Phillip D. Neal

WOOD COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Pam Honaker
pam_honaker@hotmail.com
May 21, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume II,
page 463

Phillip D, Neal, Wood County

PHILLIP D. NEAl. During the past thirty years Philip D. Neal has had an
official and directing part in the management of half a dozen or more of
Parkersburg’s chief industries, commercial and banking institutions. His
high place as a business man and citizen ia an additional honor to his
family that has been of historic distinction in Wood County from the very
beginning of settlement.

Mr. Neal is a great-grandson of the historic figure, Capt. James Neal,
founder of Neal’s Station, the first block house and center of settlement in
Wood County from 1807 to 1809, in the latter year was chosen member of the
House of Burgessess, and from 1800 until the end of his life he sat on the
bench of the County Court. His wife, whom he married in 1796, was Ephlis
Hook, then about sixteen years of age, who died in 1852. Sheriff John Neal
had thirteen children, and several of his sons carried the line of descent
down to the present generation.

His tenth child was George B. Neal, who was born February 2, 1816, and died
December 24, 1892. He spent all his life at Parkersburg, where he was owner
of a wharf boat and widely known in the river traffic. He was a member of
the Episcopal Church, a democrat, and while he never attained wealth he was
highly respected. He married Caroline McKinley, a daughter of William
McKinley, of an old time family of Weston, West Virginia. She died in 1897.
Her children were Eva, widow of W. W. George; Annie, wife of Dr. N.L.
Guice; Phillip D.; Bettie, wife of Dr. George S. Bowles; Georgie M.,
deceased wife of Doctor Carr; Edward who died in infancy; and Emma, Mrs.
W.C. McConaughey, of Parkersburg.

Philip Doddridge Neal was born at Parkersburg October 11, 1865. He was
endowed with sound inheritance, had an aptitude for business, was well
educated in public and private schools, and his first regular employment was
a a runner for the Parkersburg National Bank. He was with the institution
five years, then became bookkeeper for the Consumers Coal & Mining Company,
and in 1899 organized the Citizens Coal Company, of which he became
secretary and manager and of which he is now vice president and treasurer.
Mr. Neal in 1895 organized and became secretary and general manager of the
Parkersburg Chair Company, and is now president and treasurer of the
industry. He also organized as a subsidiary of the Citizens Coal Company
the Citizens Concrete Company. For several years he was president of the
wholesale grocery house of Shattuck & Jackson Company, a vice president of
the Citizens National Bank, and from time to time connected with other local
organizations.

Mr. Neal is a Knight Templar York Rite Mason, a member of the Mystic Shrine,
and a charter member of the Rotary Club. He is a member of th Episcopal
Church. In 1897 he married Miss Daisy Shattuck, daughter of Charles and
Annie Shattuck. There three children are: Caroline McK., born in 1898;
Phyliss Shattuck, born in 1899; and Annie Shattuck, born 1902.