Category Archives: Berkeley

Randolph Lingan Strother

Source: The South in the Building of the Nation, Volume XII.
Richmond, Va.: The Southern Historical Publication Society, 1909.
Volume XII, page 331

RANDOLPH, Lingan Strother, engineer: b. Martinsburg, W. Va., May 13, 1859. He
was educated at the Shenandoah Valley Academy, Winchester, Va., 1873-76, and
the Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Va., 1876; he graduated from the
Stevens Institute of Technology 1833 [probably 1883] with the degree of
mechanical engineer, and was in the employ of various railroads as engineer of tests,
superintendent of motive power and electrical engineer from 1883-93. He has
been professor of mechanical engineering in the Virginia Polytechnic Institute
since 1893. He is the author of Economic Element in Technical Education;
Virginia Anthracite Coal Fields; Cost of Lubricating Car Journals, etc.

Submitted by: Valerie F.Crook
Email: vfcrook@trellis.net

Nat T. Frame

BERKELEY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 3, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 74

Nat T. Frame, A.B. Among the modern leaders of achievement in the field of
agriculture in west Virginia perhaps none are more widely known than Nat Terry
Frame, of Morgantown, who fills the important position of director of
Agricultural Extension of the West Virginia University. He is a man of college
training and versatile gifts, one to whom opportunity offers many paths in
which these gifts would crown him with success, but for a number of years he has
devoted himself closely to the study of scientific agriculture.

Professor Frame was born at Depauville, Jefferson County, New York, February 25,
1877. He is a son of the lateDr. S. W. and Harriet Antoinette (Terry) Frame, a
grandson of Doctor Luke and a great-grandson of Dr. WilliamFrame, his paternal
ancestry for generations back being continuously professional. The Frames were
known in the Colonial history of New England. Dr. William Frame was a native of
Vermont and removed from there about 1810 to Northern New York, settling in
Jefferson County, where he spent the rest of his existence pursuing the arduous
life of a country doctor.

Dr. Luke Frame, a grandfather of Professor Frame, had somewhat better advantages
than had his father, whom he succeeeded in practice, being a graduate of the
Geneva (New York) Medical College, and in turn was succeeded by his son, Dr.
S.W. Frame, a graduate of Bellevue Medical College, New York City. He is well
remembered in Jefferson County as a farmer and horse breeder, where he became
eminent, and practically spent his entire life. He married Harriet Antoinette
Terry, who was born in Jefferson county, New York, a daughter of Richard
Terry, a country merchant. Her maternal grandfather, John Little, was a native
of Glasgow, Scotland, where he received university training and from there
came to Jefferson County at an early date, settling there about the same time
as did the Frames and Terrys. The early annals of that county mention their
importance in its development.

Nat Terry Frame obtained early educational training in village public schools,
but in 1890 he entered Union Academy at Bellville, New York, where he
completed the entire course in two years, and when he was graduated in 1892 had
the distinction of being the youngest graduate who had ever received a diploma
from that institution. After teaching school for one year at Rual Hill,
Jefferson County, he entered Colgate University, New York, from which he was
graduated A.B. with the class of 1899.

After completing his univerity course Professor Frame became principal of the
high school at Black river, New York, where he continued for two years, retiring
in order to accept the position of superintendent in chare of vocational
training at the George Junior Republic, New York, in which work he remained
greatly interested for two years. He then turned his attention to other
interests for a time, in 1905 becoming identified with the Mutual Reserve Life
Insurance Company in New York, Indiana and Maryland, and during the latter part
of 1907 had his headquarters in New York City, where his executive ablity was
manifested at the head of the company’s school for the training of agents.

It is some fifteen years ago since Professor Frame came first to West Virginia.
He joined with John W. Stewart in the business of manufacturing and
distributing horticultural supplies at Martinsburg, under the style of the
American Horticultural Dustributing Company. In 1910 he became further
interested in association with Alexander Colhan, Gray Silver and C.B. Hart in the
development of orchards and farms. This association continued for three years,
during which time Professor Frame, in addition to his other duties, served
as secretary of the Eastern Fruitgrowers Association and also of the Berkley
Horticultural Society, being also actively concerned with the affairs of the
West Virginia State Horticultural Society and additionally with civic and
community movement in Martinsburg.

On June 19, 1900, professor Frame was united in marriage with Miss Grace Boomer,
who was born at Bellville, New York, a daughter of Edward and Mary (Overton)
Boomer, who belonged to old pioneer families of Jefferson County. Four children
have been born to Professor and Mrs. Frame: Luke W., born April, 1901;
Richard N., born in 1902, died in 1907; Robert, born in March, 1911; and
William, born in May, 1912.

In 1913 professor Frame went fo Louisville, Kentucky, in answer to a call to
become agent in agricultural extension for Jefferson County, but on January 1,
1914, he retuned to West Virginia to become state agent in charge of county
agents in the extention service, and on January 1, 1919, he was made director
ofAgricultural Extension in the West Virginia University. He has many
associated interests and is one of the busy men of the university and city,
enthusiastic on the subject of his specialty, but not unmindful of the claims of
other important world-wide interests to the attention of scholarly men, and to
the real need taht may arise for the help of their trained understandings in
solving many public problems. He is field secretary of the American Country
Life Association; is a chairman on Co-relations of the State Social Workers
Conference; and is a member of the Morgantown Kiwanis Club and of other
organizations, including his old college Greek letter fraternity, the Phi
Kappa Psi. he has never been a politician but always a sincere citizen, and
naturally is proud of his true American ancestry.

Ernest L. Luttrell

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 19-20

ERNEST L. LUTTRELL. A lawyer of exceptional ability
and well matured powers and experience, Mr. Luttrell has
been a member of the Berkeley County bar, and while he
has had official responsibilities during the greater part of
the time since his admission he has also built up an exten-
sive general practice. His offices are in the Shenandoah
Bank Building at Martinsburg.

Mr. Luttrell was born on a farm thirteen miles northwest
of Winchester, in Frederick County, Virginia. His father,
Charles W. Luttrell, was born near Collinsville, in the same
county, on December 3, 1855. The grandfather was Lewis
Luttrell, a native of the same county, and the great-grand-
father was John Luttrell, also a native and life-long resident
of Frederick County, where his ancestors settled when they
came from England in Colonial times. Lewis Luttrell grew
up on the farm, inherited a portion of the old homestead,
but subsequently sold it and farmed as a renter. He died
at the age of sixty-nine. The maiden name of his wife was
Elizabeth Dick, a native of Frederick County and daughter
of Richard Dick, a farmer and woodsman of that section.

Charles W. Luttrell was reared on a farm. His ambition
led him to make the most of his advantages in the local
schools, and at the age of twenty-one he began teaching
and was a factor in local educational circles for five years.
>From Frederick County he moved to Berkeley County, was
clerk in a general store at Glengary and later at Ganotown,
and in 1906 bought property at Nollville, where he was in
the mercantile business until January, 1921. At that date
he sold out and is now retired at Martinsburg. He served
as postmaster at De Haven in Frederick County, and was
assistant postmaster at Glengarry and postmaster at Gano-
town, both these appointments coming during Grover Cleve-
land’s administration. In 1881 Charles W. Luttrell married
Julia P. De Haven, a native of Frederick County. Her
father, James De Haven, owned and operated a flour mill
on Green Spring Creek in Frederick County. Charles W.
Luttrell and wife had two children, Elston M. and Ernest
L. The parents are active members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, South, and the father has been on the
official board of the church. Charles W. Luttrell is very
conspicuous for his religious work, to which he has devoted
much of his time and means. He is sincerely interested in
every movement for the betterment of his fellow man.

Ernest L. Luttrell received a rural education during his
early years, later attended Shepherd College, and from there
entered West Virginia University, where he took a brief
academic course and then continued in the law school until
graduation in 1910. Mr. Luttrell has done all his practice
as a lawyer at Martinsburg. In that city he became asso-
ciated with A. B. Noll, and served four years as assistant
district attorney under Mr. Noll and later four years under
District Attorney W. W. Downey. Mr. Luttrell in 1919
formed a partnership with Decatur Rogers, and this firm is
recognized as one of the strongest in Berkeley County.

In 1912 Mr. Luttrell married Ida Lillian Rice, who was
born in Jefferson County, daughter of William M. Rice, a
farmer near Shepherdstown. Mr. and Mrs. Luttrell had two
children, Edna Marie and Ernest Glenville. Mr. Luttrell
is affiliated with Equality Lodge No. 44, A. P. and A. M.,
with the thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Masons, is a
member of Washington Lodge No. 1, Knights of Pythias,
and the D. 0. K. K. branch of that order, and is a member
of the Loyal Order of Moose and the Patriotic Sons of
America.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Peyton Randolph Harrison

BERKELEY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: HARRISON, Peyton Randolph
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 19, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 242-243
Berkeley County

PEYTON RANDOLPH HARRISON bears a historic name, is a
member of the third successive generation of that name,
and for many years has been an active and prominent citi-
zen and business man of Martinsburg.

He was born in that city. His father, Peyton Randolph
Harrison, was born at Clifton on the James River, and his
grandfather, Rev. Peyton Randolph Harrison, was born at
Brandon on the same river and represented the distin-
guished Harrison family of that state. Rev. Mr. Harrison
was a Presbyterian minister, and at an early time was iden-
tified with the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church at
Martinsburg. He finally removed to Baltimore, where he
spent his last years retired, dying at the age of eighty-one.
He married a daughter of Judge Carr, of Virginia. Their
children were: Mrs. William Hoge; Mrs. Lyle Turnbull;
Mary, who became the wife of Maj. Robert W. Hunter;
William Wirt; Peyton Randolph; and Henry Tucker.

Peyton Randolph Harrison, II, graduated from the law
department of Princeton University and achieved a very suc-
cessful practice at Martinsburg. He was appointed to de-
liver the oration at the 4th of July celebration at Martins-
burg in 1860. Immediately before the outbreak of the war
between the states he entered the Confederate Army, with
the commission of lieutenant, and he and two of his cousins
were killed in the first battle of Manassas. He married
Sarah Forrest Hunter, a native of Martinsburg and daugh-
ter of Edmund Pendleton and Martha Crawford (Abell)
Hunter. Edmund Pendleton Hunter was a native of Mar-
tinsburg, an attorney by profession, and died of cholera
in early life. He was a grand master of Virginia Masonry
before the state was divided, and was one of the first emi-
nent grand commanders of Knights Templars in West Vir-
ginia. In that capacity he laid the cornerstone of the old
Reformed Church at Martinsbnrg. Later, when this church
was burned down, his grandson, the present Peyton Ran-
dolph Harrison, as grand master officiated at the corner-
stone laying. E. P. Hunter’s wife was born near Elkwood
in Jefferson County. Sarah F. Harrison is still living, at
the age of eighty-eight. She became the mother of the fol-
lowing children: Jane Cary, wife of Rev. Edward D.
Washburn; Edmund P.; Peyton Randolph.

Peyton Randolph Harrison, III, was educated in a pri-
vate school taught by John Sellers, a Scotchman, and fin-
ished his military and technical education in the Virginia
Military Institute at Lexington, where he specialized in
civil engineering. On returning to Martinsburg he took
up a business career, and since 1888 has been prominent in
the insurance and bonding field. He represents gome of the
standard companies of fire, life, accident and liability insur-
ance. His influence and capital have been identified with
a number of commercial enterprises. He helped organ-
ize and is principal owner of the Expert Apple Company,
being secretary, treasurer and general manager of this cor-
poration.

Soon after his college career Mr. Harrison was chosen a
magistrate. In 1896 he was candidate for re-election, but
suffered defeat with the republican landslide of that year.
Subsequently he was appointed by the County Court, and
served two and a half years. In 1912 he was elected mayor,
serving two years, and in 1916 was again chosen the city’s
chief executive. In 1913 he was appointed deputy collector
of internal revenue, with office in the Federal Building at
Martinsburg, and he held that post until June 30, 1921,
when the office was abolished. In the meantime he had col-
lected for the Government a sum totalling $1,450,000. Mr.
Harrison is commissioner in chancery for the Circuit Court,
and several cases have been referred to him from the Fed-
eral Court.

He has been twice married. His first wife was Lillian
Gorham, a native of Rockford, Illinois, and daughter of
Marquis L. and Helen (Meade) Gorham. She died in 1890,
leaving a daughter, Lillian, who is the wife of Forrest A.
Brown, only son of Forrest W. Brown, of Charles Town,
and they have three children, Sarah Forrest, Forrest Wash-
ington and Peyton Randolph Brown. For his second wife
Mr. Harrison married a daughter of E. Holmes and Lily
(Dandridge) Boyd, of Winchester. The two children of
this marriage are Peyton Randolph and Ann Spotswood.
The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. Judge
Harrison is affiliated with Equality Lodge, A. F. and A. M.,
Lebanon Chapter No. 2, R. A. M., Palestine Commandery
No. 2, K. T., of which he is a past eminent commander, and
Osiris Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Wheeling.

Ezekiel Dean Gardner

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 104-110

EZEKIEL DEAN GARDNER, who is established in the plumb-
ing and tinning business in his native city of Martinsburg,
Berkeley County, was here born on the 9th of August, 1867,
and he is a son of John F. and Emma (Showers) Gardner.
John F. Gardner was born at Smithsburg, Washington
County, Maryland, a son of George Gardner, who is sup-
posed to have been born at Reading, Pennsylvania, the latter
having been a son of one of two or three brothers who came
from Holland to America in the Colonial period of our
national history and established residence in Pennsylvania.
George Gardner learned the weaver’s trade, at the time
when weaving was done by hand. He lived for a number
of years at Smithsburg, Maryland, and then came to Mar-
tinsburg, Virginia (now West Virginia), where he died at
the age of eighty-four years. The maiden name of his
wife was Getzendanner, and she was reared at Frederick,
Maryland. She preceded him to the life eternal.

John F. Gardner received good educational advantages,
and as a young man he taught school on Stephen Street at
Martinsburg until the outbreak of the Civil war, when he
engaged in the provision business, to which he here gave his
attention until his death, at the age of fifty-two years. His
wife was a daughter of Ezekiel Showers, who was an early
settler in Berkeley County, where he purchased a large tract
of land, including that now comprising Green Hill Cemetery,
an appreciable portion of his landed estate being now
within the city limits of Martinsburg. Mr. Showers erected
and equipped a woolen mill on Tuscarawas Street, and this
he operated successfully in addition to his farming enter-
prise. His wife, whose maiden name was Susan Sibert, was
a member of the well known family of that name in this
section of West Virginia. Mrs. Emma (Showers) Gardner
died at the age of sixty-seven years. Her children were
six in number: Susan, Hannis, Kate (who died young),
John Franklin (deceased), Ezekiel Dean, and Roberta Lee
(died at the age of twenty-five years).

Ezekiel D. Gardner gained his early education in the
public schools of Martinsburg, and as a youth he served
an apprenticeship to the carpenter’s trade. After follow-
ing this trade for a time he established himself in the
plumbing and tinning business, in which he here continued
until 1904, when he was elected sheriff of the county. Upon
the completion of his term of four years he was renamed
for a similar period as a clerical assistant in the office of
the sheriff, and next served four years as deputy sheriff.
At the expiration of this last period he resumed business
in the plumbing and tinning line, in which he has continued
with excellent success. Mr. Gardner is affiliated with
Equality Lodge No. 44, A. P. and A. M.; Lebanon Chapter
No. 1, R. A. M.; Palestine Commandery No. 2, Knights
Templars; the Lodge of Perfection; Osiris Temple, Mystic
Shrine, at Wheeling; and also with the Fraternal Order of
Eagles.

At the age of thirty years Mr. Gardner married Miss
Mary Cecelia Sullivan, who was born and reared at Martins-
burg and who is a daughter of Michael and Elizabeth Sulli-
van. Mr. and Mrs. Gardner have two children: Louise
Marie and John Frederick.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Philip Pendleton Cooke

Source: The South in the Building of the Nation.
Richmond, Va.: The Southern Historical Publication Society, 1909.
Volume XI, page 228

COOKE, Philip Pendleton, poet, son of John Rogers Cooke: b. Martinsburg, Va.
(now W. Va.), Oct. 26, 1816; d. Clarke county, Va., Jan. 20, 1850. He
graduated
at Princeton in 1834, studied law, began practice, and married before he was
twenty-one. He had no great love for his profession, and, removing to a fine
estate in Clarke county, he devoted himself to literature and field sports,
becoming known as the greatest huntsman in the Shenadoah Valley. He is best
known for short lyrics, the most popular of which is Floence Vane, praised by
Lowell, translated into many languages, and set to music by celebrated
composers.
His genius was much admired by Poe, who recognized in his poetry the genuine
sense for beauty and the charming freshness and sincerity of poetic
inspiration.
Even his popular novels are characterized by vivid picturesqueness and
coloring.
No doubt his devotion to out-door life accounts in part for the freshness
of his
style. His early death was caused by pnemonia contracted through exposure
in the
chase. His works embrace: Froissart Ballads, and Other Poems (1847); John
Carpe;
The Crime of Andrew Blair; The Gregories of Hackwood; and Chevalier Merlin
(unfinished).

Submitted by: Valerie

Frank H. Kneisly

BERKELEY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 329-330
Berkeley

FRANK H. KNEISLY. Early in life Frank H. Kneisly
learned to depend upon himself and his exertions, and his
industry and good character have brought him both pros-
perity and the general esteem of the people of Berkeley
County, among whom he has lived the greater part of his
life.

Mr. Kneisly was born in Washington County, Maryland.
His father, Joseph H. Kneisly, was bom on a farm a mile
from Columbia in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and as
a youth learned the trade of shoemaker. This was then a
good business for which to qualify, since there were few
factories for the manufacture of shoes by machinery, and a
shoemaker was in realty the proprietor of an important
local business. However, he did not follow his trade long,
but, moving to Washington County, Maryland, bought land
on the road leading from Hagerstown to Half Way and in
connection with farming he engaged in the transport of
produce and merchandise between Hagerstown and Wil-
liamsport. He lived there until his death at the age of
seventy-three. He married Leah Huber, a native of Lan-
caster County, Pennsylvania, who died in early life, her only
child being Frank H. Kneisly.

Frank H. Kneisly attended public schools, acquired a good
business education, and at the age of nineteen left home and
since then has been self-supporting. He was employed as a
farm hand until 1890, when he moved to Berkeley County
and at Martinsburg established a transfer line, fully
equipped for all the demands put upon it. About that time
he also bought the farm he now occupies on the Martinsburg
and Williamsport Pike, two miles from the courthouse.
This farm has few superiors in that section of the country
in the way of equipment of buildings and other improve-
ments.

On August 28, 1890, Mr. Kneisly married Lucy Helena
Kensel, who was born on a farm in Falling Waters District
of Berkeley County. Her father, John J. Kensel, a native
of Franklin County, Pennsylvania, was left an orphan at an
early age, was reared by an uncle in Berkeley County and
as a youth returned to Franklin County to learn the trade of
tailor. Eventually he returned to Berkeley County and
located in Falling Waters District and engaged in farming.
Subsequently he lived in Arden District eight years, eleven
years in Dry Run District, and then moved to the Williams-
port Pike, where he spent his last days and died at the age
of eighty-two. He married Elizabeth Turner, who was born
in Falling Waters District, daughter of James and Sophia
Turner. Elizabeth Kensel died at the age of eighty-five.
Mr. and Mrs. Kneisly have five children, James Franklin,
Hamilton Bernard, John Joseph Arlington, William Adrian
and Lncy Helen, and they lost a daughter, Berkeley Vir-
ginia, at the age of five and a half years. The son James
married Lucy Shriver, and they have three children: Paul
Preston, James Kenneth and Paulina. The family are all
members of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.

Roger Earl Watson

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 110

ROGER EARL WATSON, who is engaged in the successful
practice of law at Martinsburg as one of the able and repre-
sentative members of the bar of Berkeley County, has the
distinction of being the only person born in the old home-
stead of Gen. Charles Lee, a Revolutionary officer, at Lee-
town, Jefferson County, West Virginia, the date of his
nativity having been February 10, 1886.

The lineage of the Watson family traces back to stanch
English origin, and the name has been one of prominence
in the history of Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia,
in connection with both civic and material development and
progress. From Scotland, via England, James Watson with
three brothers came to America prior to 1740, and settled in
St. Mary’s County, Maryland. He married Mary Greene,
who, according to family tradition, was a sister of Gen.
Nathaniel Greene, the distinguished Revolutionary officer.
James Watson bought land near Port Tobacco, Charles
County, Maryland, where he developed the fine estate known
as Chestnut Ridge. By marriage the Watson family became
related to Charles Carroll of Carrollton, another dis-
tinguished figure of the Revolutionary period. Numerous
representatives of the family were identified with early
Indian conflicts, and members of the family also gained
fame as scouts and soldiers of the patriot forces in the war
of the Revolution. Among the numerous children of James
and Mary (Greene) Watson were three sons, Joseph,
Zephaniah and James Greene, and through one of these sons
the subject of this review is a descendant of James Watson,
one of the three original representatives of the family in
America.

John James Watson, father of him whose name initiates
this article, was born in what is now Jefferson County, West
Virginia, August 15, 1836, his father, James Watson, hav-
ing been born in Maryland, and who came thence to Vir-
ginia and developed a large farm estate in the vicinity of
Leetown, Jefferson County, he having been the owner of a
goodly number of slaves. He was somewhat more than
seventy years of age at the time of his death. The maiden
name of his wife was Elizabeth Shaull, and their children
were ten in number, namely: Benjamin, George, John J.,
Ephraim, Charles, Snowden, Joseph, Daniel, Lydia and
Elizabeth.

John J. Watson was reared on the old homestead, and at
the inception of the Civil war he entered the Confederate
service, in which he participated in the first battle of Bull
Run and many other important engagements, besides which
he served for a time as courier between Generals Lee and
Jackson. He was wounded in the forehead, and bore the
scar until his death. In the last year of the war he was a
member of dark’s Cavalry, and he was its last survivor.
He was present at the surrender of General Lee, his service
having covered the entire period of the war. After the war
he was for twenty-five years engaged in mercantile business
at Charles Town, Jefferson County, and he then removed to
Martinsburg, where he continued a few years in the same
line of enterprise, and then retired from active business,
his death having here occurred November 1, 1921. His
wife survives him, her maiden name having been Ella Vir-
ginia Rogers. Her birth occurred in Jefferson County, she
being a daughter of Isaac and Drusilla (Nicely) Rogers.
The only child is Roger Earl, immediate subject of this
sketch.

In 1904 Roger E. Watson graduated from the Martins-
burg High School, as president of his class, and in the same
year he entered the University of West Virginia, where he
took a course in the department of chemistry. For two
years, from 1906, he was engaged as a chemist with the
H. C. Frick Coke Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
and he then entered the law department of the University
of West Virginia, in which he was graduated in 1910, he
having been president of his class in the junior year. After
receiving his degree of Bachelor of Laws, with concomitant
admission to the bar of his native state, Mr. Watson opened
an office at Martinsburg, where he has developed a sub-
stantial and representative law practice and gained secure
vantage-ground as a resourceful trial lawyer and conserva-
tive counsellor. He has been active in local campaign
service of the democratic party, and is one of the loyal
and progressive citizens of the fine little city that is the
judicial center of Berkeley County. Mr. Watson is affiliated
with the Pi Kappa Alpha and the Theta Nu Epsilon fra-
ternities of the University of West Virginia, and as an
undergraduate in that institution he was active in athletic
affairs, he having been assistant manager of the baseball
team in 1910 and manager of the second team of that year.

Mr. Watson married, July 4, 1919, Miss Catherine Mc-
Harg, of Boston, Massachusetts, the one child of this union
was Roger Edward.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

George M. Bowers

Biographical Sketches of Members of Congress, Members of the Legislature,
Officers of the State Governement and judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals,
West Virigina, 1917

Source:
West Virginia Legislative Hand Book and Manual and Official Register, 1917,
Compiled and Edited by John T. Harris, Clerk of the Senate,
The Tribune Printing Co., Charleston, West Va.
pgs. 719 – 770

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

pg. 720

Representatives.

SECOND DISTRICT.-COUNTIES: Barbour, Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson
Mineral, Monongalia, Morgan, Pendleton, Preston, Randolph, and Tucker (13 counties.)
Population (1910), 211,690.

GEORGE M. BOWERS (Republican), of Martinsburg, W. Va., was born
September 13, 1863, at Gerrardstown, W. Va., in the heart of the, Shenandoah
Valley. Was a member of the West Virginia Legislature at the age of 28; a
candidate for auditor of the State in 1888; census superintendent in 1890; treas-
urer World’s Fair managers in ,1893; appointed by President McKinley Com-
missioner of Fisheries in February, 1898, and reappointed by President Roose-
velt and President Taft; resigned April 16, 1913. Elected at a special election
held in the second congressional district of West Virginia on May 9, 1916, to fill
the vacancy caused by the death of Hon. William G. Brown. Was nominated
on June 6, 1916, by a majority of nearly 10,000 votes, and re-elected November, 7
1916, to the Sixty-fifth Congress. Assigned to the Merchant Marine and Fish-
eries Committee in the latter body..

Submitted by: Valerie Crook

Samuel Clive Bryarly

BERKELEY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
November 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 342
Berkeley

SAMUEL CLIVE BRYARLY. The Bryarlys have been a fam-
ily of farmers, landowners and of industry in other lines
in Berkeley County for several generations. Samuel C.
Bryarly lives at Martinsburg, where for a number of years
he has been in the service of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Company.

He was born on a farm located between Darkesville and
Tablers Station, in Berkeley County. His great-grandfather,
Robert Bryarly, was an early settler in Berkeley County,
where he owned a large amount of land, including the
present site of Tablers Station. He married Sally Bust.
Both were of Irish ancestry, but were members of the
English Church.

Thomas Bryarly, grandfather of Samuel C., was born
on the Federal Hill farm near Tablers Station, inherited a
portion of his father’s estate and continued a life-long
resident and farmer there. He married Susan Glass, and
their seven children were Robert Pressly, Elizabeth, Sally,
Thomas, Susan, Annie and Mary Eugenia.

Robert Pressly Bryarly was born in the same locality as
his son Samuel C., grew up on the farm, and at the very
beginning of the Civil war entered the Confederate army as
a member of Company B of the First Virginia Cavalry. He
was in the service until severely wounded in the right arm
at the battle of Towns Brook, and thereafter was incapaci-
tated for further active duty. After the war he bought a
portion of the old homestead, and was busily engaged in its
duties until 1890. He then lived for a time in Winchester
and Martinsburg, and for ten years was station agent at
Inwood. He finally retired on account of ill health and died
February 14, 1919. His wife was Cordelia J. Schendel, who
was born in Washington County, Maryland, in 1842, daugh-
ter of Samuel and Julia Schendel. She died January 17,
1912. The six children of these parents were Thomas Cox,
Robert Pressly, Julia Ann, Elizabeth Miller, Mary Louise
and Samuel C.

Samuel Clive Bryarly acquired his first school advantage
in the Grange Hall School, later attended school at Martins-
burg and Inwood, and as a youth he clerked in a store and
assisted in a grain elevator at Inwood. Leaving these oc-
cupations, he removed to Pittsburgh in 1910, and for three
years was employed in the Pennsylvania Railroad Machine
Shops. Leaving Pittsburgh, he returned to Martinsburg,
and for three years was with the Auburn Wagon Works and
since then has been a machinist with the Baltimore & Ohio
Company.

In 1901 Mr. Bryarly married Sabina Lee Graham, who
was born at Gerrardstown, Berkeley County. Her great-
grandfather was a native of England and an early settler in
Franklin County, Pennsylvania, where he followed farming.
Her grandfather, John Graham, was born in Franklin
County, served an apprenticeship at the carpenter’s trade,
became a building contractor, and some barns and other
buildings are still standing in Franklin County that testify
to his workmanship. He died there at the age of seventy-
nine. John Graham married Sabina Lancaster, who was
born in Franklin County, and died there when about eighty
years of age. Andrew Maxwell Graham, father of Mrs.
Bryarly, was born on a farm in Montgomery Township of
Franklin County, March 28, 1828. He was educated in the
rural schools, and the Lancaster Normal School, began
teaching at the age of eighteen, and in 1862 enlisted as a
private in Company F of the Eighth Pennsylvania Infantry.
He was in the Army of the Potomac under General Meade,
and was in nearly all the battles of that army at General
Grant’s command. He remained until the surrender at
Appomattox. For meritorious conduct he was commissioned
first lieutenant, and received his honorable discharge with
that rank. After the war Lieutenant Graham came to
Martinsburg, for several years taught at Gerrardstown and
vicinity, and is now living retired at Martinsburg.

December 24, 1861, he married Isabella Breneizen, daugh-
ter of William S. and Sarah (Wilson) Breneizen. She was
born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. On December 24,
1921, Mr. and Mrs. Graham celebrated the sixtieth anni-
versary of their marriage, and both are still in good health
and have excellent memories. Mr. and Mrs. Bryarly have
three children, named, Robert Pressly, Andrew Clive and
Donald Graham.