Friend Ebenezer Clark

WETZEL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Chris & Kerry
cmac4330@chesapeake.net
December 13, 1999
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.
Chicago and New York, Volume II
pg. 152

FRIEND EBENEZER CLARK, Ph. D. While the greater part of his career has been
devoted to the teaching of chemistry, Doctor Clark is widely known in scientific
circles by reason of his original scholarship and as an authority on the
chemical side of industry.

Doctor Clark, who for the past seven years has been head of the Department of
Chemistry of the West Virginia University, is a native West Virginian, born at
New Martinsville, August 21, 1876, son of Josephus and Lina Russell (Cox) Clark.
His grandfather, Ebenezer Clark, came to West Virginia from Pennsylvania and
settled in Wetzel County. Josephus Clark was born in Marshall County, West
Virginia, in 1835, and in Wetzel County was a merchant and farmer, and served
one term as sheriff. He died in May, 1905. His wife, Lina Russell Cox, was born
in New Martinsville, West Virginia, in 1848, daughter of Friend and Susan Cox,
and she is still living at New Martinsville at the age of seventy-three. She and
her husband were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Josephus
Clark was a Mason.

Friend Ebenezer Clark grew up at New Martinsville, graduated from the high
school there in 1894, and from that year until 1898 carried the undergraduate
studies of West Virginia University, receiving in the latter year the Bachelor
of Science degree. The following four years he spent in graduate work in Johns
Hopkins University at Baltimore, and was awarded the Doctor of Philosophy degree
in 1902. Since then he has been a special student in other institutions of
learning, having attended the University of Chicago during the summer session of
1907, and was in the University of Berlin during 1908. Professor Clark was an
instructor in chemistry in West Virginia University during the school year
1902-03. Leaving his alma mater, he was instructor in industrial chemistry in
the Pennsylvania State College from 1903 to 1905 and from 1905 to 1914 was
professor of chemistry at Center College, Danville, Kentucky. In 1914 he
returned to his congenial association with West Virginia University, and since
then has held the chair of chemistry.

Doctor Clark is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of
Science, is a Fellow and life member of the Chemical Society of London, and a
member of the American Chemical Society, American Electra-Chemical Society and
the Society of Chemical Industry. He is a Phi Kappa Psi and Phi Beta Kappa,
belongs to the Masonic Lodge at New Martinsville, and took the Knight Templar
Commandery degrees at Danville, Kentucky. He and Mrs. Clark are members of the
Presbyterian Church.

In June, 1911, he married Emma May Hanna, who was horn at Newcastle,
Pennsylvania, daughter of Samuel and Lucy J. (Dinsmore) Hanna. Doctor and Mrs.
Clark have two children, Josephine Brown, born August 6, 1912, and Samuel
Friend, born February 16, 1916.