Marshall College

CABELL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 6, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 441

MARSHALL COLLEGE, which is Huntington’s largest institu-
tion contributing to the reputation of that city as an
educational center, is primarily a teachers’ college, pre-
paring students to teach and supervise, but a great many
men and women have received a portion of their general
education there in preparation for business or professional
careers.

The present institution is the outgrowth of Marshall
Academy, established in 1837, shortly after the death of
Chief Justice John Marshall, of the Supreme Court of the
United States, in whose honor the school was named. It
was organized as a private institution. In 1856 the work
of the Academy was enlarged and reorganized, and the
name changed to Marshall College.

The Civil war greatly affected the fortunes of the school.
So serious was the situation at its close that a number of
leading citizens in this section of the new state of West
Virginia succeeded in having the Legislature take it over
as a state normal school; normal in name, but wholly
academic in organization and in fact, and such it remained
with varying fortune, save a little teaching of pedagogy,
school management, etc., until 1897, when a practice school
of one grade was organized; but the state refused to sup-
port it, and, accordingly, this nucleus was abandoned after
two years of unappreciated effort to develop the normal
training feature, and the school continued as an academic
institution as before.

In January, 1902, the department of education was or-
ganized, and a model or practice school for teachers was
opened. This was the first step toward normal school work
in the state, and the school has since then been officially
known as Marshall College.

The school was established on the site of the present
eastern section of College Hall thirty-four years before the
founding of the City of Huntington. None of the records
of the school during the period of time it was an academy
are preserved. During the time of the war they were lost
or destroyed, and it has been impossible to bring together
any reliable data concerning the early days. All reliable
statistics with reference to Marshall College date from the
year 1867.

The president of Marshall College is Frederic R. Hamil-
ton, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin. The vice
president and professor of literature is C. E. Haworth, a
graduate of Colgate University.