James Richmond







Richmond Bragg Bair

                                             
James Richmond

Written by George E. Honts, III (Fincastle, VA)

James Richmond was born at Sandstone, at Richmond Falls on
the New River on January 19, 1823.  His grandfather, William Richmond
(born in Pennsylvania, 1752, died in Fayette County, WV 1850) was a veteran
of the American Revolutionary War.  He was also the first settler
in the New River Gorge, just upstream from the present-day I-64 Bridge
at Sandstone.  His log cabin still stands on the west bank of the
river and is still occupied as a dwelling.

William was three times married. His first wife, Mary, bore him nine
children and died in 1807. He thereafter married Margaret Bragg and, in
1849, Rebecca Atkins. Among William’s nine children was the father of James,
also named William (1786 – 1860), who married Mary Christian Kayler (Koehler).
James Richmond married Lucinda Walker c. 1843. Lucinda probably was reared
on Lick Creek on the Greenbrier County side of the New River. To this union
11 children were born:

John (1845-1847); James C. (1848-1898); Harvey T. (1849-1916); Rachel
(1852-1862); Ballard (1854-1923); Ruthy (1858-1881); Silvira (1861-1938
); Robert (1864 –1873); William D. (1866-1867); Oliver (1859-1960); and
Lucinda Ellen (1872-1960).  Lucinda Ellen became the wife of George
W. Bair, Jr.  In 1850, James acquired a farm at Little Beaver in Raleigh
County and lived out his life there.

James died on Saturday, May 25, 1911. The Raleigh Register of
June 1, 1911 announced his death thusly:  “ One of the Oldest and
Best Know Citizens of Raleigh County…died at the home of his daughter
Mrs. George W. Bair [ N. Kanawha Street, Beckley].  Thirty-one grandchildren
and 35 great-grandchildren survived him. James served in the army of the
Confederacy throughout the Civil War.”  He was a Democrat and the
Register
reported “until recently had always taken part in party affairs, being
regarded as one of the ablest counselors of his party”.

He was buried at the Ewart Cemetery in Shady Springs District, Raleigh
County.