Ernest L. Luttrell

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 19-20

ERNEST L. LUTTRELL. A lawyer of exceptional ability
and well matured powers and experience, Mr. Luttrell has
been a member of the Berkeley County bar, and while he
has had official responsibilities during the greater part of
the time since his admission he has also built up an exten-
sive general practice. His offices are in the Shenandoah
Bank Building at Martinsburg.

Mr. Luttrell was born on a farm thirteen miles northwest
of Winchester, in Frederick County, Virginia. His father,
Charles W. Luttrell, was born near Collinsville, in the same
county, on December 3, 1855. The grandfather was Lewis
Luttrell, a native of the same county, and the great-grand-
father was John Luttrell, also a native and life-long resident
of Frederick County, where his ancestors settled when they
came from England in Colonial times. Lewis Luttrell grew
up on the farm, inherited a portion of the old homestead,
but subsequently sold it and farmed as a renter. He died
at the age of sixty-nine. The maiden name of his wife was
Elizabeth Dick, a native of Frederick County and daughter
of Richard Dick, a farmer and woodsman of that section.

Charles W. Luttrell was reared on a farm. His ambition
led him to make the most of his advantages in the local
schools, and at the age of twenty-one he began teaching
and was a factor in local educational circles for five years.
>From Frederick County he moved to Berkeley County, was
clerk in a general store at Glengary and later at Ganotown,
and in 1906 bought property at Nollville, where he was in
the mercantile business until January, 1921. At that date
he sold out and is now retired at Martinsburg. He served
as postmaster at De Haven in Frederick County, and was
assistant postmaster at Glengarry and postmaster at Gano-
town, both these appointments coming during Grover Cleve-
land’s administration. In 1881 Charles W. Luttrell married
Julia P. De Haven, a native of Frederick County. Her
father, James De Haven, owned and operated a flour mill
on Green Spring Creek in Frederick County. Charles W.
Luttrell and wife had two children, Elston M. and Ernest
L. The parents are active members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, South, and the father has been on the
official board of the church. Charles W. Luttrell is very
conspicuous for his religious work, to which he has devoted
much of his time and means. He is sincerely interested in
every movement for the betterment of his fellow man.

Ernest L. Luttrell received a rural education during his
early years, later attended Shepherd College, and from there
entered West Virginia University, where he took a brief
academic course and then continued in the law school until
graduation in 1910. Mr. Luttrell has done all his practice
as a lawyer at Martinsburg. In that city he became asso-
ciated with A. B. Noll, and served four years as assistant
district attorney under Mr. Noll and later four years under
District Attorney W. W. Downey. Mr. Luttrell in 1919
formed a partnership with Decatur Rogers, and this firm is
recognized as one of the strongest in Berkeley County.

In 1912 Mr. Luttrell married Ida Lillian Rice, who was
born in Jefferson County, daughter of William M. Rice, a
farmer near Shepherdstown. Mr. and Mrs. Luttrell had two
children, Edna Marie and Ernest Glenville. Mr. Luttrell
is affiliated with Equality Lodge No. 44, A. P. and A. M.,
with the thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Masons, is a
member of Washington Lodge No. 1, Knights of Pythias,
and the D. 0. K. K. branch of that order, and is a member
of the Loyal Order of Moose and the Patriotic Sons of
America.

Submitted by: Valerie Crook