George H. Davis

HANCOCK COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA – BIOS: DAVIS, George H.
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
September 26, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 257
Hancock County

GEORGE H. DAVIS, M. D. Not only is Dr. George H.
Davis of Weirton, a leading and learned member of the
Hancock County medical fraternity, enjoying a high pro-
fessional standing, but is likewise a public-spirited citizen
who has contributed materially to the advancement of educa-
tion and other attending features of modern civilization,
His career has been one of constant activity and well-
achieved success, worthy of the fine old family of which
he is a representative.

Doctor Davis was born on the north side of the Ohio
River, in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, where two Davis
brothers, soldiers of the Revolution, had settled after the
winning of the struggle for American independence. The
family has resided in Western Pennsylvania ever since.
There have been three generations of physicians in this
immediate line, although the father of Doctor Davis was
an agriculturist, with two brothers being practitioners of
medicine. George H. Davis attended the public schools of
his native locality and Mount Hope (Ohio) College, after
leaving which institution he began teaching. After six
years spent as an instructor, during which time he applied
himself in his leisure hours to the study of medicine, he en-
tered the Baltimore Medical College (now the University
of Medicine) at Baltimore, Maryland from which he was
duly graduated as a member of the class of 1895. Among
his classmates were Dr. Spillman Follansbee and Dr. Chris
Fairmont, of Charleston, West Virginia. Doctor Davis
began the practice of his profession at Chester, West Vir-
ginia, and remained in that community until coming to
Weirton as the pioneer physician and surgeon of this
place. He has built up a large and representative practice
and has won the full confidence and esteem of his clientele,
as well as the respect of his professional brethren. He was
formerly surgeon for the Weirton Steel Corporation. Doctor
Davis holds membership in the Hancock County Medical
Society, the West Virginia Medical Society and the Amer-
ican Medical Association.

Since his young manhood, when he applied himself to
educational work. Doctor Davis has been intensely interested
in the public schools. For several years he served as a
member of the School Board, and it was during this period
that the public school system experienced its greatest era
of advancement in the city, having grown from a condition
where only five teachers were necessary to one where sixty
teachers were demanded for the various classes. Doctor
Davis has ever stood for advanced ideas, a uniform program
of class recitation and other progressive features, and it
was largely through his efforts and influence that the dis-
trict supervisor’s office was created. The system at this
time is creditable, although the lack of suitable buildings is
a handicap which the Doctor and others are trying to have
removed. Doctor Davis has also interested himself in the
cause of religion. In 1910 he established the first Sunday
School, the old Union Sunday School, established in the
open, under a locust tree, which thereafter held its regular
meetings in unfurnished dwellings until the Union Sunday
School Building, now the Methodist Episcopal Church, was
built. Next, Doctor Davis started a Presbyterian Sunday
School, which was followed by the establishment, largely
through his efforts of the First Presbyterian Church. He
is also active in civic affairs, and belongs to the Masonic
Club at Weirton. He is a York Rite Mason, a Knight
Templar in the Commandery at Wheeling and a Noble of
the Mystic Shrine, and also holds membership in the Knights
of Pythias.

While still a medical student at Baltimore, Doctor Davis
was united in marriage with Miss Catherine L. Candler,
of that city, who is a representative of two royal families.
On the German side she is descended from the Hotz family,
with a castle on the Rhine, and on the English side is a
descendant of Lord Seymour, and retains the coat-of-arms
of this family in her home. Doctor and Mrs. Davis are
the parents of two daughters: Lydia Ann, who graduated
from the Weirton High School as a member of the class of
1922; and Margaret M., attending high school and is a
member of the class of 1924.