the seventeenth
century; her great- grandmother Roseborough’s maiden name was Gaston,
and she was a daughter of William Gaston, of Cloughwate, Ireland, who
was a grandson of the Duke of Orleans (the leader of the Huguenots,
banished from France in 1642, some history says 1652), brother of Louis
XIII and son of Henry IV, King of France and Navarre. J. B. and Helen
R. Wylie have one child, a daughter, named Marion Marguerite Wylie,
born May 14, 1891. Their home is in Canton township.

Laura Virginia, the only daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Beall) Wylie,
was born October 7, 1867, and was married October 1, 1890, to Joseph C.
Gist. Jr., son of Hon. J. C. Gist, of Brooke county, W. Va., where they
now reside. They have one child, a son, born June 11, 1892, named for his
grandfather, Robert Wylie.

Submitted by: Alan Wylie
Date: May 20, 2003
Others: GIST, Laura Virginia (WYLIE); WYLIE, Mary W. (GIST)
Others: WYLIE, William; WYLIE, James Beall

Absalom L. Carter

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 247-248
Brooke County

ABSALOM L. CARTER. Prominent among the representa-
tives of the agricultural industry of Brooke County is
Absalom L. Carter, a member of an old and honored family,
who now resides two miles from Follansbee, on the Elders-
ville Road. Mr. Carter has followed farming and stock
breeding all his life, at various times has been identified
with other lines of endeavor, and his career has been a
successful and gratifying one, both from the viewpoint of
material gain and from that of securing the good will and
esteem of those with whom he has been associated.

Mr. Carter was born on the old Carter homestead, the
present home of his brother, E. C. Carter, about two miles
east of his present home, November 8, 1857, a son of
Samuel and Michal (Wells) Carter. Michal Wells was
born June 1, 1816, and died in January, 1892. She was
a daughter of Absalom Wells, a son of Charles Wells, who
ia said to have had twenty children, the twentieth having
been named Twenty. Twenty Wells died at the age of
sixteen years and was buried at Sistersville, West Vir-
ginia. The life of Absalom Wells was spent mainly in
Brooke County. His wife was Helen Owings, of Ellicott’s
Mills, near Baltimore, Maryland, where she was born in
1771 and married in 1798. She was so delicate that her
physician said she could not live to reach the “Far West,”
but she not only did that but lived to rear a large family
and to attain the remarkable age of ninety-seven years.

Samuel Carter was born August 8, 1817, in Brooke
County, West Virginia. He died October 26, 1898, and
was buried in St. Johns Cemetery. He was a son of
Joseph Carter, who lived on Pot Rock Run, Brooke County,
a native of Winchester, Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. He
was a plasterer by vocation, reached old age, and was buried
at Franklin, Brooke County. His father, also named
Joseph, was buried at Cadich Chapel, while his mother was
laid to rest at West Liberty. The children of the younger
Joseph Carter were: Lewis, a farmer and plasterer and a
great worker in the Baptist Church, in which he was a
deacon, who lived on a nearby farm and reached the age
of seventy-five years; Joseph, who went to Kansas City,
Missouri, and there died; Samuel; John, who went to La-
Orange, Indiana, and there spent the remainder of his
life; and Hilary and Cephas, twins, the former of whom
went to Montezuma, Iowa, and there died, while the latter
lived on a farm near Fowlerstown, West Virginia.

The Carter family was founded in America prior to the
Revolutionary war by two English brothers of the name,
who settled in the Colony of Virginia, where the old Carter
house is still standing. Colonel Carter, an officer of Gen-
eral Washington’s army, was home on a furlough, so runs
the story, when an English officer, with a detachment of
men, learning of his presence, decided to capture him. In
the meantime word had been taken to General Washington
of his officer’s predicament, and he hurriedly sent a squad
of patriot soldiers. Colonel Carter, defending himself and
his home from the enemy, fought a duel with the British
officer on the stairway, on the bannisters of which can
still be found the hacking of the swords. It is related that
the timely arrival of the patriot troops turned the tables
and that the English officer and his men had to submit to
capture. After his marriage to Michal Wells, January
21, 1844, the most of Samuel Carter’s life was spent on
the old home farm, and he accumulated some 190 acres,
including the present farm of E. C. Carter. He belonged
at Cross Creek to the United Presbyterian Church, or
“tent,” the latter name being used because the early serv-
ices were held under a canvas cover. Mrs. Carter, like all
the members of her family, was a Primitive Baptist, and
attended the old Cross Creek Baptist Church at Hunter’s
Mill. They were the parents of four children to grow to
maturity: Pauline, who passed her life as a maiden with
her parents and died August 18, 1872; Mary, who also
remained unmarried and died at the home of her parents
December 4, 1879; Eli C., who is carrying on operations
on the old home farm; and Absalom L.

Absalom L. Carter passed his boyhood amid agricultural
surroundings on the old home place, obtaining his educa-
tion in the common schools. On October 4, 1884, he was
united in marriage with Miss Jane R. Walker, a sister of
James M. Walker, mentioned elsewhere in this work. Mrs.
Carter was born on the old Walker homestead, adjoining
the old Carter place, October 26, 1859, and resided on
that property until the time of her marriage. Mr. and Mrs.
Carter commenced housekeeping on their present property
December 23, 1884. This is the old Elson farm, patented
in 1785 by one Rich Elson, the grandfather of the last
Elson owner, Mitchell Elson, who sold the place to Samuel
Carter in 1877. Absalom L. Carter has since reduced the
property, which now contains sixty-five acres, a large part
of which was given over to the raising of sheep as long
as that industry was profitable. His coal he sold some
years ago, before the high prices had set in. Mr. Carter
has modern improvements on his property, and his com-
fortable home was erected in 1900.

Mr. and Mrs. Carter are members of the First United
Presbyterian Church at Steubenville, Ohio, located 4 1/2 miles
distant from their home. Mr. Carter is a democrat, and
the Carters .have always been a democratic family. He
has not sought office, but has served as a member of the
board of reviews since the organization of that body. He
served as vice president of the Brooke County Farm Bu-
reau, and was a charter member thereof, and has been a
director in the Pan Handle Mutual Insurance Company,
of which he is now vice president. He was a director
and vice president of the Pan Handle Agricultural Club
of Brooke and Ohio counties, one of the earliest clubs

Mrs. Carter’s mother was Hannah R. McConnell, daugh-
ter of Robert and Jane (Hawke) McConnell, natives of
Ireland who on their arrival in the United States settled
in Jefferson County, Ohio, just outside the City of Steu-
benville. They were charter members of the First United
Presbyterian Church at Steubenville. as were Mrs. Jane R.
Carter and Mrs. Hannah Walker. The last-named was one
of the first subscribers for the United Presbyterian paper
published at Pittsburgh and continued as such throughout
her life. On the occasion of her fiftieth anniversary her
picture wag published in this publication. Mr. and Mrs.
Carter have no children.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook
Date: September 19, 1999

George Talbott Buchanan

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III
pg. 28

GEORGE TALBOTT BUCHANAN is postmaster of Wellsburg,
having been assistant postmaster under his father, the late
Talbott H. Buchanan. Four generations of the Buchanan
family have been represented in the Northern Panhandle
of West Virginia.

They are Scotch Highlanders, Robert Buchanan coming
here and locating on a farm in Brooke County when his son
Robert, grandfather of the Wellsburg postmaster, was a lad.
They acquired land in Independence Township, and Robert
lived there until his death at the age of seventy. His son
Thomas lived out his life on the same farm. Talbott H.
Buchanan was born on the old homestead in 1864, and it
was his home until he sold the place in the early ’80s and
moved to Wellsburg. Here he was in the wholesale grocery
business under the firm name of Brown and Buchanan until
the death of Mr. Brown about 1895. Soon afterwards
Talbott H. Buchanan became deputy sheriff. He was
deputy at the time of the noted trial of Van Baker. Baker
was the first man ever sentenced to life imprisonment from
Brooke County. Later Talbott H. Buchanan engaged in
the insurance business, and soon after the election of President
Wilson was appointed postmaster of Wellsburg and filled
that office until his death on Easter Sunday, 1917. The
site of the present Post Office was secured during his admin-
istration. He was a vestryman and warden of Christs
Episcopal Church, and his widow is very active in church
affairs. He married Julia Burley of Moundsville, also of
an old Scotch family prominently connected with other
West Virginia families. She is living in her fiftieth year.

George Talbott Buchanan, only child of his parents, was
born at Wellsburg May 28, 1890. He acquired a public
school education, and was about twenty-three years of age
when he became assistant postmaster under his father. His
father was succeeded by Henry Zilliken, who died on Christ-
mas Day, 1917, and in May, 1918, George T. Buchanan was
appointed his successor, receiving his commission under
Wilson’s second administration. The Wellsburg Post Office
building was completed ready for occupancy in December,
1916, costing about $80,000.00. The appropriation for the
Federal Building at Wellsburg was secured while the late
W. P. Hubbard was in Congress. The Post Office has
fifteen employes, with four rural carriers. Mr. Buchanan
is also official custodian of the building. Soon after his
appointment as postmaster he was called to the colors, on
August 3, 1918, and was in service at Camp Lee and Fort
Moultrie, South Carolina. He had an active part in all the
loan drives, though the Victory Loan was made while he
was in the army. His office well upheld its share of respon-
sibility in the sale of stamps.

July 23, 1919, Mr. Buchanan married Jane Simpson.
She was born at Pittsburgh, but as a child was taken to Ham-
ilton, Canada, where her father, George A. Simpson, for a
number of years has been sales manager for the Canadian
Steel Company. Mrs. Buchanan is an active member of
church and social clubs at Wellsburg. Mr. Buchanan is a
past master of Wellsburg Lodge No. 2, F. and A. M., is
affiliated with West Virginia Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish
Rite, Osiris Temple of the Mystic Shrine and a member of
the local team of nine members doing the work of two of
the degrees of the Scottish Rite. He is a vestryman and
treasurer of Christ Episcopal Church.

Submitted by Valerie Crook

George Edgington

Copyright 1999 Julia A. (Heaton) Krutilla
submitted this file for use in the WVGenWeb project.
It may be freely copied, but may not be sold.

GEORGE EDGINGTON, SR. and family of Brooke Co., VA/WV

Much of the early documents on this family have conflicting information
but all are included so you can
weigh the evidence and quality of the source.

George EDGINGTON, Sr. was supposedly born in London c1706/07, some
sources say Wales, and ran
away from home due to a whipping. He was discovered as a stowaway when
far out to sea, came to
American at the age of 15, and settled near Philadelphia, PA. There he
married Margaret BROOME on 30 Jul
1743 at the 1st Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. George EGERTON is
the name found on this church

Some secondary evidence connects his wife, Margaret BROOME with parents
Thomas BROOME and
Elizabeth COLEY who married 27 July 1712 at Christ Church, Philadelphia,

The following is abstracted material from the Draper Manuscripts.

“George EDGINGTON, who came from London to America, settled first near
Philadelphia and there
married, then to Hampshire Co., VA, below the mouth of South Branch,
thirty miles from Winchester.
Edward’s Fort, six miles from EDGINGTON was where the people forted.
EDGINGTON went to a tub mill
belonging to another Edwards, and there were about a dozen Dutch boys
and girls also there at the mill and
all had to stay overnight. The next morning, all were taken by the
Indians; they tomahawked the children
except two boys and EDGINGTON in the mill, and set it on fire, and
started for Fort DuQuesne (Pittsburgh,

After going three miles, they killed the two remaining Dutch boys. In
crossing a stream, an Indian walked
over a log, leading EDGINGTON, who waded and when in the middle of the
stream pulled in the Indian,
who when reaching the shore, aimed a tomahawk blow, which EDGINGTON
partly dodging, split his nose
and upper lip; the other Indian interfered and saved a repetition of the
blow; tied up the wound – took him
first to Fort DuQuesne, then up to Scioto, and kept him three years.

Two days after EDGINGTON was taken, his wife barely escaped being with a
couple of families of eight
persons, under protection of two soldiers, going to Edward’s Fort; all
were waylaid and killed. While he
was absent, his wife, two years after, not doubting he was killed at the
mill, married again; but when he
returned, he kindly gave her the choice of husbands, and she chose her

The Compendium of American Genealogy Vol., 1, pg. 77 states “that George
EDGINGTON served in the
French and Indian War and lived below the south fork of the Potomac
River in Hampshire County, VA.”

His land transactions in Hampshire Co., VA/WV include a purchase of 200
acres on 10 August 1772 on the
North River of Cacapon, and he sold it 2 October 1774 before moving to
Holliday’s Cove, Ohio Co., VA (now
Weirton, Brooke Co., WV).

The following is an abstract from “Pioneer Days, Early History of
Jefferson County, OH”, M. D. Sinclair, pg.
155 regarding the EDGINGTON Family:

“History of Pioneer EDGINGTON Family Reads Like Fiction – Among the many
strange happenings which
befell the settlers of pioneer days, adventures of the EDGINGTON family
are among the most unusual.

George and Margaret (BROOME) EDGINGTON came to this country from England
at a very early date and
settled in Hampshire Co., VA on a grant of land given them by Lord
Fairfax. Later they decided to remove
from that location and went to what we now call Hollidays Cove (Weirton,

They are said to have had six sons in the War of the Revolution. One of
these was Thomas, born in 1744,
died 1814, buried in Union Cemetery together with his wife, Martha, a
son, Thomas, a daughter, Drusilla,
and a son, Jesse, who was born 1779, died 1866. Also Mrs. Mary VIERS
EDGINGTON born 1783, died 1852.
The family lived in the red brick house which is still standing not far
from the approach to the Fort Steuben
bridge on the West Virginia side of the Ohio River . . . . . . The
pioneers, George and Martha (Margaret is who
they meant) EDGINGTON, were buried in a private burying ground not far
from the house where they lived
in West Virginia (then VA) and recently a descendant, who is a prominent
resident of Wheeling, WV, has
been making an effort to locate the graves and will have the remains
disinterred and placed in the
EDGINGTON lot in Union Cemetery. In addition to the members already
referred to there will also be found
in Island Creek Cemetery, Ashiel EDGINGTON, 1760-1826 and Cassandra
(VEIRS) , 1773-1828; Jesse
EDGINGTON never married but was prominent among the early settlers in
this district. Mrs. Martha
EDGINGTON McCAUSLEN is descended on her mother’s side from these old

During the Indian depredations in the early 1780’s, the EDGINGTON along
with most of the valley pioneer
families safely moved into Washington Co., PA. The 1783 Nottingham Twp.,
Washington Co., PA Tax lists
include George Sr., his sons Jesse, John, Isaac, George Jr., and an
unknown Norrid EDGINGTON. (With
Thomas presumed dead, perhaps this Norris [an early surname in
Washington Co., PA] is the widow
Martha “Patty” with her maiden name, inheriting her husband’s property
or perhaps the new husband. He
could also be an unknown son of George Sr.) George and Margaret’s sons
Thomas and Joseph are clearly
missing from these tax records. Thomas was most likely an indian captive
in the Indian towns as he is
missing from 3 years of tax records and perhaps Joseph was active
service with the militia as he later
appears as a squatter across the Ohio River at Hart’s Rock on 30
November 1785. And in the 1787 Ohio Co.,
VA tax records all of the EDGINGTONs return to their property in the
1787 Ohio Co., VA (WV) Tax records.

In 1788, George Sr. believing his days on this earth were soon coming to
an end, gave his son, George Jr.
power of attorney. This document can be found in the Ohio Co., WV(VA)
Deed Book 1, pg. 209.

Unfortunately, no records have been found on Margaret BROOME EDGINGTON
date of death or even
much about her life.

George EDGINGTON, SR. died in 1791 age 84 at his son, Thomas’s farm in
Ohio Co., VA according to
Leyman Draper Manuscripts. And Mr. Draper mentions seeing the grave,
crude stone and inscription as
date and age were given on this same field stone.


Thomas EDGINGTON b. 1744 Hampshire Co., VA, d. 2 January 1814 Brooke
Co., VA(WV). Served in
Brady’s Rangers, a spy for the Frontier Rangers, Indian captive in 1781,
taken to Detroit and sold to the
British. Ref: Pa Arch 6th Series, Vol. II, pg. 153; Draper Mss. 2 S 292,
293. He was reburied at the Union
Cemetery, Steubenville, OH. Married Martha “Patty” _______. Children:
Asahel, George, Mary, John, Sarah,
Jesse, Rachel, Drucilla, and Thomas.

George EDGINGTON, JR. b. c1746 Hampshire Co., VA, d. 1816, said to be
buried in EDGINGTON Cemetery.
Moved to Manchester, Adams Co., OH in 1791 shortly after the town was
founded by Massie. About 1795
he left the stockade and settled in Sprigg Township near Zane’s Trace.
Pioneer to the Northwest Territory.
Ref: PA Archives Series Vol. 2, pg. 41, 83; Evans’s & Stivers History of
Adams Co., OH. George died in 1816.
He left his wife Mary (who was born about 1750, and was possibly a
Naylor) and a large family (order of
birth unknown). Children: John, George, Elizabeth “Tacy”, Sarah,
William, Mary, Absalom, Drucilla, and

Joseph EDGINGTON, b. c 1749, Hampshire Co., VA, d. April 1832, probably
buried in the Aerl (Wilson)
Cemetery. While living in Holiday’s Cove, Ohio Co., WV (now Brooke Co.,
WV) area with his brothers, Isaac
and Jesse, enlisted in Capt. James Munn’s Co. of Pennsylvania militia,
and participated in Col. William
Crawford’s disastrous Sandusky expedition. His nephew Jacob EDGINGTON
states that on one occasion
he shot a squaw he saw coming up a branch; she was “very richly dressed,
wearing many silver brooches”.
Shortly afterwards he had his arm broken by a musket ball, recovered.
About 1795 he went with his family
to Massie’s, and is reported to have been one of the first to settle
outside the stockade. He remained in Sprigg
Twp. until about 1817, when he bought land in what is now Eagle Twp.,
Brown Co., OH where he resided
until his death in April 1832. Joseph was married twice; first to
Eleanor, whose maiden name is unknown;
and second on August 8, 1814, to Hannah (McLAUGHLIN) GUTRIDGE, widow of
survived him, dying August 2, 1845, aged 74 years, 4 months, 17 days and
is buried in the Aerl Cemetery.
Joseph EDGINGTON was the father of a large family – all by his 1st wife
Eleanor. He did not leave a will as
he disposed of his real estate prior to his death and no paper trail has
been found giving all the names of his
children. Known children: Ashahel, Margaret, Eleanor, George, Joseph
Jr., Isaac, Joshua, Jemina, Henry,
Honor, and Asa.

Isaac EDGINGTON, b. c1752 in Hampshire Co., VA, d. abt. 1836, buried
Bentonville, Adams Co., OH. Pvt.
on Sandusky Exp. under Col. William Crawford in Capt. James Munn’s Co.,
Washington Co., PA Militia.
Ref: PA Archives 6th Series, Vol. 2 pg. 51, 72, 84, 396; Evan’s &
Stivers History of Adams Co.; Draper
Manuscripts 19 S 162, 163. He was married c1777 to Elizabeth, maiden
name unknown. He moved from
Hampshire Co., VA to the then western frontier area near Ft. Henry,
Wheeling, VA(WV), where he and his
brothers Joseph and Jesse, enlisted in Capt. James Munn’s Co. of PA
militia and served in Crawford’s
expedition in the summer of 1782. He was for many years a scout in the
Wheeling area, and was granted a
tract of land in Strabane Twp., Washington Co., PA, patent dated 17
March 1787. He later sold this tract to
his brother Jesse, which was recorded May 18, 1796. His son Jacob
EDGINGTON says in his 1863 statement
to Mr. Draper, that his father removed to Adams Co., in 1794. Isaac
settled outside the stockade at
Manchester in Sprigg Twp. along Isaac’s Creek, which bears his name
about the age of 84 years. He
supposedly left a will, which was distroyed in the Court House fire of
February 1910. He and his wife,
Elizabeth are believed to be buried near Bentonville. No complete list
of their children has been found, but
the following are constructed from records available: Ruah Ann (Ruanna,
Ruey Ann), Abraham, Isaac Jr.,
Jacob, Rachel, Brice Viers, Azariah, and John.

John EDGINGTON b. c1754 Hampshire Co., VA, d. 1813 Stark Co., OH. Moved
from Brooke Co., VA to Stark
Co., OH in 1811. Buried 1 mile west of Canal Fulton. Pvt. In Capt. James
Munn’s Co., 2nd Batt. Washington
Co., PA Militia, ordered to rendezvous 18th of March 1782. Ref: PA
Archives 6th Series, Vol. II, pg. 36, 60, 83.
Married Nancy Bruce. Children: Aaron, John, Sarah, Mary, Rebecca, Noah,
Nancy, Margaret, and Isaac.

Jesse EDGINGTON b. 1759 Hampshire Co., VA, d. July 6, 1821 Springfield
Twp., Richland Co., OH, on farm
7 miles west of Mansfield, buried near Ontario, Richland Co., OH.
Removed from Jefferson Co., OH near
Steubenville to Richland Co., OH in 1815. Pvt. In Washington Co., PA
Militia Capt. James Munn’s Co., 1782;
Williamson expedition, the disastrous foray of the Sandusky Exp. under
Col. Wm. Crawford. Married
October 5, 1779, Margaret Palmer (Parmer, Paramour, or Parramore).
Children: Thomas, John, Levi, Isaac,
Jesse, and William.

Recommended reading and reference on this family:

1. Further Materials on Lewis Wetzel & the Upper Ohio Frontier, …
Historical Narrative of George
Edgington (from the Draper Manuscripts), Jared C. Lobdell – The
Edgington Family, pg. 1.
2. Pioneer Days, Early History of Jefferson County, OH, M. D. Sinclair,
pg. 155
3. History of Adams Co., OH Vol. I, 1982, C. N. Thompson, 169-191
4. That Dark & Bloody River, Allan W. Eckert
5. Ohio DAR Revolutionary Rosters Vol. I & II 1929-1938
6. The Draper Manuscripts – Microfilm rented from American Genealogical
Lending Library
7. PA Colonial Archives 6th Series – Microfilm rented from American
Genealogical Lending Library

Submitted by: Julia A. Krutilla
Date: December 13, 1999