Samuel Miller Whiteside

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
PJSTON@aol.com
December 2, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg 92

Samuel Miller WHITESIDE, who, under the title of S. M.. Whiteside & Company,
conducts at Morgantown, Monongalia County, one of the largest establishments
in the city devoted to the handling of ladies’, misses’ and children’s
apparel, was born at Benwood, Marshall County, this state December 31, 1865,
a son of Robert J. and Amanda (DeMoss) Whiteside, both now deceased. The
parents were born and reared in Maryland, where their marriage was
solemnized, and whence they came to West Virginia and established their home
in Marshall County.

Samuel M. Whiteside received the advantages of the public schools of his
native city, and was a lad of fourteen years when in 1880, he found
employment in the department store of George E. Stifle & Company in the City
of Wheeling. He continued in the employ of this representative mercantile
concern for twenty-six years, worked his way through the various departments
and by faithful and efficient service gained eventual advancement to the
position of buyer in one of the important departments of the establishment.
He resigned his position in 1906 and came to Morgantown where he opened a
small store on the site of the present new building of the Bank of the
Monongahela Valley, on High Street. A year later the increase of his business
led to his removal to larger quarters in the Wiles Block, at 338 High street,
where he has since continued his substantial and prosperous business. when he
removed to his present location Mr. Whiteside at first utilized only 1,400
square feet of floor space, and an idea of the splendid expansion of the
business is conveyed in the statement that at the time of this writing, in
1921, after three additions, the establishment utilized 4,900 square feet of
floor space.

Aside from the representative business enterprise that he has thus developed
Mr. Whiteside takes loyal and helpful interest in the civic and social
affairs of his home city, and is known and valued as one of its liberal and
progressive citizens and business men. He is an active member and a former
director of the Morgantown Chamber of Commerce, holds membership in the local
Kiwanis Club, and is affiliated with Morgantown Lodge No. 411, Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Whiteside married Miss Bertha L. Zevely, of Wheeling, she being a
daughter of John H. and Maggie (Couniahn) Zevely, of that city.