Harry G. Williams

MINGO COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 1, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg.61

HARRY G. WILLIAMS has been successfully engaged in the real-estate and insurance
business in the City of Williamson, Mingo County, since 1911, and his insurance
agency, of general order, is one of the most substantial in Mingo County.

Of English and Irish Ancestry, Mr. Williams is a scion of families founded in
Virginia many generations ago, his maternal grandfather having been a prominent
civil engineer in that historic old commonwealth. He is a son of Cyrus and
Octava (Davis) Williams and was born at Tazewell, Virginia, August 20, 1880.
His father was long a representative farmer and citizen of Tazewell County, and
served as a member of a Virginia cavalry regiment under Gen. Jubal A. Early,
throughout the Civil war, he having made a splendid record as a gallant young
soldier of the Confederacy and having never been wounded or captured.

In 1899 Harry G. Williams graduated from the high school at. Richland, Tazewell
County, Virginia, and for three years thereafter he was a student in the private
academy conducted by Professor McIlvain at Bowen Cove, Virginia. He then took a
position in the First National Bank of Montgomery Indiana, where he remained
eighteen months. He then came to Williamson, West Virginia, to assume the
position of assistant cashier of the First National Bank, a position which he
retained until December, 1911, when he resigned and forthwith established his
present real estate and insurance business, in which he has achieved unequivocal
success. He has been decisively progressive and public-spirited as a citizen,
and while he has had no desire for public office he gave four years of effective
service as a member of the Board of Education at Williamson. In the World war
period he was chairman of the local Draft Board, was a vigorous worker in the
drives in support of patriotic objects, including the Government war loans, and
was treasurer of the local chapter of the Red Cross, a position which he still
retains. Mr. Williams is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, is a valued
member of the local Kiwanis Club, is an active member of the Williamson Lodge
of Elks, and he and his wife hold membership in the Presbyterian Church in
their home city.

At Montgomery, West Virginia, a town named in honor of the family of which his
wife is a representative in the maternal line, Mr. Williams was united in
marriage, in 1906, with Miss Myrtle Smith, a daughter of Green and Willie
(Montgomery) Smith, Mr. Smith being a leading contractor and builder at
Montgomery. Mr. and Mrs. Williams have a winsome little daughter, Octavia.