Thomas D. Campbell

MINERAL COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA
******************************************************************
Submitted to the West Virginia Biographies Project by:
Valerie & Tommy Crook
vfcrook@trellis.net
April 12, 2000
******************************************************************

The History of West Virginia, Old and New
Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc.,
Chicago and New York, Volume III,
pg. 398-399

THOMAS D. CAMPBELL, of Piedmont, Mineral County, is
prominently identified with the coal industry in this sec-
tion of the state, as president of Hoff Brothers Coal Com-
pany and the Freeport Coal Company.

The birthplace of Mr. Campbell is not far distant from
the vigorous little industrial city in which he now maintains
his home and business headquarters. He was born at Bar-
ton, Allegany County, Maryland, lying on the opposite side
of the Potomac River from Mineral County, West Virginia,
in September, 1877, and there he was reared to adult age,
his educational advantages having been those of the pub-
lic schools. His father, James Campbell, was born in Glas-
gow, Scotland, in July, 1842, and was a child when the
family came to the United States and established residence
at Vale Summit, Maryland, whence removal was later made
to Bloomington, that state, where he was reared to man-
hood. For many years he was engaged in the mercantile
business at Barton, Maryland, and after his retirement from
this enterprise he served several years as assistant appraiser
and later as assistant surveyor of the port of Baltimore.
He has been influential in politics and general civic affairs
in Maryland, where he still maintains his home. He served
three years as a soldier of the Union in the Civil war, and
in later years has maintained affiliation with the Grand
Army of the Republic. As a republican he has represented
Allegany County five terms in the Maryland Legislature,
including the session of 1920, in which he was chairman of
the delegation from his county. In the session of 1922 he
was clerk of the minority party in the House of Representa-
tives. Though he is nearing the age of four score years,
he is still vigorous and vitally interested in public affairs.
He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and the Knights of Pythias. As a young man James Camp-
bell married Miss Emily Fromhart, who was born in one
of the Rhine districts of Germany, and who waa reared
near Newburg, West Virginia, where her parents established
their home upon coming to the United States. Of the chil-
dren of Mr. and Mrs. James Campbell the following brief
data are available: Katie, the wife of John Patton, died
at Barton, Maryland, a short time ago; Joseph and John
are twins, the former being a resident of Akron, Ohio and
the latter of Washington, D. C.; James lives at Frostburg,
Maryland; Dr. William B. is a physician and surgeon at
Haserstown. that state; Thomas Dowery is the immediate
subject of this sketch; George D. is a druggist at Lona-
coning, Maryland; and Emma is the wife of John F. Shaw,
of Newark, Delaware.

At the age of eighteen years Thomas D. Campbell became
associated with mercantile business in his native place, and
he continued his active association with the enterprise until
1917. There also he organized, in that year, the Barton
Supply Company, which there conducts a large general
merchandise business, in which he is still interested. At
Piedmont, West Virginia, Mr. Campbell is the owner of two
well equipped meat markets.

In 1915 Mr. Campbell became associated with Hoff
Brothers in coal-mining enterprise, and he is now president
of the Hoff Brothers Coal Company, the mines of which, at
Barton. Maryland, and Cutlips. West Virginia, have given
a yield of 125,000 tons in a single year. In 1916 Mr. Camp-
bell became a principal also in the Hampshire Big Vein
Coal Company, whose mine, at Barton, gives a normal out
put of 400 tons a day. He organized the Freeport Coal
Company, which is operating on a vein of Kittanning
coal near Oakland, Maryland, with a normal output of 450
tons daily, he being president of this corporation. The
property of this company was developed in the midst of
the forest, the company constructing a standard-gauge
railroad of one and one-half miles, besides having estab-
lished a water system, erected a school house and a church
and also forty houses for the use of employes in the mines.
The Campbell Coal Company, a partnership organization,
was established about 1917, and conducts a substantial
brokerage business in the buying and selling of coal, with
offices at Piedmont, West Virginia, and Philadelphia, Penn-
sylvania. Mr. Campbell is a director of the First National
Bank of Barton, Maryland, and of the Liberty Trust Com-
pany at Cumberland, that state. He has been a resident
and vitally progressive and public-spirited citizen of Pied-
mont since 1919, his political allegiance being given to the
republican party. He is affiliated with the Masonic frater-
nity and the Knights of Pythias, and he and his wife hold
membership in the Presbyterian Church. In the World war
period he was active in the furtherance of the various pa-
triotic causes, including the sale of the Government war
bonds, and he was registered for military service, but not
called.

At Barton, Maryland, on the 1st of September, 1909,
Mr. Campbell wedded Miss Nannie T. McDonald, who was
there born and reared, a daughter of William McDonald
and a representative of the staunchest of Scottish ancestry.
The Campbell residence at Piedmont is one of the finest in
the city, and he is the owner also of the Campbell Build-
ing, in which his business offices are established.