Winfield Scott Wilson

BARBOUR COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
March 19, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 358-359

WINFIELD SCOTT WILSON. To Winfield Scott Wilson of
Philippi belongs the credit of a long and active business
career. For many years he was a traveling salesman over
West Virginia territory, was a merchant himself, and now,
when past three-score and ten, he finds congenial work in
looking after his interests as a farmer, a vocation to which
he was reared.

It is doubtful it in all West Virginia there is a family
tree with greater and more important ramifications than
that of the Wilsons. As commanded in the Scriptures,
they have multiplied and replenished the earth and have
sent their representatives to all parts of the United States.
If all the descendants of the first American ancestor could
be mobilized, an army of Wilsons would entrain. They
have been a family intellectually strong and physically
vigorous, and have proved themselves worthy of the name
“genuine Americans.”

The direct line of ancestry runs back to Scotland, where
David Wilson was born about 1650. His son, David, Jr.,
was born in the same country about 1685. The latter
joined the forces opposed to the Government in the Scotch
rebellion of 1715, and when his comrades were defeated
and the rebellion crushed he fled to Ireland. He was living
in Ireland when his son, William, the founder of this
branch of the family in America, was born.

William Wilson was born in Ireland November 16, 1722.
As a young man he came to the American colonies and
was one of the pioneers in the Alleghany Mountain Dis-
trict of Western Virginia. About 1746, after coming to
America, he married Elizabeth Blackburn, a daughter of
Archibald Blackburn. She was bom in Ulster Province
of Ireland February 22, 1725. After their marriage they
established their home on Trout Run, Hardy County, in
what is now West Virginia. William Wilson died Jan-
uary 12, 1801, and his wife, on May 2, 1806. They had
eleven children, and among them were some distinguished
characters, particularly John and Benjamin, both of whom
represented Randolph County as delegates to the Virginia
Convention of 1788 at Richmond, to ratify the Constitution
of the United States. John Wilson was the first county
clerk of Randolph County, in 1787, its first circuit clerk,
in 1809, and the first justice of the peace, in 1787, and
in the same year served as a major of the Virginia Militia,
was county assessor the next year and sheriff of the county
in 1798. His brother, Col. Benjamin Wilson, was in com-
mand of the militia in this part of West Virginia during
the Revolution, had charge of the defense of the frontier
against the Indians and had many encounters with them.
He was the first clerk of Harrison County, and that office
he held almost forty years. His chief service to his coun-
try was the contribution he made to its population of
good men and women. He was the father of twenty-nine
children.

The representative of the second generation in whom
this sketch is particularly interested was William Wilson,
Jr., who was born in Hardy County, February 8, 1754. He
passed away after a long and useful life on January 1,
1851. For many years he was chairman of the Randolph
County Court, and was the county’s representative in the
Virginia Legislature. He married a sister of the old Indian
fighter and Revolutionary war veteran, Jonas Friend, whose
home was at the mouth of Leading Creek.

Their son, William F. Wilson, representing the third
generation of the American family, was born in Hamp-
shire County, West Virginia. He was a pioneer in Bar-
bour County and was associated with the first to lay the
foundations of economic prosperity in this region. He
owned the land upon which Philippi was located and much
other property besides. He perpetuated the reputation of
his family as a mill owner. His forebears were the pioneer
mill-builders of Barbour County. The second mill erected
in Randolph County was built by his uncle, Col. Benjamin
Wilson, and the first mill on Bill’s Creek was placed there
by Moses Wilson. William F. Wilson built the second
mill on that scene. His brother, John, erected a horse-
power mill six and a half miles southeast of Philippi. One
mill near Belington was built by William P. Wilson, and
he built the first mill and carding machine at Philippi,
about 1818. He did not stop public improvement and
internal development with mill building, since he is credited
with having constructed the first wagon road in Barbour
County east of the river, a road some seven miles long,
extending from Philippi to Bill’s Creek. This road was
built at a cost of about 75 cents a rod.

William F. Wilson married Jane Booth, daughter of
Daniel Booth, who lived on Bill’s Creek. Their children
were: Isaiah, Asher, Almond, Maria, Lewis, Albert, Daniel,
Granger, Alpheus, Sarah Jane, Rezin B. and Eugenus.
The daughter Sarah Jane was three times married, her
husbands being William M. Simpson, Henson L. Yoke and
Sabeus Maine.

The representative of the fourth generation was Isaiah
Wilson, who was born in what was then Randolph County,
now Barbour County, in 1810. He died there in 1891.
With only such educational advantages as could be acquired
at home by private study he equipped himself for the
profession of land surveyor, and did that work through
nearly all his active years. He was a democrat in politics.
Isaiah Wilson married Deborah Yoke, whose father, John
Yoke, was of German ancestry and a farmer. Deborah
Yoke was born near Belington in Barbour County and died
in 1885, at the age of sixty. Her children were: Exerxes,
who died in Butler County, Kansas, in 1873; Albert G.,
who was in business as a saddler at Philippi, where he
died; Winfield Scott; and Reason, who became a physician
and died at Hutchinson, Kansas, in 1895.

Winfield Scott Wilson was born March 12, 1849, four
miles from Philippi, in the Philippi District. From the age
of four years he lived in the town of Philippi, where he
attended the public schools. He was associated with his
father on the farm, later became a clerk, and as a com-
mercial traveler he represented the S. L. Delaplain Son
and Company of Wheeling four years. After he left the
road he was engaged in business on his own account as a
merchant from 1873 to 1901. After twenty-eight years in
directing his own business he again resumed work on the
road for Delaplain Son and Company and then with John
A. Horner of Baltimore, and covered a portion of West
Virginia as his territory four years. After severing his
connection with the Baltimore house, Mr. Wilson retired
from business and went back to the farm. At different
times he has handled some contracts for grading and ex-
cavating on public works.

Mr. Wilson comes of a democratic family. He partici-
pated in his first campaign as a voter in 1872, when he
gave his ballot to Horace Greeley, and for fifty years has
steadily supported the democratic nominees. Mr. Wilson
was twice a member of the City Council of Philippi, is
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a past
grand in the Lodge of Odd Fellows, and his membership
in that order dates back fifty years and he is entitled to
the Order’s Jewel for that honor. He is the only surviv-
ing member of the Philippi Encampment of the Odd Fel-
lows. He is a past chancellor and a member of thirty
years standing in the Knights of Pythias, and has sat in
the Grand Lodge of both these Orders.

In Barbour County in April, 1875, Mr. Wilson married
Miss Nannie Townsend, daughter of Isaac Baker Town-
send. She died in 1876, leaving two children. Zona is
the wife of Judge Warren B. Kittle of Philippi, and they
have three children: Virginia, who married Walter Metz,
and they have a son, Harry; Nellie, who married Sherman
Lindsay, cashier of the Peoples Bank at Philippi, and
George W. Kittle. Ernest is a civil engineer living at
Philippi. In April, 1878, Mr. Wilson married, also in
Barbour County, Miss Martha Zinn, daughter of Cornelius
Zinn, who married a Miss Rogers. Mrs. Wilson was born
in Barbour County, one of a family of three sons and five
daughters. The only child born to the second marriage
was Kemper, who died in 1881, at the age of two years.