Category Archives: Berkeley

Charles S. Trump

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 115

CHARLES S. TRUMP. Prominent among the younger
generation of legists at the Berkeley County bar is found
Charles Samuel Trump, who has already displayed profes-
sional ability of a high order and has made rapid strides
in his calling. Mr. Trump is a veteran of the World war,
in which he suffered wounds, and is an energetic, forceful
and capable representative of the kind of citizenship which
in recent years has brought West Virginia prominently to
the forefront in various avenues of endeavor.

Mr. Trump was born at Martinsburg, West Virginia,
January 18, 1891, and is a son of Rev. Charles Trump, a
native of Carroll County, Maryland, born in 1855. The
grandfather of Mr. Trump was George Trump, born in
1807, in Carroll County, Maryland, being a son of Frederick
Trump, also a native of Carroll County, whose father was
Von Johannes Trump, who was born in Holland in 1736 and
came to America during Colonial days, settling in Maryland
and fighting with the Colonial forces during the War of the
Revolution. He died in 1815, while his wife, Catherine
Schloegel, who was born in Holland in 1738, died in 1823.
Frederick Trump was a merchant in Carroll County, Mary-
land, and spent his entire life there. He married Elizabeth
Krantz, who was born in the same county and died in 1888,
aged seventy years. Cornelius Trump, a great-uncle of
Charles S. Trump, was a soldier in the Union army during
the war between the states, and was captured and for a time
confined in Libby Prison.

Rev. Charles Trump took an academic course at the West-
ern Maryland College, Westminster, Maryland, and after
graduation therefrom entered the Lutheran Seminary at
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, being graduated from the theo-
logical department of that institution. At that time he
located at Harpers Ferry, as pastor of the Lutheran Church
there, and in addition to his ministerial duties engaged in
teaching school. After two years Reverend Trump removed
to Centerville, Pennsylvania, where he was pastor of the
old stone church of the Lutheran faith located there, and in
1888 resigned that pastorate to accept a call to St. John’s
Lutheran Church at Martinsburg. Here he labored faith-
fully and effectively until his greatly-mourned death in
October, 1919. He married Eva Schick, who was born at
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and she survives him as a resi-
dent of Baltimore, Maryland. She reared five children:
Harold, Mary B., S. Elizabeth, Charles Samuel and Frank
M. Mr. Trump’s maternal great-grandfather was John
Lawrence Schick, Sr., who died in 1834. He married Susan
Holtzworth, of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in November, 1819.
He was born in Duerscheim, Germany, January 22, 1793,
and came from there to America, September 20, 1818, and
settled in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. His son, John Lawrence
Schick, the maternal grandfather of Mr. Trump, married
Sarah Welty. He was born December 25, 1822. When he
was a young child his parents moved to Gettysburg, Penn-
sylvania, where he died in 1913, aged ninety-one years. He
was a strong Unionist, and while he never served in the war
he gave liberally to the cause. He served many years as
treasurer of the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Associa-
tion.

Charles S. Trump attended the public schools of Martins-
burg, completing his high school course at the East High
School, Columbus, Ohio, following which he enrolled as a
student at West Virginia University, Morgantown, where
he completed an academic course of one year and then en-
tered upon a three-year law course. He was still at the
university when the United States became embroiled in the
World war, and in 1917 he enlisted in the United States
service, being first stationed at Camp Benjamin Harrison,
Indiana, where he was commissioned a second lieutenant and
assigned first to the Eighty-third Division, from which
he was transferred to the Thirty-seventh Division and later
to the Seventy-ninth Division, with which he went overseas
in December, 1917. Going to the front in France, he par-
ticipated in various skirmishes and battles until the severe
engagement at Montfaucon, which the Americans captured
September 27, 1918, when he was wounded. He was at once
sent to a base hospital, in which he was still confined when
the armistice was signed, and as soon as he had sufficiently
recovered was placed in charge of Blois Casual Company
No. 311 and returned to the United States. Upon his ar
rival he was assigned to duty at Camp Upton, where he
remained until August 13, 1919, and was then honorably
discharged. Returning to the university, he resumed his
studies and was graduated in 1920 with the degree of
Bachelor of Laws. Admitted to the bar, he at once com-
menced following his profession at Martinsburg, where he
has since built up a large and lucrative practice.

On March 30, 1917, Mr. Trump was united in marriage
with Miss Rose Lee LaVelle, who was born at Uniontown,
West Virginia, daughter of Thomas M. and Susan LaVelle,
and to this union there have been born two children, Belle
Lee and Jeanne LaVelle. Mr. and Mrs. Trump belong to
St. John’s Lutheran Church. He is a member of Washing-
ton Lodge No. 1, Knights of Pythias, and the American
Legion.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Edmund Pendleton Hunter

BERKELEY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: HUNTER, Col. Edmund Pendleton
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 19, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 243
Berkeley County

COL. EDMUND PENDLETON HUNTER. The Hunter family
has been identified with the important history of the coun-
try around Martinsburg for a century and a half. Its
members intermarried with another historic family of this
region, the Harrisons, as noted in another article. This
sketch reviews briefly the well-known older members of the
family, Col. David Hunter and Col. E. P. Hunter.

Col. David Hunter was born at York, Pennsylvania, May
3, 1761, and was a child when his parents settled in what
is now Berkeley County, Virginia. Their home was estab-
lished about two miles north of Martinsburg, on what is
now known as the Williams Port Pike. The Hunter estate
there became known as the Red House Farm. Upon the
organization of Berkeley County the first court convened
at the Hunter home. David Hunter attended a school in a
log building situated near the corner of Queen and Burke
streets in Martinsburg. About 1778 ho went to England,
and was abroad some three years. After his return to this
country he married Elizabeth Pendleton, descended from one
of the first settlers of what is now Berkeley County. Her
father, Philip Pendleton, was born near the present site of
Martinsburg in 1752, was an eminent lawyer and was pres-
ent at the organization of Berkeley County in 1772. Philip
Pendleton married Agnes Patterson. Col. David Hunter
throughout his long life was deeply interested in all the
affairs and progress of his home locality, and he was elected
and served as clerk of the County Court from 1803 until
his death in 1829.

Col. Edmund Pendleton Hunter, son of David and Eliza-
beth (Pendleton) Hunter, was born in 1809, acquired an
education at Jefferson College and was admitted to the
bar in Berkeley County in 1831. He became owner and
editor of the Martinsburg Gazette. He had many interest-
ing associations with public men of his day. He attended
thp Young Men’s Convention in Washington, where he heard
Henry Clay speak, and ever afterward was an ardent sup-
porter of that great Kentuckian. Colonel Hunter succeeded
General Boyd as commonwealth’s attorney for Berkeley
County, and he served in the Virginia House of Delegates
during 1834-35 and 1839-41. During the war between the
states he commanded the Sixty-seventh Regiment of Vir-
ginia Volunteers. He rose to the highest honors in the Ma-
sonic fraternity in his state, and was a member of the
Episcopal Church.

On August 2, 1832, Edmund Pendleton Hunter married
Martha C. Abell, daughter of John and Sarah (Forrest)
Abell. She was born in Jefferson County, and her parents
came from St. Mary’s County, Maryland. Colonel Hunter
and wife reared seven children, named: Sarah, Maj. Rob-
ert W., Elizabeth J., David, John Abell, Martha C. and
Mary Louisa. The daughter Sarah was the wife of Peyton
Harrison, who is elsewhere referred to. The son David
was killed at the battle of Cedar Creek in 1864. Martha
C. became the wife of Harry Riddle and Mary Louisa mar-
ried John H. Doll.

Miss Elizabeth Hunter for several years taught a private
school in Martinsburg. She and her widowed sister, Mrs.
Mary Louisa Doll, now occupy the old home on East King
Street, near the Public Square. Elizabeth Hunter is a mem-
ber of the Episcopal Church and the Daughters of the Con-
federacy.