W. W. Mcconnell

From “History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and
Representative Citizens,” by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902.

Typed by Laurie Birks Dean.

pp. 582-583
W. W. McCONNELL, who has been a member of the board of education since
January, 1895, is a well-known business man of Wheeling, and is
proprietor of a box factory and of the Pittsburg Coal Yard, with his
office at the corner of Thirty-fifth and McColloch streets. He was born
in Wheeling in 1844, and is a son of Richard McConnell.
Richard McConnell was born at Wellsburg, Virginia (now West
Virginia), and came to Wheeling in 1832. He was a cooperage
manufacturer, established one of the first plants of the kind in
Wheeling, and operated it throughout his business career. He died in
1887, at the age of seventy-three years. He married a Miss Holmes, who
was a native of Virginia, and died before her husband. Eleven children
were born to their union, but three of whom are living, namely: J. W.,
who is in the employ of his brother; Ella, who lives with the subject
hereof; and W. W., whose name appears at the head of these lines.
W. W. McConnell, having had some experience in connection with his
father, established a business for himself in North Wheeling, in 1863,
at the age of eighteen years. After three years he moved to East
Wheeling, and to his present location in 1880. He has developed a large
business, and does contract work, principally in the city, supplying
barrels, casks and boxes for packing. He employs 25 hands, and at times
traveling men, traveling some, also, himself. He has several teams to
do his hauling for the factory and also to deliver coal from the yards.
His present building was erected in 1888, having a floor space of 24 by
175 feet where the office is located, and 73 by 73 feet in the box
factory. He is also a director of the South Side Bank of Wheeling. He
has always been a public-spirited citizen, and has taken a deep interest
in the growth and development of Wheeling, where he has lived all his
life.
Mr. McConnell has been thrice married, his first union being with
Margaret Kinghorn, by whom he had two sons and two daughters, all of
whom died in infancy. He was again married, to Mary E. Dillon, who
died, leaving one daughter, Clara. He then married West Virginia
Dillon, a sister of his second wife and a daughter of B. B. Dillon, an
old resident of Wheeling, and a bricklayer by trade. This union was
blessed by the birth of five children, namely: Ethel; Sarah; John
Wesley; Frank; and Willard. In politics, Mr. McConnell is a Republican,
and in 1895 was elected a member of the board of education.
Fraternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, and was one of the first members of the Zane Street M.
E. church when it was organized in 1866.