George W. Mccune

CLAY COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@earthlink.net
July 22, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 518
Clay

GEORGE W. McCUNE is clerk of the Circuit Court for Clay
County, and in his home village of Clay, the judicial center
of the county, he is secretary of the board of directors of
the Elk Valley Bank, in which he is a stockholder and a
director, and he is also secretary of the Board of Education
of the Henry District, in which Clay is included. He is the
owner of a tract of fourteen acres of land just outside the
corporate village limits, and on this place is his attractive
residence. Mr. McCune is a stanch republican, and has been
active in the local councils of the party. He served as
deputy circuit clerk of Clay County for six years, and was
then elected circuit clerk, of which office he has been the
incumbent since January 1, 1920. He is affiliated with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Wood-
men of America, and he and his wife are active members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

George W. McCune was born in Roane County, West Vir-
ginia, March 9, 1876, and is a son of William H. and Mary
J. (Reed) McCune, both natives of Kanawha County, where
the former was born in 1844 and the latter in 1848. William
H. McCune was a soldier of the Union in the Civil war, held
the office of orderly sergeant, took part in many engage-
ments and was twice wounded. After the war he continued
his activities as a farmer in Roane County until 1877, when
he removed with his family to Clay County, where he and his
wife passed the remainder of their lives, he having been
one of the substantial farmers and highly honored citizens
of this county. He was a republican in politics, and he and
his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Of their nine children eight are mentioned: Harrison is a
prosperous farmer in Clay County; Jane is the wife of
Henry Holcomb; Grant is numbered among the progressive
farmers of Clay County; George W., of this sketch, was next
in order of birth; Nancy is the wife of Henry Keller; Lucy
died at the age of eighteen years; Patrick C. is a merchant
at Clay; and Benjamin, who now holds a clerical position
in the postoffice in the City of Charleston was in service with
the American Expeditionary Forces in Prance in the World
war, and took part in much of the terrific conflict that
finally won victory for the allies .

George W. McCune was reared on the home farm in Clay
County, and that he profited by the advantages afforded in
the public schools is attested by the statement that for
twenty years he was a successful and popular teacher in the
schools of this part of the state, within which period he
served as district superintendent of the schools of the Henry
District.

Mr. McCune wedded Miss Martha E. Dodd, and to this
union have been born nine children: Ada is the wife of
Curtis Davis; Howard is employed in the general store of
the Elk River Lumber Company; Edith is the wife of John
Davis; Alice is the wife of Ervin Moore; and Vernie, Earl
C., William, Kathleen and Blanche are the younger mem-
bers of the parental home circle.