James Scott Stewart

MONONGALIA COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Tina Hursh
frog158@juno.com
January 10, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 77 & 78

James Scott Stewart. One of the veteran figures in West Virginia educational
affairs, and familiar as an istructor and in other official capacities to the
student body of the university at Morgantown for more than forty years, James
Scott Stewart has made an enviable record of service and is one of the greatly
admired citizens of Morgantown.

He was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, January 5, 1854. Both his grandfathers
were natives of Scotland. His paternal grandfather, Alexander Stewart, a son
of James Stewart, left Scotland early in life and, going to London, England,
became what is known as flour factor or a wholesale dealer in flour. Prior to
1820 he left England and came to the United States, and somewhat later settled
at Steubenville, Ohio, where he lived out his life. He had a considerable
fortune, and one of his investments was a good farm in Jefferson County about
twelve miles from Steubenville. He was instrumental in instituting the first
Lodge of Masons at Stuebenville and became a charter member.

His son, James R.M. Stewart, was born in London and was only a boy when his
parents came to the United States. He grew up in Jefferson County, Ohio,
inheriting the Stewart farm there, and in addition to the responsibilities of
its management he was for years a lumber manufacturer, operating lumber mills.
He died in Ohio in 1881, at the age of seventy-three. James R.M. Stewart
married Cordelia K. Scott, also a native of London, England, and brought as a
child to the United States, her parents settling in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Stewart and Scott families had not been acquainted while living in London.
Cordelia Stewart died in 1895, at the age of seventy-seven.

Her son, Prof. James Scott Stewart, grew up on the old homestead in Eastern
Ohio. His interests were largely identified with the farm until after attaining
his majority. His apt scholorship gave him a good record in the common and high
schools, and in August, 1873, he enrolled as a student in West Virginia
University. He was graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree in 1877, and
three years later received the Master of Science degree. After his graduation
Mr. Stewart remained as an instructor in the preparatory department of the
university, and continued through the various grades of instruction until he
was promoted to professor of mathematics in the university in 1891. During the
school year 1894-95 he was superintendent of public schools at Fairmont, West
Virginia, but without exception he continued to perform his duties as
professor of mathematics until June, 1907. Since leaving the faculty of
instruction Mr. Stewart has continued with the university in an official
capacity as manager of the University Book Store, which is an important adjunct
of the university and a business of no small proportions measured in the
commercial scale.

During his long residence at Morgantown Mr. Stewart has acquired other business
and civic interests. He was one of the organizers of the Farmers and Merchants
Bank and has been a director since the early years of the instituion. He is
vice president and a director of the Morgantown Savings & Loan Society and is
examiner for the real estate offered the society as basis for loans. He is
also a member of the Board of Directors and secretary of the Board of the
Chaplin Collieries Company of Morgantown. Mr. Stewart for forty-three years has
been an elder in the First Presbyterian Church at Mortgantown.

He married Louisa M. Hayes, daughter of Alexander Hayes, of Morgantown.
Following the death of his first wife Mr. Stewart married Sara Meredith,
daughter of the late John Q.A. Meredith, of Fairmont, West Virginia.