John B. Grove

GRANT COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Elizabeth Burns
burns@asu.edu
January 1, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II,
pg. 212-213

John B. Grove, M.D. Of the men devoted to the science of healing at
Petersburg, Grant County, none brings to bear upon their calling larger
gifts of scholarship and resource than Dr. John B. Grove. It has been
his fortune to have realized many of his worthy ambitions and through
the exercise of his native ability and industry to wrest from his
opportunities financial and professional success. Dr. Grove comes of a
line of physicians and was born at Petersburg, March 20, 1887, a son of
Dr. John and Annie (Welton) Grove.

Dr. Thomas Jefferson Grove, the grandfather of Dr. John B. Grove was
born in 1822 at Sharpsburg Maryland and about 1842 came to the
Petersburg locality. For a time he applied himself to mercantile
operations, but soon became interested in medicine and going to
Winchester, Virginia, studied for that profession under the
preceptorship of Doctor McGuire, thus preparing himself for the practice
of his adopted calling. He began his practice at Petersburg in 1847 and
was in the field actively until 1900, passing away three years after his
retirement. He was one of the pioneers and leading citizens of the
Petersburg locality and owned extensive land interests. Some of this
property he developed into farms and also began the work of developing
orchards, but this did not prove a success on a large scale, for there
was no outlet or market for the fruit raised. In the minority
politically, as a Democrat he did not hold public office. During the
period of the war between the states the home which he had built in 1858
was set aside as a hospital, with himself in charge and it is believed
that during this time he maintained a strict neutrality. Dr. Thomas
Jefferson Grove was married three times. His first wife was Miss Mary
Bean, who bore him a son John, who became the father of Dr. John B.
Grove, and a daughter, Lissie, who married E.A. Harness. His second
wife was Miss Lizzie Neal, who died without issue. His third wife was
Miss Jane Seymour and they also had no children.

Dr. John Grove, the father of Dr. John B. Grove, was born at Petersburg,
in 1852 and inherited a love for the medical profession. After a course
at Washington and Lee University he took his medical work at what is now
New York University, and then spent some time as an intern in Bellevue
Hospital. After he had completed his preparation for his profession, he
returned to Petersburg, and here continued in the active practice of his
calling until his early death in 1897 when he was but forty-five years
of age. Aside from his profession Doctor Grove’s real estate interests
absorbed him, and no political matter gained much headway in his
interest. He voted the democratic ticket, made no public avowal of
religious connection and had no fraternal affiliations. Doctor Grove
married Miss Annie Welton, a daughter of Job R. and Carrie (Seymour)
Welton, and they became the parents of these children: Thomas Jefferson
of Petersburg; Carrie G., the wife of Dr. W.C. VanMeter of this place;
Miss Lizzie M. also of Petersburg; and Dr. John B. of this notice.

John B. Grove laid the foundation for his education in the public
schools of Petersburg, taking the course as prescribed and then went to
the academy at Romney, where he had the advantage of two years of work.
This was followed by a year of college instruction at the Davis and
Elkins College at Elkins, his medical studies beginning immediately
thereafter in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore,
Maryland, from which institution he was graduated in 1909. Later, he
took special work in diseases of the chest in the same institution and
during his senior year was employed as an intern in Mercy Hospital of
Baltimore. In July 1909, Doctor Grove took his State Board examination
and in September following opened his office at Petersburg, where his
twenty-two years of life had been spent. The general practice of his
calling is his field of effort and he has his office in the same room in
which had practiced his father and grandfather for so many years. The
name of Grove is indeed indelibly written on the medical history of
Petersburg, where those bearing the name have always typified the
highest to be found in professional ethics and ability. Doctor Grove
has identified himself with medical society work as a member of the
society representing Grant, Hardy, Hampshire and Mineral counties, of
which he was formerly vice president and he also holds membership in the
West Virginia State Medical Society and the American Medical
Association. His skill in diagnosis and his successful treatment of a
number of complicated cases have created a gratifying demand for his
services and laid the foundation of what has already proved a career of
exceptional breadth and usefulness. To thorough professional equipment
he adds a kindly and sympathetic manner, a genuine liking for his
calling and a ready adaptation to its multitudinous and exacting
demands.

As a citizen Doctor Grove has been a factor in the affairs of the local
government, having been a member of the Town Council. He also assisted
in the promotion of the Potomac Valley Bank of Petersburg and is also
one of the men now behind the big project, which is building the plant
of the Community Power Company of this place. While a democrat in
political matters, he has had little hand in practical politics. He
cast his maiden vote for William Jennings Bryan for the presidency and
was an original Wilson man for president, sitting in the Baltimore
convention when Mr. Wilson secured his first nomination. As a
fraternalist he is a past Mason and attended the Grand Lodge of the
order at Parkersburg. Until he entered the world war as a soldier
Doctor Grove was actively identified with the various drives held for
the sale of bonds and for other war work. He went over the country
arousing the people’s spirit and sentiment, as did Mrs. Grove and in
July 1918, enlisted in the army and was commissioned a first lieutenant,
being assigned to Camp Dix, New Jersey Base Hospital. He was
transferred to the Camp Examining Board March 11, 1919 and was honorably
discharged from the service July 1, 1919.

Doctor Grove married at Staunton, Virginia, October 11, 1916, Miss
Rosalie Sillings, a daughter of Lewis and Caroline V. (Shutterly)
Sillings. She was educated in the public schools, being a graduate of
the Staunton High School, later completing the course at the Valley Home
Seminary. For several years prior to her marriage she was a teacher in
the public schools and taught three terms at Petersburg. Doctor and
Mrs. Grove are members of the Presbyterian Church. Their home is of
their own planning and construction and is one of the conspicuous and
attractive brick residences of Petersburg.