Category Archives: Braxton

Fred L. Fox

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: FOX, Hon. Fred L.
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 24, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 270-271
Braxton County

HON. FRED L. FOX. For many years Hon. Fred L. Fox
has been one of the foremost citizens of Sutton, foremost
in legal circles, in financial affairs, in politics, in public
enterprises, in beneficences, and in the place he has won in
the confidence of his fellow-citizens. Such varied achieve-
ment is a proud distinction, the fruition of a symmetrical
manhood. It is possible only to the favored few upon whom
have been bestowed the fundamental elements of energy,
constructive ability and business intuition. All these essen-
tial qualities Mr. Fox possesses, united with an unbending
integrity of character that commands the trust and con-
fidence of the public and have made him a power in the
development of the community.

Mr. Fox was born on a farm near the mouth of the Big
Birch River, October 24, 1876, a son of Camden and Caro-
line (McMorrow) Fox, and a grandson of Samuel Fox.
Samuel Fox was born in Nelson County, Virginia, and be-
came one of the leading citizens of Braxton County. At
various times in his active and successful career he followed
the vocations of agriculture, milling, lumbering and mer-
chandising, and at the time of his death was a member of
the County Court. He was a leading member of the demo-
cratic party. Samuel Fox married a Miss Boggs, who was
born in Braxton County.

Camden Fox was born in Braxton County, December 14,
1854, and was reared to agricultural pursuits while gaining
his educational training in the public schools. On attaining
manhood he adopted farming as his life work, and continued
to be engaged therein until his retirement in 1919, at which
time he moved to his present home at Sutton, where he and
his worthy wife are held in the highest esteem. He is a
member of the Masonic fraternity, and his political affilia-
tion is with the democratic party. He and his wife are
faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Seven
children have been born to them: Fred L., of this review;
Jennie, the wife of O. W. Hall; Augusta H., the wife of
Daniel Curry, of Bridgeport, Harrison County, this state;
Earl F., an attorney temporarily of Shreveport, Louisiana;
Anna, the wife of H. O. Fast, of Charleston, West Virginia;
John B., deputy county clerk of Braxton County; and
Herman V., a medical student at the University of West
Virginia.

Fred L. Fox was reared on the home farm and acquired
his early education in the common schools. Later he pur-
sued a course in the University of West Virginia, from
which he was graduated with the class of 1899, receiving
the degree of Bachelor of Laws, and, being admitted to
the bar during the same year, came at once to Sutton,
where he has since been engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession with constantly increasing success. He is now a
member of the law firm of Haymond & Fox, in existence
since 1904, conceded to be one of the strongest combina-
tions in Central West Virginia, practicing in the State and
Federal Courts.

Mr. Fox has long been prominent and active in local and
state politics, and has been chairman of the County Execu-
tive Committee of the democratic party for the past ten
years. In 1912 he was elected a member of the State Sen-
ate and was retained therein by re-election in 1916, hav-
ing served in all eight years as a member of that body.
During six years of this time he was democratic leader
of the Senate. Senator Fox was one of the organizers of
the Bank of Sutton, of which he has been president since
its organization in 1918. His fellow officials in the bank
are: W. C. Marple, vice president; Hugh Swisher, cash-
ier; and Benton B. Boggs, S. H. Cutlip, A. W. Engel, J.
H. Hutchinson, I. Lawrence Freeman, C. W. Marble, H.
A. Long and W. A. Tucker, directors. Mr. Fox is also a
director of the institution, a strong and solid banking
house capitalized at $35,000. He has large real estate
interests, embracing oil and coal lands, as well as much
city property, including one of the finest residences in
the county and the large block in which his business
offices are situated. As a fraternalist he belongs to the
local Lodge and Chapter of the Masonic Order, and is a
past high priest and past eminent commander. With his
family he belongs to the Presbyterian Church.

On June 22, 1900, Mr. Fox was united in marriage with
Miss Anna Lee Frume, a graduate of the public school
of Sutton, and to this union there have been born six
children: Gordon B., John H., George M., Agnes, Re-
becca and Anna Jean.

Van B. Hall

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 319-320
Braxton

VAN B. HALL. The profession of the law offers unex-
ampled opportunities for advancement, not only along pro-
fessional lines, but in politics as well, and it is a notable
fact that many of the distinguished men of this country
today, as they were in the past, are recruited from the ranks
of this learned calling. One of the leading men of Brax-
ton County, who has won laurels both as an attorney and in
the office of prosecuting attorney, is Van B. Hall, engaged
in practicing at the Sutton bar.

Van B. Hall was born in Meigs County, Ohio, March 30,
1870, a son of R. M. and Sarah A. (Duvaull) Hall, the
former born in Marion County in 1828 and the latter born
in Harrison County in 1830. R. M. Hall was a minister of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. They moved to Braxton
County when their son Van B. Hall was six years old. Mr.
Hall was a Mason and a most exemplary man in every re-
spect. The democratic ticket received his hearty support.
Four of his eight children survive, namely: Homer C., who
is a railroad engineer residing at San Francisco, California;
Burke P., who is an attorney of Sutton; S. L., who is a
resident of Frametown, West Virginia, and Van B., whose
name heads this review.

>From childhood, determined upon a professional career,
Van B. Hall worked steadily with that end in view, and
after attending the public schools of Braxton County, where
he was reared, he took a course at the Glenville State Nor-
mal School, and then engaged in teaching in the free schools
of Braxton County. While thus engaged he read law, and
was admitted to practice in the courts of West Virginia
in 1896. A few years thereafter he formed a partnership
with his brother, Burke P. Hall, in the practice of law, under
the firm name of Hall Brothers, at Sutton. In November,
1920, he was elected prosecuting attorney of Braxton County,
being the only candidate on the democratic county ticket,
having opposition to win in that election. His success came
to him because of his personal popularity, and the realiza-
tion of the people of his special fitness for this important
office.

On September 24, 1901, Mr. Hall married Sarah Anne
Boggs, who was educated in the public schools. Mr. and
Mrs. Hall became the parents of four sons, namely: Byron
W., who graduated from the Sutton High School, and is
now attending the West Virginia State University; Robert
M., attending the Sutton High School; Boggs C. and Harold
Lee, both of whom are attending the grade schools. Mr.
Hall belongs to the Baptist Church, and is an active worker
in the Sunday School, which he is now serving as superin-
tendent, and is president of the Braxton County Sunday
School Association and one of the trustees of Broaddus
College at Philippi, West Virginia. A Mason, he belongs to
Sutton Lodge No. 21, A. F. and A. M., of which he is a past
master; Sutton Chapter No. 29, R. A. M., of which he is a
past high priest; and Sutton Commandery, 16, K. T., of
which he is generalissimo. He is a member of Sutton Lodge
No. 73, K. of P., of which he is past chancellor, and he also
belongs to the Beni-Kedem Temple at Charleston, A. A. O.
N. M. S. Some years ago he served as moderator of the
Elk Valley Baptist Association, and is one of the leading
Baptists in this part of the state. It is needless to say that
he has faithfully and capably discharged every responsibility
reposed in him, and that he holds in high degree the confi-
dence and full respect of his fellow citizens.

Henry B. Marshall

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 315

HENRY B. MARSHALL. In annotating the qualities which
have brought Henry B. Marshall to a position of importance
among the bankers of Braxton County, those of persistence
and singleness of purpose should not be overlooked. While
he possesses other qualities which add to his equipment for
successful participation in financial affairs, almost from the
start of his career he has devoted himself whole-heartedly
to one line of effort and has persevered in one avenue of
activity. The result is that he is a thorough master of every
detail of his special line of work, and as cashier of the
Burnsville Exchange Bank occupies a place high in the
esteem of his associates and firm in the confidence of the
people of the community.

Mr. Marshall was born in Ritchie County, West Virginia,
January 4, 1876, and is a son of Benjamin P. and Virginia
(Jackson) Marshall. Benjamin P. Marshall was born in
Albemarle County, Virginia, and as a youth was brought by
his parents to Ritchie County, West Virginia, where he re-
ceived a common school education, grew to manhood and
married Virginia Jackson, a native of Ritchie County, and
also a product of the public schools. Following their mar-
riage they settled on a farm near the Village of Petroleum,
in that county, and there spent the remainder of their well-
governed lives. They became prosperous in a material way
and in the respect in which they were held by their neigh-
bors, and were active and faithful members of the Meth-
odist Protestant Church. Mr. Marshall was a republican
in his political views, and served one term as a member of
the County Court. At the outbreak of the war between the
states he enlisted in the Eleventh Regiment, West Virginia
Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for five years, or
until the close of the war. He and his worthy wife were the
parents of twelve children, of whom five died in infancy,
the others being: One who died after reaching maturity;
Fannie, the wife of R. M. Foutty, living in Wood County,
West Virginia; Jennie, the wife of A. M. Douglass, of Cairo,
this state; Viola, whose home is at Akron, Ohio; R. C., a
hardware merchant at Cairo; C. A., who is carrying on
operations on the old home farm in Ritchie County; and
Henry B., of this review.

Henry B. Marshall was reared on the home farm in
Ritchie County, where he obtained his primary education in
the rural schools, and in the summer months assisted his
father and brothers in the cultivation of the home fields.
Subsequently he took a business course in a commercial
college situated at Cairo, then returned to the farm, whence
he removed to Cairo to accept a position as bookkeeper with
the Bank of Cairo. During the time that he was identified
with that institution he rose to the post of assistant cashier,
and it was in a like capacity that he first joined the Burns-
ville Exchange Bank in 1903. In 1907 Mr. Marshall became
cashier of this institution, a position which he has since
retained. His fellow officials are: Hon. John I. Bender,
president; W. C. Hefner, vice president; and Frank Amos,
assistant cashier, the board of directors consisting of the
following: John I. Bender, G. D. Marple, C. A. Wade, H.
B. Marshall, E. A. Stockert, W. C. Hefner, P. G. Hoover,
Frank Amos, John M. Marple, R. D. Dennison and W. G.
Wilson. This is one of Braxton County’s sound and reliable
institutions, and Mr. Marshall has contributed to its success
in no small degree.

In 1902 Mr. Marshall was united in marriage with Miss
Matilda Gilbertson, who was born at Blair, Nebraska, where
she was educated in the public schools, and who first met
her future husband while on a visit to relatives at Cairo,
West Virginia. Three children have come to this union:
Helen B., born September 23, 1903, a graduate of the
Burnsville High School; Virginia May, born August 9,
1915; and a son that died in infancy in 1907. Mr. and Mrs.
Marshall are members of the Methodist Protestant Church,
Mr. Marshall being a member of the official board and a
contributor to all religious movements. As a fraternalist
he holds membership in Burnsville Lodge No. 87, A. F. and
A. M., is a past noble grand of Burnsville Lodge No. 252,
I. O. O. F., and belongs to the Grand Lodge of that order.
In politics he is a republican.

William Claude Hefner

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 315-316

WILLIAM CLAUDE HEFNER. Braxton County has always
held its own among its sister counties of West Virginia
for high rank in her banking system, and in this field of
activity the business is represented at Burnsville by many
men of high standing and of more than local prominence.
Among the men, alert and enterprising, who during recent
years have utilized the opportunities offered for business
preferment and attained thereby success, one whose career is
typical of modern advancement is William Claude Hefner,
vice president of the Burnsville Exchange Bank. Mr.
Hefner ‘s career has in the main been devoted to the pursuits
of agriculture, but his business judgment and foresight are
greatly appreciated by his associates in the banking field.

Mr. Hefner was born on the farm which he now owns at
Burnsville, May 28, 1864, and is a son of William S. and
Rachel McNiel (Wallace) Hefner. His father was born in
Greenbrier County, West Virginia, November 20, 1817, and
his mother, in Pocahontas County, this state, August 12,
1820. William S. Hefner was reared on a farm in Green-
brier County and received only a limited education, the most
of which was self gained. As a youth he left home and
went to Pocahontas County, where he learned the black-
smith trade and for four years conducted a shop. He made
a success of this venture, was married in Pocahontas County,
and then came to Braxton County and purchased the nucleus
for a farm, a part of which is now included in the property
of his son William C. From a small beginning William S.
Hefner became the owner of a tract of 560 acres of splendid
farming land, and at one time was the largest taxpayer in
the northern end of Braxton County. He was one of the
pillars of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the move-
ments of which he supported with a willing hand and an
open purse,’ and throughout his life he was at all times
ready to go to the assistance of the poor or the bedsides
of the sick. Fraternally he was affiliated with Sutton
Lodge No. 21, A. F. and A. M., and at the time of his death
was the first member of Weston Lodge. His political belief
made him a democrat. The fact that his own education had
been neglected always made him a stanch friend of the
public schools, and for a number of years he served as a
member of the local Board of Education. He and his
worthy wife were the parents of eleven children, of whom
seven survive in 1922: B. L., who is engaged in blacksmith-
ing at Bnrnsville, where his father conducted a shop for
many years in connection with his farming operations;
Samuel, who is a resident of Missouri; M. W., of Burns-
ville; William Claude, of this record; Edna, the wife of
A. J. Knight; J. B., of Clarksburg, West Virginia; and
Rachel, the widow of Hugh Amos.

William C. Hefner was reared on the home farm, on a
part of which he still makes his home, and acquired his
education through attendance at the rural schools. His
schooling completed, he began fanning in association with
his father, and remained in this connection until he was
twenty-three years of age, when he decided he would like to
have a view of the western country. Accordingly, the next
year was passed in the West, after which he returned to
the home place and spent one year in agricultural pursuits.
Following this he ventured into mercantile pursuits at
Burnsville, and during the next years was a successful mer-
chant, but the call of the country proved too strong, and at
the end of that time he disposed of his holdings and re-
turned to the farm. Since that time he has been engaged in
agricultural operations with much success, and at the pres-
ent time has 195 acres of valuable land, all in a high state
of cultivation and with the latest modern buildings and sub-
stantial improvements. Mr. Hefner is also interested in the
oil and gas business in this region, where he has some
valuable holdings, represented by producing and paying
properties. He is a vice president and a member of the
board of directors of the Burnsville Exchange Bank, in
which he is likewise a heavy stockholder, and through his
wise counsel and business acumen has contributed materially
to its success.

On January 24, 1899, Mr. Hefner was united in marriage
with Miss Mary Hamilton, who was born and reared in
Highland County, Virginia, where she was educated in the
public schools, and was still a young woman when brought
to West Virginia by her parents. Of their children nine are
still living in 1922, as follows: Elizabeth, a graduate of the
Burnsville High School, who took a short normal course at
Sutton and is now a primary teacher in the Burnsville public
schools; Wallace Hamilton, attending Marshall College at
Huntington; Leah, a graduate of the Burnsville High
School; Mary, who is attending high school; and Lorena,
Charlotte, Marjorie, Rachel and Lillian. The family be-
longs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, Mr. Hefner being
a member of the official board, on which he succeeded his
father. As a fraternalist he holds membership in Burnsville
Lodge No. 87, A. F. and A. M.; and Burnsville Lodge No.
92, K. P., in which he is a past chancellor and a member of
the Grand Lodge. In politics he is a democrat. Like his
father, he has taken a genuine and helpful interest in school
matters, having been a member of the Board of education
for the past seventeen years, and was the original promoter
of the movement which resulted in the building of the high
school at Burnsville.

Lawrence Arthur Jarrett

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 8, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 289-290
Braxton

LAWRENCE ARTHUR JARRETT, M. D. The medical frater-
nity of Braxton County contains in its membership men who
by reason of their knowledge and attainments form a repre-
sentative body of careful, learned and skillful physicians
and surgeons, and among them one who has won deserved
standing and patronage is Dr. Lawrence Arthur Jarrett.
Engaged in practice at Gassaway since 1913, he has won
his way into the confidence of a large practice and at the
same time has merited the appreciation of his fellow-
practitioners.

Doctor Jarrett was born at Jarrett’s Ford (now Elk
View), Kanawha County, West Virginia, February 1, 1880,
and is a son of John T. and Cynthia E. (Copenhaver)
Jarrett. His father was born in the same county and state,
October 12, 1848, while Mrs. Jarrett was born in November,
1853, at Copenhaver Mills, Kanawha County, and both are
now residents of Charleston, West Virginia. John T.
Jarrett was educated in the public schools, while his wife
had a similar education, and following their marriage they
settled down to farming in Kanawha County, where they
resided until about 1898. At that time they disposed of
their agricultural holdings and moved to Charleston, where
Mr. Jarrett engaged in the lumber business. In this, as
in his farming ventures he proved successful, and at present
he and his wife are living in comfortable retirement. Mrs.
Jarrett is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in
the work of which she is active. He belongs to the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows and the Improved Order of
Red Men, and as a democrat wields some influence in his
community, where he formerly served one term in the ca-
pacity of deputy sheriff. He and his worthy wife became
the parents of five children: Elvin L., a graduate of the
Charleston High School, who is now an engineer in the
service of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company; Dr.
Lawrence Arthur, of this review; Erna M., the wife of
John M. Nichols; Forrest L., a graduate of the common
schools, who is a conductor in the service of the Baltimore
& Ohio Railroad Company; and Clara M., the wife of C. O.
Reveal.

Lawrence Arthur Jarrett was reared on his father’s farm
and attended the country schools as well as the Charleston
High School. Later he pursued a course at the Capital
City Commercial College, which prepared him for a business
career, and for three years he was employed as a book-
keeper. From youth, however, he had possessed a predilec-
tion for the medical profession, and finally, finding that a
business life was not congenial, he entered the Kentucky
University at Lexington, subsequently pursuing a course in
the medical department of the University of Louisville.
Thus prepared, he entered upon the practice of his profes-
sion at Swiss, where he remained for three years, and in
1913 came to Gassaway, where he opened an office and where
he has remained ever since, in the enjoyment of a con-
stantly increasing practice. Doctor Jarrett has built up a
reputation as a skilled and sympathetic physician, a close
and careful student and a talented and steady-handed sur-
geon, one who gains and holds the confidence of his patients
and the esteem and respect of his fellow-practitioners. He
is a member of the Kanawha Medical Society, the West
Virginia Medical Society and the American Medical Asso-
ciation. He has been successful in a material way, and is a
director in the Farmers and Mechanics Bank of Gassaway
and a number of other business enterprises. In politics he
votes the democratic ticket. Fraternally he is affiliated with
Clay County Lodge No. 97, A. F. and A. M.; Tyran Chapter
No. 13, R. A. M.; Kanawha Commandery No. 4, K. T.; and
Beni-Kedem Shrine at Charleston.

In 1907 Doctor Jarrett was united in marriage with Miss
Mary Elizabeth Tallman, an active member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. They are the parents of two children:
John T., born March 13, 1910; and Virginia E., born June
3, 1912.

Wellington F. Morrison

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 8, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 300
Braxton

WELLINGTON F. MORRISON. A man of large affairs, dis-
playing at all times an aptitude for successful management,
combined with keen sagacity in investment and marked
ability in control of important interests, Wellington F.
Morrison has long been known as one of Braxton County’s
most prominent business men, whose labors have been of
great value in building up the interests of the community
in which his home has been made for so many years.

Mr. Morrison was born in Braxton County, Virginia, June
30, 1845, a son of James W. and Nancy Logan (Grimes)
Morrison. His father was born in Greenbrier County, Vir-
ginia, January 10, 1806, and after receiving a public school
education moved to Pocahontas County, where he met and
married Nancy Logan Grimes, who had been born in the
latter county October 24, 1813. At about the time of their
marriage, in 1830, they came to what is now Braxton
County, West Virginia, and settled on a farm. In addition
to carrying on extensive agricultural operations Mr. Mor-
rison was a justice of the peace, a member of the old
County Court and served as sheriff of the county for four
years, being one of the prominent and influential men or
his community. Likewise he was a pillar of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, which he attended regularly, lived his
faith every day, was a class leader, and made his home the
home of the visiting preachers. First a whig, he later
changed his allegiance to the republican party. Mr. Mor-
risos was the father of fourteen children, of whom twelve
grew to maturity and six are living at this time: Mary H.,
the widow of Franklin Beemer; Maria V., the wife of John
D. Sutton; Leah T., the widow of Mortimer Rose; Nancy
R., the wife of John F. Beemer; John G., of Wichita,
Kansas; and Wellington F., of this record.

Wellington F. Morrison was reared on the home farm six
miles east of Sutton, and acquired his early educational
training in the old-time subscription schools. He was not
yet sixteen years of age when the Civil war broke out, and
when less than seventeen years old enlisted in the Union
army, April 23, 1862. During the first year of his service
lie was engaged in the guarding of army supply wagons
through West Virginia, but in January, 1863, his regiment
went to the Tygart Valley, where he received his baptism
of fire in the engagement at Droop Mountains. In July at
the same year he was again under fire, at Beverly, and in
May, 1864, saw plenty of action, when he entered the Valley
of Virginia, his subsequent engagements including Leetown
and Currance, July, 1864; Harper’s Ferry, Snicker’s Gap
and Winchester, September 19, 1864; Fisher’s Hill, Septem-
ber 22d; Cedar Creek, two engagements, in October and in
December, 1864, on to Richmond. Mr. Morrison was in the
Eighth Army Corps, commanded by General Crooks, and
made up of West Virginians. He remained with his regi-
ment until the close of the war, and was mustered out at
Wheeling, West Virginia, receiving his honorable discharge
May 3, 1865.

At the completion of his military service Mr. Morrison
returned to his father’s farm, and, realizing the need for
further education, attended the common schools for one term
and during one winter. He then taught for one year in the
” country schools, and September 27, 1866, was united in
marriage with Miss Sarah E. Berry. At that time he started
housekeeping on the farm, and remained until September,
1868, in the spring of which year his wife and baby went to
Mrs. Morrison’s father’s home, and Mr. Morrison went to
the private school of Mrs. Berry for one summer. In the
fall he was rejoined by his wife and child at Sutton, where
Mr. Morrison continued his school studies during that
winter. He was next made deputy sheriff under his father,
a position which he held for four years, and was then elected
superintendent of the free schools of Braxton and served
as such for two years. After this he acted as principal
of the Sutton schools, and his next position was in the cir-
cuit clerk’s office, where he remained six years as assistant,
and a like-period as clerk of the Circuit Court. He was a
delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1900,
held at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and in 1904 he was one
of the electors from West Virginia who voted for Roosevelt
and Fairbanks for president and vice president. He served
as mayor of Sutton a number of terms. During his incum-
bency as mayor in 1905 and 1906 he was instrumental in
having the present up-to-date paving, sewage and sidewalks
installed, and also caused the undesirable of many classes
to vacate and leave the city. When he left public office
Mr. Morrison embarked in the general merchandise busi-
ness at Sutton, in which he remained with success for ten
years, and then sold out and embarked in the real estate and
fire insurance business, a field in which he also met with
success. While well advanced in years, he still takes an
active part in business affairs and is president of the Sutton
Wholesale Grocery and Milling Company, and a director
of the Home National Bank, where he is acting as secretary
of the board. Mr. Morrison is a faithful member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church and a member of the official
board. As a fraternalist he belongs to Sutton Lodge No.
21, A. F. and A. M., of which he is a past master; Sutton
Chapter No. 4, R. A. M., and Sutton Commandery, K. T.

Mrs. Morrison died February 18, 1918, mourned by all
who had known her. She had been the mother of nine chil-
dren, of whom five are now living: Laura M., the wife of
E. G. Rider, an attorney at Charleston and a member of
the Public Service Commission of West Virginia; Elizabeth,
the wife of Carey C. Hines, of Sutton; Audrey, the wife of
Carl S. Walker, a pharmacist of Gassaway, this state; James
T. B., identified with the Wholesale Grocery and Milling
Company of Sutton; and Wellington F., Jr., a graduate of
the law department of the State University, and chief of the
land department of the state auditor’s office at Charleston.

J. H. Hutchison

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 8, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 299-300
Braxton

J. H. HUTCHISON. Prominent among the officials of
Braxton County, one who has won and held the confidence
of the people by reason of long, capable and faithful dis-
charge of public responsibilities is J. H. Hutchison, occupy-
ing the office of sheriff. For a long period of years he was
engaged in educational work, a field in which he became well
acquainted with his fellow-citizens in various parts of the
county, and during his entire career has been known as a
straightforward and courageous executive in each of his
several positions of authority.

Born in Braxton County, February 13, 1884, Mr. Hutchi-
son is a son of William and Esther C. (Jones) Hutchison.
His great-great-grandfather was Jacob Hutchison, who, on
June 27, 1797, married Hannah MacMillan, and they had
four children: John, born May 4, 1798; William, born
May 6, 1800; Jacob, born May 22, 1802; and Joseph, born
July 23, 1804. William Hutchison, of this family, great-
grandfather of Sheriff Hutchison, married Jane MacMillan,
and they had seven children: Nathan, Hannah, Joseph,
Felix, Virginia, Miles M. and Ann. Of these Felix, the
grandfather of Sheriff Hntchison, married Ann E. Kincely,
and they had the following children: William, Henderson
B., John R., Elizabeth J., Ellis Lee, Nancy P., Clark and
Winfield S.

William Hutchison, father of Sheriff Hutchison, was born
in Braxton County, September 12, 1853, and was reared on a
farm, his education being acquired in the country schools.
He married in this county Esther C. Jones, who was born in
Highland County, Virginia, April 15, 1854, and was about
twenty years of age when she came to Braxton County.
Following their marriage they settled on a farm near Flat-
woods, West Virginia, where Mr. Hutchison was engaged
in agricultural operations for twenty-two years. He then
retired from active pursuits and lived quietly until his
death, which occurred March 27, 1920. In polities he was a
republican, and his religious faith was that of the Methodist
Protestant Church. Mrs. Hutchison, who survives her hus-
band and resides on the old home farm with one of her sons,
belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. She and
her husband were the parents of four children: O. C., an
agriculturist carrying on operations in Braxton County;
Willis Lee, who died June 16, 1910; J. H., of this notice;
and W. F., a farmer, who is married and lives on the old
home place, which he operates for his mother.

J. H. Hutchison was reared on the old home farm near
Flatwoods, and received good educational advantages in the
public school and the normal school at Glennville. After
teaching in the public schools for eighteen terms he was
elected and served four years as county superintendent of
the Braxton County free schools, then becoming the repub-
lican candidate for sheriff, an office to which he was elected
by a good majority and in which he is still serving. His
record is a splendid one, and under his administration the
law has been strictly enforced and has been given the re-
spect which is its due. His deputies at this time are G. S.
Hamrick, office deputy; and W. M. Toulim, field deputy.

On December 25, 1906, Mr. Hutchison married Blanche
Mearns, who was born near Rock Cove, Upshur County,
West Virginia, and educated in the common schools. To
this union there have been born four children: Bernard M.,
who is attending high school; and William M., Velena M.
and James Hollis, pupils of the graded school. Mrs.
Hutchison is a member of the Methodist Protestant Church
and her husband of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Fraternally he is affiliated with Corley Lodge No. 38, K. P.;
and Bulltown Lodge No. 283, I. O. O. F. Mr. Hutchison
is a man of considerable means, being the owner of a farm
of 350 acres and one of the directors in the Bank of Sutton,
West Virginia, in the county seat of Braxton County, where
he resides in a comfortable and attractive home, surrounded
by all conveniences and the center of a group of admiring
friends.

William H. Lee

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 8, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 291
Braxton

WILLIAM H. LEE. All honorable success is based upon a
definite aim in life and persistency of purpose in a given
course. It is the man who does the work nearest at hand
and whose industry leaves him no idle, wasteful moments
who deserves the honor and respect of his fellow men. That
men do not find the niche for which they consider them-
selves fitted is largely due to their inability to fit them-
selves for those places which they could occupy with profit
and honor. Tracing the lives of prominent men in the
business world, it is easy to see that progressive characters
have never lacked opportunities, and that opportunities have
not signified so much as the man. In the case of William
H. Lee, a prominent and prosperous hardware dealer of
Sutton, he has created his own opportunities and has worked
his way along a definite channel to prosperity and position.

Mr. Lee was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania,
October 21, 1860, a son of Hugh and Phoebe G. (Averill)
Lee. His father was born in Washington County, Penn-
sylvania, in 1816, and was reared in his native state, where
he acquired a public school education. When still a youth
he began to clerk in a general store at Cross Creek, Penn-
sylvania, then entering the wool and oil business at Pitts-
burgh, and finally embarking in the coal business, with
which he continued to be identified until his death in 1885.

He was a successful business man of large affairs, and a
man who merited and possessed the full confidence of those
associated with him in any venture or enterprise. He was a
republican in his political sentiment and a man of influence
in his party in Pennsylvania, and during the Civil war
period served with the rank of colonel on the staff of
Governor Curtain. He was a devout member of the Presby-
terian Church, in which he served as an elder, and lived
his faith. At Paris, Pennsylvania, in February, 1840, he
he was united in marriage with Miss Phoebe G. Averill,
who was born in Jefferson County, Ohio; August 22, 1823,
and they were the parents of one son, William H.

William H. Lee was still a child when taken by his
parents to Carnegie, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, where
he received his early education in the graded and high
schools, this being subsequently supplemented by attendance
at the Western University of Pennsylvania. As a young
man he secured employment with the Keystone Coal Com-
pany as the traveling representative in Pennsylvania, with
which he remained until June, 1880. In 1892 he came to
Sutton, West Virginia, and embarked in business on his own
account by purchasing the old Sutton Hardware Company.
With the expansion of business under his capable manage-
ment Mr. Lee realized the need for more extensive quarters
to handle his trade, and he consequently bought a piece of
property and built his present modern and commodious
plant, in which he handles all kinds of hardware, wholesale
and retail. He has made a great success of his venture and
is rightly accounted one of the leading business citizens of
Sutton, where he has built up an excellent reputation for
sound ability and the highest integrity. Mr. Lee is also
a director in the Sutton Electric and Water Works at Sut-
ton, the officers of which are Patrick J. Berry, president and
general manager; and Alf Watker, secretary and treasurer.
This is likewise a going concern and one that has an im-
portant part in the business life of the city.

On January 13, 1887, Mr. Lee was united in marriage
with Miss Martha J. Davis, who was born at Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, and educated in the public schools of that
city. To this union there have been born three daughters:
Genevieve, a graduate of Mary Baldwin Seminary at
Staunton, Virginia, is the wife of A. C. Herold; Florence
M., who attended the Belmont Female School at Nashville,
Tennessee, is now the wife of H. P. Hersperger; and Mar-
garet G., who attended the Mary Baldwin Seminary, is now
the wife of Mayor James A. Gartlin, of Burkesville, Ken-
tucky. The family belongs to the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Lee is a republican in his political allegiance, and as a
fraternalist is affiliated with Sutton Lodge No. 21, A. F.
and A. M.

John I. Bender

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: BENDER, Hon. John I.
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 24, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 267
Braxton County

HON. JOHN I. BENDER. Because of the leading part he
has taken in business, financial and public affairs and the
extent and importance of his connections Hon. John I.
Bender is justly accounted one of the leading citizens of
Braxton County, where he is representative of his district
in the Lower House of the State Legislature and president
of the Burnsville Exchange Bank. He was born at Chapel,
five miles from Gassaway, West Virginia, December 11,
1870, and is a son of Andrew and Eliza E. (Lloyd) Bender.

The paternal grandfather of Mr. Bender, John Bender,
was born in Germany, where he was reared, educated and
learned the trade of tailor. In his native land he married
Mary C. Dabis, and following their union they immigrated
to the United States, first locating for a short time at
Baltimore, Maryland, and then coming to West Virginia
and settling on Steer Creek. Mr. Bender farmed here and
also followed his trade to some extent, but finally went to
the State of Iowa, where his death occurred. He was a man
of religious inclination and was straight-forward and hon-
orable m his dealings. He and his worthy wife were the
parents of the following children: Henry; Mary, who be-
came the wife of N. W. Lloyd; Andrew and John, who
were twins; W. K.; and Christina, who became the wife of
Azariah Bright. All these children are living in 1922 with
the exception of Mary.

Andrew Bender was born in the Chapel community, near
Gassaway, where he was educated in the public schools and
reared to the pursuits of farming, which he adopted on
reaching manhood. Following his marriage he settled on a
farm in his native community, where he has always carried
on his operations, and at the present time is engaged in the
successful cultivation of a valuable and modernly-equipped
tract of 350 acres. He is a republican in politics, and he
and Mrs. Bender are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Of their nine children six are living in 1922:
Tabitha, who is the widow of George C. Gerwig; John I.,
of this notice; Christina, the wife of W. A. Haymond, of
Florida; Iva, the widow of Rev. C. E. Hainrick; L. L., who
is engaged in farming in Braxton County; and Otis A.,
also an agriculturist of Braxton County.

John I. Bender was reared on the home farm in the
Gassaway community, and his early education was acquired
in the rural schools near his father’s farm. Later he
received instruction in private schools, and with this prep-
aration entered upon a career as a teacher, but after two
years decided that the educator’s profession was not his
forte, and accordingly turned his attention to merchandis-
ing. For several years he conducted a store, but in 1905
changed his scene of operations to Burnsville, where he
embarked in the lumber business, an enterprise with which
he continued to be identified and in which he has achieved
a very gratifying success. Mr. Bender was one of the
organizers of the Braxton County Bank, of which he was
president, and when this institution was taken over by the
Burnsville Exchange Bank he became the chief executive
of the combined institution. This position he still holds, his
fellow-officials in the institution being: W. C. Hefner, vice
president; H. B. Marshall, cashier; and Frank Amos,
assistant cashier, while the board of directors consists of
the following: John I. Bender, G. D. Marple, C. A. Wade,
H. B. Marshall, E. A. Stockert, W. C. Hefner, F. G.
Hoover, Prank Amos, John M. Marple, R. D. Dennison and
W. G. Wilson. Mr. Bender is also interested in the oil and
gas business, and is the owner of a handsome modern farm,
on which he maintains a productive orchard. In his various
business connections he has always shown himself thoroughly
capable, reliable and trustworthy, winning and holding the
deserved confidence of his associates, and through his energy
and. progressiveness contributing to the success of the
various enterprises with which he is identified.

Politically a republican, Mr. Bender has long been inter-
ested in public affairs and wields a strong influence in the
ranks of his party. He was the first republican ever
elected a member of the County Court of Braxton County,
serving on that body from 1900 to 1906, and has also been
a member of the Burnsville City Council and of the local
Board of Education, in all of which capacities he advocated
measures that would add to his community’s growth and
elevate its standards of morality, education and good citi-
zenship. In 1914 he was first sent to the State Legislature
of West Virginia, as the representative of his district, and
served capably during the session of 1915 and 1916. Again,
in 1920, he was the successful candidate for the Legislature,
in which he served in the session of 1921 and 1922, to the
great benefit of his constituents. His public career has been
one in which his record is an open book and has been char-
acterized by numerous achievements in behalf of his com-
munity and his state.

On May 1, 1902, Mr. Bender was united in marriage
with Miss Inez Harbert, who was born in Harrison County,
West Virginia, and educated in the public schools and the
State Normal School at Fairmont. Five children have
been born to this union: Edgar A., a graduate of the
Burnsville High School; Earl L., who is attending that
school; and John R., William H. and James C., who are
students in the graded schools. Mr. and Mrs. Bender are
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and active
in the work thereof. As a fraternalist Mr. Bender is a
past master of Burnsville Lodge No. 87, A. P. and A. M.;
a member of Sutton Commandery No. 16, K. T., and
Sutton Chapter No. 29, R. A. M.; a past noble grand of
the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows;
and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.

John Newlon

BRAXTON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: NEWLON, John
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 287
Braxton County

JOHN NEWLON. It is not given to all individuals to suc-
ceed along more than one line of work. Some achieve suc-
cess in the learned professions, others find their life work
in military or civic affairs, still others find themselves best
suited to the directing of big business enterprises. In
the business field alone there are comparatively few men
who make an equal success out of more than one line of
endeavor, but unusual as it is this has been the experience
of John Newlon, of Sutton, who in addition to being general
manager, secretary and treasurer of the Sutton Grocery
and Milling Company, Incorporated, is an extensive trader
in land in Braxton and Webster counties. His success in
both lines has been all his own, for he has climbed every
step up the ladder of advancement, through hard work and
intelligent application of his business gifts.

Mr. Newlon was born on a farm near Sutton, in Braxton
County, January 13, 1877, and is a son of Camden and Dora
(Sumpter) Newlon. Camden Newlon was born near Sut-
ton, in July, 1850, and after receiving a common school
education became an attendant at the State Hospital at
Weston, West Virginia, where he met, and later married,
another attendant, Dora Sumpter, who was born in July,
1852, in Gilmer County, West Virginia. After their mar-
riage they settled on a farm near Flatwoods, where they
spent the rest of their lives, Mr. Newlon dying in July,
1903, and Mrs. Newlon two years later. He was a democrat
in politics, and she a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, South. They were the parents of eleven children:
William, a bridge carpenter employed by the Baltimore &
Ohio Railway; John, of this notice; Lulu, the wife of
John Skidmore; Bertie, the wife of C. B. Eakle; Charles
N. and A. C., residents of Ashtabula, Ohio; Mabel, the
wife of Ward Huffman; Anna, the wife of Fred Lorentz;
and G. R., Draper and Henry, all of Point Pleasant, West
Virginia.

The education of John Newlon was not of an extensive
character, for at the age of thirteen years he left the
country schoolrooms to commence to make his own way in
the world. At that time he went to Weston, where he se-
cured employment in the drug store of which his uncle was
proprietor, and following this was variously employed, ac-
cepting such honorable work as fell to his lot until he was
twenty-one years of age. He was then made deputy county
clerk, a capacity in which he served for four years, then
joining the Sutton Bank as assistant cashier and later be-
ing promoted to cashier. In 1910 he joined the wholesale
grocery and milling concern operating as the Sutton Gro-
cery and Milling Company, of which he is at present gen-
eral manager, secretary and treasurer. His fellow officials
in this enterprise are: W. F. Morrison, president; P. B.
Adams, vice president; and the above gentlemen, with C. C.
Hines, G. P. Gillispie and Will Fisher, directors. This is
a large and successful concern, with a trade extending over
a radius of many miles, and much of its success can be
accredited to the efforts and ability of Mr. Newlon, who
is known as an aggressive business man and who has the
full confidence of his associates. As before noted, in ad-
dition to his connection with this company Mr. Newlon
has been for some years a heavy trader in land, and at
present holds about 1,100 acres in Webster and Braxton
counties. Mr. Newlon is a democrat in his political tend-
encies, but save for a short time in his youth has never
found time to engage actively in political affairs, his busi-
ness interests taking all of his attention. He is at the pres-
ent time a member of the State Committee. He belongs
to Sutton Lodge No. 76, A. F. and A. M.; Sutton Chapter
No. 21, R. A. M.; Sutton Commandery No. 8, K. T., and
to the Mystic Shrine at Wheeling, and is a past master,
a past high priest and a past eminent commander. With
his family he belongs to the Presbyterian Church.

In 1903 Mr. Newlon was united in marriage with Miss
Mamie Bryne, a high school graduate, and they have had
five daughters: Elsie, who is deceased, Frances, a gradu-
ate of the Sutton High School, and Dora, Mary B. and
Margaret.