Frederick Lutwyche Round

FREDERICK LUTWYCHE ROUND, M. D. Reared in several of the great industrial communities of Pennsylvania, Doctor Round learned the machinist’s trade, but left that to train himself for the profession of medicine and surgery, and for the past twenty years has been one of the busy men in his profession in Southern West Virginia. Most of his work has been in the mining district and as a mine physician, and his present location is at Monaville in Logan County, on the Omar branch of the Chesapeake & Ohio.

Doctor Round was born in the City of Birmingham, Eng- land, May 31, 1872, son of Frederick and Arabella (Lut- wyche) Round, both natives of England and of English ancestry. In 1873, when Doctor Round was about a year old, the family came to the United States and settled at Pottsville, Pennsylvania. In 1880 they removed to North Umberland, Pennsylvania, in 1883 to Sunbury and in 1889 to Danville. Later they again lived at Sunbury. Frederick Round became a prominent man in the iron and steel indus- try of Pennsylvania. For a time he was general bookkeeper of the Pottsville Iron and Steel Company, was connected with the Van Allen Nail Works at North Umberland, the Montour Iron and Steel Company, was manager of the Danville Nail Works, and subsequently was general manager of the Sunbury Nail Works. He was a vestryman in the Episcopal Church, and at the time of his death was registrar of his diocese. Fraternally he was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Frederick Lutwyche Round was reared and attended schools in the several Pennsylvania cities above named. He was in high school at Sunbury, and on leaving high school began an apprenticeship in a machine shop at Danville owned by the Montour Iron and Steel Company. He served the apprenticeship for four years, but followed the trade eight years. In 1897 he took up the study of medicine under Doctor Paules of Danville, and later entered the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, where he gradu- ated M. D. in May, 1902. In search of a field for his pro- fessional work he came to Big Sandy, West Virginia, in November, 1902, was located there about a year, and for ten years was in practice at Davy. For two years his home and professional work were in Huntington, West Virginia, and then after a year at Wilcoe he located at Monaville, and for the past five years has been mine physician for the Island Creek Coal Company. He is a member of the various medical societies, and one of the leaders in his profession.

In 1908, at Bluefield, West Virginia, Doctor Round mar- ried Miss Minnie E. Fortner, of Davy, daughter of William and Octava (Darr) Fortner, both natives of Virginia. Her father was a Confederate soldier in the Civil war, and aside from his military experience his life was spent as a farmer. Doctor and Mrs. Round have two children, Virginia Arabella and Frederick William. Mrs. Round is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, while he returns the faith in which he was reared in the Episcopal Church. Doctor Round is a Royal Arch and Scottish Rite Mason.

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 456-457
Logan

Submitted by Valerie Crook vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 5, 2000