William S. Stenger

OHIO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 5, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg.66 & 67

WILLIAM S. STENGER. One of the, most successful concerns in West Virginia
handling motor trucks and equipment is the Stenger Motor Company of Wheeling, a
business founded and built up with steadily increasing prosperity by William S.
Stenger, a young business man of great energy who has had the faculty of doing
well anything he undertook. He is a member of a very well known family in the
Wheeling District.

He was born in Ohio County, West Virginia, May 20 1885. His grandfather, John
Stenger, was born in 1837 in Pennsylvania and soon after the Civil war moved to
the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia and spent the rest of his life as a
farmer in Ohio and Brooke counties. He died at Beech Bottom in Brooke County in
1897. His son, John J. Stenger, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, in February
1862, spent his early life there, married in Wheeling, and for twenty-five years
was employed in the sheet department of iron and steel rolling mills. Since 1907
he has been busied with his farm at Short Creek, West Virginia. He has grown a
large acreage in wheat and also has a peach orchard of twenty acres. John J.
Stenger is a Catholic, a democrat, and member of Carroll Council No. 504,
Knights of Columbus, Wheeling. He married Jane Myles, who was born at Wheeling
in August, 1862. Of their children the oldest is Catherine, wife of Bernard
Baker, a stationary engineer living at Warwood, Wheeling. The second in age is
William S. John J., Jr., is associated with the Stenger Motor company. Vincent
J. went overseas with the One Hundred and Eighteenth Engineers and died in
England in 1918, the age of twenty-eight. Herbert M. and Earl are with their
father on the farm. Raymond E. is a student in St. Charles College at Baltimore.

William S. Stenger acquired his early education in the public schools of
Wheeling, graduated from the Cathedral High School in 1904, and during the next
five years be managed his father’s retail dairy in Wheeling. From 1909 to 1916
he farmed on his own account in Ohio County, and in the latter year he opened at
Wheeling a business known as the Sandow Motor Sales Company. In the summer of
1921 changed the name to the Stenger Motor Company, of which he is sole
properietor. His garage, salesrooms and offices are at the corner of Eleventh
and Water streets. The Stenger Motor Company is the local distributing agency
for the Gramm-Bernstein Motor Trucks, Pilot cars, sells tires and standard parts
for motor trucks, and Mr. Stenger has developed a business that is recognized as
an indispensable service to all truck owners at Wheeling.

Mr. Stenger is a republican, a member of the Catholic Church and Carroll Council
No. 504, Knights of Columbus. His home is at 118 Twenty-first Street in Norwood.
November 24, 1909, at Wheeling, he married Miss Sadie E. Smith, daughter of John
E. and Mary Catherine (Raab) Smith, of Short Creek, where her mother lives. Her
father was a farmer and died at Short Creek. Mrs. Stenger completed her
education in the West Liberty Normal School. To their marriage have been born
six children: Ralph, born in September, 1910; Sarah, January 13, 1912; Gertrude,
in May, 1913; Ruth, in November, 1914; Blanche, in August, 1917; and Angela, in
September, 1919.