Category Archives: Biographies

Henry A. Wiley

Admiral Henry A Wiley
Admiral Henry A Wiley

Admiral Henry Ariosto Wiley (31 January 1867 – 20 May 1943) was an officer in the United States Navy during the Spanish–American War, World War I and World War II.

Biography

Born in Pike County, Alabama, Wiley graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1888. He served on the Maple during the Spanish–American War and attained his first command, Villalobos, in 1904. During the First World War Wiley commanded battleship USS Wyoming (BB-32) attached to the 6th Battle Squadron of the British Grand Fleet and received the Distinguished Service Medal for his “outstanding performance.”

After various shore and fleet commands, he was appointed Admiral in 1927 and served as Commander-in-chief, United States Fleet, until his retirement in 1929 after over 40 years of service. Admiral Wiley served in the years that followed as Chairman of the Maritime Commission and in other important government posts until being recalled to active duty in 1941. In the next year he headed the Navy Board of Production Awards.

Admiral Wiley retired once more 2 January 1943 and died 20 May 1943 at Palm Beach, Florida.

Namesake

USS Henry A. Wiley was named for him.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

Robert Wylie (1830) Washington County, Pennsylvania

Robert Wylie

ROBERT WYLIE (or better known as “Bob Wylie, the wool buyer”), the subject of this sketch, is of Scotch-Irish descent. His ancestors were known as leaders in the reformation of the Church of Scotland, and several of them were banished from Scotland and Ireland for their adherence to the principles of the new Church. His grandfather, Robert Wylie, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1743, and came to America with several of his half-brothers about 1761. They first stopped in the east, and further west, at Thompsontown, on the Juniata river, he married, about the close of war of the Revolution, Jane Thompson, daughter of John Thompson, and sister to Col. William Thompson and Capt. Isaac Thompson, of the Revolutionary army.

About 1780, with his wife, he came west to Washington county, and took up a tract of 600 acres of land (the main body of which is now owned and occupied by the four sons of the late David McClay, of Canton township), and on this land he built a log house in which he lived for some years, or until about 1800, when he put up the stone house which still stands, and is the present dwelling of Samuel McClay. Through this farm was the main Indian trail from the west to the dwelling of the great Chief Catfish, whose cabin stood on the bank of Catfish creek, at the foot of what is now Main street in Washington. (A chief watering place was a spring on this farm, where the wandering Indian always stopped to quench his thirst). He built a trade mill and distillery, thus opening a market for the grain raised in the neighborhood; he was also largely interested in salting pork for many years; later he started a wagon train, hauling products east, principally to Baltimore. He was a member of the Associate Reformed Church, and for many years an elder in the church at North Buffalo. In the burying ground around this old church his and his wife’s remains lie at rest. Their family consisted of three sons Robert, William and John and five daughters Ann (Brownlee), Jane (Humphreys), Sarah (Hodgens), Elizabeth (Moore) and Mary (Crothers). Many of the descendants of his daughters reside in Washington county and eastern Ohio. John Wylie married and settled in Ohio, where he became a successful stock dealer and farmer; William and Robert remained at home until 1834, when William sold his interest in the home farm to Robert; later, Robert sold the farm to David McClay and Bros., and soon followed his old partner in business, John Garrett (they having been associated together for several years in a store at West Middletown), to Baltimore, Md., where he acquired a considerable fortune. He died in 1872, unmarried.

William Wylie, father of Robert Wylie, Jr., was born on the old Wylie farm, September 25, 1800, and received a good education, having attended Washington College several terms. In 1829 he was married to Mary, daughter of James Clark, of Hopewell township, and after marriage he remained on the home farm four years, having in the meantime built a frame residence a short distance from the old stone house. In 1834, three years after the death of his father, he moved to the Razor Town farm of 210 acres, which he had purchased a year or two before. Razor Town, from which the farm took its name, was a village of twenty-six houses and cabins, with one good- sized tavern having a dozen rooms, and a blacksmith shop, race-course, etc. This point was known as a horse-trading post, and from the fact that many sharp deals were made there the place took the name of “Razor Town.” William, thinking that creditable neighbors could not dwell in such houses, immediately set about to remove them, and in a few years the little town passed out of existence. On the spot where the old tavern stood he put up a set of weigh scales, which continued in use until 1878; he built the present farm house, and occupied it until his death in 1877. His occupation was that of a farmer, and for many years he killed and salted about 1,000 hogs annually at his home. He was also a stock dealer (buying stock in West Virginia and Ohio), driving it east to Philadelphia and New York, and strange to say he never made but one trip over the mountains with his stock, as he trusted them to employees until his son Robert was old enough to take charge of them, which he did at a very early age. In partnership with his brother- in-law, David Clark, he owned and kept a general store for fifteen years in what is now known as the “Howe building” on Main street, Washington, between Chestnut and Beau streets. He hoped to make a store keeper of his son Robert, but the latter strongly objected to being tied down so closely to business. He sold the store in about 1849. He also dealt in wool, and in 1845 he built the frame warehouse on West Chestnut street, which is now occupied by R. Wylie & Sons, in the same business. William Wylie was a member of church for fifty years, first at North Buffalo and then at Washington, and was one of the organizers of the U. P. Church at Washington, of which he was a member. In politics he was originally a Whig, afterward a Republican. He was never an aspirant for office, but nevertheless was recognized as one of the best posted men of his time in matters political, and always took an active part in the issues of the day. His hospitality was widely known, and his table never wanted for guests. His rifle shooting was the one thing upon which he prided himself, and stories of putting three out of five bullets in a cap box (about two inches in diameter) with his old squirrel rifle, at one hundred yards distance, off-hand, are familiar ones to his grandsons and nephews. The children of William and Mary (Clark) Wylie were Robert; Jane (Beall), wife of John Stricker Beall, banker of Wellsburg, W. Va.; Mrs. Annie E. Thompson, living in Washington, widow of Rev. Joseph R. Thompson, late of the Associate Reformed Church; and James Clark, who died at the age of twenty years.

ROBERT WYLIE, the subject proper of this narrative, was born August 25, 1830, on the old Wylie farm in Canton township, Washington Co., Penn. He attended the district schools, and later took an irregular course at Washington College. He was not a rugged boy, and could not stand close confinement at school, so he early took to the roads where he might breathe a more free air. At the age of thirteen years his father intrusted to his care a drove of cattle and sheep to be driven across the mountains and sold in Philadelphia, the money to be brought back by him in saddle-bags on horseback. He liked this business better than going to school or staying in the store, so he continued at same for some years, at first driving to Philadelphia and New York, later to Harrisburg. When the Pennsylvania Railroad was being finished to Pittsburgh, he early took advantage of this means of transport, being one of the first shippers on the road passing over the nine inclines through the Alleghany mountains. In 1861 he moved with his wife and family to a farm in Cumberland township, Greene Co., Penn., where they resided until 1865, when he purchased the Dr. Stevens farm in Canton township (340 acres), situated two miles west of Washington on the Taylorstown road, upon which he erected all the buildings which now stand upon it. He now resides there, surrounded by his children and grandchildren. With farming he combined the wool commission business, in which connection he is probably best known, his figure being a familiar one in his own and adjoining counties in fact, to the people within a radius of fifty miles of his home his is a well-known, welcome face. His two sons, William and James B., became associated with him in business some four years since, the firm name being Robert Wylie & Sons, and the amount of wool bought and handled by them runs well toward a million pounds annually, the bulk of it being bought by the senior member of the firm, who gives to this branch of the business the greater part of his time. He is now sixty-two years of age, but looks younger, and is yet in the prime of life. In his rides through the country he fears no kind of weather or roads, nor does the worst seem to affect his iron constitution.

On February 3, 1857, he married Elizabeth, daughter of James and Mary McCormick Beall, of Independence township. James Beall was a farmer and storekeeper in Wellsburg, W. Va., for some years, and before the time of railroads he rode to Philadelphia on horseback to purchase dry goods. His wife’s father, who was also a merchant, lost his life in one of his trips to New Orleans, whither he was traveling to buy sugar, having, while en route overland on horseback, been murdered in Kentucky, supposedly for the money on his person, having a considerable amount at the time. The Bealls were among the early settlers of Baltimore county, Md., and Mrs. Wylie’s grandfather and grandmother Beall both came from Baltimore; her grandfather was a soldier in the early war, and his wife was a sister of Gen. Stricker, who so ably defended Baltimore against the British in 1814. They came West about 178-, and purchased a farm on the edge of West Virginia, near Independence, Washington county, where they raised a large family, whose descendants are now widely scattered both east aud west, though many of them are in Washington county, W. Va., and eastern Ohio. A brief record of the children of Robert and Elizabeth (Beall) Wylie is as follows:

WILLIAM WYLIE, born November 10, 1859, in Canton township, Washington Co., Penn., up to the age of fourteen years attended the common schools of his district, and then went to Washington and Jefferson College, where he remained four years. Returning home he engaged in the wool business with his father, and at the age of nineteen entered the Iron City Business College at Pittsburgh, Penn., where he graduated. He then embarked in the wool and farm implement business with his father, which they carried on for three years, when his younger brother James B. entered the business with them. They then abandoned the farm implement branch of their business, and have since been engaged exclusively in the wool business, which they have greatly enlarged, having extended their operations over a half dozen of the adjoining counties. They do business under the firm name of R. Wylie & Sons, and they are among the heaviest wool dealers in western Pennsylvania, enjoying the confidence of the people far and wide, to which their proverbial fair dealing justly entitles them. On June 16, 1885, William Wylie was married to Mary W., daughter of Joseph C. Gist, of Brooke county, W. Va., and they have been blessed with two children: Lizzie B. born October 6, 1887, and Clara V. born November 21, 1891. After marriage Mr. Wylie settled on his farm in Canton township, two miles west of Washington, Penn., where he still lives. He is a member of the U. P. Church at Washington; and in politics is a Republican.

Mrs. William Wylie was born August 27, 1861, in Brooke county, W. Va. Her father, J. C. Gist, was born March 16, 1820, in the same county. He was a large farmer and was engaged in the breeding and sale of fine sheep all his life. He was a Republican, and served one term in the West Virginia Legislature; was in the Senate in 1861, at the time of the war, one term. He was also talked of for governor of his State at one time, but for some reason best known to himself he did not run, although his friends assured him he would win. He died November 22, 1892. On August 10,1848, J. C. Gist married Elizabeth Culver, of Jefferson, Penn., born February 12, 1826, at Jefferson, Greene Co., Penn., daughter of Thomas Culver, a farmer. Mrs. William Wylie has three brothers and one sister living: Samuel C. Gist, J. W. Gist, and J. C. Gist, Jr., all living in Brooke county, W. Va., aud Mrs. John C. Roseborough, of Brownwood, Tex. Mrs. Wylie’s great uncle, Christerphor Gist, was a member of Gen. George Washington’s staff in the Revolutionary war.

James Beall Wylie, second son of Robert and Elizabeth (Beall) Wylie, born September 24, 1862, married June 24, 1890, Helen Cornelia, daughter of William D. and Elizabeth (Williamson) Roseborough, of Sardis, Miss. William Roseborough was a cotton planter, as were his father and grandfather before him; they were formerly of South Carolina. Her grandfather lived in Chester, S. C., and was clerk of the courts for fifty-two years; his wife, Eleanor (Key), was a daughter of Martin and Nancy (Bibb) Key, of Albemarle county, Va.; her great-grandparents came from Ireland to South Carolina about the time of the Revolution, and their families were both of French Huguenot ancestry, who left France about the middle of the seventeenth century; her great- grandmother Roseborough’s maiden name was Gaston, and she was a daughter of William Gaston, of Cloughwate, Ireland, who was a grandson of the Duke of Orleans (the leader of the Huguenots, banished from France in 1642, some history says 1652), brother of Louis XIII and son of Henry IV, King of France and Navarre. J. B. and Helen R. Wylie have one child, a daughter, named Marion Marguerite Wylie, born May 14, 1891. Their home is in Canton township.

Laura Virginia, the only daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Beall) Wylie, was born October 7, 1867, and was married October 1, 1890, to Joseph C. Gist. Jr., son of Hon. J. C. Gist, of Brooke county, W. Va., where they now reside. They have one child, a son, born June 11, 1892, named for his grandfather, Robert Wylie.

Source:

  • Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).

Biographies of Noble County, Ohio – 1887

Biographies of Noble County, Ohio – 1887

 

John Wiley settled on the present Shafer farm, west of Caldwell, in 1810. He was born on the Susquehanna River, near Harrisburg, Pa.; came to Ohio in 1795, and located at Cedar Narrows, above Marietta, where he remained until he came to Duck Creek. His father, William Wiley, was a pioneer settler whre Sharon Village now is, and died in 1816. John Wiley married in Washington County, Charity Severs, a native of Massachusetts. They both died on the homestead farm, near Caldwell, Mr. Wiley at the age of ninety-two and his wife at the age of seventy-three. Their children were William, John, Abraham, David, Thomas, Jacob, James, Hamilton, Polly, Ann (Marshall), Betsey (Gray), Margaret (Moreland), and Charity A. (Woodford). Mrs. Woodford is the only one now living. All lived to have families except John and Polly. David, Thomas, James and Ann died in this county. The others lived here many years and then went west and south.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Olive

—————————————————————————————

Thomas Wiley was born in Washington County in 1809, and came with his parents to this county. After attaining his majority he entered 160 acres of land where Archibald Wiley now lives. There he remained until 1861, when he removed to the old homestead of his father, where he died in 1869. He married Maria Scott, a native of Pennsylvania, who was born near Hagerstown, Md. She died in 1878. They had eight children – Emeline, Delilah, Archibald, Eliza J. (deceased), Margaret (deceased), James, Dunlap and Mary E. Those living are all residents of Noble County. Archibald Wiley served in Company I, Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, from June 26, 1861, to August 26, 1864. James enlisted in the Fourth Battalion, six months’ cavalry, August 1, 1863, and was mustered out with the company. Dunlap was in the hundred day’s service.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Olive

——————————————————————————–

James W. Wiley, born in 1841, has spent most of his life in this county. He is now a guard in the Ohio penitentiary at Columbus, and has held the position since June 1, 1886. He married Rachel A. Matheny in 1868. They have five children living, one deceased.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Olive

——————————————————————————–

Archibald Wiley lives on the land entered by his father, and is a prominent farmer. He was born in Olive Township,
September 14, 1835. He was reared a farmer and has followed that occupation chiefly. He received a fair common-school
education and, by natural aptitude and shrewdness has been successful in life, and has an enviable reputation in the
community. He takes a deep interest in politics and is a firm Republican. He went as a private in the first company raised
in Noble County – Company I, Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry – serving from June 26, 1861, to August 26, 1864. Among
other engagements he was in the battles at Allegheny Mountain, Slaughter Mountain, Va., Second Bull Run, and Gettysburg. In
the last named battle he received two slight wounds; his regiment was in the thickest of the fight, and at its close only
seventy-five men were left uninjured and uncaptured, a second lieutenant commanding. Mr. Wiley was captured, but being left
asleep among the wounded, escaped. After the battle he was employed in hospital service until the following Christmas, when
he rejoined the regiment at Folly Island, S.C. There, on the reorganization of the regiment, he was transferred to the
Seventy-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until mustered out. After his return, February 16, 1865, he was
married to Mary E. Brown, whose parents were early settlers of Noble County. Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have no children.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887 

Olive

——————————————————————————–

Frederick Yerian is a grandson of Frederick Yerian, an early settler, and was born in Jackson Township, Noble County, in 1837. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and in early times used to make guns from the “raw material,” drilling the barrels and making the lock and stock himself. Frederick learned this trade. In 1847 he came to Sharon, and for the last fourteen years has carried on the drug business here. He enlisted September 21, 1864, in the Twenty-second Ohio Light Artillery and served until July 13, 1865. In 1869 he married Nancy E., daughter of Samuel Wiley, of Sharon Township; children – Lizzie E.J., William E., Mary W., Kate, Samuel F., Charles E., Cora L. and Susannah J. Kate married Samuel Wallace and died in 1884. The others are living. Mr. Yerian is a Democrat.

Frederick Yerian, Sr., was an early German settler. He was for some years engaged in operating a grist-mill and saw-mill. He injured his foot by stepping on a nail, the leg was amputated and he died from the effects of the operation. His son John was a gunsmith and learned his trade in Zanesville.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887 

Sharon

——————————————————————————–

Thomas W. Parrish was born in McConnellsville, Ohio, in 1843. His father, William Parrish, son of Edward Parrish, who settled in Sharon Township in 1819, was then serving as sheriff of Morgan County, which office he held from 1841 to 1845. T.W. Parrish has followed farming and the mercantile business. He enlisted February 12, 1862, in Company D, Sixty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and by re-enlistment served until the close of the war, and was discharged at Louisville, Ky., July 8, 1865. He was in the engagements at New Madred, Island No. 10, Iuka, Corinth, siege of Vicksburg, Resaea, Lookout Mountain, Atlanta, and other battles of Sherman’s march to the sea. He is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and of the Grand Army of the Republic and Odd Fellows. He was married in 1877 to Susannah B. Wiley, of Sharon; children: Helen M. and Henry S.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Sharon

——————————————————————————–

Samuel Long was a prominent early settler, a man of intelligence and an exemplary citizen. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1786, and was of Scotch descent. He came to Ohio with his parents, who settled in Belmont County about 1800. In 1810 he married Mary Wiley and soon afterward settled near the site of the town of Caldwell, where he remained a short time, then removed to the farm in Sharon Township on which he died in 1868. His first wife died in 1824. She bore six children (three sons and three daughers). In 1825 Mr. Long married Mary Olephant, of Morgan County; she also had six children (five sons and one daugher). She died in 1852, and in 1853 Mr. Long married Hannah Read, of Muskingum County, who survived him a short time.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Sharon

——————————————————————————–

Allen Woodford and wife (nee Woodruff) with a family of five children came from Connecticut to Marietta in 1817. Five children were afterwards born to them, and all are still living, viz: Andrew, Lydia A. (Wheeler), Aranda M., Helen (Colbig), Harry, Mary (Wiley), William, Hiram, and Elvira and Elmira (twins). The family came to Olive Township in 1818, where the parents died some years later. Aranda M. Woodford, a prominent farmer, lived at home until his marriage with Mercy Wheeler, by whom he had eleven children. His wife died in 1881, and he afterwards married Elizabeth McWilliams. One child has been born of this union. Mr. Woodford is a member of the Baptist church.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Olive

——————————————————————————–

George Willey was born in Pennsylvania, in 1804, and came with his parents to Noble County about 1817. He was a carpenter by trade, and several years after his immigration bought a mill near Belle Valley, which he operated until 1848, when he removed to Hoskinsville, and engaged in trade. He died in 1856. In 1828 he married Miss Nancy Westcott. They had seven children. Sylvester, one of the sons, was born in 1835. In 1864 he enlisted in the Twenty-Second Ohio Light Artillery and served until the close of the war. He and his wife, nee Ellen Moore, are members of the Protestant Episcopal church.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Noble

——————————————————————————–

George Ayers, a native of one of the southern states, was born about 1811. He came to Guernsey County with his parents, and there married Nancy Brannon, who bore seven children, six of whom are living. He died in 1883, and his wife in 1870. David Ayers, son of George, was born in Noble Township in 1844. In 1869 he married Miss Alwild Willey. Their children are Luella and Willie. Mr. Ayers served in the late war in the One Hundred and Sixty-first and One Hundred and Ninety-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He is a successful farmer, and a member of the Methodist Protestant church. He has served as justice of the peace.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Brookfield

——————————————————————————–

William Cain and family came from Pennsylvania to Ohio at an early date. They reared nine children, two of whom are living in Noble County – one in Sharon Township and one in Olive. Nathaniel Cain was born in Morgan County in 1826. At the age of seventeen he began learning the cabinet-maker’s trade with James Hellyer, and followed that business for twenty-five years. He has since been engaged in farming. In 1846 he enlisted in the Mexican war, but was discharged two weeks after his enlistment. In 1847 he married Rebecca Willey. Of their seven children six are living – William H., Valentine H., Sarah J., Catharine (Ward), Mary A. and Elizabeth C. (Heddleston). Mr. Cain has served as township trustee and in other local offices.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Olive

——————————————————————————–

No name is more conspicuous in the annals of Noble County than that of McKee. The family were not only among the first in the county in point of settlement, but were also pioneers in almost every important public enterprise ever undertaken in the county.

The McKees were of Irish descent, and came to Ohio in the latter part of the last century, from Lycoming County, Pa. The family consisted of David McKee, his wife and several children. They remained a number of years in Washington County, in the vicinity of Marietta, and in 1809 came up the West Fork of Duck Creek, settling on the farm near Caldwell, now owned by Alexander McKee. They were among the very earliest families in the valley, and for several years had but few neighbors and no trading point nearer than Marietta. The father died in 1815, and the widow and her children were left to get along as best they could in the arduous labor of pioneer farming. Mrs. McKee died in 1848. There were nine children in the family, most of whom were born in Pennsylvania. Their names were John, Robert, William, David, James, Alexander, Annie (Caldwell), Margaret (Caldwell) and Ezra.

John was a farmer, a prominent citizen, and passed his life in Noble County. He died in 1873, at the age of eighty-five. Robert was the pioneer salt-maker at Olive, and was a leading business man in this section for many years. He was born in Lycoming County, Pa., December 8, 1791, and came with the family to Duck Creek in 1809. He stamped his name on all the prominent events in the early history of what is now Noble County. He was the discoverer and pioneer salt-maker of the valley, a busines which he continued until the competition of the various salt works on the Muskingam reduced the price to fifty cents per barrel. While drilling some of the first wells, he was obliged to to to Marietta to get his tools repaired. After the salt business became unremunerative he built a log structure in Olive, where for many years he did a successful business as a merchant; his was the first store within the present limits of Noble County, his nearest competitor being at Barnesville. His first stock of goods was packed in on horse from Baltimore over the mountains. He was also the first to handle tobacco, in which he engaged quite extensively for many years. He was a man of deep religious convictions, and built the first church in the county; in this enterprise he evidenced his accustomed liberality. After deciding to build a church, he deputized a man by the name of Peter Lady to solicit subscriptions. After several weeks, Lady reprted $45 as the sum collected. McKee, disappointed by the lack of interest in the matter, said to him that if he would return the money he would build the church himself, which he did. The date of erection, as near as can now be ascertained, was 1828. About 1855 he began to the feel the weight of advancing years and retured from active business, and devoted his attention to his farm, and loaning the accumulations of former years. He died of Bright’s disease September, 1863. He was married in 1813 to Miss Ruth Thorla. She died in 1830, and in November of the same year he was again married to Elizabeth Willey., who died in 1887. By the first marriage there were six children: Mary A., Margaret (Morse), Susannah (Ogle), David, Rhoda (Rownd) and Martha (Ogle). By the second, seven: Columbus, Leonard, William, Robert, Ruth E. (Caldwell), Jasper and Worthington. Robert McKee was a man of great foresight, enterprise and industry, and his name, where known, was a synonym for integrity and honor. No man was more prominent in the early history of Noble than he, and no one is held in more grateful remembrance by the people.

William removed to New York State when a young man, and spent the greater part of his life there. He died in Indiana. David was engaged as a boatman on the Mississippi River and died of cholera at Little Rock, Ark., when a young man. James was a farmer and resided near Hoskinsville. He died at the age of eighty-seven. Alexander is still living on the old homestead. He was born in Marietta in 1798. He married Rhoda Thorla and reared a family of six sons. Annie became the wife of Joseph Caldwell and is still living.

Hon. Ezra McKee was one of the best and most influential citizens of Noble County, the establishment of which he was among the foremost in securing. He was born in Washington County in 1802, and came to the county with his parents. His educational advantages were limited to four month’s schooling, but a good mind, sound judgement and keenness of observation made up for this deficiency. In 1825 he married Abbie Westcott and purchased the farm adjoining the old homestead. His children by this union were Delia (Davis), Martha (Polling), David and Sylvester, all living. His wife died in 1836 and he married Almay Westcott, a cousin of his first wife. She was one of the early school-teachers of the county. To them were born four children – Manly, who died when one year old; Mary (Newton), deceased; Christopher and Manly. In 1837 Mr. McKee was elected to the legislature from Morgan County, in which his township was then included; and again in 1850 he was chosen to fill the same position. During the succeeding session of the legislature, the project of the erection of Noble County, which had been constantly agitated for five or six years preceding, was brought to a successful consummation. He was not only instrumental in securing the organization of the county, but he was also among the foremost of those who sought and finally succeeded in making Caldwell the county seat. He erected the first building in Caldwell, which was used as a temporary court house. He served about twenty years as justice of the peace. Both in public and private life he was regarded as an able, honest, honorable man. He died April 4, 1876. His widow resides with her son, Christopher.

David E. McKee is the oldest son of Hon. Ezra McKee. He was born in Noble Township, August 15, 1833. He is a quiet, unassuming man, and sustains an excellent reputation for probity and intelligence. Mr. McKee has contributed to the press some poetical effusions of more than ordinary merit. He was principally engaged in farming until 1862, when he went with his brother Christopher to the Pacific coast, where they remained for three years, engaged in mining and ranching, in which they were quite successful. In 1867 he married Margaret Powell, of Wisconsin, whose paternal great-grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier. Her great-grandmother on her father’s side lived to be one hundred and four years old. Mr. and Mrs. McKee have three children: Burton, Abbie and Lawrence. Mr. McKee is a Democrat. He had held the offices of township treasurer and land appraiser.

Christopher McKee, one of the leading farmers and most prominent citizens of the county, was born in Noble Township in 1840. He spent his boyhood on the farm, receiving a common-school education. In 1862 he wetn to Oregon in a party of twelve men, among whom was his brother David. This journey occupied about three months, Mr. McKee driving an ox-team. On the Pacific coast he engaged in mining for a time, and afterward went to Idaho. He remained at Centerville in that territory until June, 1863, engaged in packing supplies to the miners. He next went to the southern part of the territory, where David and he located a mine, which they worked until the fall of 1865. The mine proved a good one and yielded many thousand dollars’ worth of ore, but owing to the cost of living and of working it, they could save but a small part of their earnings. During one winter the snow was so deep that it was piled up six feet higher than their cabin. The brothers left for home in September, 1865, on horseback and reached here in November. On the way they were caught in a Rocky Mountain snow storm, and rode all day through the blinding snow, arriving at night at Fort Halleck. To feed their horses they paid seventy-five cents per pound for corn and twenty-five cents per pound for hay. At the sutler’s Mr. McKee bought a pound of crackers, a box of sardines, and a small bottle of bitters, for which he paid $15. In December, 1865, he married Miss Martha A. Scott. They have had four children – Louis W. (deceased), Irvel K., Cora B. and Mirley. Mr. McKee has followed farming, and has also been engaged in various other enterprises. He has furnished the C.&M. Railroad Company with over five million feet of lumber, and is still engaged in supplying timber to that road, and the B.Z.&C. In 1877 he again went west to the Black Hills; but after an examination of that region, concluded to settle down to farm life. Mr. McKee is a public-spirited citizen, an enterprising sagacious and successful man of business, and his worth is appreciated in the community.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Noble

——————————————————————————–

David Radcliff is an old settler, and a very worthy citizen. He was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1813. At the age of seventeen he came to America with two brothers, landing in Quebec. In 1830 he came to Olive Township, where he entered eighty acres, which is now part of the farm of Samuel Ackley. The place was then unimproved. Mr. Radcliff worked alone until 1837. He then married Jane Miller, of Noble Township. They had seven children, four of whom are living – William, who married Eliza Shriver (who is now deceased), Martha (Davis), Ann (Willey) and David H. Mr. Radcliff is a Universalist and a Mason.

History of Noble County, Ohio Published by L.H. Watkins & Co. of Chicago 1887

Olive

David Wiley circa 1768-1812

David Wiley
David Wiley circa 1768-1812

Oil on canvas, circa 1800
National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution
Washington, D.C.

David Wiley, a surveyor and Presbyterian minister, moved to Georgetown around 1800 to serve as principal of the Columbian Academy and teach natural philosophy, mathematics, geography, and Greek. Advertisements for the academy mention an “Electrical Machine”; this may be the instrument depicted in this portrait by Charles Peale Polk. Polk shared Wiley’s interest in science, for he was Charles Willson Peale’s nephew and had grown up in his household, where he absorbed Peale’s interest in natural history, and also learned to paint.

Polk’s rendering of the electrical machine is puzzling. It is not likely that he misunderstood its use or construction, yet it is unlike more standard machines of this type. The cushion, which generates a charge by turning against the glass, is on the bottom rather than the side of the cylinder. The metal spikes just visible at the top of the cylinder, which collect the charge (only positive in this machine), should also be on the side. Other inconsistencies in the machine, all parts of which sit on a wooden base atop the table, may indicate that it was an unusual one, perhaps designed by Wiley. He poses proudly beside it, holding a Leyden jar, which would have been used to store an electric charge for future use.

Submitted by Jan Wiley Holmes

Robert Wylie, 1839

WYLIE, Robert, artist, born in the Isle of Man in 1839; died in Brittany, France, 4 February, 1877. He was brought to the United States in childhood, and first studied art at the Pennsylvania academy. In 1863 he went to France, and in 1872 he received a second-class medal at the Paris salon. His professional career was in France, and his pictures deal mostly with the life of the Breton peasants.

His “Death of a Vendean Chief” (1876-‘7) is in the Metropolitan museum, New York.

Ragpicker and Pottery Seller by Robert Wylie
“Ragpicker and Pottery Seller”
Circa 1875
Watercolor
10 x 12-1/2 inches

J W Hathaway

Mon Valley Biographies

J W Hathaway of Carmichaels, Greene Co., Pennsylvania

From: Biographical History of Greene County by Samuel P Bates,

Nelson, Rishforth, and Co, Chicago, 1888, p 621

Surnames: Hathaway, Estel, Carson, Anderson, Wiley, McGinnis

J W Hathaway, deceased, who was a merchant in Carmicheals for many years, was born in Jefferson Township, this county, May 19, 1821, and was a son of Samuel Hathaway and Elizabeth Estel Hathaway.

His mother was born in New Jersey and his father in Pennsylvania, and they were of English an Dutch descent. when Mr Hathaway was only one year old his father died, and he was reared by his grandfather, Matthias Estel, who sent him to school and induced him to learn a trade. He chose the chair maker’s trade, served a regular apprenticeship, and worked at the business for a time in Newtown. There he began business as a clerk in a store at the age of sixteen. At nineteen years of age he went to Carmichaels as clerk. He was for many years junior member in the firm of Carson & Hathaway, merchants; afterwards buying his partner’s interest he became sole owner of the large merchandising establishment there. He was an energetic, careful and thrifty manager of business, always exercising the keenest tact in his venture and investments, yet conducting the same with a motive of honesty and fair dealing toward all, bearing the respect of everybody.

Years ago, when Carmichaels was the business center of Greene County, Mr Hathaway added to a continued large retail trade, did considerable business at wholesale. He also dealt quite extensively in stock and real estate, and at the time of his death was the owner of 550 acres of valuable land.

He was united in marriage January 1, 1846, with Miss Ary Anderson, daughter of William Anderson and Keziah Wiley Anderson, who were of Scotch Irish descent. Her father was a millwright, and she had two brothers in the War of 1812. To Mr and Mrs Hathaway a family of ten children were born, six of whom, together with Mrs Hathaway, survive the deceased.

The children are: Charles Hathaway; Samuel Hathaway; William Hathaway; Jacob Hathaway; Lawrence Hathaway; of Carmichaels; and Mrs Mary McGinnis of Lincoln, Illinois. Mr Hathaway was well known and was regarded as a man of great business ability, sound judgment and sterling integrity. He had been a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for over forty five years, and was a ruling elder in that church for thirty two years. He was without question a true Christian.

Andrew Wiley (1815)

Combination Atlas Map of Huntington County, Indiana; Kingman Brothers, 1879

JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP

ANDREW WILEY

Surnames: Wiley, Brierly, Wright, Fall

Andrew Wiley, son of William and Mary Wiley, was born in the State of Virginia, in the year 1815. He was reared to farm-life, and owing to the absence of educational facilities, was deprived of the opportunity of attending school during his childhood. His education was acquired, principally, in later life, by individual effort. He adopted, in mature years, the occupation in which he is engaged during childhood, and adding to this the trades of cooper and carpenter.

He was united in marriage with Miss Harriet Brierly, who bore him two sons – Caleb Warren and Sylvester B. But the sacred tie was subsequently severed by the decease of the wife and mother, and her gentle influence forever from earth.

In 1846, he came to Jefferson Township, Huntington Co., Ind., and in 1857, was united in marriage with Jane Wright of Darke County, Ohio. She is the daughter of Thomas and Matilda Fall Wright. This second union was blessed by six children, named, respectively, Lotitia, Norman, William, Charles, Sarah E. and Sadie.

The father died January 11, 1873. During his life, he was an enterprising farmer, and his labors were crowned with financial success.

He was universally respected by his neighbors and acquaintances, and was often solicited to accept the nomination of his party for political offices, but only yielded once to their request. In 1862, he was the candidate of the Democratic party for the office of County Commissioner, to which office he was elected, and during his term of service in that capacity, he was instrumental in bringing about many projects which resulted in the general good of the county. He was a cordial supporter of the Bluffton, Warren & Frankfort Narrow-Gauge Railroad, and contributed liberally toward the success of that enterprise. He was also permanently connected with the Huntington & Warren Gravel-road.

He was a supporter of the Calvinistic doctrine, and throughout his life, was a devout Christian. He had but few enemies, if any and his death was lamented throughout the community.

Officers in the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution

Officers in the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution

Source Information: American Biographical Library.
Salt Lake City, UT: Ancestry Incorporated, 1996.

Wiley, Aldrich (Mass). Corporal and Sergeant of Sergeant’s Massachusetts Regiment, May to December, 1775; Ensign 16th Continental Infantry, 1st January to 31st December, 1776; 1st Lieutenant 8th Massachusetts, 1st January, 1777; killed at Stillwater, 7th October, 1777. [p.592] Wiley, Aquilla (Pa). Captain York County, Pa., Militia in 1777.

Wiley, John (Mass). Captain of Gridley’s Regiment Massachusetts Artillery, May, 1775; superseded 25th June, 1775; Captain 16th Continental Infantry, 1st January to 31st December, 1776; Captain 8th Massachusetts, 1st January, 1777; Major 14th Massachusetts, 15th December, 1779; retired 1st January, 1781. (Died 1805.)

Wiley, John (N. Y.). Captain 1st New York, 24th February to ? November,1776.

Wiley, John (Pa). 1st Lieutenant Pennsylvania State Regiment, 18th April, 1777; regiment designated 13th Pennsylvania, 12th November, 1777; resigned 25th January, 1778.

Wiley, Robert (Mass). Ensign 8th Massachusetts, 1st January, 1777; wounded at Bemus’ Heights, 19th September, 1777; resigned 14th August, 1778.

Wiley, Robert (Pa). Captain of Flower’s Artillery Artificer Regiment,1779, and served to close of war.

Willey, John (Conn). Captain in Lexington Alarm, April, 1775; Captain Lieutenant 2d Connecticut, 1st May to 17th December, 1775; Captain of Wadsworth’s Connecticut State Regiment, June to December, 1776.

Wyley, Aldrich. See Wiley.

Wylie, Thomas (Pa). Captain Lieutenant of Flower’s Artillery Artificer Regiment, 17th February, 1777; Captain, 1st February, 1778, and served to close of war.

Wylley, Thomas (Ga). Was an Ensign 2d Georgia in May, 1778; Captain and Deputy Quartermaster General of Georgia troops, 1779–1781.

Wyllys, Hezekiah (Conn). Captain of Chester’s Connecticut State Regiment,20th June to 25th December, 1776; served subsequently as Lieutenant-Colonel Connecticut Militia. (Died 29th March, 1827.)

Wyllys, John Plasgrave (Conn). Adjutant of Wolcott’s Connecticut State Regiment, January, 1776; Brigade-Major to General Wadsworth, 7th August, 1776; taken prisoner 15th September, 1776, on the retreat from New York; exchanged 20th December, 1776; Captain of Webb’s Additional Continental Regiment, 1st January, 1777; Major, 10th October, 1778; transferred to 3d Connecticut, 1st January, 1781; transferred to 1st Connecticut, 1st January, 1783; retained in Swift’s Connecticut Regiment, June, 1783, and served to 25th December, 1783; Major United States Infantry Regiment, 9th June, 1785; Major 1st Infantry United States Army, 29th September, 1789; killed 22d October, 1790, in action with Indians on the Miami, Ohio.

Wyllys, Samuel (Conn). Lieutenant-Colonel 2d Connecticut, 1st May, 1775; Colonel, 1st July to 10th December, 1775; Colonel 22d Continental Infantry, 1st January to 31st December, 1776; Colonel 3d Connecticut, 1st January,1777; retired 1st January, 1781. (Died 9th June, 1823.)

Source Information:

American Biographical Library.
Salt Lake City, UT: Ancestry Incorporated, 1996.

Dr. J. A. Wylie (1808) Obituary

Dr. J. A. Wylie.
(Died May 1, 1890.)
by Rev. C. A. Salmond, M.A., Edinburgh.
The Free Church Monthly, August 1, 1890.

Reprinted with the permission of WhatSaithTheScripture.com

In the lamented removal of Dr. Wylie, the leading representative of a Church and also of a cause has been taken from us. Surviving as he did the younger M’Crie, he was the most notable living representative, for years past, of the majority of the Original Secession body, who joined the Free Church in 1852. And, as everybody knows, he has long been the leading Protestant authority, not in Scotland only, but in English-speaking Christendom, on all questions relating to the Romish controversy.

Born at Kirriemuir on 9th August 1808, he had nearly completed his eighty-second year when he died, on 1st May of the present year; but such was his vitality even as an octogenarian, that at the time of his death he had in contemplation an amount of literary work, the thought of which would have burdened many a younger man. He hoped, for one thing, to finish his “History of the Scottish Nation,” by adding other three volumes to the third lately issued; and he had expressed his willingness, when Mr. Cusin died, to undertake if called upon– a task happily committed since to his friend Mr. M’Crie of Ayr– the preparation of the next series of the Cunningham Lectures.

His name– James Aitken Wylie– is itself suggestive, to those familiar with Scottish Secession history of the surroundings and influences among which as a boy he was reared. James Aitken, his minister and name-father, was one of the most godly and in every way estimable leaders of the “Old Light Anti-burghers,” and Dr. Wylie felt and owned to the last how much he owed to his nurture in that school of robust primitive piety. It may interest modern readers about “Thrums” to find the old man writing thus, not long ago:–

“My heart often goes back to Kirriemuir. Its Communion Sabbaths, though now eighty years behind me, are still green and fragrant in my memory. I bless God that I was born in the Original Secession Church. I know see that it was an essential preparation for doing the work to which I have been called; and if I have done any good in the world, the ordering of my birth has been one of the main subordinate causes. The ‘History of Protestantism’ has its roots in the feelings, the kindlings, and the aspirations of my boyhood, and in the sympathy for the oppressed and downtrodden which was wrought in me by the derision and persecution which Mr. Anderson [author of ‘The Ladies of the Covenant’] and myself daily endured from a set of reprobate school-fellows, who termed us ‘Aitkenites.'”

His education was begun in the parish school of his native place. Then he passed to Marischal College, Aberdeen, for three years, completing his Arts course by a session at St. Andrews, under Dr. Thomas Chalmers. In 1827 he entered the O. S. Divinity Hall in Edinburgh, and there came under the influence of a man who impressed him even more than Chalmers had done– Dr. Thomas M’Crie, the biographer of Knox. He was admitted to intimate fellowship by M’Crie, and he carried the memory of his friend and teacher with him as a life-long inspiration.

In 1828, James Aitken Wylie was one of eleven divinity students who, with twenty-one ministers and seven probationers of the Original Secession Synod, “renewed the Covenants” in Edinburgh; and in him the last survivor of this little band of jurants has passed away. Referring to the abiding influence on Dr. Wylie’s mind and character of this early environment, Principal Rainy has fitly said: “His religious life was nourished in some of the richest lines of the Scottish pious tradition; and from that circle and centre of influence he had derived impresssions which gave a special character– and an attractive one– to his modes of view and feeling. He always retained a full sympathy with the characteristic tendencies of the Old Secession in matters religious and ecclesiastical; yet with a certain largeness of construction, and with a literary instinct, which enabled him in various respects to keep pace with his time, and to perceive the new form in which old forces must work.”

His license took place on 1st December 1829, and he was ordained at Dollar on 20th April 1831. His pastoral sphere there was a very limited one, but its duties were faithfully and cheerfully discharged for the next fifteen years, during which period, however, his pen had found for him a much wider constituency. To the time of the Dollar ministry belong his “Modern Judea,” “Scenes from the Bible,” and other works, which were most favourably received, and ran into numerous additions.

In 1846, Mr. Wylie had an important offer from Hugh Miller, which, by the advice of the younger M’Crie and with the eager approval of Dr. Candlish, he felt it his duty to accept– the joint-editorship, namely, of The Witness. This involved his transference to Edinburgh, on whose streets, for the succeeding forty-four years of incessant literary activity, he has been one of the most familiar figures. His association with Hugh Miller on The Witness was a very happy one; and some eight hundred of the leading articles in that almost epoch-making journal were from Mr. Wylie’s hand.

His exuberant energy found outlet the while in the publication of several separate volumes, the most notable of which appeared in 1851, and was entitled “The Papacy: its History, Dogmas, Genius, and Prospects.” This treatise gained for him, by the unanimous award of Drs. Wardlaw, Cunningham, and Eadie, the Evangelical Alliance prize of a hundred guineas. It also won for him a European reputation,– to which the savage attacks of Romish critics, at home and on the Continent, brought added lustre,– and it helped to give direction to his future life.

In 1852, as already mentioned, Mr. Wylie joined the Free Church of Scotland; and in the following year he became editor of the Free Church Record– a post which he held for the next eight years. The degree of LL.D. was conferred upon him by Aberdeen University in 1856. Of his separate literary ventures at this time, one was a competitive essay on “The Gospel Ministry: the Duty and Privilege of Supporting It.” He secured by it the prize of £150; and in this connection Dr. Joseph Parker, who obtained proximos honores, writes: “On procuring Dr. Wylie’s essay and reading it, I said, ‘This should have won both the prizes: it is infinitely the best.'” The “Pilgrimage from the Alps to the Tiber,” “The Waldenses,” and “The Great Exodus,” also found many readers.

In 1860, mainly through the instrumentality of Dr. Begg, the Protestant Institute was established; and Dr. Wylie, by acclamation, was invited to be the lecturer. The appointment in his case was for life; and though the subject of Popery is not in itself attractive, it is true– and it is much to say– that for thirty successive years Dr. Wylie’s treatment of it has continued to be a living influence in our land. In him the Churches had no mere holder of an office, but a man with a mission, who, while centering his energies on the functions of his chair, was ready to devote his life in every possible way to the exposure of Papal errors and the clear and fervid counter exposition of the principles of the Reformation. If the members of even his first class felt that they were sitting at the feet of one who was a past-master in his subject, the successive relays of students who, to the number of about two thousand, went through his classes, had equal reason to know that in their teacher they had one not only familiar with Popish theory, but keenly awake to Popish practice in all its contemporary developments.

Besides holding his classes, Dr. Wylie addressed countless meetings in his time throughout the country. His “delivery,” it must be said, contrasted unfavourably with the grace of his written style; but he rose on occasions to a genuine eloquence which fairly carried his audience along with him. This was notably the case once and again in Exeter Hall, where his appearance was latterly hailed with the utmost enthusiasm; and in many parts of England the announcement of Dr. Wylie’s name would draw a large audience together at any time. This was partly to be accounted for by the greater urgency of the Romish question in England. It was partly, no doubt, also due to the great circulation of his writings in the sister country, where his magnum opus, for example– “The History of Protestantism,” 3 vols., 2,000 pp., 1874-77– has sold in scores of thousands.

Dr. Wylie was not one to whom any large share of outward honours fell; nor did he covet them. But that he held a high place in the esteem and a warm place in the affections of many, came unmistakably out at the time of his jubilee in 1881. The meeting, presided over by Sir Henry Moncreiff, at which his portrait, now hanging in the Institute, was presented, was of the most genuinely appreciative character; and the £300 gift, handed to him by Dr. Whyte and the writer about the same time one day in his study, came in so freely from the few friends applied to throughout the country as to indicate that a much larger sum might readily have been gathered had a wider movement been set afoot. The intention of the gift, however, was completely realized; for in the following spring, at the age of seventy-four, the doctor accomplished his tour in Egypt and Palestine, of which he has given a graphic account in his “Land of the Pharaohs,” and his “Over the Holy Land.”

We cannot enter further here into the details of his busy life. It was a life of great simplicity both in purpose and in habit. Spent mostly at the desk, or rather at the desk and mantlepiece on which a great part of his writing was done, it was varied by two regular daily “constitutionals,” at daybreak and in the afternoon, when he was at home, and by an occasional excursion to one or other of the historic lands of Europe, in the intervals of his class work. The day was ordinarily crowned by an hour or two of cheerful converse by the hearth. Those favoured with his intimate friendship will bear the writer out in saying, as he has already done elsewhere, that to be with Dr. Wylie at such times, and to listen to his rich and sparkling conversation, on whatever subject might come up, meant both education and enjoyment.

Men spoke of him sometimes as a “fanatic;” but if his utterances on the Papacy were strong, his detestation of the system was equalled by his tenderness for its unhappy votaries. To virile strength he united a woman’s sensibility. It was a profound mistake to fancy in him an acrid, self-assertive, one-idead controversialist. He was one of the best informed, most genial, and sympatric of men, and his deep unaffected humility was one of his greatest charms. You could not be long with him without perceiving in him a lover of Christ and of all good men, and his mellow unostentatious piety gave an unmistakable savour to all his life.

And now he has gone to be with Christ, for whom he lived and in whom he died. His end was as simple as his life had been. Influenza seized him at the close of his last session, when, through [extensive] work of various kinds, his system was [unusually weak]. For three or four weeks he was confined to bed. Though nothing serious was apprehended, [he was] greatly cheered, as were his two attached [disciples] by the occasional visits of his minister and [fellow] townsmen Dr. Whyte, in whose congregation he had long been an elder, and whose weekly pulpit ministrations had been to him a fountain of [life]. He said to me on the Sabbath evening before he died, “I have often been a very unworthy [worship]per, but I can truly say, ‘Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, the place where thine honour dwelleth.'” It was not till the day before [the end] came that it was a settled conviction with him [that] he was to die. But by that time he had relenquished all his literary plans, asking anything or [nothing to] be done with his papers, as might seem to be best. His mind was reverting to early Kirrie days, and anon going forward to the eternal world, on [which] he was so soon to enter. I said, “You are [relying] on Christ, doctor?” “Yes,” he replied; “[He is] Christ the Rock. If there’s a piece of adamant [any]where in the universe, it’s there– Christ the Rock.” Next morning I was again by his bedside. [Death] was now plainly written on his face. He spoke with difficulty some words of blessing, and as he [entered in] his breathless closing struggle with the last enemy, I could hear him say in the words of the old [psalm]

“Upon the Lord, who worthy is
Of praises, will I cry:
And then shall I preserved be
Safe from mine enemy.”

He remained conscious for a short [time after this], and could give a look of recognition [still], and a farewell pressure of the hand to those [close] to him. But he never spoke again; and [it will] ever be suggestive of a hallowed memory [and laud]able, after a lifelong friendship with him, to [quote] him in turn what he wrote to me of [the dear] M’Crie: “I watched by his bedside when [he was] dying, and I was the last to whom he [addressed] mortal speech.”

Dr. Wylie’s earthly remains were laid in the [New]ington cemetery, just a few yards from the [grave of] Dr. Begg. Principal Rainy made [impressive] reference to him in Free St. George’s on the [follow]ing Sabbath, in the absence of Dr. Whyte[.] [In] speaking cordially of Dr. Wylie’s work, his [literary] power, various knowledge, and “the [inexhaustible] fertillity of mind which age seemed [unable to] weaken or exhaust,” Dr. Rainy said, [and with] these words we close: “Besides his [service we recognized in him the antique atmosphere and [light] and shade of an older time. We feel the [passing] away of memories and associations we [would gladly] have retained among us– interesting, [edifying,] endeared. We are the poorer for the loss. [We see] the old order changing. We shall do well [to cleave] to the truth it lived by, and to reproduce [it with] the fidelity to truth and goodness, to Christ [and the] gospel, which inspired it.”