All posts by

Editor @ WileyGenealogy.com

Samuel Brown Wylie

SBWylie1773WYLIE, Samuel Brown, clergyman, son of Adam and Margaret (Brown) Wylie, born in Moylarg, County Antrim, Ireland, May 21, 1773; died in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 14 October, 1852. He was graduated at the University of Glasgow in 1797, and taught for a short time in Ballymena, Ireland, but was compelled to leave the country in consequence of his efforts in favor of Irish independence. He arrived in the United States in October, 1797. taught in Cheltenham, Pennsylvania, and in 1798 became a tutor in the University of Pennsylvania, subsequently establishing a private academy in Philadelphia, which he successfully conducted for many years. Soon after his arrival in this country he studied theology under the care of the Reformed Presbyterian church, and was licensed to preach in 1799.

He was a delegate to the convention of the Reformed Presbyterian church in Ireland and Scotland in 1802, and on his return was called to the pastorate of the 1st Reformed Presbyterian church of Philadelphia, which he held until his death, a period of fifty-one years. When the theological seminary of his church was organized in 1809, he became a professor there, and held office till 1851. In 1828-’45 he occupied the chair of languages in the University of Pennsylvania, of which he was vice-provost in 1838-’45. Dickinson gave him the degree of D. D. in 1816. Dr. Wylie was an eminent classical and Oriental scholar, a contributor to the American philosophical society, an assistant editor of the “Presbyterian ” in 1821-‘2, and the author of “The Faithful Ministry of Magistracy and Ministry upon a Scriptural Basis” (Philadelphia, 1804), and ” Life of Alexander McLeod” (1855). He also compiled a Greek grammar (1838). See memoirs of him by Reverend John D. McLeod (New York, 1852), and Reverend Gilbert McMaster (Philadelphia, 1852). He married Margaret,daughter of Andrew Watson of Pittsburg, originally from Scotland.

–His son, Theophilus Adam [Wylie], educator, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 8 October, 1810, was graduated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1830, and became an assistant in the academic department of that institution. In 1837 he accepted the chair of natural philosophy and chemistry in Indiana university, and in 1852 he became professor of mathematics in Miami University, but three years later he returned to his former post. He was transferred to the chair of ancient languages in 1864, and during 1859 was acting president of the university. In 1886 he withdrew from active work and was made professor emeritus. Professor Wylie was ordained as a clergyman in the Reformed Presbyterian church in 1838, and was pastor of that church in Bloomington, Indiana, in 1838-’52 and 1855-’69. He has in preparation a ” History of the University of Indiana,” with sketches of the faculty and graduates.

–Another son, Theodore William John [Wylie], clergyman, born in Philadelphia., 3 October, 1818, was graduated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1836, studied theology, was ordained to the ministry of the Reformed Presbyterian church, mid in 1838 became associate pastor with his father of the 1st church in Philadelphia. When the latter (died in 1852, the son succeeded him as pastor. He was corresponding secretary of the board of missions of his church in 1843-‘9, professor in the Reformed Presbyterian theological seminary in 1847-’51, 1854-‘7, and 1859-’69, and edited the “Missionary Advocate” in 1838-’41 and the “Banner of the Covenant” in 1845-’55. The University of New York gave him the degree of D. D. In 1859. Dr. Wylie is the author of an “English, Latin, and Greek Vocabulary” (Philadelphia, 1839); “The God of our Fathers” (1854); and “Washington as a Christian” (1862). Dr. Wylie died in Philadelphia, October 13, 1852.

Sources:

  • University of Pennsylvania Archives.
  • Wilson, James Grant & John Fiske, eds. Appletons’ Cyclopædia of American Biography, D. Appleton. NEW YORK 1888-1889.
  • WYLIE, THEOPHILUS A. Diaries of Theophilus A. Wylie, 1832-92. Transcribed by Elizabeth M. Greene. Bloomington, IN: Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, 1987.

Theophilus Adam Wylie

 

Theophilus Adam Wylie, October 8, 1810 - Unknown
Theophilus Adam Wylie, October 8, 1810 – Unknown

Theophilus Adam Wylie was born October 8, 1810, in Philadelphia, Pa. He was the son of Rev. Samuel Brown Wylie, D.D., and Margaret Watson Wylie. He received his early education at the English Academy of Rev. Dr. S.W. Crawford and commenced his classical education at the school of Wylie and JPEngles1793 Engles, Philadelphia….

In the same year [1836], after some correspondence with the Board of Trustees of Indiana College and its president, Dr. Andrew Wylie, he was offered a professorship in Indiana University, and at his own request was elected pro tem professor of natural philosophy and chemistry. In the spring of 1837 he left Philadelphia and after ten days journey reached the University in April and commenced work at the opening of the second term, May 1…..

Professor T.A. Wylie married Rebecca Dennis, of Germantown, now in the city of Philadelphia, Pa, November 5, 1838….

On the death of Andrew Wylie on November 11, 1851, Daniel Read and Theophilus Wylie carried on the duties of the president until a new president, Alfred Ryors, was appointed, June 3, 1852…..

Source: Excerpt from Myers, Burton D. Officers of Indiana University, 1820-1950. p.486.

Related Articles:

  • Samuel Brown Wylie
  • Andrew Wylie – Theophilus Wylie was a younger cousin of Andrew Wylie (same grandfather, different grandmothers).
    Source: WYLIE, THEOPHILUS A.  Diaries of Theophilus A. Wylie, 1832-92. Transcribed by Elizabeth M. Greene. Bloomington, IN: Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, 1987.

Related Link:
The Wylie House Museum

 

Andrew Wylie Family Letters

affectyoursWith assistance from an Indiana Heritage Research Grant, nearly 170 family letters from 1828 to 1859 have been transcribed, edited and compiled. These letters, an evocative and beautifully written testament to the life of the Wylie family, are available for public use.

The Andrew Wylie Family Letters is a 276-page collection of family correspondence offering an exceptionally touching and accessible portrait of life in antebellum America. Although Andrew Wylie is best known as the first president of Indiana University, a post he held from 1828 until his death in 1851, these letters are primarily concerned with the more personal and domestic matters of a family growing up and dispersing. Health-physical, mental, and spiritual-is a frequent theme, as are work, children, local news, and travel; travel includes descriptions of New York City, Philadelphia, China, Washington Territory, and Hawaii.

Affectionately Yours consists of 163 transcribed letters with readers aids including brief summaries of all the letters, Wylie genealogy, and a glossary of names. Copies are available in Bloomington at the Monroe County Public Library, Monroe County Historical Museum, Bloomington High School North library, Bloomington High School South library, and the Lilly Library, Main Library, Archives, and Wylie House Museum at Indiana University; in Indianapolis at the Indiana Historical Society and the Indiana State Library’s Indiana Division; in Richmond at the Wayne County Historical Association.

In addition, a twenty-two minute video interpretation of the letters can be borrowed from Wylie House Museum for one week at a time. Contact: Wylie House Museum, 812-855-6224.

Contact Wylie House Museum to order or read selections from “Affectionately Yours: The Andrew Wylie Family Letters”.

 



Affectionately Yours: The Andrew Wylie Family Letters, 1828 to 1859 (94-3004): Wylie House Museum , 317 E 2nd St, Bloomington, IN 47401-4799 and Indiana University, PO Box 1847, Bloomington, IN 47402-1847.

Related Articles:

Andrew Wylie (1789-1851)

Andrew Wylie, clergyman and educator, was born April 12, 1789 in Washington, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Adam Wylie, a native of County Antrim, in the north of Ireland, who emigrated to this country about the year 1776, and settled in Fayette County, PA.

Andrew Wylie, clergyman and educator,  1789-1851
Andrew Wylie, clergyman and educator, 1789-1851

He graduated from Jefferson College, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, in 1810, was tutor in the college for a year, studied theology, and was licensed to preach by the presbytery of Ohio on October 21, 1812. He was installed as pastor at Miller’s Run on June 23, 1813. He was president of Jefferson College in 1812-1816, and of Washington College in 1817-1828. He was elected president of Indiana College and removed to Bloomington, Indiana and took charge of the institution in 1829.

He changed his ecclesiastial relations in 1841, and was ordained deacon in the Protestant Episcopal Church in New Albany in December, 1841, by Bishop Kemper, and priest in Vincennes, Indiana, in May, 1842, by the same bishop. He received the degree of D. D. from Union college in 1825. Dr. Wylie published several sermons on special occasions (1816-’51); “English Grammar” (1822), “Eulogy on General Lafayette” (1834), “Sectarianism is Heresy, with its Nature, Evils, and Remedy” (3 parts, 1840). He contributed freely to reviews and magazines, and left at, his death ready for publication works on ” Rhetoric” and “Advice to the Young.”

His death took place November 11, 1851.

Sources:

Wilson, James Grant & John Fiske, eds. Appletons’ Cyclopædia of American Biography, D. Appleton. NEW YORK 1888-1889

Myers, Burton D. Officers of Indiana University, 1820-1950. p. 447.

James W. Wiley, Fayette County, PA

JAMES W WILEY, a good businessman, a successful coke operator of Fayette county, is a son of Sampson Wiley and Sarah Todd Wiley and was born in Sewickley township, Westmoreland county, Penna, October 17, 1845.

Sampson Wiley Sr, grandfather, was a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, where he owned a farm of forty five acres whose title made it his while “grass grew and water ran…” He emigrated to Westmoreland county in 1790 where he died in 1825 at fifty six years of age.

He married Miss Jane McGrew, a member of the old and well respected McGrew family of Westmoreland county.

Sampson Wiley, father, was born in Westmoreland county in 1805, died January 3, 1888, was a farmer until 1840 when he engaged in merchandising and continued successfully in the merchandising business till 1870 when he retired from active life. He was a democrat, was several times elected to local offices in a strong republican township, but always declined to accept them. He married Miss Jane Todd, daughter of Henry Todd, a native of Ireland, and a farmer of Westmoreland county early as 1812. they had ten children. One of their sons, Sampson M Wiley, enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Fifty fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, was in the battle of Gettysburg, and died soon afterward with typhoid fever. Mrs Wiley was born in 1809 and lives at Everson.

James W Wiley was reared in Westmoreland county, attended the common schools until twenty years of age when he engaged as bookkeeper of the Youghiogheny Coal Company and remained with them till 1873. Three years of this time he served as United States gauger at their distillery. From 1873 to 1877 he was engaged in general mercantile business in the firm of S Wiley & Son. In 1877 he became a member of the mercantile firm of Wiley & Sherrick and also engaged in the coke business.

In 1881 Mr Wiley withdrew from the mercantile firm, buying out Mr Sherrick’s interest in the coke works and forming a partnership with J R Staufer in the same business. The firm Staufer & Wiley are successfully engaged in the coke business.

In 1868 he was married to Miss Jennie Gallagher, daughter of William Gallagher of Latrobe, Penna. They have seven children: Sadie T Wiley; Carrie M Wiley; Margaret O Wiley; Minnie Wiley; Charles S Wiley; Sampson M Wiley and James W Wiley Jr.

James W Wiley is a democrat and has served continuously as a justice of the peace for ten years. He is a member of the Masonic Order, a stockholder in several banks, and is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a well known and intelligent citizen of Upper Tyrone and has been remarkably successful in all his business ventures.

Gresham and Wiley, 1889: Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia, Fayette Co, PA p404

Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Fayette County, Pennsylvania
editorially managed by John M. Gresham
assisted in the compilation by Samuel T. Wiley A Citizen of the County
Compiled and Published by John M. Gresham & Co.
407-425 Dearborn Street
Chicago, 1889
p404

Submitted May 23, 2003

Hans Wiley by James Ross Wiley

Hans Wiley snuck quietly over the side of the ship, an English Man of War, in the middle of the night, lowered himself into a small rowboat, and headed for the nearby shore, reckoning by the light of the moon and stars. The year was 1778, nearing the midpoint of the War of Independence in the American Colonies. He was a determined and angry young Ulsterman of eighteen years old, resolved to get free of the English once and for all.

Things were difficult back in County Down, if not as bad as the starvation and abject poverty his grandparents spoke of in the nineties. Ulster Scotch had it somewhat easier than his countrymen back in Ayr, but difficult all the same. He’d had it in his mind for a long time to emigrate as soon as he could, then the war broke out and there were very few passenger ships leaving for the colonies. Letters from cousins and uncles in the colonies painted a very different picture of life in America, urging him to make the break. In America there was land everywhere, and freedom, freedom for land without a patron or laird, and freedom from all the politics and privation.

Then came the day Hans was in town, looking for work as a weaver. The pressmen were in town looking for sailors – though he didn’t know at the time who they were or what they were up to – and he was grabbed, shackled, and hustled aboard the ship. The very next day the ship set sail and Hans was unshackled and herded up on deck with his fellow prisoners, given their orders and was a sailor. Or so they said.

They kept very quiet about it, and Hans and his few friends from Ulster made plans to escape the very first chance they got, once they got to America. He didn’t know how, but somehow he had to be to Pennsylvania, near Fort Pitt, where his clan had located. Hans and his fellow press-mates had greased the row boat’s pulley wheels, hoping for such an opportunity. When the man-of-war dropped anchor off Lewes, Delaware they prepared as best they could to escape.

The ship swayed gently on the waves inside the harbor at Cape Henlopen, and lights flickered faintly on shore, less than a mile away. The officer on watch on deck slept at his post. Together the four men quietly lowered the small dinghy to the water and lowered themselves over the side. Each man took an oar and wrapped his shirt around it to muffle its dipping into the water. They’d had little time or opportunity to plan more than this, just to escape. Once out of earshot of the ship they took their shirts off the oars and rowed as hard and as fast as they could for shore, heading upland of the camp of British soldiers and sailors on shore.

On shore, the men dragged the dinghy up onto the broad sandy beach and into the bracken above it, hiding it from discovery for as long as they could, until they could get farther away. Barefoot, they made their way to the nearest settlement of civilians, taking a chance that whoever they found would not be a loyalist, and might help them escape. They had to avoid towns and cities, as they were full of redcoats and Hessians.

The first farmhouse they came to, after walking almost until daybreak, turned out to be that of sympathetic Americans. The escapees learned that they had arrived during a terrible epidemic of cholera, worsened by the fetid airs hanging over the marshy lands they had just trudged through, and that is was doubly unsafe to remain in the area. A group of settlers were heading west that very day, fugitives from the epidemic and headed for free land out there, over land through Maryland and into Pennsylvania, the very direction they wanted to go. Though they had no money to pay their way, the four Ulstermen were welcomed among the settlers, an extension of the old Highland customs and manners of welcoming fellow Scots into the hospitality of their homes. The settlers felt an immediate kinship with them, as much for their strong Gaelic brogue as for their plight with the English.

The trip west was long and hard. It took several days just to cross Delaware and Maryland to the ferry at the Chesapeake Bay, and several weeks before the land changed sufficiently from the lowlands and marshes to growing mountains where the escapees felt more at home. Once past the Chesapeake Bay the band followed the Potomac River westward, heading toward Cumberland before heading north, toward Pitts town. Autumn had already begun, early that year, and the hills and valleys they trudged though began to look more like the loughs and lochs of home. The oxen pulling the wagons heaved great clouds of steamy breath into the chilled air. Their clouds of breath mingled with the low hanging clouds over the forested hills, condensing into heavy drops of dew until the late morning sun began to dry the travelers and the air. Except for the dense forests, this was just like home – wet, gray mornings hung heavy with dew and fog, greasy wet trees and rocks.

By late fall the band of settlers and fellow travelers arrived in western Pennsylvania, tired, exhausted, and happy. It took time, but Hans located his kinsmen in southwestern Pennsylvania, his uncles and cousins Wiley, and other families from Ulster and Ayr. They recognized him immediately, though they’d never met, from his typically craggy Scottish features and his dialect. He was home.

One might wonder where the story goes from here, though for me that’s less of a question than what went before. Who were Hans’ family in County Down? How were they related to the Wileys in Fayette County, Pennsylvania? How many more of those Scots-Irish setters of the rugged western frontier of those days were immigrants from Ireland, or directly from Scotland? Who did Hans leave behind in County Down? Father and mother? Sisters and brothers? When did the Wiley family of Hans’ parents come to Ireland? During the original Plantations early in the seventeenth century, or later, to escape starvation in the latter seventeenth century?

We know he was a weaver by trade, as were many unpropertied and transplanted Scotsmen of the time. We know that shortly after his escape from the English ship that he made it to Union township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. And there, in Union or Dunbar Township, Hans married Susanna Irwin, another old Scottish clans family, born 1762 in Pennsylvania. There backwards the threads woven in this story are mostly conjectural, yet to be discovered, one can hope.

Seeking the families and ancestry of Hans and Susanna (IRWIN) WILEY, he born 1760, County Down, Ireland, she born 1762, Pennsylvania. They married about 1785-90 and had four children in Pennsylvania –

Joseph, b 5/15/1791 Archibald, b. 2/15/1793 Eleanor, b. 2/1795, and John, b. 12/26/.1797

and then, at or before 1800 the Wileys (and others?) relocated from western Pennsylvania, probably going by flatboat down the Youghiogheny and Ohio rivers, to Belmont
County, Ohio, where they joined more Scots-Irish and Scottish settlers in the hills and valleys of that country and had four more children –

William, b. 3/1800 James, b. 6/26/1802 Margaret, b. 7/1804, and Henry, b. 5/7/1807.

– – – – – – –

John Keiffer on this mailing lists and I are cousins (2nd cousins, once removed), searching for some of the same ancestors. Rather than write to each individual contributor at this point (something for later, perhaps) please note my western Pennsylvania connections – Fayette and Westmoreland Counties. Also the intriguing and nagging note that there were other Wiley settlers in that area of the late 1700 – and that they might be relatives. Any and all help is appreaciated, and John and I are willing to share our data on your Belmont County, Ohio (and far-flung) cousins, too!

                 - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  ~ this space for rent ~
                 - - - - - - - - - - - -
         James R. Wiley, aka -> jrwiley@imperium.net

See also:

James Ross Wiley Memorial

James R. Wiley’s Family Tree Maker Genealogy Site

Andrew Wiley’s Practical Joke

It seems that the 18th century American pioneers appreciated a good joke as well as anyone. In this account of early Fayette County, Pennsylvania, Andrew Wiley of Franklin Township pulls a good one on his neighbor and old friend Sammy Rankin. Although no date is given, the author states that the first Franklin Township settlers arrived in 1777 and describes Samuel “Sammy” Rankin as being “among the first settlers.”

Andrew Wiley’s Practical Joke

Among them all, the Rankins, and especially “Sammy” Rankin, were considered the most inveterate jokers of the period. Many a good story is still told of Sammy and the manner in which he used to sacrifice his neighbors, who as often sought to get even with him by returning the compliment, although Sammy was termed “smart enough to hold his own and more too.” For that reason it was exceedingly gratifying to his many friends if they could get the laugh on him.

As a case in point it is told that Sammy, while proceeding to town one cold morning, met Andrew Wiley trudging along on foot, carrying in his hand a jug that looked very much as if it held whiskey. Whisky in jugs was then as common in the land as the most devoted tippler could desire, and it was most natural and reasonable on Sammy’s part to suppose that Wiley’s jug contained whiskey. It was equally natural and reasonable for him to conclude that a drink of whisky on a cold morning as the one in question would be proper and consoling. So after greeting Wiley cheerily, and receiving the same in return, Sammy exclaimed, “Well, Wiley, this is a pretty sharp morning, and as you’ve got a jug of whiskey I will be glad to take a drink with you.”

Wiley owed Sammy one on the last time he had been made a victim, and to that moment had pined for an opportunity to repay the joker. As will be seen, his chance had come. Lifting the jug to Sammy’s hand, remarking that it was a cold morning, that a drink was a good thing at such a time, and that the jug held as good whisky as was ever made, he bade Sam drink heartily.

Thus invited and encouraged by Wiley’s hospitality, his own desire was well, Sammy applied his mouth to that of the jug and drank. The drink was, however, a short one, and was followed by the violent dashing of the jug upon the ground, and the excited exclamation from Sammy of “Great heavens, Wiley, it’s soft soap!” Spluttering and coughing to free his mouth of the nauseous mess, he was inclined to be angry with the author of the mishap, but better judgment prevailed, until, like a philosopher, he laughingly declared to Wiley, “Well, old fellow, you got me that time, but it’s a long lane that has no turn: I’ll pay you off yet.”

Wiley laughed and bade good-by to Sammy by inviting him to meet him again some day for another drink, and advising him to look sharp if he desired to pay off the score.

Whether Sammy did or did not pay off the score does not appear among the chronicles of the time, but the popular conclusion is that if he attempted it he succeeded.

Source: Ellis, Franklin, 1828-1885.History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men, edited by Franklin Ellis.
L.H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, 1882,
p. 551

Earl of Donegal Passenger List

According to advertisements and notices of her departure published in the Belfast Newsletter, the Earl of Donegal, Duncan Ferguson, master, left Belfast, Ireland on October 2, 1767. By December 22, 1767, 81 days later, she with about 294 Irish passengers of 64 different surnames had arrived in Charleston, South Carolina. They were sworn to being Protestant (probably Scots-Irish Presbyterians).

Partial Earl of Donegal Passenger List:

Name Birth Age Acres Line
James Wylie 1722 45 350 95
Sarah Wylie 1729 38 96
Rebecca Wylie 1756 11 97
Margaret Wylie 1758 9 98
Samuel Wylie 1761 6 99
John Wylie 1763 4 100
Robert Wylie 1737 30 100 152
Peter Wylie 1717 50 250 165
Ann Wylie 1720 47 166
Mary Wylie 1754 13 167
William Wylie 1760 7 168
Margaret Wylie 1747 20 100 169
James Wylie 1749 8 100 170
Francis Wylie 1750 17 100 171
William Wylie 1747 20 100 266

Passengers with “Acres” entered received royal land grants
“at or near the Long Canes or in Craven County”

Sources:

Pages 313 to 326 of the South Carolina Council Journal No. 33, January 6, 1767 to December 22, 1767, obtained from the South Carolina Department of Archives and History in Columbia, SC and available on microfilm BMP D552, CO 5/490, Pro Reel 48.

Earl of Donegal Passenger and Royal Land Grant List

Excerpts from The Scotch-Irish in Western Pennsylvania by Robert Garland 1923

Who are the “Scotch-Irish”? There are some who maintain “there is no such animal.” One must therefore consult the authorities.

The late Theodore Roosevelt in his “Winning of the West” says “The dominant strain in their blood was that of the Presbyterian Irish – the Scotch-Irish, as they were often called.” He further remarks that “It is doubtful if we have wholly realized the importance of the part played by that stern, virile people, the Irish, whose preachers taught the creed of Knox and Calvin.

The name ‘Scotch-Irish’ is an awkward compound, and is in many quarters condemned. Curiously enough, there is no one who seems to object to it more strongly as the Irish Catholic. While his feelings toward the ‘Far Downer’ are certainly not affectionate he is nevertheless anxious to claim him with his deeds and trophies, as simply Irish, and grudges to Scotland the claim to any share in producing him. It must be admitted, however, that there is a point of view from which the Scotch-Irish may be regarded as more Scotch than Irish. The difficulty might be compromised by calling them Ulstermen, or Ulster Presbyterians.

In Whitelaw Reid’s address in Edinburgh on “The Scot in America and the Ulster Scot,” after stating that the term “Ulster Scot” is preferable to Scotch-Irish, Mr. Reid makes mention of an Irishman born in Liverpool. The census enumerator was setting him down as English when he indignantly interrupted, “Sure, and is it any rayson for calling a man a horse because he was born in a stable.”

Mr. Reid then quotes our own ex-Congressman John Dalzell, as saying of Pittsburgh: “It is Scotch-Irish in substantial origin, in complexion and history – Scotch-Irish in the countenances of the living, and the records of the dead.”

Mr. Reid also quotes our greatest American historian, George Bancroft, himself a New Englander by birth, who closed his account of the Ulster Scots with these words: “They brought to America no submissive love for England; and their experience and their religion alike bade them meet oppression with prompt resistance. We shall find the first voice publicly raised in America to dissolve all connection with Great Britain come not from the Puritans of New England, or the Dutch of New York, or the planters of Virginia, but from “Scotch-Irish Presbyterians.”

In his book entitled “The Making of Pennsylvania,” Sydney George Fisher, in writing of the settlement of Scotch-Irish in eastern and western Pennsylvania, states “The western Presbyterians were almost exclusively ‘Scotch-Irish’; always sought the frontier and advanced with it westward. In religion there was but little difference between the two divisions, but in character and temperament the western Scotch-Irish were more excitable and violent.” The Whiskey Insurrection proves this, and it must be admitted that the Scotch-Irish were back of that.

For the purpose of making a record in the annals of the Historical Society, I would like to insert in this paper just a few names of those of Scotch-Irish descent who have been prominent in Western Pennsylvania affairs: (With apologies to those whose names have been overlooked. I am not making a directory, but have simply chosen rather hurriedly some fairly representative names.)

I will first mention a few names from the nearby counties, exclusive of Allegheny County.

Armstrong County

      Armstrong
      Cochran
      Crawford
      Henderson
      Henry
      Johnston
      McBrayar
      Orr
      Potter

Fayette County

      Boyle
      Cochrane
      Ewing
      Hogsett
      Searight

Lawrence County

      Aiken
      Crawford
      Cunningham
      Eckles
      Greer
      Jackson
      Kirk
      McCaslin
      Wallace
Beaver County

      Agnew
      Allison
      Beatty
      Bigger
      Boyle
      Calhoun
      Christy
      Darragh
      Davidson
      Dunlap
      Eakin
      Elder
      Harrah
      Hemphill
      Irvin
      Keer
      Moore
      McCartney
      McCauley
      Power
      Thompson
      Wilson

Washington County

      Acheson
      Barnett
      Bell
      Berryman
      Blaine
      Ewing
      Hart
      Marshall
      McKennan
      Patterson
      Redick
      Reed
      Sloan
      Wilson
Butler County

      Bredin
      Butler
      Galbraith
      Greer
      McCandless
      McJunkin
      McQuiston
      Robinson

Greene County

      Chambers
      Flennekin
      Henderson
      Huston
      Kent
      Knox
      McCullough
      McFarland
      Wiley

Westmoreland County

      Coulter
      Cowan
      Duff
      Gear
      Guffey
      Hanna
      Jamison
      Laird
      McCormick
      Moorhead

Source: Robert Garland, The Scotch-Irish in Western Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, Carnegie library, 1923. p 12-13

Cullybackey, County Antrim area of Northern Ireland


sundialedCullybackey, County Antrim area of Northern Ireland
(Courtesy of National Library of Ireland Photographic Collection - Lawrence Collection # 5826)

Pictured here is the Cuningham Memorial Presbyterian Church. This  ite was formerly occupied by the “Sundialed Meeting House”. It received its name from a sundial which was inserted in the wall of the south gable of the church and bore the inscription “John Wylie, 1727“. (Wylie was one of the defenders at the Siege of Derry). The Sacrament of the Lords Supper was administered for the last time in the old building on Sunday 11th April, 1880.

Submitted by Jan Wiley Holmes

See also: